ADVERTISEMENT

Mack is Back Part 2

Just be patient.. they have a favorable schedule for two weeks to get the back on track. I always thought this was a 8-4 team but the media overblown who UNC really is and they also hype their recruiting .

Also don't put words in my mouth. I never said anyone was not good... I said the coaches know who is the best kid to play and who is ready to play. Based on their expertise that means they are not ready yet.

Let me preface my next remarks with the following: IMO the term used below "Would play: means they are good enough to crack the line up now ,,, very few play as a freshman or sophomores. Sometimes when a kids gets to play it is because the team is thin not because they are ready.. you can be talented but not ready.

As far as overrated recruiting classes, I think that is obvious. I thought there were two studs from 2020 that were capable of playing time as a freshman and they are playing well. Three more kids are getting significant snaps and two of them were not the ones with the highest rivals score or hype. Funny how that works.

The rest of the group from that class were going to need some time and I was pretty sure that a few of the highly ranked kids are not P5 players. They might help the recruiting ranking but they are not going to contribute on the field. I will not name names but I saw them multiple times and heard other coaches shake their head and was surprised that are on UNC's campus. So far it appears that my thoughts were correct.

I did not see as many busts on the 2021 recruiting haul. At least one is going to really disappoint you, but I will also say probaly one of the better kids is not highly ranked. I did not see anyone who would contribute as freshman. Maybe if they needed to play becuase the team is thin in a few areas. Almost everyone needed some additional time on campus to be ready to contribute at a high level. Maybe they could contribute a few snaps but if they were starting and having to be counted on that would spell trouble. It does not mean they can not be good... but potential is just a fancy French for not worth a damn yet.

Patience.. Patience.. if they lose either of their first two games.. I will change my tune and say UNC will need to be some serious evaluation on a few items at the end of the year. I am not surprised that they lost either game and I believe GT is going to end up being a tough game for a lot of teams.
Gotcha, my first part actually quoted you correctly, pertaining to the overrated comment.

I don't think the coaches know who can play and who can't, IMO. Mack said just today that he will play more guys this week. Mentioned specifically that he needed to play these highly recruited kids. Guess he was listening to me after all? Hmm.

I understand you can be talented, but not ready. But like I keep on saying, are these upperclassmen just going to start playing well all of a sudden? It might be just who they are at this point, I don't know.

Regarding the 2020 class, 4 of the top 5 guys are playing very well. Evans is still learning how to play with his hands off the ground. Hard to really have a debate when you're not mentioning the names, but I guess we'll see on that.

Again, Mack said today he needs to play more players. So this debate is TBD.

Reactions: UNC91
Gotcha, my first part actually quoted you correctly, pertaining to the overrated comment.

I don't think the coaches know who can play and who can't, IMO. Mack said just today that he will play more guys this week. Mentioned specifically that he needed to play these highly recruited kids. Guess he was listening to me after all? Hmm.

I understand you can be talented, but not ready. But like I keep on saying, are these upperclassmen just going to start playing well all of a sudden? It might be just who they are at this point, I don't know.

Regarding the 2020 class, 4 of the top 5 guys are playing very well. Evans is still learning how to play with his hands off the ground. Hard to really have a debate when you're not mentioning the names, but I guess we'll see on that.

Again, Mack said today he needs to play more players. So this debate is TBD.
Yes.. and I enjoy a UNC fanatic that can be rational and fun.... Your in select company.. we will see who he plays.. most of the kids you metion are not showing up in the two deep. I am sure living a fire under a few kids is never a good thing. Not sure how to take that you know better than the coaches on who can play... that at is pretty amazing

I am not going to say who the kids are that are a little limited... but if your close enough and take off your blue tinted glasses it is pretty easy to figure out who they.

• Haha
Yes.. and I enjoy a UNC fanatic that can be rational and fun.... Your in select company.. we will see who he plays.. most of the kids you metion are not showing up in the two deep. I am sure living a fire under a few kids is never a good thing. Not sure how to take that you know better than the coaches on who can play... that at is pretty amazing

I am not going to say who the kids are that are a little limited... but if your close enough and take off your blue tinted glasses it is pretty easy to figure out who they.
I assure you I don't have blue tinted glasses, especially for UNC football. I've said countless times on this here thread that the Championship talk was laughable and that I was ready to get hurt again prior to this season. The hype isn't new and the results aren't new either, it is what it is.

I'm not going to say anyone is limited until I see them on the field for a few games. Mack mentioned a few times today that he wants to play more guys, so we'll see at noon on Saturday.

I assure you I don't have blue tinted glasses, especially for UNC football. I've said countless times on this here thread that the Championship talk was laughable and that I was ready to get hurt again prior to this season. The hype isn't new and the results aren't new either, it is what it is.

I'm not going to say anyone is limited until I see them on the field for a few games. Mack mentioned a few times today that he wants to play more guys, so we'll see at noon on Saturday.
Your not going to see these kids I am talking about on the field unless they are up by 50. The walk ons will be playing before them.

• Haha
This team looks lost. Not sure what's going on lol. Oline is completely overwhelmed and confused. 3rd different center is in, list him as a tackle. Can't make this shit up lol

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
UNC playing Sophomores Baker and Gosnell & Frosh Ritzie early in the game

Boykins, Power, RaRa getting a lot of reps on special teams.

Last edited:
Teams like Cincinnati, Fresno State, Coastal Carolina and Wake Forest getting it done. Never hear about their recruiting classes. 🤷🏾‍♂️

This team looks lost. Not sure what's going on lol. Oline is completely overwhelmed and confused. 3rd different center is in, list him as a tackle. Can't make this shit up lol

Worst case scenario and like I said you can look at that and tell it isn't getting fixed in a week or two lol...probably not even this season.

Worst case scenario and like I said you can look at that and tell it isn't getting fixed in a week or two lol...probably not even this season.
They like Baker as the Center of the future and wanted to get him some snaps to get comfortable and sounds like they're going to do it the rest of the year. Wouldn't mind doing the same with Sutton/Pounds/Adorno as you said, most likely isn't going to get any better.

In the ACC, especially the Coastal, you can win a lot of games with solid line play, and just a serviceable QB. That should be the main focus moving forward. Searels...got to go imo. Pretty sure he wasn't Mack's first choice to begin with.

Interested to see how we do against FSU. They're 1-4 but Alex Atkins has done a good job with their OL and they're running the ball pretty well. On the defensive side, they can get after the QB.

Interested to see how we do against FSU. They're 1-4 but Alex Atkins has done a good job with their OL and they're running the ball pretty well. On the defensive side, they can get after the QB.
Their D front is good and will steam roll this OL if they don't get the ball out quick. Slip/bubble screens and slants should be on the menu this week. Sam will have his shot plays and will need to be accurate as he was atrocious against Duke on the deep balls. Travis is going to run all over the D, just gotta hope they can hold them to some field goals rather than TD's. Would be shocked if UNC covers the -17.5 spread.

Their D front is good and will steam roll this OL if they don't get the ball out quick. Slip/bubble screens and slants should be on the menu this week. Sam will have his shot plays and will need to be accurate as he was atrocious against Duke on the deep balls. Travis is going to run all over the D, just gotta hope they can hold them to some field goals rather than TD's. Would be shocked if UNC covers the -17.5 spread.

Yeah, no way I'd touch that spread lol. Giving up 17.5 points after what we've seen..ridiculous.

How many more missed tackles does Conley have before they sit him?

Lol he's our best secondary player......
Tons of more issues then Conley

Fsu is having their way with us, never been more disappointed in a unc team in my life. Honestly thought this would be a good season. Does Howell leave after the season or stay to put up better numbers. Defensively we should be a lot better next year, with a year under some these high recuits belt.

Mack has done a good job improving the overall talent level. But his staff is really getting exposed. It'd be easier to give Longo the benefit of the doubt, with the OL he's working with, but it's the same mistakes that are costing us. He presses too much anywhere near the redzone. Doesn't seem to be able to scheme anyone open other than Downs. Bateman still hasn't figured out how to contain a dual-threat QB. They haven't looked prepared all year.

Hooker has had 2 really good games in a row for my Vols. Seems weird seeing good QB play after watching Jarrett Guarantano these past years.

I kinda thought Hooker should've been the starter there day one. Extremely underrated QB in the right offense.

Reactions: Appvol
Mack has done a good job improving the overall talent level. But his staff is really getting exposed. It'd be easier to give Longo the benefit of the doubt, with the OL he's working with, but it's the same mistakes that are costing us. He presses too much anywhere near the redzone. Doesn't seem to be able to scheme anyone open other than Downs. Bateman still hasn't figured out how to contain a dual-threat QB. They haven't looked prepared all year.
Is it coaching or vastly overrated talent?? The offense is Downs and Howell running. So many broken coverages and terrible tackling on defense....

Yeah, no way I'd touch that spread lol. Giving up 17.5 points after what we've seen..ridiculous.
Made easy money today on that spread.

Same players + same plays + same coaching = same result.

They put Nesbit and Ritzie in there for a few plays and magically, they both made plays. Would love to see JJ Jones/Blackwell/Paysour get snaps for Brown/Olsen/Simmons.

Is it coaching or vastly overrated talent?? The offense is Downs and Howell running. So many broken coverages and terrible tackling on defense....

The '20 and '21 classes are solid. We've seen flashes - Gray, Murphy, Echols, Ra Ra, Conley, Nesbit. I mean, you might miss on a couple evals, but by all accounts, all three major ratings services, and like I said, just the eye test, the talent is there. They're just young and inexperienced. What you're seeing is holdovers from the Fedora era and then Mack's first class which wasn't as good as the last two.

Conley didn't have a good game, no doubt about it but he's normally been pretty solid. If RaRa, Sinclair, Nash, Boykins, Edmonds, Sutton, Pounds, Paysour, Nesbit, Blackwell, Power, Bingley Jones, Pinder, Silver etc were putting this product out on the field, I'd say they were undoubtedly overrated. But trotting out that OL along with Olsen, Green, that DL outside of Murphy, CB's outside of Grimes etc, you're asking for trouble.

Had a change to cut it to 2 scores but chose to go for it, and they got what they deserved. They're regressing, no doubt about it. No way in hell this coaching staff stays on, no way in hell.

Starting next week, they have to start playing these younger guys, the same guys they're using on special teams, so the excuse/argument of redshirting is null and void when they're playing on special teams. Gotta play them.

Conley didn't have a good game, no doubt about it but he's normally been pretty solid. If RaRa, Sinclair, Nash, Boykins, Edmonds, Sutton, Pounds, Paysour, Nesbit, Blackwell, Power, Bingley Jones, Pinder, Silver etc were putting this product out on the field, I'd say they were undoubtedly overrated. But trotting out that OL along with Olsen, Green, that DL outside of Murphy, CB's outside of Grimes etc, you're asking for trouble.

Had a change to cut it to 2 scores but chose to go for it, and they got what they deserved. They're regressing, no doubt about it. No way in hell this coaching staff stays on, no way in hell.

Starting next week, they have to start playing these younger guys, the same guys they're using on special teams, so the excuse/argument of redshirting is null and void when they're playing on special teams. Gotta play them.

Some of them are probably ready. Most probably aren't. But I agree, you have to get the ones that are on the field. We clearly aren't winning anything. Experience now helps next year.

I still think it's a LOS deal. The OL wasn't good last year. They haven't made a lot of progress. Longo's disjointed playcalling doesn't help. The warning signs were there with both of them. Searels had a shaky reputation coming in and he's never coached in the air raid. Longo is known for vertical routes and redzone issues. On the other side...In order to do what Bateman wants to do with two or three DL, you need a real NT, to keep OL off your LBs. You can get away with not having one at Army, but not so much in P5. And he still hasn't figured out how to contain a dual threat QB. UVA has a dogshit OL and he let them pass all game and we got lucky in a shootout. FSU's strength is running the ball and that's what they did. It's like there's no situational awareness at all of the other team's strength. It'd be different if they showed even a little bit of improvement. The thing is, I don't see how you replace those guys and keep Mack.

Last edited:
Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
Mack needs to retire. His in game coaching has been atrocious. Clock management is laughable. Howell has been beat up but still is missing lots of open recievers or they drop passes. The secondary and d line are terrible. Overall a mediocre team and coaching staff will not equal success even with 4 and 5 star talent

Mack needs to retire. His in game coaching has been atrocious. Clock management is laughable. Howell has been beat up but still is missing lots of open recievers or they drop passes. The secondary and d line are terrible. Overall a mediocre team and coaching staff will not equal success even with 4 and 5 star talent

I think that's the only way you make the changes that need to be made to the staff. No one's coming to work for a guy halfway out the door.

Reactions: Titanman27
Mack is back ! 😱 😂🤣😂
28 pages, hilarious! 😂🤣😂🤷
You have a decent season, win a few games his first year and act like he’s the best thing since the invention of electricity. Greatest recruiting class in history, gonna be the best team in the ACC. NOT, Now that’s funny. I don’t care what anyone says.

Last edited:
Mack is back ! 😱 😂🤣😂
You have a decent season, win a few games his first year and act like he’s the best thing since the invention of electricity. Greatest recruiting class in history, gonna be the best team in the ACC. NOT, Now that’s funny. I don’t care what anyone says.
LOL. You think this is 28 pages of praise for UNC and Mack? Might wanna take off those 2A glasses and read up on this 4A thread.

With that being said, can't wait to start seeing these young home grown kids on the roster from the Tar Heel state play for the Heels. Hopefully it starts this week.

GO Heels!

Last edited:
Not surprised that UNC could lose a game here and there with Mack back in Chapel Hill. But to lose 3 games already this season, when they have Mack and Sally back, is just shocking.

Mack is back ! 😱 😂🤣😂

Sounds like SP. Terrible and underachieving every year ? Pipe down old man, unc is building a program from scratch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT