ADVERTISEMENT

Best all time HC in North Carolina?

Knott's was ahead of his time. He was doing the NIL thing in the 90's
I don't really think he was doing that. He was moving schools based on the Charlotte bussing maps. He knew where the good kids were. And he knew where they were getting bussed. It's no coincidence that he left when they started doing school choice. Have a brain. He wasn't giving anybody money. But he sure was moving to the school that was busing the best kids to his school.

I don't really think he was doing that. He was moving schools based on the Charlotte bussing maps. He knew where the good kids were. And he knew where they were getting bussed. It's no coincidence that he left when they started doing school choice. Have a brain. He wasn't giving anybody money. But he sure was moving to the school that was busing the best kids to his school.
Knotts left Harding and West Charlotte for both the same reason. It wasn't busing. Lol

When he returned in 2005 everyone expected he would be out of the NC public school system for the 2010 season. He was most interested in the East Meck or South Meck job prior to taking Indy position. By the time he arrived at Indy busing was over due to the Capacchione federal lawsuit. School "choice" (CMS version was Student Assignment Plan) was not available at Indy. The Mint Hill / Albemarle Road corrider was loaded with talent at that time and the Indy district went way up toward UNCC. I saw some unreal talent in the Mint Hill unlimited weight youth league. From the 2004 to about the 2009 football season seniors over half a dozen NFL season roster players.

The students bused into West Charlotte were white, upper middle class from Myers Park and Providence HS. They did not haver a lot of footballers from that group. Did have a magnet program but it was very demanding and if the student left the magnet he was required to return to his high school which is why they had forfeits.

Reactions: UNC811
Knotts left Harding and West Charlotte for both the same reason. It wasn't busing. Lol
Knotts said out of his own mouth, on video, that he went to Independence for one reason, to coach Chris Leak. And one more time, for the record, Chris Leak and his family lived in a single family house right across Wilson Grove Road from Independence property. He could literaly throw a football from school property across the road and into his back yard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Knotts said out of his own mouth, on video, that he went to Independence for one reason, to coach Chris Leak. And one more time, for the record, Chris Leak and his family lived in a single family house right across Wilson Grove Road from Independence property. He could litterly throw a football from school property across the road and into his back yard.
The principal at WC was the same one that was at Harding when Knotts left. They had differing views at the time.

Knotts had two schools he was looking at, East Meck and South Meck. East was his preferred choice, South was closer to his house. His friend, Scott Stein, applied at East. He had seen Chris Leak, knew CJ and the father. Realized Leak was unique and very special. 2000 state champion had four senior starters, all but one were in the program the prior season.

It sure was. He might have pissed some people off but if you want to go back and look at when the busing routes changed those are the years they changed. I believe he also wants state championships of both of them didn't he. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying that's what he did.

It sure was. He might have pissed some people off but if you want to go back and look at when the busing routes changed those are the years they changed. I believe he also wants state championships of both of them didn't he. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying that's what he did.
Not sure how the end of busing prior to 1999 caused change at other schools but WC benefitted very little in football and would have not seen a noticeable change.

Maybe not at independence You're probably right he had an unreal amount of talent. What time did Butler get built. He's obviously a very good coach because when you see Dutch fork you wonder how they win those games. But they do. He's a hard nose genius

Not sure how the end of busing prior to 1999 caused change at other schools but WC benefitted very little in football and would have not seen a noticeable change.
That would be wrong It ended in 2001 which was the last year they did it but it was for the whole school year

Venton Bell. He would have left Harding though anyway because of the change to a magnet school. Really believe he'd still be at West Charlotte or stayed much longer had Venton Bell not come to WC and ask him to teach. Remember that distinctly. Leak was planning to come to WC and rumor was Paul Troth was coming too. Bell and Knotts were oil and vinegar to each other.

Funny thing is Dr. Bell is to academics what Coach Knotts is to football. Both 110% dedicated to their crafts and excellent at it.

You are partially correct and Btango is 100% correct. West Charlotte lost the forced busing of "white suburban" students to WC. This affected the school as a whole and academically. When WC was at its best and tops in the state it was about 35% affluent white, 50% affluent/middle class blacks, and 15% neighborhood. After the busing ruling whites now had a choice to attend WC and most elected to go to their home schools and now WC became a home school. The busing routes remained the same as WC was an open school, but the families had a choice to go to their home school which was much closer and not ride the bus.

Btango is correct. Busing had little effect on WC football. If Knotts had stayed they may have gone on the Indy/DF type of run as Knotts coaching style changed dramatically at Indy. The opening of Butler/Vance had some effect on the talent but not much. Busing hurt the school academics which trickled down into sports and other areas over time. WC school assignment zone finished them off.

That would be wrong It ended in 2001 which was the last year they did it but it was for the whole school year
You are correct. The case was decided in 1999 before CMS lost their appeal.

Once again, from being around the two programs and being in the Indy area from 1993 on I do not think busing was a factor for either program. I knew the players as they came up and the areas most remained Indy areas although the district decreased in size as the housing increased with the opening of 485 down the east to NE Meck corridor opening up Independence Blvd and north to the loop. I just do not see how busing played a factor for either school. I can assure you that Knotts left WC due more to differences with the principal and changes that were going to be implemented. The son of that principal was a former D1 college football player and a Knotts friend and assistant. Great guy!!! Busing does not make much sense for those two schools.

Indy and WC each had an IB Magnet program and those are very rigid academically. WC was loaded with elite academics during Knotts' tenure there. Almost every year they had a Morehead Scholar and they came from that program. Friends with some of them. Know of two starters at Indy during the streak that were in the IB program. One got to Indy from East Meck via IB, not sure if the other was in the district or not. That program ended at Indy witih the end of the 2001-2002 school year.

When Knotts returned in 2005 from Duke he was headed to Vance (now Chambers) before going back to Indy.

Enjoy the conversing and trip down memory lane although my memory continues to fade...

Maybe not at independence You're probably right he had an unreal amount of talent. What time did Butler get built. He's obviously a very good coach because when you see Dutch fork you wonder how they win those games. But they do. He's a hard nose genius
Butler opened in 1997. I don't know if Butler played varsity football in their first, or even their second year. I do know several pretty good football players moved from Independence to Butler when Butler opened. I don't know if the players who moved from Independence to Butler had the right/option to stay and be grandfathered at Independence, and voluntarily choose to move on to Butler.

You are correct. The case was decided in 1999 before CMS lost their appeal.

Once again, from being around the two programs and being in the Indy area from 1993 on I do not think busing was a factor for either program. I knew the players as they came up and the areas most remained Indy areas although the district decreased in size as the housing increased with the opening of 485 down the east to NE Meck corridor opening up Independence Blvd and north to the loop. I just do not see how busing played a factor for either school. I can assure you that Knotts left WC due more to differences with the principal and changes that were going to be implemented. The son of that principal was a former D1 college football player and a Knotts friend and assistant. Great guy!!! Busing does not make much sense for those two schools.

Indy and WC each had an IB Magnet program and those are very rigid academically. WC was loaded with elite academics during Knotts' tenure there. Almost every year they had a Morehead Scholar and they came from that program. Friends with some of them. Know of two starters at Indy during the streak that were in the IB program. One got to Indy from East Meck via IB, not sure if the other was in the district or not. That program ended at Indy witih the end of the 2001-2002 school year.

When Knotts returned in 2005 from Duke he was headed to Vance (now Chambers) before going back to Indy.

Enjoy the conversing and trip down memory lane although my memory continues to fade...

Im just hear to say CJ was better than Chris LOL

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Im just hear to say CJ was better than Chris LOL
That's not a bad take at all. CJ Shouldn't have gone to Wake Forest. He was much bigger than Chris and better arm IMHO. Chris was a more cerebral Qb though. Success wise its not comparable Chris did very well in the SEC whereas CJ Struggled at TN. CJ should have gone to UNC or ND.

Reactions: Straight Scope
That's not a bad take at all. CJ Shouldn't have gone to Wake Forest. He was much bigger than Chris and better arm IMHO. Chris was a more cerebral Qb though. Success wise its not comparable Chris did very well in the SEC whereas CJ Struggled at TN. CJ should have gone to UNC or ND.
Chris had a phenomenal touch and spin. CJ had a big arm with size. Combine them into one and you may have one of the most elite to do it in college.

We did not mean to wait until the eve of the season, but we still need to submit on this topic. While it is evident that Tommy Knotts was and still is a remarkable head coach, his contributions actually cover a brief period of time and touched only a few schools and a relatively small group of student athletes.
Good for him, and good for all those that have benefitted from his success.
Vote him the best if you like.

But what if we documented a single NC public high school football program that has produced 5 consecutive head coaches, each with multiple State Championships (18 overall, 7 additional appearances), that spans the past 7 consecutive decades and the last 70 squads.

Someone may better Knotts’ success.
But Shelby’s run will never be matched.

• Haha
Reactions: beamer24
Knotts then Poss, mainly because they turned every program they went to into power houses/title holders.

Not taking anything away from coaches that were successful at one location, but it says alot when you can go anywhere and win titles.

We did not mean to wait until the eve of the season, but we still need to submit on this topic. While it is evident that Tommy Knotts was and still is a remarkable head coach, his contributions actually cover a brief period of time and touched only a few schools and a relatively small group of student athletes.
Good for him, and good for all those that have benefitted from his success.
Vote him the best if you like.

But what if we documented a single NC public high school football program that has produced 5 consecutive head coaches, each with multiple State Championships (18 overall, 7 additional appearances), that spans the past 7 consecutive decades and the last 70 squads.

Someone may better Knotts’ success.
But Shelby’s run will never be matched.
One guy 15 State Championship at more than one 4A school. was not a few students. 😂 No comparison. Tommy is one of the Greatest High School coaches on a National Level, not just the Carolina's. Nobody is hiring any Coach from Shelby over Knotts, EVER!

Last edited:
One guy 15 State Championship at more than one 4A school. was not a few students. 😂 No comparison. Tommy is one of the Greatest High School coaches on a National Level, not just the Carolina's. Nobody is hiring any Coach from Shelby over Knotts, EVER!

Ha ha.
We are so in your head, nepsy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT