ADVERTISEMENT

It's official, Richmond Coach has resigned

I do believe the right hire would be a former assistant coach that has moved on to be a head coach at another school. Of course, these former coaches would have to want it and the reasons they left in the first place would need to be addressed. People say it's always good to go back home, but not if it's those people that made you want to leave in the first place.

I do believe the right hire would be a former assistant coach that has moved on to be a head coach at another school. Of course, these former coaches would have to want it and the reasons they left in the first place would need to be addressed. People say it's always good to go back home, but not if it's those people that made you want to leave in the first place.
Excellent post RT. Interestingly enough, the vast majority of (former asst.) coaches who have departed RC have all done so for similar (although somewhat varying - in "spots"), if not synonymous reasons. All of them possess associations/friendships w/each other, in a most unique fashion. All acknowledge that RC is an awesome coaching experience - full of highs (& lows) that are inexplicable. The majority of Richmond Co. folk are amazing - friendly, understanding, genuine, sincere, honest, realistic, & supportive. They're also ... relatively "quiet." They don't amp up w/negativity when the climb falls short of planting the flag. Ah, but then ... there are those - that much smaller percentage of fans who "scream the loudest;" those who expect (& literally believe that) the talent is there to finish better any year where the schedule falls short of 16-games. The ones who are hypercritical of any/(almost every-)thing, when the results ... fall short.

All those whom I know personally, they love RC - by the same respect also, the time they spent there. They acknowledge it was an experience rivaled by no other. Yet, we all moved on. You have a special place - a most special, coveted situation, by many w/in the coaching ranks. Yet you have an apparent influential fan base that's also (seemingly) more concerned w/HOW (offensive strategy) you win, rather than THAT you win.

The best coaches adapt & overcome. They evaluate what they have (the talents of their player-personnel), & they incorporate systematic approaches designed to maximize & get the most out of "said talent." It may not always be exciting to watch - for many who do not possess enough insight to appreciate why, how, & what for. For these folks ... I honestly don't know what to say. Well no, yes I do - yall are not part of what (all) is missed most about Richmond Co., for all former assistants who moved on.

IF the powers that be could figure out & devise a means to get these uber-critics on board w/your supportive factions ... many coaches would love to return. Until then? Well ...?

Best wishes to the Raiders moving forward. The very best of wishes to whomever your next head coach will be. Much love & respect to the Raider faithful ...

Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Excellent post RT. Interestingly enough, the vast majority of (former asst.) coaches who have departed RC have all done so for similar (although somewhat varying - in "spots"), if not synonymous reasons. All of them possess associations/friendships w/each other, in a most unique fashion. All acknowledge that RC is an awesome coaching experience - full of highs (& lows) that are inexplicable. The majority of Richmond Co. folk are amazing - friendly, understanding, genuine, sincere, honest, realistic, & supportive. They're also ... relatively "quiet." They don't amp up w/negativity when the climb falls short of planting the flag. Ah, but then ... there are those - that much smaller percentage of fans who "scream the loudest;" those who expect (& literally believe that) the talent is there to finish better any year where the schedule falls short of 16-games. The ones who are hypercritical of any/(almost every-)thing, when the results ... fall short.

All those whom I know personally, they love RC - by the same respect also, the time they spent there. They acknowledge it was an experience rivaled by no other. Yet, we all moved on. You have a special place - a most special, coveted situation, by many w/in the coaching ranks. Yet you have an apparent influential fan base that's also (seemingly) more concerned w/HOW (offensive strategy) you win, rather than THAT you win.

The best coaches adapt & overcome. They evaluate what they have (the talents of their player-personnel), & they incorporate systematic approaches designed to maximize & get the most out of "said talent." It may not always be exciting to watch - for many who do not possess enough insight to appreciate why, how, & what for. For these folks ... I honestly don't know what to say. Well no, yes I do - yall are not part of what (all) is missed most about Richmond Co., for all former assistants who moved on.

IF the powers that be could figure out & devise a means to get these uber-critics on board w/your supportive factions ... many coaches would love to return. Until then? Well ...?

Best wishes to the Raiders moving forward. The very best of wishes to whomever your next head coach will be. Much love & respect to the Raider faithful ...

Merry Christmas.
This has nothing to do with what you said Bullz
Such a great post though, but the facts stand: The Richie Rich community will hold a verbal riot if it takes that in order to fire a coach.

The best adaptable coach can arrive and overcome obstacles, they can evaluate and corporate and get the most of what talent may or may not exist. The facts stand for whatever reason he will be fired or choose to resign based on pressure matters.

The Richie Rich community are brutal for such choices

If you dont believe me..........WATCH

I'm hearing it was all from within. Also that the next coach may very well be the QB from the 1998 state title team(Cannot remember his name) and that guy has only been a coach for 6yrs with NO experience even at the coordinator position...if that is Richmond's hire then yall can have fun with your hometown hero but that'd be a terrible hire. Unmitigated disaster is a possibility with a hire like that

If you're referring to Mike Thomas...that's wild... not hardLy...The stuff that comes up on here...They'll be ready next year...GO RAIDERS.

True and more true. Btango speaks facts.

Bottom line is Richmond County did the right thing in offering him the choice to resign. People make mistakes. ALL OF US. Richmond did not have to give him the choice to resign, but they did. Their choice allows Castellano to continue his educational career. The only thing Richmond can say at this point when asked by another LEA how Castellano did in his teaching positions is by giving him a 'neutral reference.' That is the legal term for where this has gone and where it will end. End of story.

It does not matter what he did or did not do, what's done is done. Next teacher up, next HC up. I'm hearing the next HC will come from the south, and not too far away.

I think RSHS should look due north of Richmond County, specifically in the general metro area of Wadeville (a sister city of Mt. Gilead). There's a red headed guy up there that you would be crazy not to consider.

Reactions: UNCGrad2014
You people act like children... "his name rhymes with 'Ben'." Come on. If you know it, say it. It's Denson. He was the QB of the 97 and 98 state championship teams. While I agree that he does have only six/seven years of experience, he has a loyalty to the Raider tradition and an understanding of the community which is important in the head coach role. I remember when Hal Shular accepted the head position at Richmond - without head coaching experience. He did well - he was organized, dedicated, and understood his role in the community. And guess what, the Raiders did just fine. I can't say with certainty he would be THE BEST choice for the job, but he should be strongly considered. His devotion to the Richmond athletics since his high school days (especially over the last 18 months where multiple attempts were made by Castellano to force him out) and his understanding of a winning tradition are assets that will be hard to find from an outside candidate. I'm looking forward to the process and will support whoever comes along to lead the team.

Reactions: Ben-Badd
This has nothing to do with what you said Bullz
Such a great post though, but the facts stand: The Richie Rich community will hold a verbal riot if it takes that in order to fire a coach.

The best adaptable coach can arrive and overcome obstacles, they can evaluate and corporate and get the most of what talent may or may not exist. The facts stand for whatever reason he will be fired or choose to resign based on pressure matters.

The Richie Rich community are brutal for such choices

If you dont believe me..........WATCH
DONT BELIEVE ME......... JUST WATCH
Richie Rich Community is smoother than a fresh jar of Skippy

One note on Shuler, he had coached at the college level in addition to a few high schools prior to Richmond.

Why would a head coach want to get rid of a guy with that experience and love of the program?

My way or the highway approach...I don't know for a fact...just a thought.Coach C. Did change the whole scheme a bit. Maybe they couldn't agree.

Reactions: swett2victory
Denson wasn't one of his "boys" ...
and Denson probably has a little more political background than Jay Jones, making it difficult for Castellano to get rid of him.

People seem to forget too that Brad was coached by the legendary Daryl Barnes. If I remember correctly, Brad never lost a game as a starting QB, even back in Middle School. With a father that has coached for many years, I suspect Denson's knowledge is well beyond his actual age.

Brad Denson did not lose a game as a starting QB. Correct. He was also surrounded by superstars that went on to play in the NFL.

Hal coached at 5 colleges and does understand the expectations but with his current position at RCC he's not going anywhere near Raider Stadium as anything other than a fan.

Hal coached at 5 colleges and does understand the expectations but with his current position at RCC he's not going anywhere near Raider Stadium as anything other than a fan.

The only reason that I mentioned Shuler's coaching history was another posted wrote that Richmond had hired an HC before without HC experience. Thought Hal's experience should be mentioned.

Reactions: RaiderTitanium
I have seen Richmond at their best and at their worst. Football is the only sport that everyone attaches themselves to. It is a sport that illustrates the strengths of a particular County. All walks of life cling to football, rather they've played it or not. I am a true believe that what goes up must come down. Richmond fans must rally behind each other and rally behind the next coach in order to be successful again. The search committee should include a former player or two, to insure buy in from those who truly bleed Green and Gold. I look forward to seeing the Raider Ascend to the top of the mountain again. Reaching the top of the mountain will give the county an appreciation of greatness again. Remember, greatness can't be bought, it can't be talked, it can't be interfered with. Greatness is earned on the field.

I am very speechless right now; unless Coach Castellano did something detrimental to the program I dont see why he resigned. Castellano wad the right man for the job, believe it or not he was setting our beloved Raiders up to be a force to reckon with the years to come; am I dumbfounded right now. For the senior class this will be the 3rd coach they have played for, are you kidding me. When you look at the culture kf the team, Castellano was a perfect fit unless he did something stupid.

I agree, totally was in in Reference to Coach Clark, it waz in reference to an above message about the tradition and program at Richmond if we keep starting over.

Politics, politics, politics. That's the only way you could justify Denson getting the job with only 6 or 7 yrs coaching experience and ZERO of those in a Position of authority.
We had a 20-25 yr Coach with State Championship, Coordinator, & Asst Head Coach experience within the program that would've made more sense in hiring last time (2 yrs ago).
We can't keep taking steps back.

Politics, politics, politics. That's the only way you could justify Denson getting the job with only 6 or 7 yrs coaching experience and ZERO of those in a Position of authority.
We had a 20-25 yr Coach with State Championship, Coordinator, & Asst Head Coach experience within the program that would've made more sense in hiring last time (2 yrs ago).
We can't keep taking steps back.
Well if what I have heard is true those within Richmond want Denson. Guess being a hometown hero with a dad who was/is a good coach qualifies you at Richmond now.

It has been 20+ years since Richmond has promoted from within. I don't see it happening this time either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT