ADVERTISEMENT

Is Shelby going small 2A?

goldenlions04

Oct 18, 2019
Hearing this from everyone....

If so, I honestly think it's time for us to request to play up. Why keep winning championships playing mediocre teams?

On the bright side, Cleveland County looks to sweep a few classes.... 2a (shelby), 2aa (burns), and 3a (kings mountain)

If so, I honestly think it's time for us to request to play up. Why keep winning championships playing mediocre teams?

On the bright side, Cleveland County looks to sweep a few classes.... 2a (shelby), 2aa (burns), and 3a (kings mountain)
I agree with you, but going down to play Reidsville would be satisfying enough in itself, but big picture wise, I don’t like the possibility of it all. Give Reidsville their due, but all the other western elites are in 2AA. You want your program going through the best competition. It’s makes winning that championship all the more gratifying. In a perfect world, all the Cleveland County schools would be 3A, in my opinion. But, you have demographics and charter schools being factors in that happening.

Reactions: shelbyfan1
Shelby really should be 3a, Reidsville could be 3a or at the very least 2aa. But Shelby and Reidsville face the same issue, I'll leave it at that.

I'm hoping Shelby comes down to 2a, if they don't this year then this might be one of the last chances for another Reidsville vs Shelby matchup. The 2a east is tougher than the 2aa east too.

Reactions: Lion Attack
Shelby really should be 3a, Reidsville could be 3a or at the very least 2aa. But Shelby and Reidsville face the same issue, I'll leave it at that.
Wouldn’t have ever guessed that you were as young as you are, but I’ve obviously followed you guys over the years, and have seen the post from Stan and my guy, Franky, to name a couple, and I noticed that similarity between the two schools. Demographics! But yeah, let’s leave it at that, don’t want the political, redundant ish invading this thread, but there’s no denying that’s been a factor.

Last edited:
I agree with you, but going down to play Reidsville would be satisfying enough in itself, but big picture wise, I don’t like the possibility of it all. Give Reidsville their due, but all the other western elites are in 2AA. You want your program going through the best competition. It’s makes winning that championship all the more gratifying. In a perfect world, all the Cleveland County schools would be 3A, in my opinion. But, you have demographics and charter schools being factors in that happening.

I guess the Reidsville matchup would be satisfying. I want Shelby to be a respected school in North Carolina. The continued domination of the 2A class doesn't allow us to do that.

I think that's why we lost a couple players to Crest this year. The word around town is still to get the D1 looks, you need to go to Crest.

you can request to play up all you want to but NCHSAA is not likely to listen....Reidsville has tried for years (and have been denied) to be put in a 3A conference with schools is our area which we have had ties to athletically in the past.............................

Reactions: tarheel fan1
Wouldn’t have ever guessed that you were as young as you are, but I’ve obviously followed you guys over the years, and have seen the post from Stan and my guy, Franky, to name a couple, and I noticed that similarity between the two schools. Demographics! But yeah, let’s leave it at that, don’t want the political, redundant ish invading this thread, but there’s no denying that’s been a factor.

Stan is black and yellow now I think he said. He's a good dude. Yeah schools are similar. I wish we could play more since our main rival cummings is now no longer elite.

Reactions: blackand yellow
I guess the Reidsville matchup would be satisfying. I want Shelby to be a respected school in North Carolina. The continued domination of the 2A class doesn't allow us to do that.

I think that's why we lost a couple players to Crest this year. The word around town is still to get the D1 looks, you need to go to Crest.
I agree with you, bro, but we have athletes to get D1 attention. Malaki Hamrick, a sophomore, is becoming a hot prospect, bonafied FBS prospect. As for the two departures to Crest, Ruff went there to play quarterback, but ended up playing “athlete” anyway, and that’s been a blessing in disguise for him, it’s paid dividends for him big time. He’s blown up this season. He wouldn’t have done so to that level at Shelby, too many receivers to share the wealth with. Borders, Jayden’s little bro, that was a basketball move. He followed the jv b-ball coach there, that coach became Crest’s varsity coach for a year. Now, he’s back at Shelby. Borders started in the backcourt for Crest’s b-ball team as a sophomore.

Last edited:
Reactions: shutdownD24
Hibriten would have a better shot if Shelby went small and I honestly don't think we could defend there passing attack but I like playing them they are the cream of the crop.
I'm with you Beamer, I don't like Hibriten's chances with Shelby. Could be wrong but I feel Hibriten could play with Burns. I think Hibriten will continue to get better as they grow in new system and they seem to be getting better every week. Still plenty of football left to play so we shall see!

Reactions: BL1
Stan is black and yellow now I think he said. He's a good dude. Yeah schools are similar. I wish we could play more since our main rival cummings is now no longer elite.
Yeah, I knew who B&Y was. Seems to be a good dude, no doubt, authentic.

I'm with you Beamer, I don't like Hibriten's chances with Shelby. Could be wrong but I feel Hibriten could play with Burns. I think Hibriten will continue to get better as they grow in new system and they seem to be getting better every week. Still plenty of football left to play so we shall see!
I think Hibriten will be and should be favored over Burns if we meet, especially if we have to travel. Just my opinion. Their recent history vs. ours obviously favors Hibriten.

Reactions: patsfball
Hibriten is a little down from previous years. Gee was a game changer and all eyes had to be on him
which opened up other things .On the positive... Hibriten is now more balanced, which is a plus and will make them
a little harder to prepare for. Overall depending on brackets I see them as a 2 to 3 game winner in the playoffs

Hibriten would have a better shot if Shelby went small and I honestly don't think we could defend there passing attack but I like playing them they are the cream of the crop.

lol I like these candid opinions

Last edited:
you can request to play up all you want to but NCHSAA is not likely to listen....Reidsville has tried for years (and have been denied) to be put in a 3A conference with schools is our area which we have had ties to athletically in the past.............................
We played up for a number of years but our luck ran out in 1998.That was our first year in 2A. In 1965,the year I graduated, the 3A-4A cut off was 1200 students. Back then the cut off for each division was established before the season. Our student population was 1165.. Almost had to go up to 4a the next year.

Last edited:
All the smack talk with Reidsville posters would have Shelby coming into small 2A like this...

UnfoldedWateryBactrian-size_restricted.gif

Thats Burns and South Point behind them all hyped up thinking they have 2AA to themselves

The rest of 2AA would react like this...
51e.gif

Reidsville figuring out what to do now..
latest

Clinton and Wallace waiting on the other side
avengers-infinity-war-tv-spot-black-order-wakanda-1104839-1280x0.jpeg

All the smack talk with Reidsville posters would have Shelby coming into small 2A like this...

UnfoldedWateryBactrian-size_restricted.gif

Thats Burns and South Point behind them all hyped up they have 2AA to themselves

The rest of 2AA would react like this...
51e.gif

Reidsville figuring out what to do now..
latest

Clinton and Wallace waiting on the other side
avengers-infinity-war-tv-spot-black-order-wakanda-1104839-1280x0.jpeg
That's pretty good rite there.

Reactions: Chopper747
I agree with you, bro, but we have athletes to get D1 attention. Malaki Hamrick, a sophomore, is becoming a hot prospect, bonafied FBS prospect. As for the two departures to Crest, Ruff went there to play quarterback, but ended up playing “athlete” anyway, and that’s been a blessing in disguise for him, it’s paid dividends for him big time. He’s blown up this season. He wouldn’t have done so to that level at Shelby, too many receivers to share the wealth with. Borders, Jayden’s little bro, that was a basketball move. He followed the jv b-ball coach there, that coach became Crest’s varsity coach for a year. Now, he’s back at Shelby. Borders started in the backcourt for Crest’s b-ball team as a sophomore.

Lawrence? Is that the coach you're referring to?

Oh I'm definitely aware that we get D1 attention, I still hear that Crest's program, when they have the talent, gets a little more.

Much respect to Shelby, but going up to 2aa is not going to do a darn thing as far as respect is concerned, and in 2019 colleges find players in all places.

I am taking it some Shelby fans feel that even more of there players should be going D1. Reality is if Shelby was playing 4a continually all season, most of the guys that are 6'2 190 who are dominating the O-line and D-line in 2a would be getting dominated by guys 6-4 200 in 4a who are just considered average.

I understand what Shelby is saying in wanting to play up a classification, but I don't think your going to get the results your looking for.

I am a SWO fan, and for many years while we were 1a, most fans wanted to play the bigger schools in our area so we could get respect and more attention from college coaches. Now we do play allot of the bigger schools in our area. We win some and lose some, but we still put about the same amount of guys in D1, and we get no more attention than we always did playing just the schools out size. If anything we just picked up one or two more loses a year.

Shelby is great, your never going to get the attention the 4a schools get, because there bigger schools and more alums.

Much respect to Shelby, but going up to 2aa is not going to do a darn thing as far as respect is concerned, and in 2019 colleges find players in all places.

I am taking it some Shelby fans feel that even more of there players should be going D1. Reality is if Shelby was playing 4a continually all season, most of the guys that are 6'2 190 who are dominating the O-line and D-line in 2a would be getting dominated by guys 6-4 200 in 4a who are just considered average.

I understand what Shelby is saying in wanting to play up a classification, but I don't think your going to get the results your looking for.

I am a SWO fan, and for many years while we were 1a, most fans wanted to play the bigger schools in our area so we could get respect and more attention from college coaches. Now we do play allot of the bigger schools in our area. We win some and lose some, but we still put about the same amount of guys in D1, and we get no more attention than we always did playing just the schools out size. If anything we just picked up one or two more loses a year.

Shelby is great, your never going to get the attention the 4a schools get, because there bigger schools and more alums.

Playing up would be 3a at the minimum. Shelby going up to 2aa does nothing, I agree.

In regards to the D1 looks, I only stated Crest (who has played 3a and 4a ball consistently), seems to get more college looks. You can't deny higher classifications get more looks, the assumption being the competition is better.

Reactions: superstar57
I, for one, would be very happy if Shelby goes small 2A and a Shelby/Reidsville matchup comes to pass.

In fact, I would love to drive down to Shelby for such a game. I have been there for baseball games but not football.

Regardless of who would win, it would be a great thing for football in North Carolina for two of the very best programs in the state to meet and settle all bragging rights for a while.

Reactions: SHS LION and dogs79
Playing up would be 3a at the minimum. Shelby going up to 2aa does nothing, I agree.

In regards to the D1 looks, I only stated Crest (who has played 3a and 4a ball consistently), seems to get more college looks. You can't deny higher classifications get more looks, the assumption being the competition is better.
Crest players have also had the prototypical size. Look at Justin Foster, now starting at DE for Clemson, he’s been a monster, physically, all of his life. Just like most 2A schools, Shelby players don’t typically have the ideal size, the few that we have had were fortunate enough to get D1 attention.

Reactions: blkgolddynasty
I, for one, would be very happy if Shelby goes small 2A and a Shelby/Reidsville matchup comes to pass.

In fact, I would love to drive down to Shelby for such a game. I have been there for baseball games but not football.

Regardless of who would win, it would be a great thing for football in North Carolina for two of the very best programs in the state to meet and settle all bragging rights for a while.

Edited to note: It makes no difference what classification a player plays in, the college recruiters will find them if they can play and aren't too short or too slow. What really helps is the player must go to summer camps and combines to show what skills he possesses.

The Mule, I retire at the end of the year. I look forward to being able to go to games, especially that are some distance away.
I hope our team improves and makes it back into the playoffs soon, but if not, and I want to see a game in the triad, mountains or even down east, I'll go.
Some years back, Reidsville or a team in that area was playing down east and I'm thinking it was you, who told another poster that you were leaving early so you could go by Wilbur's barbecue (I believe it's near Goldsboro). I thought to myself, it must be nice to do that and not have to be concerned about being at work at 5 A.M.
So,Next season, I'll be ready to travel...Good luck to your Rams.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrepFanNC
Crest players have also had the prototypical size. Look at Justin Foster, now starting at DE for Clemson, he’s been a monster, physically, all of his life. Just like most 2A schools, Shelby players don’t typically have the ideal size, the few that we have had were fortunate enough to get D1 attention.

Good point.

Edited to note: It makes no difference what classification a player plays in, the college recruiters will find them if they can play and aren't too short or too slow. What really helps is the player must go to summer camps and combines to show what skills he possesses.

Good stuff.

Reactions: dogs79
I think Hibriten will be and should be favored over Burns if we meet, especially if we have to travel. Just my opinion. Their recent history vs. ours obviously favors Hibriten.

HIBRITEN is young, and you can tell by watching, they havent gotten it all together at times this year.. I have watched burns a couple times this year and they are a very good team.. I would see this as a very close game between two schools evenly matched. I really cant see how burns would ever have to travel to hibriten. This one should be a home game for burns

If Shelby goes small as of right now North Lincoln would be the 1 seed and Hibriten the 2 seed not sure of conference winners after that.

The Mule, I retire at the end of the year. I look forward to being able to go to games, especially that are some distance away.
I hope our team improves and makes it back into the playoffs soon, but if not, and I want to see a game in the triad, mountains or even down east, I'll go.
Some years back, Reidsville or a team in that area was playing down east and I'm thinking it was you, who told another poster that you were leaving early so you could go by Wilbur's barbecue (I believe it's near Goldsboro). I thought to myself, it must be nice to do that and not have to be concerned about being at work at 5 A.M.
So,Next season, I'll be ready to travel...Go luck to your Rams.

That was me. I think I was with my wife and others. I usually take the wife on very long trips and we stay overnight. If I had to be at work even at 8 or 9 am I just couldn't make those long road trips.

If Reidsville plays at Mt. Heritage (Burnsville) we will most definitely stay overnight.

Back in 1970(?) Reidsville played Brevard up there and I went with some other guys and we drove back. Got home after 2 am and it pretty much wiped me out even though I was a relatively young dude then.:D

That was me. I think I was with my wife and others. I usually take the wife on very long trips and we stay overnight. If I had to be at work even at 8 or 9 am I just couldn't make those long road trips.

If Reidsville plays at Mt. Heritage (Burnsville) we will most definitely stay overnight.

Back in 1970(?) Reidsville played Brevard up there and I went with some other guys and we drove back. Got home after 2 am and it pretty much wiped me out even though I was a relatively young dude then.:D

Shoot I may even stay the night if we play at heritage. Its been about 8 years since we had a long playoff road game. (The dreaded Kinston game).

1A East Surry has five D1 players ... so obviously going to a big school isn’t required for D1 looks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT