ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell @ Draughn

Who wins?

• Draughn

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • Mitchell

Votes: 32 43.2%

• Total voters
In my opinion you can’t count them as out of district if they all live in the area. I feel like most think transfers mean that they are driving 30+ min one way to school when reality it might be just a few miles. At the end of the day no matter how many transfers any team has can we agree to think first that they might be there due to a bad situation at other places? Just my thoughts
And your right hs football life...it was and is about the circumstances. At the time of those said "transfers", meaning 3 years ago, parents made a decision to not send their kids to the "other" high school because the "other" high school was on their 4th coach in 7 years. That is not an environment that supports an athlete's development and you cannot build a program when a school changes coaches like people change underwear. Parents want stability for their kids and an environment to thrive, educationally and athletically. At the end of the day, it is the parent's choice where to send their kid and it doesn't matter who gets pissed about it..

And your right hs football life...it was and is about the circumstances. At the time of those said "transfers", meaning 3 years ago, parents made a decision to not send their kids to the "other" high school because the "other" high school was on their 4th coach in 7 years. That is not an environment that supports an athlete's development and you cannot build a program when a school changes coaches like people change underwear. Parents want stability for their kids and an environment to thrive, educationally and athletically. At the end of the day, it is the parent's choice where to send their kid and it doesn't matter who gets pissed about it..
So do you favor a statewide transfer portal for high school? Sounds like what you’re describing.

Neither can you build a program when kids get to transfer because they had to play wide receiver instead of quarterback. Or don‘t get the most carries. Or whatever other reason the parents use when they teach their kid that he or she is more important than the team.

I know nothing about this school or situation, but the scenario described here makes me sad for the future of high school sports.

You count them as out of district if they are
" out of district"

So in you logic Hayesville could get 6 transfers from Murphy but because it's only 10 miles apart it's not a transfer? Wow.
That's silly. That gives advantage to areas that have multiple schools in small area. Rural schools wouldnt be able to do this.
Basically what you said is what charters get to do. Your basically calling Draughn a charter.
I do not know how other counties work so I would be completely ignorant in assuming. Based on the map view Burke county has 4 HS and 3 of the four are within 10 min of each other. I understand your point but I believe there has to be more to this story than just calling them a charter school. I may be wrong. I’ll admit that

Reactions: CoachHines72
So do you favor a statewide transfer portal for high school? Sounds like what you’re describing.

Neither can you build a program when kids get to transfer because they had to play wide receiver instead of quarterback. Or don‘t get the most carries. Or whatever other reason the parents use when they teach their kid that he or she is more important than the team.

I know nothing about this school or situation, but the scenario described here makes me sad for the future of high school sports.
You are right, you know nothing about the school or the circumstances...best to take a hard pass if you don't have all the facts or educate yourself on the circumstances before making outlandish statements like you made.

You are right, you know nothing about the school or the circumstances...best to take a hard pass if you don't have all the facts or educate yourself on the circumstances before making outlandish statements like you made.
Just basing those comments on your description.

Reactions: BK13T-$

I think the narrative that they are full of transfers is kind of ridiculous. It should count for something that most of them started HS at that school and there wasn’t any transfer once in HS. QB, RB, WR

A lot of teams have kids that are transfer's. If my memory is correct robbinsville has had at least 6 kids transfer from Andrews in the last 4 years. I would like to see kids stay at their schools but if they don't like it why make them stay.

Bullseye 🎯

I think the narrative that they are full of transfers is kind of ridiculous. It should count for something that most of them started HS at that school and there wasn’t any transfer once in HS. QB, RB, WR
Great point. There are over 40 kids on that team and we are talking about 5 or 6 kids! That discredits the other kids on this team that have sweat and bled to make this team what it is.

In my opinion you can’t count them as out of district if they all live in the area. I feel like most think transfers mean that they are driving 30+ min one way to school when reality it might be just a few miles. At the end of the day no matter how many transfers any team has can we agree to think first that they might be there due to a bad situation at other places? Just my thoughts
Plus if you watch their film which I haven't seen the Mitchell game but I've seen another one. They're not very good. So either Mitchell is bad. Or they just had a bad game. The film I saw of the boys from Burke county I was unimpressed. Not fast. Big but not strong. The running back does look impressive. The receivers they're not getting open against athletes. They're just not. So it'll be a long day for the QB. I'm sure Thomasville hopes they get them. So the Mitchell team must have been really bad this year? I haven't seen them play. Because the Mitchell team that I saw play Mount airy last year was bringing it. I hope that Stan doesn't take this to heart too much and start writing more letters.

• Haha
Bullseye 🎯
I’ve seen this happen in the SMC also. PARENTS moving their kids to another school because they think little Johnny will get to play the position he wants or get more playing time and get a college scholarship because they are on a winning team. 99.9 % of the time none of this happens. Some might get a Championship ring but that’s about it. Oh little Johnny never got on the field but he got that ring and he is going to be a Walk On or a PREFERRED Walk On at WCU and then reality sets in. I’m sure some have legitimate reasons for transferring but speaking from a Athletic point of view it doesn’t accomplish a thing especially in our area.

Plus if you watch their film which I haven't seen the Mitchell game but I've seen another one. They're not very good. So either Mitchell is bad. Or they just had a bad game. The film I saw of the boys from Burke county I was unimpressed. Not fast. Big but not strong. The running back does look impressive. The receivers they're not getting open against athletes. They're just not. So it'll be a long day for the QB. I'm sure Thomasville hopes they get them. So the Mitchell team must have been really bad this year? I haven't seen them play. Because the Mitchell team that I saw play Mount airy last year was bringing it. I hope that Stan doesn't take this to heart too much and start writing more letters.
Rough, who is your team?

Draughn is a good football team with speed
Thanks for the compliment Neer. Mitchell is a good team too! You know it is funny both of my boys were telling me after the first game, how complimentary several of the Mitchell players were to them. They had just went through battle and were on the wrong end of the scoreboard, yet offered compliments. That is special and that is sportsmanship. If the outcome is different this time, I would hope my boys would do the same.

I don’t have a horse in this race but I do have an opinion. There is not a team in western NC (because that’s all that I’ve watched) that the QB and RB couldn’t play for and start at their respective positions. Mitchell included. I think that they will go beyond the HS fields to Saturdays for some big schools.

I say this because the QB is probably 6’6 or taller and can sling it. With his height alone he will attract big schools as long as he has the grades. An athletic QB or TE at the next level. The RB is elusive and has power and looks to be a TD machine.

Again I am not throwing no Ill remarks at any program I just think that They do have some talented kids that will play at the next level.

A lot of teams have kids that are transfer's. If my memory is correct robbinsville has had at least 6 kids transfer from Andrews in the last 4 years. I would like to see kids stay at their schools but if they don't like it why make them stay.
Let's here it? Who?
We are talking about kids starting on the football team

Reactions: Purple1995
The Rattle boys transferred to Andrews from Robbinsville. They moved. Not the same as 6 starters playing at different schools without address change. That's called open district.

Let's here it? Who?
We are talking about kids starting on the football team
Not putting kids names on here and not bashing robbinsville for having them. Just stating facts. There's a lot of transferring going on in NC. I just think its double standards to trash some teams but not mention your own. Almost every team in the state has had a transfer move in.

You know every year there's always a discussion about how many possible future college players are on teams. I've seen high school teams with a D1 player or players and still not have a great season and teams with not even a Dlll player have really good seasons.
Mitchell example I know it was a 100 years ago lol but the Mitchell team I was on my senior year from 10th-12th were multiple players who played small college and 3 two seniors and one Jr who played D1 one of them All American and we were 6-4 didn't make the playoffs. While I'm not sure I maybe wrong someone can correct me but I don't believe one senior from last year's team is playing college football and I believe they had a pretty good year.

You know every year there's always a discussion about how many possible future college players are on teams. I've seen high school teams with a D1 player or players and still not have a great season and teams with not even a Dlll player have really good seasons.
Mitchell example I know it was a 100 years ago lol but the Mitchell team I was on my senior year from 10th-12th were multiple players who played small college and 3 two seniors and one Jr who played D1 one of them All American and we were 6-4 didn't make the playoffs. While I'm not sure I maybe wrong someone can correct me but I don't believe one senior from last year's team is playing college football and I believe they had a pretty good year.
You just never know who’s going to make it at the next level. I meant no disrespect in my last comment I just think that those 2 I mentioned will be scholarship players at the next level.

Are you acknowledging that because they are starters it changes things? Before I’ve read where it might not have been you saying it but that they weren’t good.
He just hasn't made it clear if it was even a kid that plays sports. It's kind of vague.

The issue is needing a QB,RB. And two WR for example and get QB,RB,and two WR through transfers.

Getting a few that never see the field obviously isn't for athletics.

The problem isn't the kids, it's the slack rules that let these advantages continue.

But, I see light at the end of the tunnel.
Things are happening at a slow pace to address the issue. In GA out of county kids will push you up a class. They are pushing to change it to out of district kids instead of county and that's what I'd like to see happen in NC.

Not putting kids names on here and not bashing robbinsville for having them. Just stating facts. There's a lot of transferring going on in NC. I just think its double standards to trash some teams but not mention your own. Almost every team in the state has had a transfer move in.
Don't think so.

Great point. There are over 40 kids on that team and we are talking about 5 or 6 kids! That discredits the other kids on this team that have sweat and bled to make this team what it is.
Yeah 5 or 6 in 1a doesn't make a difference.

😳

He just hasn't made it clear if it was even a kid that plays sports. It's kind of vague.

The issue is needing a QB,RB. And two WR for example and get QB,RB,and two WR through transfers.

Getting a few that never see the field obviously isn't for athletics.

The problem isn't the kids, it's the slack rules that let these advantages continue.

But, I see light at the end of the tunnel.
Things are happening at a slow pace to address the issue. In GA out of county kids will push you up a class. They are pushing to change it to out of district kids instead of county and that's what I'd like to see happen in NC.
Yes they all played sports for robbinsville. I'm not saying that's the only reason they transferred because I can't speak for them or their parents on their decision.

You just never know who’s going to make it at the next level. I meant no disrespect in my last comment I just think that those 2 I mentioned will be scholarship players at the next level.
I didn't take it as disrespect. I'm just saying it's always discussed every year and I'm just saying sometimes in high school while sometimes having that star player makes a difference but sometimes it doesn't it's a team and even if a team has a say a future D1 RB if he doesn't have a good line blocking for him he can't do it all himself.
Footnote Mitchell does have one player being looked at by some D1 schools but it's for his kicking ability.

I don’t have a horse in this race but I do have an opinion. There is not a team in western NC (because that’s all that I’ve watched) that the QB and RB couldn’t play for and start at their respective positions. Mitchell included. I think that they will go beyond the HS fields to Saturdays for some big schools.

I say this because the QB is probably 6’6 or taller and can sling it. With his height alone he will attract big schools as long as he has the grades. An athletic QB or TE at the next level. The RB is elusive and has power and looks to be a TD machine.

Again I am not throwing no Ill remarks at any program I just think that They do have some talented kids that will play at the next level.
I do too. But they're bad up front that's pretty much what it is. If he can't throw the ball in two or three seconds he's going to get hit. From what I understand and it wasn't a one-time thing. He didn't do well with that last year. We'll see what happens when it happens this year. Because it will. I think there are a whole lot of teams like Thomasville Murphy robbinsville even Andrews. Mount airy even. That can lock those receivers up. And if that line's not better. It ain't beating 7 in the box.

Reactions: swatz19
The Rattle boys transferred to Andrews from Robbinsville. They moved. Not the same as 6 starters playing at different schools without address change. That's called open district.
I wasn’t even talking about them when I wrote my comments. I’m a lot older than you and I can think back many years not just in the recent times. My comment just meant we have transfers in our area to and not just football. You are correct in that we don’t have several players at once.

can i ask a legitimate question? where was these comments last year when yall all beat the crap out of them? just curious.
I just made a comment that transfers happen everywhere even in the SMC. I’m from Andrews and over the years I’ve seen quite a few. I know in some cases they are legitimate reasons but for the biggest part I don’t like to see it. It’s not just football either. Just putting my two cents in on this. Carry on, I will mind my own business

Just so we are clear here BK, I guess you live in Valdese, know where each player lives and therefore that makes you the resident expert on all things Draughn. Got it. Everyone, welcome BK, he is now the resident expert on all things Draughn. If you have any questions, please float them his way. He will be here the rest of the year, or until Robbinsville gets bounced from the playoffs.

I didn't take it as disrespect. I'm just saying it's always discussed every year and I'm just saying sometimes in high school while sometimes having that star player makes a difference but sometimes it doesn't it's a team and even if a team has a say a future D1 RB if he doesn't have a good line blocking for him he can't do it all himself.
Footnote Mitchell does have one player being looked at by some D1 schools but it's for his kicking ability.
And a very good kicker he is! That kid has D1 talent as a kicker or punter. Stake my paycheck to that.

I do too. But they're bad up front that's pretty much what it is. If he can't throw the ball in two or three seconds he's going to get hit. From what I understand and it wasn't a one-time thing. He didn't do well with that last year. We'll see what happens when it happens this year. Because it will. I think there are a whole lot of teams like Thomasville Murphy robbinsville even Andrews. Mount airy even. That can lock those receivers up. And if that line's not better. It ain't beating 7 in the box.
So, how do you see that they are bad up front? The Oline has given up 1 sack all year. QB has over 1800 yds passing, 28 tds against 4 int. Over 500 rushing yards and 8 tds. The RB's (plural). One has over 1200 yards on 107 carries and 21 rushing TD's (missed basically the first 4 games) and a receiving TD. The backup has over 800 yards rushing and 16 tds. I would say, based off those numbers, their line is pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT