ADVERTISEMENT

Mt Airy Ashe County

REWhitley

Sep 1, 2021
Next Friday Mt Airy travels to 2 and 1 Ashe County. So far they have played 3 Wilkes County schools winning against Wilkes Central and West Wilkes and losing to North Wilkes. I believe they have 8 seniors and 3 sophomores of a total 21 varsity players. Head Coach Brian Hampton was formally at North Surry.

My guess is that he will continue to have the same level of success against the Bears that he had while at North Surry. None. This should be another game that the Bears rest and heal any players that are beat up or bruised and an opportunity to continue to get 2nd and 3rd teamers experience and testing.

Reactions: sbbbfan
I don't see any chance of the Huskies ever being in this game. Maybe another school that should be replaced on the schedule.

Reactions: REWhitley
The problem with replacing some of the schools on Mt AIry's schedule begins with: with whom?
It is the age old problem: Your a 2A, 3A or 4A school and you take the real chance of getting beat, many times badly.
Mt Airy use to play North Iredell when they had Charles Love and were really good. One of those years they were ranked 3rd in NC 3A. That series ended 2 and 2.
Couple of years ago we went to Eden and came back with a resounding win. No more games that direction.
So who would we replace them with?

Next Friday Mt Airy travels to 2 and 1 Ashe County. So far they have played 3 Wilkes County schools winning against Wilkes Central and West Wilkes and losing to North Wilkes. I believe they have 8 seniors and 3 sophomores of a total 21 varsity players. Head Coach Brian Hampton was formally at North Surry.

My guess is that he will continue to have the same level of success against the Bears that he had while at North Surry. None. This should be another game that the Bears rest and heal any players that are beat up or bruised and an opportunity to continue to get 2nd and 3rd teamers experience and testing.
Tune up game for the bears. MA by 40

Reidsville probably felt the same way. No chance in MA beating them so they dropped MA and schedule Page and teams like that..you see it works both ways..just play who is on the schedule and keep it moving..Win by the margins you're supposed to and be humble.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC_91
The problem with replacing some of the schools on Mt AIry's schedule begins with: with whom?
It is the age old problem: Your a 2A, 3A or 4A school and you take the real chance of getting beat, many times badly.
Mt Airy use to play North Iredell when they had Charles Love and were really good. One of those years they were ranked 3rd in NC 3A. That series ended 2 and 2.
Couple of years ago we went to Eden and came back with a resounding win. No more games that direction.
So who would we replace them with?
I think Gaylax be good mix they're playing West Stokes this season

• Haha
Reactions: UNC_91
I would like to see mt airy and galax play against each other. Have they ever played against one another?

Heck schedule a home and away with Robbinsville or Murphy. Salisbury or West Rowan might be fun matchups.
Only problem is, if you schedule a good program from hours away will they travel for a non conference game, will they travel and will we travel back the next year. AD’s count on gate revenue to run the entire athletic program so non conference matchups are normally close, closer the drive more that will hopefully come. Another issue is out side of East Surry, their isn’t anybody locally (northwest NC)that consistently has a good program in recent years, most have 1 good year out of 4, MA is almost a victim of their own success, they get nothing out of beating the wheels off someone in non conference come playoff time, and schools in rebuilding years try to avoid those whippings

I think galax would be best closest opponent they have been at least final four in VA last few seasons

Reactions: 26BellyG
Only problem is, if you schedule a good program from hours away will they travel for a non conference game, will they travel and will we travel back the next year. AD’s count on gate revenue to run the entire athletic program so non conference matchups are normally close, closer the drive more that will hopefully come. Another issue is out side of East Surry, their isn’t anybody locally (northwest NC)that consistently has a good program in recent years, most have 1 good year out of 4, MA is almost a victim of their own success, they get nothing out of beating the wheels off someone in non conference come playoff time, and schools in rebuilding years try to avoid those whippings

The big point there is gate revenue. I truly do not believe people know the cost of running an athletic program and that some decisions have to be made around generating money to run the buses and pay the officials among other things, including posting that film on Hudl so many of you enjoy watching. I would say most school districts are paying in the $2 range for bus mileage now and football officials are how much now a game? $100 something per and you have a crew of 6?

At least you guys are talking about the weak schedule vs. the Bears dominating and the defense can’t be scored on. Progress in live time Preps fans.

Jury is still out on how good the Bears really are I think. The only quality team they’ve played is East Surry. Granted that was a rivalry game and the score was close but I don’t think you can’t place a lot of value on that score. I think MA handles Ashe this week and likely runs the table in their conference. Playoffs will be interesting. I think Mitchell is the top dog in the west and maybe Andrews next. Mitchell vs Andrews this week will tell us a lot.

MA misses Xtra point bc holder was out hurt on play before. Would never had to went for 2. MA kicker is really good
Don’t understand your point Buzz. East Surry and Mt Airy score can be thrown out in my opinion in terms of judging how good MA is. If we throw East Surry game out, your other two opponents are a combined 1-5. That’s not the Bears fault, you play who’s on your schedule. Sadly your remaining schedule is so bad going forward that you can show up in all those games and likely win with the only exception being Starmount. I don’t doubt Mt Airy is a good team and have some good players. They are likely in the top 3-4 in the west but there will be a couple of other teams that are more battle tested when playoffs get here. That’s why I say the jury is still out on just how good the Bears are or will be. Good luck!

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
Our Defense grew up during the 2nd half of the East Surry game and that was a major concern for the early season games. We still need to improve on our passing game. East Surry contained our run game and we did not pass protect very well. Hope Starmount and East Wilkes are good teams that can give us a battle.

Every conference I can think of these days are now top heavy. NW,WHC,SMC, the Yadkin Valley conference. I can't think of any that are tough top to bottom. And all generally play other schools that are close to their area. Hard to travel with the expenses these days. When you play hard and many play both ways you will have injuries. Mitchell has players out. It is just small school football.

Reactions: 26BellyG
Every conference I can think of these days are now top heavy. NW,WHC,SMC, the Yadkin Valley conference. I can't think of any that are tough top to bottom. And all generally play other schools that are close to their area. Hard to travel with the expenses these days. When you play hard and many play both ways you will have injuries. Mitchell has players out. It is just small school football.

That's a good observation. I think the quality of football has really gone down in 1A. Probably even across all divisions in the state. There was a time that Mount Airy, Starmount, Elkin, East Wilkes, East Surry, and Surry Central could beat each other on any given night.

That's a good observation. I think the quality of football has really gone down in 1A. Probably even across all divisions in the state. There was a time that Mount Airy, Starmount, Elkin, East Wilkes, East Surry, and Surry Central could beat each other on any given night.
True! That was a long long time ago. Like back in the early mid 90’s. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since those days. I will also say this, when that was happening, no one was making deep playoff runs either. When the early 2000’s hit, Elkin, East Surry, and Starmount were the elite around there. I don’t remember MA going any deeper than the 2nd round during that time. When MA started clicking the other three fell off somewhat. Small town football is the same no matter where you go in western NC. Things run in cycles and the talent pool dries up quick and then it burst open again.

Always enjoy the wins. They are hard to come by! But support your team even when they are struggling. I thanked several Golden Eagle fans for coming to Wallace Shelton and we had some nice & encouraging conversations.

Don’t understand your point Buzz. East Surry and Mt Airy score can be thrown out in my opinion in terms of judging how good MA is. If we throw East Surry game out, your other two opponents are a combined 1-5. That’s not the Bears fault, you play who’s on your schedule. Sadly your remaining schedule is so bad going forward that you can show up in all those games and likely win with the only exception being Starmount. I don’t doubt Mt Airy is a good team and have some good players. They are likely in the top 3-4 in the west but there will be a couple of other teams that are more battle tested when playoffs get here. That’s why I say the jury is still out on just how good the Bears are or will be. Good luck!
Point is East Surry ranked #1 in 2A and MA if not for missed xtra point bc the holder was out on the play would prob been ot game. If ES is #1 in 2A MA must be pretty good,

Last edited:
True! That was a long long time ago. Like back in the early mid 90’s. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since those days. I will also say this, when that was happening, no one was making deep playoff runs either. When the early 2000’s hit, Elkin, East Surry, and Starmount were the elite around there. I don’t remember MA going any deeper than the 2nd round during that time. When MA started clicking the other three fell off somewhat. Small town football is the same no matter where you go in western NC. Things run in cycles and the talent pool dries up quick and then it burst open again.

I also think many programs have got too complicated with what they do. Elkin went away from their bed and butter in the mid 2000s and went all to hell. Of course alot of that is talent.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT