ADVERTISEMENT

Is the SPC title already on the line next week?

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
I realize that it's ridiculous to pose such a question for this early in the season, but it's also unusual to have a conference game before the month of September....Nonetheless, the Bessemer City Yellowjackets who have either won or shared the SPC title the last 3 years will travel to first-year SPC member Mountain Island Charter on August 28th....Ordinarily, folks would scoff at such a notion that a first year program would have a chance against a 3-time regining champ but as most folks already know, or have read, Mountain Island Charter isn't your typical first year varsity program that is low on expectations, and their head coach stated as much prior to the season....Mixed with that enthusiasm, is a roster that consist of a couple of Preseason All-State players in Sr. WR Connor O' Donnell and Jr. DB/Ath Aapri Washington, so the Raptors seemingly have the talent to compete for SPC honors in their very first season, and the answer should come this coming friday in their first-ever SPC game against the reigning 14' SPC champs....

I'm sure the Community School of Davidson and Pine Lake Prep will have a lot to say this year as both those teams return quite a few talented players, especially CSOD who returns Sr. RB Joey Bernardini who rushed for over 2100yds and 29TDs last season....CSOD will host Mountain Island Charter on Sept 25th in another crucial matchup in the SPC....

Just curious to what SPC members think about having to play conference games this early in the season, and who they expect to contend for the conference title this year?

Opinions and Comments are welcomed!

I'm just curious to know if Aapri Washington and RB Robert Washington of East Gaston are related?

Thanks in advance!

Saw CSD up close Friday against Bishop. They are VERY good.

Haven't seen the others in the SPC for comparison purposes, but I can't imagine many have the skill players that CSD does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT