ADVERTISEMENT

Is Lance Ware leaving Shelby?

Damn right I will.

Oh let me add some real substance to this.
If the current coach for a team in Gaston County applies for the Shelby job, hire him. He sent a ton of kids to college this year and they play for him.

Reactions: Lion Attack
Best of luck to Coach Ware. Can't really blame him for taking this once in a lifetime opportunity. May sting a little bit right now but Shelby football will be just fine. Looking forward to another matchup between my wolves and the golden lions down the road.

Reactions: Lion Attack
Beat of luck Coach Ware, you kept the winning tradition alive, and won 5 out of the last 6 titles...

Not a doubt this will be one of the most highly sought after jobs around.... 9 coaches in 96 years... wow...

good luck Lance.... Someone is inheriting a juggernaut, that will be a force again next season...
I may apply for this. My status amongst the Lion faithful is that of Stallone in Philly. My reputation on here of being a badass would fit in well with a program that is as well. The fact that I coach alone may be a deal breaker.

Hate to see him go; hands down one of the classiest coaches i've met in my 8 years. He kept in touch with us all week, made us felt welcome and gave us food on the way home, talked to our kids who were sad.. you don't see that stuff hardly at all anymore. It's a lost artform. If I ever HC I'd love to do that.

If anyone legitly deserves a college shot it's him and I hope he gets a head job some day; another reason to pull for App.

The formula for success at Shelby has always seemed to be next man up. Whether that be with the players or the coaches. I am gonna guess Mr. Ware has known this was gonna be the endgame at some juncture and has worked pretty hard to develop a succession plan to set the program up for success. That's what leaders do. Leave it better than you found it. Hope it works out for him the Shelby program and its fans. Some of the best anywhere.

Playoff record of 33 and 3 some's up Coach Ware's reign at Shelby High.Just incredible.Coach Ware may God be with you and your family in your new journey in life.Go App,except September 21 against the Tar Heels. Now who ever is given the reigns to this wonderful program we wish nothing but the best but it will be some tough shoe's to fill. Go Lions.

Coach Ware has bigger and better things in sight, this is a step in the direction of what am sure his goal is being a head coach for a big time college.

Coach Ware is a class act I wish him the best.

I feel like Shelby will hire from within the program, this will be a huge hole to fill although at the level Shelby is at I think I would look outside to make for sure the right man is hired.

Shelby did a great job with the last two hires after great coaches retired so I don't see this time being any different.

Coach Ware has bigger and better things in sight, this is a step in the direction of what am sure his goal is being a head coach for a big time college.

Coach Ware is a class act I wish him the best.

I feel like Shelby will hire from within the program, this will be a huge hole to fill although at the level Shelby is at I think I would look outside to make for sure the right man is hired.

Shelby did a great job with the last two hires after great coaches retired so I don't see this time being any different.

Not so sure about that. Gonna guess he is in his 40s. Little late to be climbing the college coaching tree ladder. So many variables on that...

Not so sure about that. Gonna guess he is in his 40s. Little late to be climbing the college coaching tree ladder. So many variables on that...

At a place like App State and the way the revolving coaching door is in this day and age you never know. The new head coach at App could have 2 good seasons and get scooped up by a power 5 school looking for new next big surprise and he could step in and be right in line.

Is this likely? Maybe not but the chances are much better from and assistant spot at a D-1 college than it is from a head coaching spot in high school.

Plus I am sure this is a huge pay rise and with him having a kid or kids that are not to far from starting to look for a college education there is surly some benefits money wise to a being an employee at the school for his kids with paying for it.

Reactions: Crestuff
Gus Malzahn did it.

Took about 7 years and I believe there were 4 maybe 5 moves involved. Not saying it couldn't happen but it is an awful big commitment and it usually involves guys in there 20s and 30s. It also involves a ton of luck and great timing. Boone is a very nice place to live, moving to a place like Fayetville ,AK is what one might call a " life style" change. I wish him luck whatever he chooses.

Gus Malzahn did it.

Gus Malzahn was 39 years old when he left Springdale HS for the University of Arkansas. He had built the program at Shiloh Christian putting up huge numbers with his (then) inovative offensive play before getting the Springdale job. His last year they won the state title and beat two elite out of state teams. A big reason he got the job he did was because he had the top high school qb in America and one of the best skill players along with two other very good players and another elite national recruit. All five were looking to leave the state and one did, going to Notre Dame. Malzahn was able to get the OC job which he was not ready for at that level and most expect it was because four of the players went with him to Arkansas. They all transferred when he went to Tulsa.

Lance is 45 or 46. His new job is not a position coach which will be the next step. He has a long road to be a college head coach. Wishing him the best, regardless. As many of us have said and he is a class act!

Last edited:
If Lance isn’t going to be a position coach, what will he do? Administrative position? Eligibility?

Gus Malzahn was 39 years old when he left Springdale HS for the University of Arkansas. He had built the program at Shiloh Christian putting up huge numbers with his (then) inovative offensive play before getting the Springdale job. His last year they won the state title and beat two elite out of state teams. A big reason he got the job he did was because he had the top high school qb in America and one of the best skill players along with two other very good players and another elite national recruit. All five were looking to leave the state and did going to Notre Dame. Malzahn was able to get the OC job which he was not ready for at that level and most expect it was because four of the players went with him to Arkansas. They all transferred when he went to Tulsa.

Lance is 45 or 46. His new job is not a position coach which will be the next step. He has a long road to be a college head coach. Wishing him the best, regardless. As many of us have said and he is a class act!

Did Mustain ever play in NFL?

Did Mustain ever play in NFL?

No.

Was replaced at Arkansas by a sophomore. Started one game, I think, at USC due to Matt Barkley injury.

Friend saw him playing minor league baseball for the Kannapolis Intimidators. Damien Williams, his high school and college teammate, was an NFLer.

Reactions: Shelltown2002
If Lance isn’t going to be a position coach, what will he do? Administrative position? Eligibility?

Title is senior assistant to the HC. Not sure if he is allowed to recruit off campus, be involved with directly with players at practice, or his actual job responsibilities.

No.

Was replaced at Arkansas by a sophomore. Started one game, I think, at USC due to Matt Barkley injury.

Friend saw him playing minor league baseball for the Kannapolis Intimidators. Damien Williams, his high school and college teammate, was an NFLer.

Thats right- He was a very good baseball player

Did Lance Ware really leave one of the top high school football jobs to do social media for Appalachian State? All i have seen so far is him Tweeting.

Did Lance Ware really leave one of the top high school football jobs to do social media for Appalachian State? All i have seen so far is him Tweeting.

What are you supposed to SEE from your computer screen in winter/spring season?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT