Reynolds 56
McDowell 8

Asheville 49
Enka 14

Erwin 49
North Buncombe 20

Roberson 48
Franklin 14

These are all snoozers. The favorites all win and win big. A potential to go 4 for 4 in the running clock category.

I wish the MAC would take into consideration the big matchups between the “traditional” 4 powers of the league and at least try to creat some excitement in the last week of the year. Cleveland county does a great job with this. You’ve got Shelby/Burns and KM/Crest this week to decide a conference title.

Granted the MAC had its “conference championship” last week, but it would be cool to see it come down to the final game of the year once in a while.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
The MAC really needs Enka, North Buncombe, and McDowell to be a threat to win on a regular basis. McDowell really has no excuses, they have a big school, only school in county, they have great facilities, I’m guessing there isn’t a lot of support from fans or administrators. I know they used to pack the house for women’s hoops, where is that support for football? As for Crest’s conference and Shelby’s conference both are extremely top heavy as well. Neither of their conferences have a middle either. Shelby’s conference may have some of the worst teams in the state holding up their bottom.

As for my MAC picks, I believe there will be 4 running clock games. Next week should be more interesting!

Reactions: BK13T-$
Agreed. However, it seems as though the gap between traditionally good programs and traditionally bad programs is growing exponentially with each passing year (at least in WNC).

The best that the MAC can hope for is for ACR, TCR, Asheville, and Erwin to all have great years at the same time.

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
Agreed. However, it seems as though the gap between traditionally good programs and traditionally bad programs is growing exponentially with each passing year (at least in WNC).

The best that the MAC can hope for is for ACR, TCR, Asheville, and Erwin to all have great years at the same time.
It's growing because the best athletes transfer out from the smaller schools to the successful schools. If McDowell had Ellis this year they would at least have 2 or 3 more wins. But there is growing football support in McDowell with some better success in youth and middle school levels.
Coaching is a big part of it too. You have to get the buy in from everyone not just the good old boys or the rich families on Lake James.

I have to say, I’m not sure why Ellis transferred from McDowell, he was going to be their go to man and a stud for them. I know our staff was contacted by his parents about coming to ACR and we flat out told him he’d not get as much playing time because we had a stud back, of course we didn’t know our back would be out all year either. However, Our two sophomore TB’s have been great this year. I guess he just wanted to be on a winning team and no one predicted Asheville to be down like they are. He probably could have gone to Erwin and really helped them but who knows. Erwin would have been better had their stud WR not came to ACR, but he said he was tired of losing and who can blame kids they can see the teams that put winning as a priority and sadly the bottom of our conference doesn’t.

Reactions: Titanman27
I just realized, Asheville got a stud RB from McDowell, ACR got a stud WR from Erwin, and TCR got a very good RB from Brevard. Top three teams all got transfers although with or without those transfers I still think those are the top three teams. However it did weaken Erwin and McDowell a lot. Brevard still won their conference though.

I can’t blame a kid for wanting to go to a better situation for themselves. In today’s day and age it is going to take a lot to turn around a struggling program, and it starts with administrative support. There is no hope, even for the best of the best of coaches, to turn around a struggling program without that support.

Once the administration is on board, then a special coach will have to generate a tremendous amount of interest and recruit his own players in his own hallways to stay and play instead of leaving for greener pastures or not playing at all.

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
Lol we got killed by the good teams and killed the bad teams. You’re right…. THIS particular year we are middle. Aka .500

I'm ready for Franklin to get back to its winning days. Franklin is the sleeper program in the MAC in my opinion. They can field a competitive team

I'm ready for Franklin to get back to its winning days. Franklin is the sleeper program in the MAC in my opinion. They can field a competitive team
They’re in the Mtn. 7. I don’t think they are going to be overly dominant in the future like they once were. More blips of success when certain groups roll through but not sustained. It doesn’t seem like the overwhelming majority of their athletes play football like they once did. That’s just what it appears from the outside.

Fairly consistent success at the middle school and JV level but it isn’t typically translating to varsity.

Reactions: BK13T-$
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT