ADVERTISEMENT

MAC week 3.....

BD Warrior

Sep 20, 2006
Well we are really getting a idea where the league stands now. As expected Reynolds, Erwin, and Asheville are at fighting for the top spot. NB looks like they want to break in to that top 3. Enka seems to be improved. Roberson is still a ? to me. Mcdowell is not bad either. Overall I believe this is the strongest the MAC has been from top to bottom in a while.

Here are the week 3 games..

Ooltewah at Erwin
Reynolds at Owen
Enka at Smokey Mtn
Asheville at Pisgah
Mcdowell at Tuscola
Roberson at East Rutherford
Mtn Heritage at North Buncombe

My picks..

Ooltewah 21 Erwin 14...It hurts me to pick against my Warriors but I know what we face Friday night. Ooltewah is big 5A school with close to 80 players. The have only been scored on once this year including the preseason. With that said this might be the best team Erwin has had yet. They have a very good qb, wr's, and rb's. They also have a good defense.

Reynolds 55 Owen 21...Reynolds may very well be the best team in the mtns this season and Owen is in a rebuilding phase.

SM 28 Enka 21...Both of these teams are much improved but I will go with the home squad.

Asheville 42 Pisgah 21...I don't ever remember these two proud programs playing, but I am sure they have. Asheville is just way to fast for the Bears.

Tuscola 28 Mcdowell 17...Tuscola looks to be a better team this year. Mcdowell has a good qb, but it will not be enough to get a w in Waynesville.

East Rutherford 42 Roberson 28...East has enough athletes to beat Roberson. The Rams are still a mystery to me.

MH 28 NB 24....This game will be very close. MH is a very physical team with a good qb. North Buncombe is looking good this far, but it is hard to tell because of their schedule.

Well we are really getting a idea where the league stands now. As expected Reynolds, Erwin, and Asheville are at fighting for the top spot. NB looks like they want to break in to that top 3. Enka seems to be improved. Roberson is still a ? to me. Mcdowell is not bad either. Overall I believe this is the strongest the MAC has been from top to bottom in a while.

Here are the week 3 games..

Ooltewah at Erwin
Reynolds at Owen
Enka at Smokey Mtn
Asheville at Pisgah
Mcdowell at Tuscola
Roberson at East Rutherford
Mtn Heritage at North Buncombe

My picks..

Ooltewah 21 Erwin 14...It hurts me to pick against my Warriors but I know what we face Friday night. Ooltewah is big 5A school with close to 80 players. The have only been scored on once this year including the preseason. With that said this might be the best team Erwin has had yet. They have a very good qb, wr's, and rb's. They also have a good defense.

Reynolds 55 Owen 21...Reynolds may very well be the best team in the mtns this season and Owen is in a rebuilding phase.

SM 28 Enka 21...Both of these teams are much improved but I will go with the home squad.

Asheville 42 Pisgah 21...I don't ever remember these two proud programs playing, but I am sure they have. Asheville is just way to fast for the Bears.

Tuscola 28 Mcdowell 17...Tuscola looks to be a better team this year. Mcdowell has a good qb, but it will not be enough to get a w in Waynesville.

East Rutherford 42 Roberson 28...East has enough athletes to beat Roberson. The Rams are still a mystery to me.

MH 28 NB 24....This game will be very close. MH is a very physical team with a good qb. North Buncombe is looking good this far, but it is hard to tell because of their schedule.

The Bears played Asheville from 91-2000 .We beat them once in those nine years.So it will be a uphill climb for my Bears.Will have to play mistake free and hope the cougars don't.Still think it's a good measuring stick for the Bears,just to see where we at.

Ooltewah by 3[ will take your word for that since I know nothing about them]
Reynolds by 21
Enka by 7
Bears by 3[unlike you I never pick against my team]
Tuscola by 7
East Rutheford by 7
North Buncombe by 7

I heard pisgah had their best player ejected last week against Enka. That's not surprising. Pisgah has a bit of a reputation for being talkative. I think Asheville will take care of that on Friday. No more north buncombe and Enka. Lets just hope none of our guys get baited into a fight

Erwin by 1.
Having seen Ooltewah on film I'm not impressed. Their receivers can't catch and their QB can't seem to make an accurate pass. I also think their secondary is suspect. With the offense Erwin runs, and it being played at Erwin I think you guys can pull an upset. If they beat Erwin it will be late in the game when the Warriors are worn out.

Reynolds by 35.
Starters will be on the sidelines by the second quarter. It won't even be close.

Smokey Mountain by 21.
Enka will only win one other game this year. Hope and change will only get you so far.

Asheville by 14.
Like last week I believe we'll dominate the entire game but won't put the Bears to sleep until late. If our defense shows up you'll see a different Cougar team.

Tuscola by 7.
McDowell plays Asheville football without Asheville's athletes. This will be a close one but Tuscola will pull it out.

East Rutherford by 10.
TCR is going nowhere.

North Buncombe by 21.
I know everyone is saying MH has improved this year, but I don't see them winning this one. The Blackhawks are flying under the radar right now and I will predict right here and now that they will upset one of the big three (AHS-ACR-EHS) this year. Go ahead and laugh but it will happen.

Cougar-90, what film did you watch? The one I watched was scary. Their defense has on score on it since preseason. Do you have a link. I could be wrong about them.

BD, I watched a few on youtube and one of them was from a posters hudle account with several different highlights from last year. Number 11 for them is a beast on both sides of the ball but he mainly gets 90% of their touches. If you watch the films it's almost like their opponents are terrible which makes Ooltewah look better than they actually are. Ya'll should....I say SHOULD eat them alive with your passing game as long as you don't throw anywhere near #11.

BD, I watched a few on youtube and one of them was from a posters hudle account with several different highlights from last year. Number 11 for them is a beast on both sides of the ball but he mainly gets 90% of their touches. If you watch the films it's almost like their opponents are terrible which makes Ooltewah look better than they actually are. Ya'll should....I say SHOULD eat them alive with your passing game as long as you don't throw anywhere near #11.

I will check those out. I hope you are right. They where 11-1 last season I believe and ranked #5 in the state 5A this year. Maybe it was competition. They don't give up much at all on defense though. Maybe they have not seen a passing attack like Erwin's either. There are a lot of maybe's here so I guess I will just have to wait and see Friday night.

I heard pisgah had their best player ejected last week against Enka. That's not surprising. Pisgah has a bit of a reputation for being talkative. I think Asheville will take care of that on Friday. No more north buncombe and Enka. Lets just hope none of our guys get baited into a fight
One of our guys was ejected and I understand it was only for that game.He retaliated after being hit after the whistle as usual the ref only saw him.I have saw the Bears play two games and I have no idea who I would consider our best player since we have several that are pretty good.

Last edited:
One of our guys was ejected and I understand it was only for that game.He retaliated after being hit after the whistle as usual the ref only saw him.I have saw the Bears play two games and I have no idea who I would consider our best player since we have several that are pretty good.
Wrong! The ref was standing right there and saw the whole thing. Im not sure he saw the players gigging the enka sideline and coaches and the uppercuts being thrown in the line. I'm sure he will get out of it. They have different rules in Canton.

Pisgah has a great fan base but are they going to brig a good crowd to the High Friday night?

Ooltwah at Erwin: If Ooltwah really is the 5th ranked 5A team in Tennessee right now then they will beat Erwin unless they have 4 turnovers. If that is not indeed a fact then I certainly give Erwin a chance to win. Will Ferguson play is the real question? If they are ranked that high they win by 13, if not Erwin by 1.

Reynolds at Owen: I dont think there is much to say about this game. Reynolds will win by as many points as Shane Laws wants them to and if you throw in a little revenge factor, it could turn into a colossal blowout. If there is no mercy shown it could be 63-7, but I dont think it will be. Reynolds 48-14. Dowdle doesnt play in the 4th quarter.

Enka at Smoky Mountain: I dont know what Smoky Mountain has but Enka doesnt appear to be that bad. I saw they had Pisgah scared in the 4th quarter. Enka by 1.

McDowell at Tuscola: This might actually be a pretty good game. Tuscola because they are at home. 20-15.

Roberson at East Rutherford: Two teams that look good coming off the bus square off against one another. Roberson better win this one because they are basically going to forfeit their next 2 games. East Rutherford by 1 because East Rutherford wastes their talent just a little better than Roberson.

Mountain Heritage at North Buncombe: This season is shaping up like last year for North Buncombe. Coming out of the gates setting all sorts of records and then reality sets in at the end of the year. North Buncombe wins 31-21.

Pisgah at Asheville. I hope DW lets the players know not to be baited into a fight this week. I heard Pisgah may have a player missing this week due to an ejection? Its been a while since Asheville played Pisgah, glad we finally got them back. I will be curious to see what kind of crowd they bring over to NC's best football stadium.
In week 1 my only complaint was I felt like we were going to get Reggie Battle killed if we continue to use him that much. Last week he got even more carries than in week 1. Also after week 1 I was saying how much we needed to get our wide receivers involved more in the game. Last week we got them involved even less than the week before! Asheville may have the best receiving corps Coach Wilkins has coached at Asheville High. Drummond and Brewer have probably only been targeted 10 times this year through 2 games and have a mismatch on the guy covering them on just about every play. It would be a big shame to see those 2 talents be wasted if this continues all season. Battle is a major major workhorse for us who we know we will need to depend on, but why not work on the passing game now before a Reynolds Erwin or Weddington knows how to stop it? We cant continue to give Battle 30 carries a game and let 2 great wide receivers only jobs be to bring the plays in an out of the huddle. Its not a coincidence that our best runs from Aquila Smith and Reggie Battle come AFTER a pass. The only way teams can put 10 guys in the box against you is if you let them put 10 guys in the box. Hell put Brewer in the wildcat or something from time to time. ANYTHING. Eventually a team is going to realize, "hey Battle is gonna get the ball off tackle 30 times" and they WILL be able to stop it and we will be going home with a loss like we have early in the playoffs the last 2 years. We have got to find ways to put teams away and find more ways to move the ball on offense other than "Reggie right" and "Aquila up the middle". We can still be a running team, but at least THREATEN to throw the ball. Davidson hasnt even thrown the ball alot and yet he still has a good amount of yards because our receivers make plays. We have to find a way how to get our athletes out in open space or we will go home earlier than we should...again. As for this week, I think it may take Pisgah a while to adjust to our size and speed after playing against North Buncombe and Enka. Also, I advise them NOT to talk trash, teams that have taunted Asheville in the past typically lose. (Crest 2002, Anson 2005, Carver 2007) Asheville 35 Pisgah 14.

Erwin has a chance to win either way. Sure it will be tough, but this is a pretty decent looking Erwin team this year.

Cougar1, I agree with everything you said about getting our WR's the ball. I'd only add that we have a seriously good TE as well that will be a play maker for us besides just blocking.

As for what I said about Erwin this week, I really do think you guys will be OK against Ooltewah . I don't care how high they're ranked, their competition up to this point has sucked. Your real test will come against Science Hill in week 4. If Sexton and Tarr are smart they'll keep your best players out of that game completely. Ya'll don't want to get beat to hell in that game and then have to play Franklin the following week. Either way, ya'll are MAC so I'm pulling for you guys to send the TN boys home with an L. I want all the MAC teams to stay healthy so when conference play starts we can see who the big dog is this year.

Cougar90 you are right about shivers. He is a great tight end with good hands and is another big target for Davidson.

When did Asheville change their mascot to the Wilkins's Angel's? This whole baiting thing works two ways fellas.

I think Erwin got a really good chance to beat Science Hill.SH only beat Elizabethton 28-21 Friday night..SH has got Maryville the next week after they play Erwin.They might overlook Erwin.

Erwin by 3
Reynolds by 42
Smokey by 7
Asheville by 14
Tuscola by 10
East Rutherford by 10
N.Buncombe by 7

No offense but Riverdale is one of the better teams in the state of TN that they lost too 9-5.Ooltewah one lose last year was to Rhea Co. who lost to Knox West in the Semis 35-28.

http://www.tennprepdb.com/teamhomeseasons.aspx?Team1=Riverdale
It's hard to compare teams based on who they play without knowing about football in the area. Riverdale beat Ooltewah 9-5, then lost last week 34-27 to a Franklin team that lost their opener 20-0 to Centennial. Centennial lost last week 49-6 to Independence, who is in Franklin's conference. What all that means.... I don't know.

Kind of runs in a circle and back around again, but Erwin is a good team and them winning against a 5A school from that state to the west wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Last edited:
I think we've actually done a pretty good job targeting Shivers so far. Had a few catches last Friday and he converted a 4th down on the tight end screen. I agree with the receivers, especially Brewer and Drummond. I'm not going to worry too much yet though. DW typically adds different wrinkles and things in as the season goes along. Ahscougar1, that '04 receiving core was pretty solid as well. I remember Carver trying to taunt and intimidate before that game in '07. Rahkeem just nodded his head and didn't say a word. I knew then it was already over.

Well Independence is ranked 2nd in the 5a AP poll.All the other schools are 6a.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/spo...te-rankings-released-following-week/71477834/

Class 5A= Record Pts Prv
1. Oak Ridge (10) 2-0 167 3
2. Independence (5) 2-0 160 4
3. Hendersonville 2-0 131 5
4. Sevier County (3) 2-0 126 7
5. Hillsboro (1) 1-1 118 1
6. Rhea County 1-1 89 6
7. Knoxville West 1-1 78 2
8. Morristown West (1) 1-1 77 9
9. Ooltewah 1-1 57 8
10. Henry County 1-1 33 10
Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Shelbyville 14. <

I know Erwin is good. I might try to watch them hopefully beat Science Hill next week.

Last edited:
Yea carver really was stupid for taunting that 2007 team. They were number 1 in 3a at that time and lost on their home field because of it. In 2002 crest almost started a fight before the game, they were ranked number 1 and lost on their home field. Anson county did the stomping thing on the cougar paw in 2005 and proceeded to be annihilated. Sometimes trash talking before a game can stir the hornets nest

Reactions: AHSDYNASY
Wrong! The ref was standing right there and saw the whole thing. Im not sure he saw the players gigging the enka sideline and coaches and the uppercuts being thrown in the line. I'm sure he will get out of it. They have different rules in Canton.
Well Hello pot meet kettle? Really? I've never heard of a Asheville kid jawing or getting off easy? You've took players thrown out of other schools for years..expect a big crowd from Canton to much Asheville in the end Cougars by 14 but don't act like your guys have never jawed played them my freshman year before the series stopped and I can assure you they do. As for the ejection he deserved it but one in particular enka player had done the same thing all night long and never even drew a flag.

How does the Asheville qb look this season. He was a pretty decent qb at Erwin, but played back up to a few others.

He has 339 passing yards through 2 games. 3 touchdowns and 3 ints. Probably has 25 attempts for the season and is probably completing 65-70 percent of his passes.

I heard pisgah had their best player ejected last week against Enka. That's not surprising. Pisgah has a bit of a reputation for being talkative. I think Asheville will take care of that on Friday. No more north buncombe and Enka. Lets just hope none of our guys get baited into a fight[/QUO. Asheville isntva a bunch of golden boy church choir singers... Baited...lol..whatever

How does the Asheville qb look this season. He was a pretty decent qb at Erwin, but played back up to a few others.

It's hard to tell at this point since he doesn't get many chances to air the ball out. He looks a little more comfortable every game. Kind of reminds me of Deveron Roberts with less speed but better accuracy.

He has 339 passing yards through 2 games. 3 touchdowns and 3 ints. Probably has 25 attempts for the season and is probably completing 65-70 percent of his passes.

One of those interceptions was in triple coverage and under pressure outside the pocket. Another one was the receiver having the ball taken out of his hands by a DB after the completion. He has impressed me with the quick hits on slants and hitting people in the flats in traffic.

No QB improves season to season like the ones Erwin produce. They do a good job over at Erwin

Ill agree with that. Nobody uses the talent on their roster better than Erwin and I'm not being sarcastic.

I think Devon has looked solid so far. 2 of his 3 picks were on the money, the DB just ripped it out of the receivers hands. I think Devon is a lot like Tevin except he takes more chances. Bucky Tarr at Erwin does a great job developing and using their talent. Each system has its flaws though. I feel like Erwin has gotten away from the run almost too much the last few years. Asheville relies too heavily on the run a lot of times and Reynolds refuses to let some of their best players and athletes go both ways. That's just my observation. All 3 have excellent coaching staffs but I do agree that Erwin utilizes their skill player's talents better than any team around. I do think that Asheville develops their O-line just as good or better than anyone around. Year in and year out Asheville produces one of the most physical lines around regardless of size.

Last edited:
AHSDYNASY, I think you've pretty much hit it on the head. I am one of those people who don't complain much about us being a run first team. I like our game plan. Run the ball, put points on the board and control the clock. I've said it many times before, the way you beat a dominant spread offense like Reynolds or Erwin is to not let them on the field. With so many teams in the MAC and in western NC in general going to the spread it does give us an advantage. Everyone who goes to the spread has to gear their defense up to defeat other teams spreads and that allows us to beat people up with a smash mouth run game. That being said, I also agree with you and Cougar1 about the quality of our receivers this year and we need to start using them way more.

After watching Erwin run for close to 400 yards this past Friday, I think they need to mix it in more. Poore and Smith are both very good running backs and they will be back next season. We shall see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT