ADVERTISEMENT

Is Shelby going small 2A?

I just hope that rumor ain’t true about Anson County, the one good team that would have given you guys a challenge this year in that pathetic 2A West.
2a west has just as many top 4 ranked teams as 2aa. 2a seems more of a coin flip than 2aa. No one other than shelby have a chance. Just my opinion. That's out or respect for shelby. Not sarcasm

Reactions: 97Cougar
Hmmm...went back and re-read my post and Nope, saw nothing about hoping for an easier bracket. Saw 2 reasons:
1. Beat Reidsville's @$$ to they don't have the usual cupcake walk into a state championship.
2. Burns and Shelby, both Cleveland County Schools, win state championships instead of one having to knock the other off.

Shelby won't lose in small 2a. Only team with a shot at Shelby in 2AA West is Burns. We have only lost to a 2A team twice in the last 7 years. I don't see that happening in the next 6 weeks.

Listen Guy whose screen name reflects the score of a game between his team and Shelby (Shelby is so in his head), I realize you are terrified of Shelby. I would be to if I was on the other side of the ball. Relax, take a deep breath, and be so incredibly thankful for subdivided playoffs (that reached back to the early 1900s).
Those divided playoffs gave me 1 title head to head vs shelby. I prayed for a matchup with shelby. And got it. Nobody scared. Seems 2aa is cupcaking all the way to a title for shelby. This is only year left unless a non conference game happens. Which it wont. We haven't got the phone call yet about yall trying to schedule. So maybe yall scared just as much

Last year, ND would have had trouble with all three of the teams in the title games. Speed was the weakness and it was exposed.

With that said, I think ND would have fared better in the trenches against Rville and NE. We would have gotten our points, it's just a matter of whether we would have stopped them enough times from getting the big plays.

Shelby was just as good as we were in every category, and we ran similar systems. When similar systems go against each other usually the better athletes shine. Shelby also has grest coaches. I like our coaches on Xs and Os but there is a reason Shelby is the most consistent program in NC historically.

Would love to have seen both NE and Rville against ND. I think it would have been a good pair of games either way.
I would have like to have seen ND vs Reidsville, too. After all, y’all did beat their conference mate, Cummings, worst than they did, 62-7. I think our defense by the end of last season was playing at such a high level, that it made it appeared that you guys were mediocre to these Reidsville guys. If those Mountain teams gave them all that they wanted, y’all most certainly could have beaten them, period. And as for as Northeastern is concerned, I’m going to always favor the more balanced, offensively, western teams.

Last edited:
I would have like to have seen ND vs Reidsville, too. After all, y’all did beat their conference mate, Cummings, worst than they did, 62-7. I think our defense by the end of last season was playing at such a high level, that it made it appeared that you guys were mediocre to these Reidsville guys. If those Mountain teams gave them all that they wanted, y’all most certainly could have beaten them, period. And as for as Northeastern is concerned, I’m going to always favored the more balanced, offensively, western teams.

Some of our fans like to say that if we had scored that TD down in the end zone that turned into a pick 6, we would have won.

ND fans can be a bit biased... From what I saw that play gave you guys all the momentum and you did what championship teams do. You stepped on the throat. I think the game may have been closer but to my eyes you had the better all around team.

I will say this: you guys had trouble with Blake Stephens, our big DE. He would have been even more imposing against the offensive lines I saw in the 2A game.

Again, not saying we were out and out better than Rville or NE. But I would certainly like our chances.

Reactions: Lion Attack
Some of our fans like to say that if we had scored that TD down in the end zone that turned into a pick 6, we would have won.

ND fans can be a bit biased... From what I saw that play gave you guys all the momentum and you did what championship teams do. You stepped on the throat. I think the game may have been closer but to my eyes you had the better all around team.

I will say this: you guys had trouble with Blake Stephens, our big DE. He would have been even more imposing against the offensive lines I saw in the 2A game.

Again, not saying we were out and out better than Rville or NE. But I would certainly like our chances.

He would have been imposing vs either team. Don't forget Northeastern had a really good defensive line, with 3 div 1 guys on it

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I would have like to have seen ND vs Reidsville, too. After all, y’all did beat their conference mate, Cummings, worst than they did, 62-7.

You bring that common opponent idea, but you and others said the Rams beating East Rutherford worse than Shelby did last year meant nothing?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Those divided playoffs gave me 1 title head to head vs shelby. I prayed for a matchup with shelby. And got it. Nobody scared. Seems 2aa is cupcaking all the way to a title for shelby. This is only year left unless a non conference game happens. Which it wont. We haven't got the phone call yet about yall trying to schedule. So maybe yall scared just as much

Actually those divided titles have given you all 20.....but that is for another conversation. Good luck to the Rams tonight.

He looked 7 ft tall. Where is he at now?

Last edited:
Ok.....I have been doing projection updates all week, and said it was only a 1/4 or 1/3 in chance that Shelby goes small, but with Anson out, Walkertown out, West Stanly out.....after tonight's results and it appears that 7 or 8 teams are in the running for the last 2 or 3 wild card spots and it will all come down to whatever the computer spits out in rankings......coupled with the fact that Shelby is tied with two others in ADM, including one of those bubble teams....i'm finally going to give in and say it is a 50/50 thing now and really could go either way....I will do a revised projection later and still list them in 2AA, but it's like a contested election that's going to require a recount....it really could come down to drawing out of a hat between Shelby and West Lincoln (and maybe Andrews, who I'm going to list as a wild card) to see which 1 or 2 go small or big

haven't heard for sure yet....but it would be possible for Bartlett-Yancey to be 9-2 and left out of playoffs.............

Keep on trying to rewrite history 96Champ??
They've always been divided in one way or another since 1929. Wilmington New Hanover beat Statesville 14-9 in the last open division playoff and that was in 1928.

Just got to beat the teams they let you play.

They've always been divided in one way or another since 1929. Wilmington New Hanover beat Statesville 14-9 in the last open division playoff and that was in 1928.

Just got to beat the teams they let you play.
Nope...afraid not. NCHSAA and WNCHSAA merged in 77. There were a couple of years of a Div 2 in the 80s but those aren't counted in the championship total. Only one state champion per class from the late 70s to early 00s. The way it should be.

Nope...afraid not. NCHSAA and WNCHSAA merged in 77. There were a couple of years of a Div 2 in the 80s but those aren't counted in the championship total. Only one state champion per class from the late 70s to early 00s. The way it should be.
I'm not talking by class ... I'm talking open division. For example, there are 8 divisions now. In 1928, there was 1.

Think he confused them with Forest Hills as it appears they, along with Anson, were removed from the playoff participation pool.
Actually, the only way West Stanly makes it is if Mount Pleasant jumps from 74 to however high they have to jump to get a wild card....remember that league only gets 1 auto bid, and Anson's forfeiting that bid.....Mt Pleasant beat West Stanly and finishes ahead of them in conference by head to head tie break

Actually, the only way West Stanly makes it is if Mount Pleasant jumps from 74 to however high they have to jump to get a wild card....remember that league only gets 1 auto bid, and Anson's forfeiting that bid.....Mt Pleasant beat West Stanly and finishes ahead of them in conference by head to head tie break
But West Stanley's AMPR would get them in correct? They were 14th last week.

But West Stanley's AMPR would get them in correct? They were 14th last week.
If they finished 3rd, they can't leap frog the team that finished 2nd if the team that finished 2nd (Mt Pleasant) doesn't make the playoffs.....so if I'm right, West Stanly needs either MP's ranking to jump a lot from last week (which could happen, I just don't expect it to) and there be 2 extra spots open at the bottom (if they fight over last spot, MP gets it from head to head)....OR that for some reason I have my auto bid numbers wrong because of that the weirdness in that conference that came with Montgomery Central going 3A left them with only four football playing 2A schools....if it's like any other split conference with just 4 in one class, they only get one auto bid, that's Anson (what I've been trying to say for three days is that the MP/WS leap frog has nothing to do with the Anson fight and whether or not they get in, it's about conference standings finish, had WS beaten MP, then yes they'd be in no doubt as a wild card, but they finished 3rd, in a 1 auto bid league (i think), and the 2nd place team would have to qualify for playoffs before 3rd place team can qualify

If they finished 3rd, they can't leap frog the team that finished 2nd if the team that finished 2nd (Mt Pleasant) doesn't make the playoffs.....so if I'm right, West Stanly needs either MP's ranking to jump a lot from last week (which could happen, I just don't expect it to) and there be 2 extra spots open at the bottom (if they fight over last spot, MP gets it from head to head)....OR that for some reason I have my auto bid numbers wrong because of that the weirdness in that conference that came with Montgomery Central going 3A left them with only four football playing 2A schools....if it's like any other split conference with just 4 in one class, they only get one auto bid, that's Anson (what I've been trying to say for three days is that the MP/WS leap frog has nothing to do with the Anson fight and whether or not they get in, it's about conference standings finish, had WS beaten MP, then yes they'd be in no doubt as a wild card, but they finished 3rd, in a 1 auto bid league (i think), and the 2nd place team would have to qualify for playoffs before 3rd place team can qualify
I got you now. IMO thats a crazy rule but it is what it is.

Tarheel.....it appears that some rulings on tiebreaker Wildcards don’t match your projection.

At least ....on the preliminary. Let’s see how it shakes out.

Ok, one new change that I didn't know about and just found out: The often forgotten football only tiebreak to let one league get 2 teams seeded as conf. champions even applies in 2 way ties where a head to head winner really makes it not a tie, so both West Craven and Washington were seeded in the Tier of 1s

Tarheel.....it appears that some rulings on tiebreaker Wildcards don’t match your projection.

At least ....on the preliminary. Let’s see how it shakes out.
I see that....one tiebreak rule that must have changed is on Washington going as a 1....in the past they would have been with the 2s, not the 1s since it was a 2 way tie.....and Hertford Co. went with 2s instead of wild cards....even though their league only gets auto bids

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT