ADVERTISEMENT

Mallard Creek (25) at Asheville (9)

AhsCougar1

Oct 3, 2007
I never thought I would ever be discussing Mallard Creek coming to Asheville High for a playoff game. A 100 year old school with 1,100 students vs a 14 year old school with 2,500 students. Mallard creek is traditionally one of the best teams in the state of North Carolina. In fact, a couple of their state champion teams have been nationally ranked.
According to maxpreps, mallard creek has 104 players. I don’t know if that’s right but I can assure you they’ll have more than we will.
Nobody gave this mallard creek team a chance last week against state power Butler. I have heard multiple people say that this isnt your typical powerhouse mallard creek team from years past, but they not only beat Butler (8), they dominated them from start to finish. Mallard creek has 4 losses, but one was the number 1 team in NC, one was the number 1 team in SC, one was the number 2 team in NC, and one was a bad loss to North Meck. This will be the best team Asheville has faced all year. We are rolling pretty good on a 9 game winning streak but Mallard Creek will be a different animal. We are happy to be playing a home game this week and we will be the only game in WNC’s largest county. I expect a big crowd for this one. As I said last week about Davie county, I hope mallard creek enjoys their trip to North Carolina’s best high school football stadium…. But not too much.

It is a very nice stadium I was there in 1997. But boy was it cold, that wind was rough blowing down into the stadium. But it was worth the trip up there that night.😀

I have relatives that live up close to the area. More so in Weaverville area. But I have a cousin that played in the band for Asheville back in the 90’s. I got to go and see Asheville play the year he was in the band. Very nice Stadium. That was the only time of watching Asheville play. And definitely it gets cold up in that area. As for the game. I really don’t know what to think. I’m curious with Asheville having a good defense they maybe can make this an interesting game. They put up over 60 on Davie. One thing for sure. We will find out Friday night.

Reactions: AhsCougar1
It is a very nice stadium I was there in 1997. But boy was it cold, that wind was rough blowing down into the stadium. But it was worth the trip up there that night.😀
Did you come back in 03?

How in the world is a school with 1100 in 4a ? That is ridiculous ! Good luck Asheville ! Maybe you get the MC that lost to N Meck. N Meck is not very good.

How in the world is a school with 1100 in 4a ? That is ridiculous ! Good luck Asheville ! Maybe you get the MC that lost to N Meck. N Meck is not very good.
That’s why I have no prediction or any clue on what to expect. Is it the mallard creek who lost to north mecklenburg or the mallard creek that thoroughly dominated butler ?

That was what I was thinking. That’s crazy a school with 1100 students is 4A.

That was what I was thinking. That’s crazy a school with 1100 students is 4A.
Hell it may not even be 1,100!!
Which really sucks too cause I’d REALLY like our chances in 3A, where we have been for decades and decades

Reactions: onioncfb
Yea, honestly they should have replaced y'all with a team like Dudley based on purse number. But it is what it is. Has Asheville filed a complaint? I'm not too sure of the process.

Can't say this enough. This Creek had 11 starters leave the team and playing for other programs throughout Charlotte. Not a lot of teams in the State, if any could lose that amount of talent, beat a Elite team and be on their way to the 2nd round.

Last edited:
The weather could play a factor in this one- if you are Asheville you want it to be as cold and yucky as possible. I think the cougars will keep it close but Mallard Creek may have too much for them this week.

High of 60 on Friday. Game time temp will likely be around 52,53. Nothing game changing.

a side story for you regarding the weather.

In 2003 Asheville was in the fourth round of the playoffs on a 13 game winning streak and hosted south point. We wanted the cold weather that week and the temp was 32 at kickoff and pouring the snow with white out conditions. Multiple inches of snow on the ground throughout the game. We lost 57-10 lol

Can't say this enough. This Creek had 11 starters leave the team and playing for other programs throughout Charlotte. Not a lot of teams in the State, if any could lose that amount of talent, beat a Elite team and be on their way to the 2nd round.
There is something about a highly motivated and frankly desperate team that makes for an interesting dynamic. I haven't watched nearly the amount of Creek football as I have seen in years past but it was pretty clear based on what I watched Friday that this was a go for broke type of situation that worked amazingly well. The Creek defense has been good to maybe even very good most of the year. Actually held some very good offenses in check until they got worn down.

They arent going to stand toe to toe with the elite teams, however if they can turn people over like they did Friday with pressure coming from everywhere anything is possible.

Reactions: nepsy7
In 2002, Asheville was on an 11 game winning streak after starting the year 0-2. (Like this team)
For the third round we went to crest who was ranked number 2 in all of NC only behind Chris leaks independence team. They were undefeated and the unanimous number 1 ranked team in 3A. One of the most talented teams I have ever seen in decades of watching HS football with Brandon spikes, Travis Padgett and Travis Lee.

As heavy underdogs, Asheville (like mallard creek vs Butler Friday) blitzed on every play hoping to create some sort of pressure and force the more talented favorite into some turnovers. It worked. We won 17-14.

I imagine mallard creek will continue to implement that “we are going to come at you all night” sort of defense as they did against butler. And why wouldn’t they?

I hope our coach and qb know that’s likely coming.

High of 60 on Friday. Game time temp will likely be around 52,53. Nothing game changing.

a side story for you regarding the weather.

In 2003 Asheville was in the fourth round of the playoffs on a 13 game winning streak and hosted south point. We wanted the cold weather that week and the temp was 32 at kickoff and pouring the snow with white out conditions. Multiple inches of snow on the ground throughout the game. We lost 57-10 lol
That was the best SP team in the school's history in my mind. Zero weaknesses. Had (3) 1000 yard rushers and could throw the ball if they wanted to, not needed to, wanted to.

Dry ground that game would have been UGGGGLLLLYYYY.

Reactions: WWTeam
Mallard Creek just beat Butler. Not very many pressures at all...Saw it with my own eyes.
The Creeks usually in a 3 man front. The Creek was stacking the line, and bringing the Heat the entire game. The most aggressive, I’ve seen the defense since the new staff arrived. They were relentless.

Mallard Creek is a base 4 man front.
I had to go back and look. You’re correct. I couldn’t stand that 3 man front last year. Although they switched into a 3 man stack a couple times. They sacked Brower often out of a 5 man front. They were showing different fronts, and jumping out of it, before the snap. Much more aggressive in comparison to other games.

Last edited:
That was the best SP team in the school's history in my mind. Zero weaknesses. Had (3) 1000 yard rushers and could throw the ball if they wanted to, not needed to, wanted to.

Dry ground that game would have been UGGGGLLLLYYYY.
Lol we like to think it would have been different too, but maybe we would have lost by 65 instead

Reactions: WWTeam
Nope, pretty much the same. MC should have no problem rolling in this one.
Wtf. Our team in the spring was 5-3. This team is on a 9 game winning streak. We may get our ass whipped on Friday, but this is absolutely NOT the same team as 6 months ago

Reactions: Titanman27
Wtf. Our team in the spring was 5-3. This team is on a 9 game winning streak. We may get our ass whipped on Friday, but this is absolutely NOT the same team as 6 months ago
You have probably one of the most balanced, understanding of the game of any opposition we’ve faced in years. Looking forward to the game.

AHSCougar1, I work with one of the refs who is doing y'alls game Friday night.
Hey isn't Asheville's coach a Haywood county native?

AHSCougar1, I work with one of the refs who is doing y'alls game Friday night.
Hey isn't Asheville's coach a Haywood county native?
No he went to Reynolds.

Former coach burdette is at tuscola and Coach Metcalf is unfortunately as pisgah.
That’s about the only Haywood/Asheville connection I can think of

No he went to Reynolds.

Former coach burdette is at tuscola and Coach Metcalf is unfortunately as pisgah.
That’s about the only Haywood/Asheville connection I can think of
Ahh ok. I know Charlie is with us. Great guy!

Really sounds like the Cougars have had a heck of a season after the Robbinsville loss. Good for them. Glad to see them finally getting closer to being what they were years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT