Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
1. Mount Airy
2. Tarboro
3. Mountain Heritage
4. Starmount
5. Eastern Randolph

I'm not comfortable going any further than top 5 because I don't know what Robbinsvillle, Swain, Murphy, North Rowan, and any Eastern teams have coming back.

Let's keep it civil and leave all name-calling out of this. I know a lot of people come here to find out information and love to read about other teams. Please be respectful of others.

That's probably pretty close Deanna. I'm not so sure that Swain is not better than mountain heritage. They have a tremendous offensive and defensive line coming back although they lost some skill people but that's never really been their thing anyway. I heard from a few coaches last year that that was the team nobody wanted to play. Other than that I think your spot on.

the top 3 in any order should be Mt airy, tarboro, ER. If not for bad second half’s or a bad quarter against MA over the last two years they atleast have 1 state title. Starmount Swain and Mountain Heritage are fighting for 4-5.

1. Mt. Airy
2. Tarboro
3. ER
4. Mount Heritage
5. Starmount
5. Thomasville
Of course it feels good to see people think Mt Airy as #1 but when I remove my "fan/supporter" hat, I think there as just too many questions that The Bears must answer.
In no order of importance:
1. Is the new coaching staff up to the challenge, up to the call. Yes almost the entire staff is back. But, the Head Guy has changed. And he will want "his" stamp on the program, as he should. Will it be as productive and seem less as the previous.

2. Boy did Mt Airy lose a lot of talent. And yes they have a lot coming back, but to replace Tyler Mason (VT), Dandy (VT), Stroup, Revels (Concord), Baldwin, and several more really outstanding players, Now that is asking a lot of a small community.

3. Other teams (thinking Tarboro and ER) it does not seem to me lost as much. And both these teams, I am sure, have Mt Airy's picture on the wall somewhere just dreaming about the rematch.

4. Starmount has so much going for it, I can not imagine a situation where they are not in the top 3 teams.

If give comes to push, I think the better list might be :
Tarboro
Starmount-ER
Swain-Robbinsville-Mt Airy
Thomasville-North Rowan

I know nothing about Mountain Heritage, Mitchell, Murphy etc so I am not putting them the mix.

Of course it feels good to see people think Mt Airy as #1 but when I remove my "fan/supporter" hat, I think there as just too many questions that The Bears must answer.
In no order of importance:
1. Is the new coaching staff up to the challenge, up to the call. Yes almost the entire staff is back. But, the Head Guy has changed. And he will want "his" stamp on the program, as he should. Will it be as productive and seem less as the previous.

2. Boy did Mt Airy lose a lot of talent. And yes they have a lot coming back, but to replace Tyler Mason (VT), Dandy (VT), Stroup, Revels (Concord), Baldwin, and several more really outstanding players, Now that is asking a lot of a small community.

3. Other teams (thinking Tarboro and ER) it does not seem to me lost as much. And both these teams, I am sure, have Mt Airy's picture on the wall somewhere just dreaming about the rematch.

4. Starmount has so much going for it, I can not imagine a situation where they are not in the top 3 teams.

If give comes to push, I think the better list might be :
Tarboro
Starmount-ER
Swain-Robbinsville-Mt Airy
Thomasville-North Rowan

I know nothing about Mountain Heritage, Mitchell, Murphy etc so I am not putting them the mix.
I admire the honesty that's rare to see on here especially. I do think until Mount airy gets beaten they are no.1 til proven otherwise. My top 5 would be

Mount airy
Tarboro
StarMount
Swain
Eastern Randolph
Dark horse pick mountain heritage

Who returns for ER? I have MH & ST ranked higher because of the number of starters returning.
They did lose a lot of talent as well but they had a solid number of juniors if I’m not mistaken. The reason I put them up there is I think they are extremely well coached and if they have any talent their coaching staff will have them playing well late in the season. They might have played Mount airy as good or better than any team for 3 quarters. Atleast from what I watched.

I think Starmount can be very good but I'm not as high on them as others. I think they have taken a step back in the coaching department. Not that Pardue can't be good and won't have success but you just lost a guy that will have his name among the greats when it is all said and done. Luckily for Pardue I don't feel there is the pressure of having to follow someone like Lloyd since he was only there 1 season. I hope Starmount can be a top 5 team and make a deep playoff run. The area needs competitive football again across the board.

I was wanting to say swain had a huge line last year and should be a top team this year but wasn't sure how many players they returned.

Last edited:
I think Starmount can be very good but I'm not as high on them as others. I think they have taken a step back in the coaching department. Not that Pardue can't be good and won't have success but you just lost a guy that will have his name among the greats when it is all said and done. Luckily for Pardue I don't feel there is the pressure of having to follow someone like Lloyd since he was only there 1 season. I hope Starmount can be a top 5 team and make a deep playoff run. The area needs competitive football again across the board.
I understand where you're coming from with thinking the coaching took a step back. Hard to replace a coach like Lloyd. However on the defensive side of the ball they took a step forward with Pardue. Defense was hit or miss last year. I believe the team will be improved in that department. Also with the additions that Deana mentioned, I believe in the overall picture the team took a step forward in coaching from last year. I think this team will be very versatile on offense. They have a big strong line that will give Collins plenty of time to do what he wants at QB. Good things happen when the ball is in his hands.

I was over at West Stokes for the 7-on-7 on Thursday and Coach Pardue is very vocal on the defensive side of the ball. That’s his bread and butter. Coach Res running the offense with all his football knowledge has looked good this summer.

This group has now had 1.5 years in a solid weightroom regiment and it looks like it has paid off so far. We will see once the season starts.

1. MT Airy is the team to beat until proven.
2. Tarboro should be much better team this year, then what they have had the 2 previous years.
3. Eastern Randolph should give MT Airy a run for its money or pull off a big win.
4. Mountain Hertiage tough physical team, but don't have the team speed as other programs.
5. Starmount is loaded.

Others in no order

Murphy what do they have returning?
Robbinsville don't know what they have for 2024
Swain County could they be returning to their glory years
Wilson Prep from the east they can recruit kids from anywhere.
North Rowan i don't think they will be as good as 2023
Mitchell could sneak up to the top 5
Thomasville alot of changes all of a sudden with the program.

I don't think The Rams took a step back in coaching it all. In fact I think having somebody that wants to be there who is a great defensive minded coach is a plus for them. Not sure how they got the guy from Bishop. The head guy at Bishop is a heck of a football coach. So whether he was allowed to leave or it was his choice I don't know. But that's a big catch. I don't know about the other guys. As I read this and we're talking about players. From watching the game last year the last 2 years but specifically last year I think they were about three people that could have started for Mount Airy. And I think there's probably about the same amount this year. The Rams struggle with agility on both lines. Except for a few players. Mount Airy has their whole left side of the offensive lineback. An athletic huge freak at center. And the kid that could have started on the varsity last year if he wasn't behind Baldwin at right guard. This is just going on from what I know last year. That defensive end you have clabo You can watch the JV game to see what he did last year. And that was a much hyped JV team. There's nobody on many rosters that are as good as 22, 71, 1, 12 and for sure 4. Who leads all rushers in the state with yards per carry returning. I do think that the Rams have gotten significantly better. But I don't know that the bears have gotten worse by very much. If those guys turn into dudes. Mentally I mean. I don't see it happening. It wasn't just 32 putting pressure on the quarterback last year it was also number 22. Who is faster and weighs more and is stronger. And is only a junior or going to be. He's also the other running back. The bears return their whole defensive line except for one player and the two middle linebackers started five and six games respectively last year when people were out and hurt. I think the secondary is a question because they lost two starters. But when you have a 4.3 corner moving into the other spot I don't think the drop off is that much. They were already way ahead in the weight room just because of their head coach. Don't forget the new head coach was the defensive coordinator. And that defense is nasty. Except for a blown coverage against the Rams I don't think there's a score against that first group last year. But I do think that the Rams are more physical. Then they have been in the past. Sure they have more mature skill people than they have in the past. I just don't see them really giving them more of a game than they did last year. That doesn't mean they're not a top five team though. They have great coaching. Who will accept nothing but the best. Most of my observations are just from watching last year. Not seeing anything this year other than just hearing stuff so if I'm wrong someone correct me. I do think Eastern Randolph has an amazing program. I think that's the best thing that the bears played all year the last two seasons with the exception of tarboro.

Would love to hear from some Swain and North Rowan posters about their teams this year? Also Eastern Randolph
Swain will be very tough in the trenches this year and I don't see many people scoring on their D. Their 3 DL were unreal last year and I believe all 3 were all conference and one was lineman of the year. The big question mark is the the offense and until some of the under classman gets some games under their belt we really wont know. If we run the veer and hold onto the ball we will be cooking but if our O cant hang on to the ball and we come out sling the ball, were going to be in a dog fight every game and relying on our D to make plays.

Reactions: NCBBFB
Swain will be very tough in the trenches this year and I don't see many people scoring on their D. Their 3 DL were unreal last year and I believe all 3 were all conference and one was lineman of the year. The big question mark is the the offense and until some of the under classman gets some games under their belt we really wont know. If we run the veer and hold onto the ball we will be cooking but if our O cant hang on to the ball and we come out sling the ball, were going to be in a dog fight every game and relying on our D to make plays.
Do those sam d lineman play on the o line as well?

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Speaking with and working with Robbinsville folk, they tell me this is not the Knights year..Maybe 3rd in conference..
They are missing their normal stallion in the backfield that they seemed to have had year after year.
Cameron Allison is a big time athlete and his speed at his age is elite, Robbinsville has never had a kid at that age with that kind of speed and that includes Cuttler. I'm not sure if Robbinsville will move Allison up as a freshman (I'd imagine there is a great chance they do) but either way they have their next top back on deck.

Last edited:
Cameron Allison is a big time athlete and his speed at his age is elite, Robbinsville has never had a kid at that age with that kind of speed and that includes Cuttler. I'm not sure if Robbinsville will move Allison up as a freshman (I'd imagine there is a great chance they do) but either way they have their next top back on deck.
While we may not have a “stallion”, we have several top notch ponies that can handle the load 👍 You won’t be able to key on just one this year, and most of the line is back. All but one really. As far as skill goes, we can hold our own with the rest of the smc. And Allison will be on JV.

Will East bladen be any good? They were decent last year

I don't think The Rams took a step back in coaching it all. In fact I think having somebody that wants to be there who is a great defensive minded coach is a plus for them. Not sure how they got the guy from Bishop. The head guy at Bishop is a heck of a football coach. So whether he was allowed to leave or it was his choice I don't know. But that's a big catch. I don't know about the other guys. As I read this and we're talking about players. From watching the game last year the last 2 years but specifically last year I think they were about three people that could have started for Mount Airy. And I think there's probably about the same amount this year. The Rams struggle with agility on both lines. Except for a few players. Mount Airy has their whole left side of the offensive lineback. An athletic huge freak at center. And the kid that could have started on the varsity last year if he wasn't behind Baldwin at right guard. This is just going on from what I know last year. That defensive end you have clabo You can watch the JV game to see what he did last year. And that was a much hyped JV team. There's nobody on many rosters that are as good as 22, 71, 1, 12 and for sure 4. Who leads all rushers in the state with yards per carry returning. I do think that the Rams have gotten significantly better. But I don't know that the bears have gotten worse by very much. If those guys turn into dudes. Mentally I mean. I don't see it happening. It wasn't just 32 putting pressure on the quarterback last year it was also number 22. Who is faster and weighs more and is stronger. And is only a junior or going to be. He's also the other running back. The bears return their whole defensive line except for one player and the two middle linebackers started five and six games respectively last year when people were out and hurt. I think the secondary is a question because they lost two starters. But when you have a 4.3 corner moving into the other spot I don't think the drop off is that much. They were already way ahead in the weight room just because of their head coach. Don't forget the new head coach was the defensive coordinator. And that defense is nasty. Except for a blown coverage against the Rams I don't think there's a score against that first group last year. But I do think that the Rams are more physical. Then they have been in the past. Sure they have more mature skill people than they have in the past. I just don't see them really giving them more of a game than they did last year. That doesn't mean they're not a top five team though. They have great coaching. Who will accept nothing but the best. Most of my observations are just from watching last year. Not seeing anything this year other than just hearing stuff so if I'm wrong someone correct me. I do think Eastern Randolph has an amazing program. I think that's the best thing that the bears played all year the

I don't think The Rams took a step back in coaching it all. In fact I think having somebody that wants to be there who is a great defensive minded coach is a plus for them. Not sure how they got the guy from Bishop. The head guy at Bishop is a heck of a football coach. So whether he was allowed to leave or it was his choice I don't know. But that's a big catch. I don't know about the other guys. As I read this and we're talking about players. From watching the game last year the last 2 years but specifically last year I think they were about three people that could have started for Mount Airy. And I think there's probably about the same amount this year. The Rams struggle with agility on both lines. Except for a few players. Mount Airy has their whole left side of the offensive lineback. An athletic huge freak at center. And the kid that could have started on the varsity last year if he wasn't behind Baldwin at right guard. This is just going on from what I know last year. That defensive end you have clabo You can watch the JV game to see what he did last year. And that was a much hyped JV team. There's nobody on many rosters that are as good as 22, 71, 1, 12 and for sure 4. Who leads all rushers in the state with yards per carry returning. I do think that the Rams have gotten significantly better. But I don't know that the bears have gotten worse by very much. If those guys turn into dudes. Mentally I mean. I don't see it happening. It wasn't just 32 putting pressure on the quarterback last year it was also number 22. Who is faster and weighs more and is stronger. And is only a junior or going to be. He's also the other running back. The bears return their whole defensive line except for one player and the two middle linebackers started five and six games respectively last year when people were out and hurt. I think the secondary is a question because they lost two starters. But when you have a 4.3 corner moving into the other spot I don't think the drop off is that much. They were already way ahead in the weight room just because of their head coach. Don't forget the new head coach was the defensive coordinator. And that defense is nasty. Except for a blown coverage against the Rams I don't think there's a score against that first group last year. But I do think that the Rams are more physical. Then they have been in the past. Sure they have more mature skill people than they have in the past. I just don't see them really giving them more of a game than they did last year. That doesn't mean they're not a top five team though. They have great coaching. Who will accept nothing but the best. Most of my observations are just from watching last year. Not seeing anything this year other than just hearing stuff so if I'm wrong someone correct me. I do think Eastern Randolph has an amazing program. I think that's the best thing that the bears played all year the last two seasons with the exception of tarboro.
I've always thought the line play of Mt Airy was the key. I know they will be a handful again this year. I think the line for the Rams this year will be a strong point. They are much much stronger this year. One of the lineman is being looked at by Power 5 schools because of his size and agility. He's 6'5 265. I may be surprised but I just don't see any 1a line pushing this OL around. Some of the guys are squat and deadlifting 500-600 pounds plus. Joyce for Mt Airy is the only one that I could see being a handful because of his speed and agility. The Rams lost a good lineman through transfer but they gained one who is very very strong, maybe the strongest on the team. I think the offense will light it up this year especially with Coach Res at the helm.

I've always thought the line play of Mt Airy was the key. I know they will be a handful again this year. I think the line for the Rams this year will be a strong point. They are much much stronger this year. One of the lineman is being looked at by Power 5 schools because of his size and agility. He's 6'5 265. I may be surprised but I just don't see any 1a line pushing this OL around. Some of the guys are squat and deadlifting 500-600 pounds plus. Joyce for Mt Airy is the only one that I could see being a handful because of his speed and agility. The Rams lost a good lineman through transfer but they gained one who is very very strong, maybe the strongest on the team. I think the offense will light it up this year especially with Coach Res at the helm.
I'm sure they've gotten stronger. I heard that was one of Lloyd's strong suits. I think from the years before they're just behind. I don't know if they're squats and deadlifts are more than the bears but they might be. None of them are going to move Floyd. And if he wants to go forward he's going to. Last year they made that kid quit squatting when he got to 550 lb and I think his bench was 350 plus last year but I'm not sure. The other kid Dawkins I don't think anybody's going to move that kid either. Plus you have the right guard that I think is probably going to be the other lineman if they need him. I know he played in the state championship. Maybe it'll be a stalemate. The power five guy there was a video on Instagram of him going against Joyce. You're right about Joyce. I think Mount Airy is defense will be as good or slightly better than last year just because of their play up front. Not sure about their offense though there's some big changes there. Missing a lot of guys.

I'm sure they've gotten stronger. I heard that was one of Lloyd's strong suits. I think from the years before they're just behind. I don't know if they're squats and deadlifts are more than the bears but they might be. None of them are going to move Floyd. And if he wants to go forward he's going to. Last year they made that kid quit squatting when he got to 550 lb and I think his bench was 350 plus last year but I'm not sure. The other kid Dawkins I don't think anybody's going to move that kid either. Plus you have the right guard that I think is probably going to be the other lineman if they need him. I know he played in the state championship. Maybe it'll be a stalemate. The power five guy there was a video on Instagram of him going against Joyce. You're right about Joyce. I think Mount Airy is defense will be as good or slightly better than last year just because of their play up front. Not sure about their offense though there's some big changes there. Missing a lot of guys.
That defense is suffocating. I'm anxious to see how the lines do against each other. I wonder if Joyce will be lined up against Harlee? Mario has worked his butt off. Joyce is just one heck of a player to deal with. They're gonna be dangerous on offense too with Joyce running the ball. Not a better tandem in 1a football than him and Martin. Gonna be an exciting year

MA will have to replace #15 #25 #65 at LB. Will be tough.
15 that kid was irreplaceable man. He's a special high school football player or was. I think he's going to college at some division two school in Virginia maybe. 65 played sparingly and didn't play a linebacker he played up outside. But two kids they have in the middle are downhill head crushers. The arms on that one kid holy cow

MA will have to replace #15 #25 #65 at LB. Will be tough.
Not hard to replace those three when you have 4 more hard nose guys who get to play behind that DL. Whoever 12 and 44 was last year was just as good as 25 and 65. Neither of them was as good as 15 but 15 was a once every twenty five years type of kid. Side note 44 looked about as jacked as I could remember for a 1A HS LB when I seen him in the playoffs.

Reactions: REWhitley
Not hard to replace those three when you have 4 more hard nose guys who get to play behind that DL. Whoever 12 and 44 was last year was just as good as 25 and 65. Neither of them was as good as 15 but 15 was a once every twenty five years type of kid. Side note 44 looked about as jacked as I could remember for a 1A HS LB when I seen him in the playoffs.
Hell I forgot about 12. Whew 225 and can run. It was fun watching him run down on kickoffs. He killed people. You right about 44 if those arms have gotten any bigger he's going to have to cut his sleeves. Kid that was heard the whole year the really good wrestler the Martin kid he's in there too. Ouch. I just don't see it happening. No body is not gonna double Floyd Harper and Dawkins. If you don't they are making the play. It's kind of funny to hear all this really. I mean heck I'm hearing North could beat Mount airy. Doing what throwing 5 yard hitches. ? That's all the time he will have.

That defense is suffocating. I'm anxious to see how the lines do against each other. I wonder if Joyce will be lined up against Harlee? Mario has worked his butt off. Joyce is just one heck of a player to deal with. They're gonna be dangerous on offense too with Joyce running the ball. Not a better tandem in 1a football than him and Martin. Gonna be an exciting year
One of them asked for him at a camp. It wasn't pretty. Video on Instagram or something.

Reactions: RealStihl
One of them asked for him at a camp. It wasn't pretty. Video on Instagram or something.
It doesn't surprise me. Joyce will make quick work of a lot of kids. This will be a good test for Mario. He has good agility and technique and he certainly looks the part, he's just behind some of the other kids when it comes to strength. Has a good upside which I think is what Colleges are looking at. With the right weight room training he would be an absolute monster.

I think you made a good point when you mentioned being behind in the weight room even though there's been good progress the past year and a half for the team.

Reactions: roughtrader4444
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT