ADVERTISEMENT

Mountain ball

I heard Reynolds lost a kid this year to a private school to reclass. Not sure which one
I believe ACR’s leading receiver from last year went to Asheville School (not Asheville High), to reclass. He would have been a Senior at ACR this coming year, but will be a junior at Asheville School. He will be missed especially on special teams (great kick returner) I do believe we have good receiver depth, I also think we will be high run volume team with the return of Junior Max Guest who has several D1 offers already.

I believe ACR’s leading receiver from last year went to Asheville School (not Asheville High), to reclass. He would have been a Senior at ACR this coming year, but will be a junior at Asheville School. He will be missed especially on special teams (great kick returner) I do believe we have good receiver depth, I also think we will be high run volume team with the return of Junior Max Guest who has several D1 offers already.
Thanks for the info. You guys should certainly be favored in conference play really good non conference too.

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
I am not sure about football, but I do know that in other sports, college coaches have suggested reclassification. It usually when they know that recruit won't step in a contribute immediately. They have them work on getting stronger, faster and work on specific sport related things they see that needs improvement. Plus it helps them somewhat on grades because being older using they are usually on track to graduate and this allows them to start some college level classes with the extra year.
Many recruits hands have been forced with the rise of the transfer portal. Reclassing is basically another extension of that because they're not getting as many offers coming out of HS.

You are a liar.
Pisgah had 2 more flags than Robbinsville.
I would know.

Robbinsville 1-0 vs Pisgah. Fact.
😁😆your right you had the only fact. I am a liar, however I will say I don’t mind playing Robinsville but not with SMC refs. 40 flags in a game is just a bit much. Good memory on all that, suppose you were playing, I couldn’t find anything on maxpreps about Robinsvilles penalty yards that night so I’ll trust ya on that. Still the worst game I’ve ever seen. How will you guys be this year?

Reactions: 87SwO and BK13T-$
Robbinsville is returning a 2,200 yd back and another 1,000 yd back as a sophomore but was injured last year as a Junior, and picked up a 1,000 yd back from Cherokee.All three are seniors. Start both ways .also got a RB back that moved last year and is back now.
Two 6'4" QBs. Junior and a senior.
The starting QB broke collar bone week 7.
Back up did good after a few bad weeks to start with. Not sure which will start. Both are capable. Probably depends on which one will be the better WR.
We lost our best WR and a few lineman.
Will we be good? Yes. Really good? Depends on the line which will be kinda young.

• Haha
Reactions: 87SwO
Many recruits hands have been forced with the rise of the transfer portal. Reclassing is basically another extension of that because they're not getting as many offers coming out of HS.
1. The kids that jump to church league are future portal kids anyways. Jumping ship for greener pastures is a red flag in the character dept.

2. Church league competition doesn't hold a candle to public school ball so that's not making them better. Playing the Reynolds, Pisgah's, Tuscolas, and Asheville's of the world vs Asheville Christian Def and Blind and The Holy JV Trinity.

3. Reclassification and open recruitment by the church league schools are a major problem for the future, esp with NIL money coming to high school.

• Haha
Reactions: 87SwO
1. The kids that jump to church league are future portal kids anyways. Jumping ship for greener pastures is a red flag in the character dept.
Listen, I hate it as much as the next guy and I am big LOYALTY guy but I understand that this isn't a normal situation for current HS recruits. If they were just transferring to play their senior year out, sure I would agree but they're gaining an extra year of HS eligibility and more time to get recruited. With the NCAA granting an extra year due to COVID to current collegiate players plus the rise of the transfer portal and NIL keeping kids in college longer, it all equals to less opportunities for current high school recruits that they might have had 5 years ago. They're taking every opportunity they can get and there's nothing wrong with that, it can only be wrong in how you handle that situation with your current school, coaches and teammates.

Reactions: shutdownD24
Crompton won't work miracles in year 1 in my opinion. It took years for West to get to where it was, he worked with Kachilo privately for a long time before he was coach. He'll need to identify some young talent and start grooming a QB, he'll need to find athletes who can play receiver and he'll need to develop an OL that can pass block. That's not all going to happen in his first year.
While I agree Crompton has to find a QB and develop his offense, the team was 10-2 a year ago. Did they lose a lot of players or will he have some experience to lean on until he can do so?

While I agree Crompton has to find a QB and develop his offense, the team was 10-2 a year ago. Did they lose a lot of players or will he have some experience to lean on until he can do so?
I picked them to finish 3rd in that conference, but I could see them dropping to 4th or 5th also. I am really excited for Crompton. Great guy

2. Church league competition doesn't hold a candle to public school ball so that's not making them better. Playing the Reynolds, Pisgah's, Tuscolas, and Asheville's of the world vs Asheville Christian Def and Blind and The Holy JV Trinity.

3. Reclassification and open recruitment by the church league schools are a major problem for the future, esp with NIL money coming to high school.
If you’re talking about Christ School, you might want to pump the brakes. They play a pretty tough schedule. Rabun-Gap Nacoochee for instance beat CS at home 21-14 a week after going to AC Reynolds and beating the Rockets 37-28.

CS also played Providence Day whose only loss was to Robin-Gap and who beat 13-2 Weddington (the same Weddington that lost in the state semifinals to Grimsley the week after eliminating ACR).

CS also played Charlotte Christian who won 13 games with one loss being in overtime by 1 point to that Weddington team and another being to Rabun Gap.

Pretty sure that qualifies as pretty decent competition.

Last edited:
They lose a ton of last years production.

There have been a lot of good ball players here in the mountains that have went and reclassed and got a big D1 offer. The most recent one that pops up in my mind is Conley when he went from Asheville To Christ School. No big D1 offers to going to UNC. I heard Reynolds lost a kid this year to a private school to reclass. Not sure which one

Listen, I hate it as much as the next guy and I am big LOYALTY guy but I understand that this isn't a normal situation for current HS recruits. If they were just transferring to play their senior year out, sure I would agree but they're gaining an extra year of HS eligibility and more time to get recruited. With the NCAA granting an extra year due to COVID to current collegiate players plus the rise of the transfer portal and NIL keeping kids in college longer, it all equals to less opportunities for current high school recruits that they might have had 5 years ago. They're taking every opportunity they can get and there's nothing wrong with that, it can only be wrong in how you handle that situation with your current school, coaches and teammates.

It's situational. Was there an injury? Is a kid a better prospect at a position they aren't playing at their home school? Is the kid a late bloomer?

For instance, the Holloway kid from Andrews went to Rabun Gap a few years ago, reclassed, and switched from QB to WR. He went from 0 offers to a handful of P5 offers, and was just All-ACC Honorable Mention at VA Tech as a true freshman. That stunk for Andrews but was the right move for him. However, a lineman (West) from Andrews that's about to be a senior has offers from half the ACC without leaving his hometown school and reclassifying, and would have no need to do that.

Reactions: BK13T-$
If you’re talking about Christ School, you might want to pump the brakes. They play a pretty tough schedule. Rabun-Gap Nacoochee for instance beat CS at home 21-14 a week after going to AC Reynolds and beating the Rockets 37-28.

CS also played Providence Day whose only loss was to Robin-Gap and who beat 13-2 Weddington (the same Weddington that lost in the state semifinals to Grimsley the week after eliminating ACR).

CS also played Charlotte Christian who won 13 games with one loss being in overtime by 1 point to that Weddington team and another being to Rabun Gap.

Pretty sure that qualifies as pretty decent competition.
Listen I know that there are good church league schools out there somewhere. There would have to be as many players as they are stealing from the public school guys right? I mean they are bringing kids in that are already well coached and developed thanks to WNC public schools. But you will never sell me on those church league games being as physical or challenging competition wise as Pisgah vs Tuscola, Asheville vs Reynolds, Swain vs Robbinsville, Hell even West Henderson vs Hendersonville. Maybe I'm just a hater, or an old timer, or maybe it just boils down to me not having respect for people that wear sports coats and bow ties.

It's situational. Was there an injury? Is a kid a better prospect at a position they aren't playing at their home school? Is the kid a late bloomer?

For instance, the Holloway kid from Andrews went to Rabun Gap a few years ago, reclassed, and switched from QB to WR. He went from 0 offers to a handful of P5 offers, and was just All-ACC Honorable Mention at VA Tech as a true freshman. That stunk for Andrews but was the right move for him. However, a lineman (West) from Andrews that's about to be a senior has offers from half the ACC without leaving his hometown school and reclassifying, and would have no need to do that.
I seem to recall the Tucker Holloway situation involved NC's delayed decisions regarding return to playing after the Covid shutdown. We took a long time making a decision compared to the states of Tenn, Ga, and SC.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I seem to recall the Tucker Holloway situation involved NC's delayed decisions regarding return to playing after the Covid shutdown. We took a long time making a decision compared to the states of Tenn, Ga, and SC.
I’m sure that had some to do with it, but he could have gone there without reclassing (like the Bryson kid from Tuscola that is at Minnesota now) if that was all there was to it.

I’m sure that had some to do with it, but he could have gone there without reclassing (like the Bryson kid from Tuscola that is at Minnesota now) if that was all there was to it.
Didn't some Hayesville players transfer to Towns Co., GA for the same reason? Sometimes 2020 seems so long ago.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Listen I know that there are good church league schools out there somewhere. There would have to be as many players as they are stealing from the public school guys right? I mean they are bringing kids in that are already well coached and developed thanks to WNC public schools. But you will never sell me on those church league games being as physical or challenging competition wise as Pisgah vs Tuscola, Asheville vs Reynolds, Swain vs Robbinsville, Hell even West Henderson vs Hendersonville. Maybe I'm just a hater, or an old timer, or maybe it just boils down to me not having respect for people that wear sports coats and bow ties.
You can feel that way if you want but Christ School has laid out some pretty heavy duty beatings on some very good Robbinsville teams in recent years (yeah, they blew out Robbinsville that you mention in 2016, 2017, 2018) and play a schedule of teams that will smoke the teams you mention. They played Maiden (13-1) in 2021 and lost in OT, play Providence Day every year and that team is stacked, 2019 played a 10 win Murphy team and beat them by 3 TDs. You may not respect them but you better know how good that are if you step on the field with them cause they can light you up.

What I was most impressed with from Christ school was depth … yes they are good but when a backup comes in they don’t drop off any and got better as the game goes on …. They looked better in the 4th than the 1st… they supposed to tho

Didn't some Hayesville players transfer to Towns Co., GA for the same reason? Sometimes 2020 seems so long ago.

Yeah a whole handful, and another kid from Andrews went to Towns, too. Still didn’t help their football record much but ended up being their best basketball team ever. Ultimately I think whether it’s a good move to transfer to a private school is situational based on looking at all the circumstances—and Covid year being in play would be an example of that. For Holloway, he was on the skinny side, had been playing a different position than he wanted to play in college, and thought he might lose his senior year. So it was the right choice for him. Same for kids who have blown a knee out or started playing late or need something different academically. But it isn’t the right move for every kid.

You can feel that way if you want but Christ School has laid out some pretty heavy duty beatings on some very good Robbinsville teams in recent years (yeah, they blew out Robbinsville that you mention in 2016, 2017, 2018) and play a schedule of teams that will smoke the teams you mention. They played Maiden (13-1) in 2021 and lost in OT, play Providence Day every year and that team is stacked, 2019 played a 10 win Murphy team and beat them by 3 TDs. You may not respect them but you better know how good that are if you step on the field with them cause they can light you up.

Yeah and when we finally had a team that might beat Christ School in 2019 at Robbinsville they just so happen to break contract and drop us.

Reactions: VeerAndShoot

Here is an interview with Reynolds Coach Shane Laws that was on the new podcast Behind the Beard

Watauga had 28 in 2002.
That's shows you're numbers are wrong.
21+2=23
Watauga 2002 28.

Yes I believe it was a record for combined team penalties. Around 40 total
Honest question: Do you remember WHEN those penalties evened out? If I remember correctly it was very lopsided against Pisgah in the first half, something like 17-5. In the second half it leaned more toward Robbinsville. The Visitors' set of stands is right at the fence. You could hear a lot. In the first half, one of our coaches didn't like a penalty and yelled "Are you kidding me?" and walked away in disgust. He got an unsportsmanlike penalty. The crowd on Pisgah's side really started booing and one of the officials said something to the whole crowd, like he was going to give us all another one. I've been going to games since I was 5 years old. (50+ yrs). I have seen bad calls over the years, many times. That was the ONLY game I ever felt like the refs felt like they had something to prove. Pisgah was 3A in a mixed 3A/2A conference that year, and I felt like it was the Smoky Mtn Conference refs saying the bigger conference team wasn't going to push them around. But something changed at halftime. I don't know who got talked to, but things changed. Really was the worst game, as a whole I've ever seen officiated.

Also, it's "Your" numbers are wrong, not you're. Sorry.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Sorry professor 😂

Robbinsville doesn't need help beating Pisgah.
We wasn't even that good that year.

I think the refs got onto the Pisgah fans for throwing trash on the field during the game. I guess you didn't see that part did you professor.

Was you one of the ones that threw trash on the field and busting out windshields?

Sorry professor 😂

Robbinsville doesn't need help beating Pisgah.
We wasn't even that good that year.

I think the refs got onto the Pisgah fans for throwing trash on the field during the game. I guess you didn't see that part did you professor.

Was you one of the ones that threw trash on the field and busting out windshields?
If you're talking to me, definitely not. Never did any damage at a game, never threw trash. It's not right, it's just petty. Pisgah won at a Brevard game one year and 6 or 8 windshields got broken. Don't need to teach the kids to act like that.

100% think we’re going to have one of the best recruiting classes in the mountains.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT