ADVERTISEMENT

It's official, Richmond Coach has resigned

I personally would like to see Mike Kesler as the head coach and him training Brad to take the helm after he retires.

Kesler hasn't coached in RC last 2 years. In fact, he retired from the state, but worked out something where he could coach with Hoggard again. Doubt he comes out of retirement for this.

I DOUBT ANYONE COMES OUT THEIR HOME, ROOM, OR EVEN BATHROOM FOR THIS. THE COMMUNITY BEHAVIOR IN THE RICHIE RICH AREA HAS SCARED HIGH CALIBER COACHES FROM APPLYING OR EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT.

YOURE GOING TO GET AN AVERAGE JOE..............AT BEST

animated-merry-christmas-image-0259.gif

Well give the Keys to Brad, when I think of Brad coaching I think aboit the Harding twins from Charlotte or AL Brown.
I wouldn't wanna be compared to the Hardin twins. They have a reputation for leaving places very quickly. Blair just left N Myrtle Beach for River Bluff after only I think 3-4 seasons there after only a year at Freedom and before that a few years at PR.

Well give the Keys to Brad, when I think of Brad coaching I think aboit the Harding twins from Charlotte or AL Brown.

Not a good comparison. Brad needs more experience in my opinion. Go somewhere & prove yourself.
I'm telling you guys if we were gonna hire within, we shoulda done it last time. No one on this current staff is ready, but I'm sure at least 2 will apply.

Hey guys you are thinking of Brad the 97-98 17 year old teenager, this is a 35-36 Full Grown Man. Give him a chance, "what the HELL do we have to lose", ref. Donald Trump.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben-Badd
You give me 6 or 7 years doing anything, and I promise you I'll be an expert at it. I think Brad would be an excellent hire. Let's hire someone who has actually worn the uniform for once.

You give me 6 or 7 years doing anything, and I promise you I'll be an expert at it. I think Brad would be an excellent hire. Let's hire someone who has actually worn the uniform for once.
But no experience at running an entire team or even an entire side of the ball, don't you want some experience at doing that? I mean I get it he wore the uniform but that doesn't mean jack squat.

You would NOT be an expert at coaching, much less running an entire program.
Seems Richmond County has it bass ackwards. When the program was in better shape you didn't want to hire within, now that it's slipped back, you want to hire within. As someone said,.....politics it is, apparently.
Was Castellano the only problem?

I wouldn't wanna be compared to the Hardin twins. They have a reputation for leaving places very quickly. Blair just left N Myrtle Beach for River Bluff after only I think 3-4 seasons there after only a year at Freedom and before that a few years at PR.
Man, Hardin left N.Myrtle Beach already. He must keep a U-Haul in his drive way.

u guys missed what I said, the Harding boys grew up in a football home and so did Brad; The Harcing boys had head football jobs at very young age ; everytime I have seen Brad he is doing something with Richmond athletics and trust me his football IQ is second to none.

u guys missed what I said, the Harding boys grew up in a football home and so did Brad; The Harcing boys had head football jobs at very young age ; everytime I have seen Brad he is doing something with Richmond athletics and trust me his football IQ is second to none.
Has he ever run an entire program though? I mean do we even know if he can run an offense? People say "oh it doesn't matter give him a shot" well fine give him that shot and if he falls flat on his face and sinks Richmond even lower than you don't get to complain since you wanted him

I'm not a Richmond guy obviously, but I don't want to see them fall further into the pit of irrelevance, HS FB in NC is better when Richmond is good.

What dog do you have in the fight? My other question: Do you know him personally? Have you coached alongside him to be able to make such statements? I'm only asking because you seem to know him and his abilities (or lack there of) very well to be able to say he would fall flat on his face.

I'm not a Richmond guy obviously, but I don't want to see them fall further into the pit of irrelevance, HS FB in NC is better when Richmond is good.
Put of irrelevance? Any given Friday I believe we can beat anyone in the state. We don't know who will get the job or who will apply. The only way too get experience is too do it. Whoever gets the job I for one will support him 100%

What dog do you have in the fight? My other question: Do you know him personally? Have you coached alongside him to be able to make such statements? I'm only asking because you seem to know him and his abilities (or lack there of) very well to be able to say he would fall flat on his face.

And none of us know whether he will be successful at the same rate. Would you hire a teacher who had no type of administrative experience to run a school? I sure hope not. It's the same thing. I'm not saying that he can or can't, but if this hire goes in that direction, don't be surprised if there are a lot of people upset in Richmond County and abroad. You'll definitely hear "Good Ole Boys" over and over.

But how would said teacher get administration experience if no one gave him a chance? We have enough talent that the town drunk could coach this team too a winning record

Reactions: Ben-Badd
But how would said teacher get administration experience if no one gave him a chance? We have enough talent that the town drunk could coach this team too a winning record

As a teacher this is how it goes

1) Teacher
2) Facilitator (Over a particular subject and responsible for growing those teachers)
3) Dean of Students
4) Assistant Principal
5) Principal

Coach
1) Position Coach (JV)
2) Coordinator (JV)/Position Coach (Varsity)
3) Coordinator (Vasity)
4) Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach (Varsity)
5) Head Coach (Varsity)

This is what I would look for before I would hire a coach to lead Richmond County. Hopefully this explains my stance better.

You have to get head coaching experience somewhere, but I understand some of the concerns about a first-timer coming to Richmond. I've said it before... I'm not certain Brad is the best candidate, but I am sure he will get a strong look with this round of interviews.

I have known Brad for several years. I think his character has proven that he deserves a good look. And I don't believe there's anyone else with his knowledge of the game that bleeds green and gold the way he does.

My personal belief is Denson will take the reigns. I may be wrong, just my opinion. Call it a "good ole boy system" or "inside job" ... whoever gets it deserves respect and support until he proves he is undeserving.

Reactions: blackjackwally

And you may be outpunting your coverage with the talent mention. It may be coming down the line, and I'm one of that opinion, but the talent there isn't what it used to be.

You have to get head coaching experience somewhere, but I understand some of the concerns about a first-timer coming to Richmond. I've said it before... I'm not certain Brad is the best candidate, but I am sure he will get a strong look with this round of interviews.

I have known Brad for several years. I think his character has proven that he deserves a good look. And I don't believe there's anyone else with his knowledge of the game that bleeds green and gold the way he does.

My personal belief is Denson will take the reigns. I may be wrong, just my opinion. Call it a "good ole boy system" or "inside job" ... whoever gets it deserves respect and support until he proves he is undeserving.

Denson was interviewed for the position two years ago, but this time he will be a serious candidate for the job. I'm with you on that.

I have none outside of not wanting a great program to fall further down from where they once were. I'm fairly well connected across the state I never make statements unless I'm sure of them. I dont care who he is, if he has 0 experience as even a coordinator that's a major risk. Like I said go hire the pee wee coach, if he has 6-7 yrs of experience he's an expert.
I don't need to know someone personally to assess them as a coach, people do it on here all the time including many Richmond fans.

Put of irrelevance? Any given Friday I believe we can beat anyone in the state. We don't know who will get the job or who will apply. The only way too get experience is too do it. Whoever gets the job I for one will support him 100%
Compared to where we are used to seeing Richmond 3-4 losses a year is just not what I expect. Maybe irrelevance wasn't the right word.
If you want to have more of those or worse you can hire him. Id hope youd support him, but I'd give him a season or two to get his own system in and such. That's one thing you didn't do with Castellano and shouldve

Reactions: Ben-Badd and dcov33

One thing that has helped make the Hardin's very good is they coached under very good HC's in different programs after college and they both played college football.
They have not had any long periods being away from the game. Their father was HC at several successful programs and an assistant in the college ranks.

I think Blair's moves have made sense but still short periods at each stop. It has always been rumored he was having issued with the Union County admin at Porter Ridge and we have seen how coaches at Sun Valley and Marvin Ridge were treated. He was only at Freedom one season. People do not know he wanted to go to Dutch Fork as a co-ordinator after PR but they could not get him on staff which Knotts was not happy about. Hardin wanted in the SC system. (Funny, how not many successful HC's want to come to North Carolina!) He left Freedom after one year. Said it was a good job but living in Morganton from Charlotte is a big change and going to the beach area and an extra $20k plus is a nice move. He spent two years at NMB and will now be the new coach at River Bluff HS outside Columbia and another nice pay raise. Great facilities at a 5A school. If you have seen Blair coach up close you know why schools want him.

I am very speechless right now; unless Coach Castellano did something detrimental to the program I dont see why he resigned. Castellano wad the right man for the job, believe it or not he was setting our beloved Raiders up to be a force to reckon with the years to come; am I dumbfounded right now. For the senior class this will be the 3rd coach they have played for, are you kidding me. When you look at the culture kf the team, Castellano was a perfect fit unless he did something stupid.
His problem was 21-nothing Because fans don't want to be set up for later, they want results time he took the Job........

This job is ripe for the taking by a Coach BUT he must be the right man!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time this was the job for Mike Byus to turn down and he did. He was returning a core group from his second state title team with highly recruited record setting players returning. Wonder if he will be in the mix again?

Politics, politics, politics. That's the only way you could justify Denson getting the job with only 6 or 7 yrs coaching experience and ZERO of those in a Position of authority.
We had a 20-25 yr Coach with State Championship, Coordinator, & Asst Head Coach experience within the program that would've made more sense in hiring last time (2 yrs ago).
We can't keep taking steps back.

Why does 20-25 years experience make you a better coach than a guy with 7 or 8 years experience just curious?

All great head coaches at one point in their careers had never been head coaches. Everything can't be about past experiences but what is the coach prepared to take on now.

If no one was ever given an opportunity to prove themselves then Nick Sabah would still be making turkey sandwiches for Bill Belichik in Cleveland

I think the consensus is most coaches work their way from position coach to OC/DC and then HC.

If Richmond got a resume from a position coach that did not play college football with 8 years total experience all at one school would he get an interview? May be but I expect not.

If Denson put in an application at Crest, Butler, MC, Pinecrest, or Scotland (if those were open) would he get an interview? My guess is he would get interviews at schools that are more average and probably not as recognized as a power program.

In fairness to all he has been at RC so they have watched him work and know more about him. If the admin thinks after interviews he is truly the best man for the job then hire him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT