ADVERTISEMENT

If you were the coach

Thunder_struck8712

Oct 5, 2016
If you were hired as a high school football coach what offense and defense would you run? Assume that you have the perfect situation.

Offense-I like the triple option out of the shotgun and the I. Maybe throw in a wing formation or 2. Short pass plays with some screens and some option passes.

Defense-Love a 3-4 with a bull at nose.

I'd run a wing t ( I know shocker lol) but have a slip screen passing game incase our rushing attack got shut down by a team. Defense I'd run a 3-3-5. And teach our defensive backs how to play man to man coverage. I'd run a 4-3 if we played a run heavy team though

Last edited:
My offense would be a double wing (ish) … just think South point’s “red bone”. That’s my absolute favorite team to watch play .. they run it to perfection. The offensive line is absolutely beautiful!!!! Many todays think that it’s outdated and boring but it’s not to me and when ran correctly it’s a real PITA to stop !!!

Unfortunately there is a big push against triple option and wing style offenses claiming that it doesn't prepare kids for high school. Alot of your "for profit" travel programs popping upare pushing that narrative and I know it's being pushed in metro areas and by these charter and private schools.

Some schools just don't have the personal to run college and pro type offenses

Reactions: Eaglemeister
It would depend on the athletes. You can't consider air raid without a qb, a few receivers, protection and besides...if everyone is running it, defenses get used to seeing it. The double wing is interesting. It could be partly run and shoot or spread passing concepts with the triple option.

Defenses were 4-3 forever in high school. Now to cover the spread we see a lot of 3-5 concepts.

It's really dependent on the talent you have. I've seen coaches be stubborn to a certain system and it can bring a program's momentum to a halt, but then when your run too many offensive setups at one time it can confuse the kids too and it makes them not wanna try hard. It just depends but..

I prefer balance on my offense, that's the main description word of it, and I'd have a solid audible lineup depending on the defense and how they lineup. But my base offense would be 50/50 between run and pass with run my main focus preferably. I'd be out of single back sets, and the I, with some shotgun sets when I'm feeling snazzy. If I have more than 2-3 backs I'd consider wishbone here and there. I would run quite a bit of option if I have a QB who isn't a butterfinger lover or slow. He's gotta have the instincts first. If he can chunk it I'd let him pass as long as he has the guys around him. I have seen slow teams run the shotgun well; they just gotta be gritty and fight for the ball.

No matter what you have to run the ball to be a true working offense; when you can't you are screwed. So that's always my main focus in some form.

D wise.. I like to be able to blitz it besides that I'll let the DC have carte blanche over what he wants to run by who the team has to play.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT