ADVERTISEMENT

Mack is Back Part 2

Yep! Try telling a 4 & 5 star ⭐️ kid to wait until it’s his turn, and watch the portal closely. Their name will show up sooner than later. 99.9% of the elite kids have ambitions of playing on Sunday. They also realize their chances are limited watching from the sidelines. The Alabama’s, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia and LSU’s of the world realize their going to lose players, with an elite roster. You have to figure out the balance of getting young guys reps, without disturbing your older guys. Making that call is why they make millions. Fans are not qualified.
I know Dang Well you didnt fire yourself!

Yep! Try telling a 4 & 5 star ⭐️ kid to wait until it’s his turn, and watch the portal closely. Their name will show up sooner than later. 99.9% of the elite kids have ambitions of playing on Sunday. They also realize their chances are limited watching from the sidelines. The Alabama’s, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia and LSU’s of the world realize their going to lose players, with an elite roster. You have to figure out the balance of getting young guys reps, without disturbing your older guys. Making that call is why they make millions. Fans are not qualified.
Ohio state has 4 stars walking off the team during the game when they don't get to sub in against Akron!!! Its a new world brother. I guarantee Dabo is beginning to look at his 2 deep in an entirely different way this morning than he did last Monday.

True it may bite a player to thinking the grass is greener somewhere else.A lot this 5 and high 4 stars never get drafted.

I got to watch my son get his 1st start at Left Tackle as a Freshman at the D3 school he is at Saturday.He had to block a kid that played high school ball in Charlotte.

Reactions: nepsy7
What if Mack is wanting to red shirt some of these kids. At least you can play them 4 games and still red shirt. All these super Seniors the next few years will be interesting.The portal will definitely make it harder to keep kids. A lot these kids that went to the portal never found a new home. A lot people are going to learn that if you are getting that free education you are better off staying and grinding it out. Just maybe you get your chance. You could have a kid in your program for seven years these next few years because of the Covid year.
I agree 1000% with this thought process but try telling it to the kid who has been told since he was 15 that he is going to the league. God knows your familiar with it as Tenn has had as much problems with it as any Power 5.

As you know, the days of practice hard for two years and get a shot have gone the way of the Wing T. You can pull it off at Bama and maybe a few other spots but thats it. That way now in HS as well. Your playing or your leaving.

True it may bite a player to thinking the grass is greener somewhere else.A lot this 5 and high 4 stars never get drafted.

I got to watch my son get his 1st start at Left Tackle as a Freshman at the D3 school he is at Saturday.He had to block a kid that played high school ball in Charlotte.
Over 1500 kids have their names in the portal. They all believe the grass is greener somewhere else. The reality is, some of the portal guys, will never touch the field again. Listen to a lot of their commitment speeches. I look forward to playing for Clemson, Alabama, Georgia for the next 3 years. A lot of them don't anticipate playing 4 years. The entire recruitment process for them, is telling them how great they are, and about preparing them for Sunday's. Than reality arrives, some will never get the reps they were promised. The NFL is loaded with 2,3, and no stars. Alex Highsmith walk-on at UNCC starts for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Some programs recruit stars more than they recruit football players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue and Gold22

That's Awesome Brother. Nothing better than watching your son play on Saturdays.

Over 1500 kids have their names in the portal. They all believe the grass is greener somewhere else. The reality is, some of them will never touch the field again. Listen to a lot of their commitment speeches. I look forward to playing for Clemson, Alabama, Georgia for the next 3 years. A lot of them don't anticipate playing 4 years. The entire recruitment process for them, is telling them how great they are, and about preparing them for Sunday's. Than reality arrives, some will never get the reps they were promised. The NFL is loaded with 2,3, and no stars.
Do you think the portal will hurt high school kids. Schools will look to add a portal kid that’s been in a college weight room and system. Hopefully they pass the new rule that you can replace up 7 because of the portal so you can sign 32 in a class.

I posted earlier in the thread about not getting to excited about the UVA game with our running backs and lets see if it carried over to the GT game. Looks like my doubts were correct. What do we do going forward this year. Our lofty goals are not attainable. Good news is UNC football tickets just got a lot cheaper.

Over 1500 kids have their names in the portal. They all believe the grass is greener somewhere else. The reality is, some of the portal guys, will never touch the field again. Listen to a lot of their commitment speeches. I look forward to playing for Clemson, Alabama, Georgia for the next 3 years. A lot of them don't anticipate playing 4 years. The entire recruitment process for them, is telling them how great they are, and about preparing them for Sunday's. Than reality arrives, some will never get the reps they were promised. The NFL is loaded with 2,3, and no stars. Alex Highsmith walk-on at UNCC starts for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Some programs recruit stars more than they recruit football players.
Not just the college kids. Lets look at Meck County.....everyone wants to transfer to the hot school or school. Suddenly its 4 weeks into the season and you only have 4 catches and no TDs. Hard to make your HUDL film off that. Then guess what............the parents are on to the next spot already.

Do you think the portal will hurt high school kids. Schools will look to add a portal kid that’s been in a college weight room and system. Hopefully they pass the new rule that you can replace up 7 because of the portal so you can sign 32 in a class.
I believe it benefits more than it hurts kids. Yet some of these kids aren't seeking advice before they make that move. It's highly unlikely the school excepts you back, if you don't find a school. I also saw a kid put his name in the portal from Guilford College. He must have been getting advice from his girlfriend. :) Guess who picked him up? NOBODY!

Not just the college kids. Lets look at Meck County.....everyone wants to transfer to the hot school or school. Suddenly its 4 weeks into the season and you only have 4 catches and no TDs. Hard to make your HUDL film off that. Then guess what............the parents are on to the next spot already.
Tell me about it! I'm a Mallard Creek Homer. The 11 kids we lost to other programs stay in place. We're a top contender for a State Championship. :)

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
Play the young guys. We already know the super seniors ceiling. Put some young, raw talent out there so they can get some experience

Wrong wake forest is the best team in the Carolinas!

I believe it benefits more than it hurts kids. Yet some of these kids aren't seeking advice before they make that move. It's highly unlikely the school excepts you back, if you don't find a school. I also saw a kid put his name in the portal from Guilford College. He must have been getting advice from his girlfriend. :) Guess who picked him up? NOBODY!
Covid is hurting high school kids more than the portal. I talked to my old position last week about my son and he said John the cycle for the power 5 schools is the same for the most part but as you go down there is uncertainty on who is staying and going due to the extra year. So you have a 5th year guy that decided to come back and now that is one less scholarship you have. My kid is not a power 5 kid but that issue is still lurking. Thank God the kid is #4 in his class and scored 1450! He has plenty of options of which none might not include football if it means a lesser degree.

All that EARN playing time is great but somewhat outdated. It's a new world and you have to be thinking 2-3 years out because if you don't start getting these 4 and 5 star kids live reps they will be playing against you next year. This is especially true when the starters are losing to GA Tech by 3 TDS.

It's the reality of sports now. Very few wait 3 years for their opportunity. Staffs have to be able to balance that equation when it comes down to who is playing.
Interesting point about the risk of transfer rule. However giving kids playing time that are not producing does not change the fundemental concern which is to win this saturday. Football is still a meritocracy.. A four star player when he lands on campus is given the same opportunity as a three star player. They have to earn it. Their old press clippings are just that.... OLD press clippings... That person lining up across from you does not give a a hoot about your press clippings and neither do the coaches. THAT concept is never going to be outdated.

Coaches know who gives them the best chance to win on Saturday.. Fans don't and rely on press clippings....I am not saying you should not be paying back ups especially in the DL.. and spelling starters... In the last three games how many snaps have the back up been given in the. DL.. didn't they change a Linebacker last week. The coaches have shown they can make meritocracy changes.

I would rather lose a few kids who have not shown they deserve to play then lose my whole team by not playing those who have earned it. a kid sitting on the bench on that UNC defense is not going to be playing at too many other places either.. I would go as far to say that cleanses a team and strengthens the team.

Interesting point about the risk of transfer rule. However giving kids playing time that are not producing does not change the fundemental concern which is to win this saturday. Football is still a meritocracy.. A four star player when he lands on campus is given the same opportunity as a three star player. They have to earn it. Their old press clippings are just that.... OLD press clippings... That person lining up across from you does not give a a hoot about your press clippings and neither do the coaches. THAT concept is never going to be outdated.

Coaches know who gives them the best chance to win on Saturday.. Fans don't and rely on press clippings....I am not saying you should not be paying back ups especially in the DL.. and spelling starters... In the last three games how many snaps have the back up been given in the. DL.. didn't they change a Linebacker last week. The coaches have shown they can make meritocracy changes.

I would rather lose a few kids who have not shown they deserve to play then lose my whole team by not playing those who have earned it. a kid sitting on the bench on that UNC defense is not going to be playing at too many other places either.. I would go as far to say that cleanses a team and strengthens the team.
Again- All that sounds great and I dont disagree with any of it on merit but life inside these programs is far more nuanced. The student athlete has changed dramatically over the past 20-30 years and what attracts them to a program in the first place is far different. The days of playing for the glory of State U and grinding it out waiting for playing time just doesn't exist.

- Get me to the league
- NIL potential
-- Highlight packages/Social media clicks
- National Title/Winning
- Campus Life

Those priorities in different order depending on the individual is what a Power 5 HC is managing now and if your HC isnt embracing that versus meritocracy then you are losing ground daily. Winning on Saturday means Jimmy's and Joe's..........period. If you spend 11 months out of the year recruiting studs and they dont play why they watch kids losing by 3 TDs to 2nd tier schools then you just wasted 11 months.

I liked the other way better and think both the sport and the players benefited from it because most are never going to the league. Its never going back and as more and more $$ starts to flow to the players the power will shift incrementally more and more.

Again- All that sounds great and I dont disagree with any of it on merit but life inside these programs is far more nuanced. The student athlete has changed dramatically over the past 20-30 years and what attracts them to a program in the first place is far different. The days of playing for the glory of State U and grinding it out waiting for playing time just doesn't exist.

- Get me to the league
- NIL potential
-- Highlight packages/Social media clicks
- National Title/Winning
- Campus Life

Those priorities in different order depending on the individual is what a Power 5 HC is managing now and if your HC isnt embracing that versus meritocracy then you are losing ground daily. Winning on Saturday means Jimmy's and Joe's..........period. If you spend 11 months out of the year recruiting studs and they dont play why they watch kids losing by 3 TDs to 2nd tier schools then you just wasted 11 months.

I liked the other way better and think both the sport and the players benefited from it because most are never going to the league. Its never going back and as more and more $$ starts to flow to the players the power will shift incrementally more and more.
It is really pretty simple... if a kid leaves after one year because he is not on the field as a freshman ... then you have not lost anything. Those are the kids you don't want. You just did not know it when you recruited them...

If a kid does not see the field immediately, ( few do) and they can not make an investment into the program.. then they probably have not made the investment in themself either, which is how you get good enough to see the field. These kids will not see the field at another P5 school either unless they grow up.

I see nothing wrong with a kid who makes the investment and is still behind in the depth chart that leaves, but before they make the investment in the program and in themselves... Buy those kids a hamburger and a BUS PASS and send them on their way.

Coaches are pretty smart and understand the game is still measured.. by winning... since no one expects that to change, I am sure the coaches would be playing the younger kids if it meant they had a better chance at winning .
This is what destroys the fabric of a team. giving in to that nonsense and it does not make you better in the following season either...

I can see it now, Mack speaks to reporters....We left a few points in the locker room today. We needed to play a few younger kids because they think that deserve it....and of course the fans want it as well. Those two bad play calls in the second quarter came from donors in section seven but don't worry we will be better next year.

Oh wait a minute. that is what UNC fans say every year... except they have have a team that should be good this year. Curious, it is a little early to be waving the white flag .. there is a whole lot of football to be played and it is a long season.

BTW GT is not a second tier school and neither is VT.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel fan1
It is really pretty simple... if a kid leaves after one year because he is not on the field as a freshman ... then you have not lost anything. Those are the kids you don't want. You just did not know it when you recruited them...

If a kid does not see the field immediately, ( few do) and they can not make an investment into the program.. then they probably have not made the investment in themself either, which is how you get good enough to see the field. These kids will not see the field at another P5 school either unless they grow up.

I see nothing wrong with a kid who makes the investment and is still behind in the depth chart that leaves, but before they make the investment in the program and in themselves... Buy those kids a hamburger and a BUS PASS and send them on their way.

Coaches are pretty smart and understand the game is still measured.. by winning... since no one expects that to change, I am sure the coaches would be playing the younger kids if it meant they had a better chance at winning .
This is what destroys the fabric of a team. giving in to that nonsense and it does not make you better in the following season either...

I can see it now, Mack speaks to reporters....We left a few points in the locker room today. We needed to play a few younger kids because they think that deserve it....and of course the fans want it as well. Those two bad play calls in the second quarter came from donors in section seven but don't worry we will be better next year.

Oh wait a minute. that is what UNC fans say every year... except they have have a team that should be good this year. Curious, it is a little early to be waving the white flag .. there is a whole lot of football to be played and it is a long season.

Ga Tech has been bowl eligible twice in the past 6 years. They are the definition of 2nd tier.

I guess Justin Fields and Kyler Murray are kids you dont want in your program.

Last edited:

Waving the white flag because I want to play other guys to see if we can change up the result? OK.

I know the D looks bad, but is it to early to wave the white flag.
I'm not saying bench Howell and tank. Merely suggesting putting in some of these younger guys and see what they can do. Both phases look bad, WR's not getting separation, OL not creating lanes in the run game or giving Sam much time to go through progressions, defensive front not containing in the run game or getting pressure etc. Next 3 games are at home, we'll see how it shakes out.

Man's Stop telling Coach Brown how's 2's run's his Program. Worry about Our's Bears living up's 2's Da games left 2's Bees played. Go Bears

Reactions: UNC91
Whoever mentioned FSU trying to hire Clawson from Wake Forest......It took Clawson several years to get Wake going.....a program like FSU can't afford that luxury.

FSU still owes Taggart for two more years and Norvell I believe for the next six. Their athletic department ran a $26 million deficit last year. That is not a quick or an easy fix. Not a job for a young HC imo.

Reactions: UNC91 and nepsy7
FSU still owes Taggart for two more years and Norvell I believe for the next six. Their athletic department ran a $26 million deficit last year. That is not a quick or an easy fix. Not a job for a young HC imo.
FSU and Miami are both near the bottom when you think about athletic department budgets of power 5 schools that we consider top 25 programs traditionally. FSU definitely doesn't want another buyout. NIL will make the rich get richer. Imo there needs to be a massive overhaul with football. Take everyone in the sec but vandy, everyone in the acc but Duke, wake, Syracuse, Pitt and Bc, everyone in the pac 12 but Stanford, wazzu and Berkley. Everyone in the Big 10 but Rutgers, Maryland, NW and Illinois and create you a football division of those schools with the remaining members of the big 12 and group of 5 and create another division. UVA and Miami could join as well. Now I think you have what this will ultimately be in 10 years. At some point those schools with stupid resources and budgets who emphasize football more than others will create their own deal. At some point something like this will happen. They may still play the other sports in their current conferences but the football goes bye bye.

Reactions: Chopper747
Waving the white flag because I want to play other guys to see if we can change up the result? OK.

yes becuase you want to play people you think might be better.... WTF do you know.. I mean really . instead of actually taking the advice of the coaching staff... who just happened to spend a lot of time with he team.and watching film and studying..... .. I am sure that a coach who job depends on winning..... wants to play the person who gives them the best chance of winning.... They don't make decisions on potential and press clippings but on actual merits.... So yes.. moving from the professionals to you becuase you just want to see.... is symbolic with waving the white flag of " Don't worry we will be better next year".

• Haha
yes becuase you want to play people you think might be better.... WTF do you know.. I mean really . instead of actually taking the advice of the coaching staff... who just happened to spend a lot of time with he team.and watching film and studying..... .. I am sure that a coach who job depends on winning..... wants to play the person who gives them the best chance of winning.... They don't make decisions on potential and press clippings but on actual merits.... So yes.. moving from the professionals to you becuase you just want to see.... is symbolic with waving the white flag of " Don't worry we will be better next year".
Lol. Ok. You're coming at me because I want to play highly recruited young guys that might be better over guys that have proven they can't get it done? Figured waving the white flag would be wanting to trot out the same upper classmen again and again and again and hoping that the light suddenly clicked as 3rd/4th year players. The F are you talking about?

Ga Tech has been bowl eligible twice in the past 6 years. They are the definition of 2nd tier.

I guess Justin Fields and Kyler Murray are kids you dont want in your program.

Completely different circumstances and I pointed that out.. Kyler Murray left for different reasons and then sat out a year at OK then sat patiently behind Mayfield to play... Enough said on that one.

Justin Fields played in 12 games as a freshman.... he was certainly invested.and played .. and was playing behind a sophomore and there was this incident that was litigated that allowed him to leave. Wow not a good comparison

.......HMMM.... Big Different then screaming to play the young kids sitting behind an upper classman who has invested themselves.

To be clear, so as not to be misunderstood.... NC bear is making a claim that the kid playing is not good enough to win... so you might as well play the young kids....

the kids your just sited ...where playing behind kids that were definitely good enough.....and had just as much eligibility...

Your distorting what I said....

If one of these kids at UNC is good enough they will be playing...if not good enough. to crack that lineup at UNC... just exactly where are they going go ..... UNC is not Georgia or Texas AM.

BTW.. Georgia Tech is a 2nd tier program. they are in a 3rd year of a new coach who has gone through a major change.. I would bet they are in a bowl in year three... and before that six year period you mention that went to 18 straight bowl games and were ranked in top 10 five times..... as a comparison the heels played in 12 bowls games during that period and have been to a bowl game just one more time in the past Six years than GT ..

During the six year period you mention the record at UNC and GT are similar. ... UNC is 30-35. GT record 29-34.

Maybe you are right.... but that makes UNC what?

Last edited:
Lol. Ok. You're coming at me because I want to play highly recruited young guys that might be better over guys that have proven they can't get it done? Figured waving the white flag would be wanting to trot out the same upper classmen again and again and again and hoping that the light suddenly clicked as 3rd/4th year players. The F are you talking about?

Again... who are you... to suggest they are better... I mean really... you sound like the Monday morning QB with this.. I trust the coaching staff to play who is better..... not you... If you think that comparison is picking at you... to suggest the coaching staff knows who to play better than you... then you will have to own that.

I appreciate the discussion... really do... I have been privileged to be around a lot of very very good coaches in my lifetime... They all had the same statement about fans.... They have every right to make any statement they want when they buy a ticket.... and we all know not to every listen to their suggestions as they for sure would scream to fire us for doing what they suggested..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Again... who are you... to suggest they are better... I mean really... you sound like the Monday morning QB with this.. I trust the coaching staff to play who is better..... not you... If you think that comparison is picking at you... to suggest the coaching staff knows who to play better than you... then you will have to own that.

I appreciate the discussion... really do... I have been privileged to be around a lot of very very good coaches in my lifetime... They all had the same statement about fans.... They have every right to make any statement they want when they buy a ticket.... and we all know not to every listen to their suggestions as they for sure would scream to fire us for do what they suggested..
Dying on this hill, I love it. Let's GOOOO!!!

Monday morning QB because I want to play the younger guys and see if we can spark a little fire?

You mention coaching, so let's delve into that. The Senior MLB for the Heels stated that they didn't game plan for Sims (whom started all of last season and also a game this year). Why wouldn't you game plan for him? He also mentioned that they didn't get calls on time before the snap, but Bateman stated that wasn't the case. Gimmel is the QB of the D, that doesn't concern you?

I've also been around highly successful coaches in my lifetime. I'm not showing up at anyone's house, writing letters, sending emails, voicemails etc. I'm on NCPreps dot com suggesting they do something else to garner a different result. Blasphemy! I know.

But to answer your question as to who I am? I'm a 35 year old male, registered to vote in the state of NC, I'd like to move but the wife won't let me, love the Heels and the Packers, big Bojangles guy, really bad at golf, big Rolling Stones fan, have a signed Larry Fedora football that I want to throw away but my 3-year-old son won't let me, AND I DEMAND AS THE MONDAY MORNING QB THAT THE HEELS PLAY THE YOUNGINS.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: UNC91 and nepsy7
Call it what you will...this team is not winning many games. Definitely not the Coastal. Can't run the ball and can't stop the run. OL is not something you fix in a week. Hold the class together the best you can and get the younger guys as much experience as possible should be the goals at this point. That and start looking for Searels replacement.

Last edited:
Dying on this hill, I love it. Let's GOOOO!!!

Monday morning QB because I want to play the younger guys and see if we can spark a little fire?

You mention coaching, so let's delve into that. The Senior MLB for the Heels stated that they didn't game plan for Sims (whom started all of last season and also a game this year). Why wouldn't you game plan for him? He also mentioned that they didn't get calls on time before the snap, but Bateman stated that wasn't the case. Gimmel is the QB of the D, that doesn't concern you?

I've also been around highly successful coaches in my lifetime. I'm not showing up at anyone's house, writing letters, sending emails, voicemails etc. I'm on NCPreps dot com suggesting they do something else to garner a different result. Blasphemy! I know.

But to answer your question as to who I am? I'm a 35 year old male, registered to vote in the state of NC, I'd like to move but the wife won't let me, love the Heels and the Packers, big Bojangles guy, really bad at golf, big Rolling Stones fan, have a signed Larry Fedora football that I want to throw away but my 3-year-old son won't let me, AND I DEMAND AS THE MONDAY MORNING QB THAT THE HEELS PLAY THE YOUNGINS.

You do make me laugh... unfortunately buying a ticket only gets you the ability to demand.. but not be heard or even taken seriously... the coaches do know better and I am sure they want to win a whole lot more than you do and spend a lot more time an expertise on making sure they will win. I know you already know this....

I am no Tar Heel fan.. far from it... I think they are highly overrated and I think their recruiting classes are highly overrated... but I don't think they have insurmountable problems...

I do believe there OL is pretty similar to the OL from last year.... but the result is different.... Josh Downs looks like the second coming or Tory Holt and that should scare the shit out of FSU.

They are having issues playing on the road... Howell is pressing and trying to do to much... in summary they are not playing good fundamental football. It is good for them that their next two games are at home against the two weakest teams in the league.... That should get them back on track before they face a month of challenges.

There season will be determined in that stretch of four games.. Miami, At ND and at PITT and against a fired up WF team.

BTW a loss to Duke, or FSU at home is a total Shitaskophe and they should fire everyone including all of the rivals recruiting experts that say you have great players.

You do make me laugh... unfortunately buying a ticket only gets you the ability to demand.. but not be heard or even taken seriously... the coaches do know better and I am sure they want to win a whole lot more than you do and spend a lot more time an expertise on making sure they will win. I know you already know this....

I am no Tar Heel fan.. far from it... I think they are highly overrated and I think their recruiting classes are highly overrated... but I don't think they have insurmountable problems...

I do believe there OL is pretty similar to the OL from last year.... but the result is different.... Josh Downs looks like the second coming or Tory Holt and that should scare the shit out of FSU.

They are having issues playing on the road... Howell is pressing and trying to do to much... in summary they are not playing good fundamental football. It is good for them that their next two games are at home against the two weakest teams in the league.... That should get them back on track before they face a month of challenges.

There season will be determined in that stretch of four games.. Miami, At ND and at PITT and against a fired up WF team.

BTW a loss to Duke, or FSU at home is a total Shitaskophe and they should fire everyone including all of the rivals recruiting experts that say you have great players.
If they are even in a game this weekend is a problem. My devils are woeful on defense. Offensively the qb is better than I thought and Durant can play for a lot of folks. Unc's problem is they still are not dominant upfront on either side of the ball. If you don't believe line play matters look at Clemson. Either they missed on all those stars or they have the worst oline coach in America!

Gotcha. Can you explain to me why you think their recruiting classes are overrated? Interested to hear about that.

Yes the OL is similar to last year as it is the same OL from last year.

Yes Sam is pressing, he doesn't have much time to sit back and his WR's aren't getting separation. They have 3 straight home games coming up.

The "great" players you speak of are the highly recruited kids like Pinder, Bingley Jones, Silver, Blackwell, Boykins, Edmonds, RaRa, Ritzie, Sutton, Nash, Paysour, Power that have either played only in mop up duty or not at all. Not sure how you can claim they aren't good when they haven't played?

Last edited:
Carolina seems to be a victim of their early success. They over achieved when coach Brown got there, so now everyone is upset because they're not winning national titles. I dont see them in the same under achieving spiral that Texas and FSU(supposed tier 1 schools) have been dealing with. It's hard to get people to lower their expectations once you've over achieved.

If they are even in a game this weekend is a problem. My devils are woeful on defense. Offensively the qb is better than I thought and Durant can play for a lot of folks. Unc's problem is they still are not dominant upfront on either side of the ball. If you don't believe line play matters look at Clemson. Either they missed on all those stars or they have the worst oline coach in America!
Clemson has never had a great OL. When they had a OL drafted in 2020 it was the 1st since 2014. Right now DJ Uiagalelei isn’t looking like a 5tar QB that was a top 10 prospect. That’s why you better hope the next QB in line is ready.

Gotcha. Can you explain to me why you think their recruiting classes are overrated? Interested to hear about that.

Yes Sam is pressing, he doesn't have much time to sit back and his WR's aren't getting separation. They have 3 straight home games coming up.

The "great" players you speak of are the highly recruited kids like Pinder, Bingley Jones, Silver, Blackwell, Boykins, Edmonds, RaRa, Ritzie, Sutton, Nash, Paysour, Power that have either played only in mop up duty or not at all. Not sure how you can claim they aren't good when they haven't played?
Look at the production you lost in the backfield. That’s huge over 2,300 yards. Chandler and Howell are your leading rushers. Howell has rushed for more yards in 4 games 55 carries 259 yards than he had all last year 92 carries 192 yards.

Just be patient.. they have a favorable schedule for two weeks to get the back on track. I always thought this was a 8-4 team but the media overblown who UNC really is and they also hype their recruiting .

Also don't put words in my mouth. I never said anyone was not good... I said the coaches know who is the best kid to play and who is ready to play. Based on their expertise that means they are not ready yet.

From your words....The "great" players you speak of are the highly recruited kids like Pinder, Bingley Jones, Silver, Blackwell, Boykins, Edmonds, RaRa, Ritzie, Sutton, Nash, Paysour, Power... I just looked at the depth chart and

Bouykins and Echols are the only one I saw on the two deep of the Our lads depth chart for September 29. Maybe it is off. So when Mack says we need to play more people.. does he mean kids from the 3rd team...

Let me preface my next remarks with the following: IMO the term used below "Would play: means they are good enough to crack the line up now ,,, very few play as a freshman or sophomores. Sometimes when a kids gets to play it is because the team is thin not because they are ready.. you can be talented but not ready.

As far as overrated recruiting classes, I think that is obvious. I thought there were two studs from 2020 that were capable of playing time as a freshman and they are playing well. Three more kids are getting significant snaps and two of them were not the ones with the highest rivals score or hype. Funny how that works.

The rest of the group from that class were going to need some time and I was pretty sure that a few of the highly ranked kids are not P5 players. They might help the recruiting ranking but they are not going to contribute on the field. I will not name names but I saw them multiple times and heard other coaches shake their head and was surprised that are on UNC's campus. So far it appears that my thoughts were correct.

I did not see as many busts on the 2021 recruiting haul. At least one is going to really disappoint you, but I will also say probaly one of the better kids is not highly ranked. I did not see anyone who would contribute as freshman. Maybe if they needed to play becuase the team is thin in a few areas. Almost everyone needed some additional time on campus to be ready to contribute at a high level. Maybe they could contribute a few snaps but if they were starting and having to be counted on that would spell trouble. It does not mean they can not be good... but potential is just a fancy French for not worth a damn yet.

Patience.. Patience.. if they lose either of their next two games.. I will change my tune and say UNC will need to do some serious evaluation on a few items at the end of the year. I am not surprised that they lost either game and I believe GT is going to end up being a tough game for a lot of teams.

Last edited:
  • Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT