ADVERTISEMENT

Is Shelby going small 2A?

Move up, and the first time they don't win the championship, they'll be complaining about it not being fair that they have to play up.

Move up, and the first time they don't win the championship, they'll be complaining about it not being fair that they have to play up.

They weren't winning championships in 3A like they were in 2A anyway, that would be a foolish complaint. 2A has been way too easy.

In all honesty if rams play the lions, it's great for HS football but not for the rams as a team since I believe the Lions would and should be heavy favorites. Would be huge upset if Rams came away with a win home or away. But I would like to make that travel if it were to happen

Goldenlion04. Only way they getting more looks at D1. Is maybe they payed somebody off...
Coach Norman told me once. If uour good they find you....NO Matter where your at......
This is true if you market yourself and get the exposure at the camps and combines. If you just sit around and wait for them to come to you it will never happen. Have to reach out with film and if the school(s) are interested they will send you and interest letter first. Then they will contact the head coach and the guidance counselors to see what transcripts look like. If transcripts are bad or questionable they will not reach out. Then you must register with the clearing house and then have a qualifying SAT or ACT score. Then the process can start. Of coarse you need to start doing this by sophomore year. If you don't start till your senior year it is usually to late, not always. But, most of the time it is.

No Shelby is #1 in max preps adjusted rankings so wherever they go they will be the 1 seed unless they drastically change the next 2 games.
Shelby may not be a number 1 seed due to not having played and endowment game. They will go in at 9-1 since they can't drop an out of conference game. This could hurt our seeding and make us have to travel to say Reidsville. Which that is a long way filled with darkness and port a johns:(.

I dont think it works like that now though. Last year I saw 2 loss teams have home field vs undefeated because of max prep's. But let's be realistic. As a ram fan being honest, Shelby strength which is passing is by far reidsville weakness. Hard to believe we would get many stops. Run teams dont stand much of a chance with us. But pass teams could have huge success as we saw vs East Surry. We would have better chance next couple years IMO. With coach Teague though anything is possible.

Reactions: beamer24
Is Shelby goes small 2A... Cleveland County Football could get very interesting in late November & December

Haven’t read a post on this thread, but I am quite certain the mayor of Reidsville and the mayor of Shelby will figure it out. Oh yes, the council too.

Shelby may not be a number 1 seed due to not having played and endowment game. They will go in at 9-1 since they can't drop an out of conference game. This could hurt our seeding and make us have to travel to say Reidsville. Which that is a long way filled with darkness and port a johns:(.
Thought about this, too. Having two bye weeks was just ridiculous, period. Inexcusable!

Last edited:
I'm assuming this thread was started because someone may have seen Shelby high school report a lower ADM to DPI but if I'm not mistaken Cleveland county has a early college that doesn't have sports so reading this paragraph from an article about the playoff process and a section from the NCHSAA eligibility rules, I wonder if thier ADM and others on the bubble may go up.

The NCHSAA will receive average daily membership numbers (ADMs) from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Once these numbers are received, the NCHSAA will make some adjustments to account for early colleges, academies and other special circumstances.

NCHSAA eligibility rules:
"If there early college or middle college students that would be assigned to a school, but go to those schools that have no athletic program; their numbers should be included with the school's numbers since they can be eligible to participate at the base school; those situations should be identified on the Declaration."

I'm assuming this thread was started because someone may have seen Shelby high school report a lower ADM to DPI but if I'm not mistaken Cleveland county has a early college that doesn't have sports so reading this paragraph from an article about the playoff process and a section from the NCHSAA eligibility rules, I wonder if thier ADM and others on the bubble may go up.

The NCHSAA will receive average daily membership numbers (ADMs) from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Once these numbers are received, the NCHSAA will make some adjustments to account for early colleges, academies and other special circumstances.

NCHSAA eligibility rules:
"If there early college or middle college students that would be assigned to a school, but go to those schools that have no athletic program; their numbers should be included with the school's numbers since they can be eligible to participate at the base school; those situations should be identified on the Declaration."
Unless the Cleveland County district rules changed this year, early college students weren't allowed to play sports. Not sure if the state's inclusion for homeschool to play sports overrode district policy for the early college to allow them to play or not.

Reactions: Bulldog_012
Unless the Cleveland County district rules changed this year, early college students weren't allowed to play sports. Not sure if the state's inclusion for homeschool to play sports overrode district policy for the early college to allow them to play or not.

Well that's like Avery, Mitchell and Yancey county share a early college Maryland Early College and reading this rule I thought that the NCHSAA would add students from this EC to the county they live in , but several people have told me that they won't because the students at the EC aren't eligible to play.
But my question is does the counties turn in some form to the NCHSAA stating that these students are ineligible so they won't count them so this rule won't apply to them?

Well that's like Avery, Mitchell and Yancey county share a early college Maryland Early College and reading this rule I thought that the NCHSAA would add students from this EC to the county they live in , but several people have told me that they won't because the students at the EC aren't eligible to play.
But my question is does the counties turn in some form to the NCHSAA stating that these students are ineligible so they won't count them so this rule won't apply to them?

To my best understanding Cleveland Early college students are not eligible to participate in any high school affiliated sport, period. Their numbers aren’t supposed to go against the 4 county schools for their ADM.

Agreed. I expect Pinnacle to Start up a football program in the future

I think that’s their plan...but I just don’t see it ever panning out to be honest. You’re talking about starting up a NEW school affiliated football program in Cleveland county. There is some pretty good football in this county and I just don’t ever see it happening to an extent where it’ll hurt the athletics at the other county schools. We will just see it hurt the ADM numbers more and more.

I think that’s their plan...but I just don’t see it ever panning out to be honest. You’re talking about starting up a NEW school affiliated football program in Cleveland county. There is some pretty good football in this county and I just don’t ever see it happening to an extent where it’ll hurt the athletics at the other county schools. We will just see it hurt the ADM numbers more and more.
That’s what was said about TJ and they are having a heck of a season 9-0

Hearing this from everyone....

If so, I honestly think it's time for us to request to play up. Why keep winning championships playing mediocre teams?

On the bright side, Cleveland County looks to sweep a few classes.... 2a (shelby), 2aa (burns), and 3a (kings mountain)

Kings mountain isn’t beating anyone that comes out the east Lmaoo

They do not have a football field. Someone thought the same thing last year and I had to correct them. Pinnacle is no threat to county football.

I just looked at google maps and it doesn’t appear that they have any kind of formal playing field of any kind. They do have an elementary playground with some slides and a swing set.

I just looked at google maps and it doesn’t appear that they have any kind of formal playing field of any kind. They do have an elementary playground with some slides and a swing set.
They actually do have a huge playing field. It's for soccer right behind the gym. When and if they add football, the field for that will be down the hill from the soccer field. It will be beside where they 'plan' on putting a softball field that will sit right beside the already completed baseball field.

They actually do have a huge playing field. It's for soccer right behind the gym. When and if they add football, the field for that will be down the hill from the soccer field. It will be beside where they 'plan' on putting a softball field that will sit right beside the already completed baseball field.
They got lights and a field! The rest is easy will only have about 300 fans or so

I think I see it now... Not the campus on S. Post Rd... Rather what appears to be a new campus on Joes Lake Rd.

I think I see it now... Not the campus on S. Post Rd... Rather what appears to be a new campus on Joes Lake Rd.

The Joes Lake Road campus houses 3rd through 12th grades and has just been built. They graduate their first class this year. That’s likely where you saw it. The South Post Road campus has K-2.

I wonder when/if they are going to apply to join the NCHSAA? Right now they would go in the Southern Piedmont 1A.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
The Joes Lake Road campus houses 3rd through 12th grades and has just been built. They graduate their first class this year. That’s likely where you saw it. The South Post Road campus has K-2.

I wonder when/if they are going to apply to join the NCHSAA? Right now they would go in the Southern Piedmont 1A.
The plan was to enter that conference this school year. Those plans changed and they are still playing sports in an independent league. Sports is NOT in the schools budget. Some of the athletes, male and female have went other directions because of this.

Reactions: burnsbulldogtweeter
They weren't winning championships in 3A like they were in 2A anyway, that would be a foolish complaint. 2A has been way too easy.

There were no split classifications then. We play and beat 3A teams now that go deep into the playoffs...Reynolds was just in the championship recently. Split classifications has made it watered down and easier for every class. Would Reidsville have won their most recent titles if all of 2A was combined and they were having to play the Hibritens, South Points and Shelbys of the big 2AA? Would Catholic if all of 3A was combined? I hate split classifications but obviously it has doubled the number of state champions each year since its onset.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT