ADVERTISEMENT

How to keep coaches

Capcity49

Dec 3, 2020
Ok, I've noticed others blasting people for posting jobs from other states and I've seen people just in general talking about how coaches have it better in other states. I'm just curious what yall think it will take to make coaching jobs more competitive with the other states? I know first thing thrown out will be pay so throw out some numbers? Other than pay what can be done? What has to be done to make these things happen?

• Haha
Reactions: PagePirates44
Ok well let's use South Carolina and Virginia as a baseline since they are the two states that has the longest boarder with NC. I am not sure what they do in VA but the pay is a heck of a lot better. So you have to compare apples to apples. In Chesapeake VA VA beach which is similar to Raleigh NC. A teacher makes this
file:///H:/23-24_Proposed-Teacher-Scale%20(1).pdf A coach makes this file:///H:/2022-23-Pay-and-Classification%20(1).pdf. So at 20 yrs a head coach makes over 75K. The cost of living between the two cities are almost the same so in VA you would make about $6K more and work fewer days. Now if you look at say Columbia SC and compare what they get paid and what the duties are with NC it's night and day

Reactions: Capcity49
Ok, I've noticed others blasting people for posting jobs from other states and I've seen people just in general talking about how coaches have it better in other states. I'm just curious what yall think it will take to make coaching jobs more competitive with the other states? I know first thing thrown out will be pay so throw out some numbers? Other than pay what can be done? What has to be done to make these things happen?
I think one thing that would help most schools is a strong booster club. I say most, not all because you do have to have the right leadership with a vision the whole athletic department and school administrators agree on. Ill use Kings Mountain as an example. Years ago they had a plan that was basically if you build it,they will come. Checkout their facilities and what the booster program has provided. Not 100% sure, but would bet that the booster program also have stipends setup for coaches also.

When one of the most prolific high school coaches in America moved from NC to SC I asked him after being there about six months what it was like. "I died and went to high school football heaven." It was more than the money for him, the autonomy, the emphasis on football, less state and admin oversight. Being the AD made it much more streamlined as did having an assistant football coach as the assistant AD and a full time athetic department secretary, Increasing the salary $30k a year (plus the NC retirement) was great but the other things were a huge part of it for him. Jump forward 14 years and the facilities are beyond comparison to anything in NC regarding medical/fitness and meeting rooms. The comparison to his three jobs in NC to that is indescribable as he had been at schools that did not have the best financial support but they do not draw the huge crowds in some other areas but the corportate and system support are big.

So many things could change.
Increase in Salaries in general would help.
Increase Stipends and an increase in the amount of stipends.
More buy in by the district. It is very hit or miss in NC and it isn't haves vs the have nots. Some of the larger districts seem to be the worst at supporting athletics as a whole.
Athletics and the arts get and keep kids in school and neither seem to get much support in NC as a whole.

Coaching stipend increase is a start. I have a buddy who coaches high school baseball nearby, he told what his stipend is and it is essentially wage theft. It's embarrassing for the amount of time coaches put into their programs.

North Carolina is cheap. They expect coaches to drive busses to games wash uniforms line fields all for free. But the reason I will eventually leave is to get more $$$$. But look coaching is the least of our worries Before too long you are not going to have teachers. I remember going to to summer clinic and resumes would be posted for coaching jobs now good luck finding coaches or teachers

Last edited:
Reactions: ncjeff
North Carolina is cheap. They expect coaches to drive busses to games wash uniforms line fields all for free. But the reason I will eventually leave is to get more $$$$. But look coaching is the least of our worries Before too long you are not going to have teachers. I remember going to to summer clinic and resumes would be posted for coaching jobs now good luck finding coaches.
Spoke with two young ladies two weeks ago at the gym. One just finished her first year teaching elementary school. The other just completed year two in a K-8. Neither is returning to the classroom. One went into the business world working for a company. The other is taking the summer off and looking at applying for a different degree program, most likely RN.

Reactions: ncjeff and sammyk
Spoke with two young ladies two weeks ago at the gym. One just finished her first year teaching elementary school. The other just completed year two in a K-8. Neither is returning to the classroom. One went into the business world working for a company. The other is taking the summer off and looking at applying for a different degree program, most likely RN.
Coach Palmieri was over due for his payday. That's why he moved on to Georgia High School Football. He doubled his salary, along with 2 bonuses since his departure. Back in 2014 Georgia had over 44 head football coaches in Georgia making more than $100,000 a year. Rush Prospt was the highest paid back then with an Annual salary of $141,870. The number of coaches making six figures has doubled since then. Assistants in Georgia make more than Head Coaches in Charlotte. 30k to 60k pay increases are life changing.

Coach Palmieri was over due for his payday. That's why he moved on to Georgia High School Football. He doubled his salary, along with 2 bonuses since his departure. Back in 2014 Georgia had over 44 head football coaches in Georgia making more than $100,000 a year. Rush Prospt was the highest paid back then with an Annual salary of $141,870. The number of coaches making six figures has doubled since then. Assistants in Georgia make more than Head Coaches in Charlotte. 30k to 60k pay increases are life changing.
What’s a math teacher with a Masters make?

NC doesn't give a rats you know what about education... The lottery was put in place so the tax money that was used for education in the state could be allocated elsewhere, even though they said it would help increase money for education. Instead of the lottery bolstering our teachers wages and what not like it was supposed to, everything just ended up staying the same. Education was just put in the lottery's name so there wouldn't be so much push back from the Southern Baptists and other religious groups, because they didn't really want gambling in the state.

Last edited:
Want to keep coaches pay them simple as that. Some of the bigger schools these coaches are responsible for 100+ kids plus their students 12 months a year. In NC coaches get paid Aug - Oct. It's a dang joke. Any politician who says they are for our teachers are liars. We've had republican leaders We've had democrat leaders and nothing changes. All talk!

Its all about the money and the requirement to have to be in the classroom. Just going to SC they basically double the salary, get a much larger athletic budget, and don't have to teach. It's not even competitive.

Reactions: nepsy7
North Carolina just doesn’t care guys. The General assembly here just doesn’t care about public education public schools and coaches. If they could pay us less they would I would be shocked if they are not goi f to do so

Very few schools in NC where a coach will not have to teach. I do know some football HC's in NC that only teach two blocks a day of weight training. Basically a half day for football planning and mowing fields. They get a weight room supplement and other pay also. Bigger money in other states, but to coach in NC teaching will generally be required.

Reactions: ncjeff
Very few schools in NC where a coach will not have to teach. I do know some football HC's in NC that only teach two blocks a day of weight training. Basically a half day for football planning and mowing fields. They get a weight room supplement and other pay also. Bigger money in other states, but to coach in NC teaching will generally be required.
Truthfully, I feel that coaches should be teachers . Mowing lawns and driving buses on the other hand to me is absurd. I still cannot believe coaches and ADs do that here. My first day as a coach in NC I remember driving past the football field and the landscaper with cut off sleeves, deep farmers tan and an old straw hat waved at me. 15 minutes later the HC was bringing me to meet the AD and we stopped to talk to the landscaper. It took a few minutes to realize that the AD and this landscaper was 1 in the same! I taught in multiple states and this was the first time I encountered an AD that didn't spend they day in a suit and tie.

Again North Carolina is cheap and does not care about public education tue teachers nor the coaches

Reactions: bigtime_87
Truthfully, I feel that coaches should be teachers . Mowing lawns and driving buses on the other hand to me is absurd. I still cannot believe coaches and ADs do that here. My first day as a coach in NC I remember driving past the football field and the landscaper with cut off sleeves, deep farmers tan and an old straw hat waved at me. 15 minutes later the HC was bringing me to meet the AD and we stopped to talk to the landscaper. It took a few minutes to realize that the AD and this landscaper was 1 in the same! I taught in multiple states and this was the first time I encountered an AD that didn't spend they day in a suit and tie.
Very true and most people have no clue how much time, energy and personal money coaches put into their team, school and facilities.

Page has a big booster club and there has to be some extra stipend money in there for being a coach at Page. Add in the factor of Page now having a turf field, that cuts out some of the grass field prep work that the staff needs to get done. All of a sudden, Page looking like a top gig in the Triad lol (joking aside, it always has been a top job in the area.)
Seems like if nothing is going to get done by the state to allocate more of a percentage of the lottery money to go towards teachers and coaches, then the state needs to work some of the tax money back into the education budget. Or, just hope that your school can increase booster club fund raising.

Page has a big booster club and there has to be some extra stipend money in there for being a coach at Page. Add in the factor of Page now having a turf field, that cuts out some of the grass field prep work that the staff needs to get done. All of a sudden, Page looking like a top gig in the Triad lol (joking aside, it always has been a top job in the area.)
Seems like if nothing is going to get done by the state to allocate more of a percentage of the lottery money to go towards teachers and coaches, then the state needs to work some of the tax money back into the education budget. Or, just hope that your school can increase booster club fund raising.
Hey PP, I am sure that grass mowing and field prep is a way a lot of coaches get extra money. Now that revenue is gone with turf. The work may not be worth the reward though.

Reactions: PagePirates44
Besides pay, the lack of assistance from a department or superior is one of the most aggravating things for coaches. However, they rarely demand persistent supervision that suggests they can't be trusted to complete their own tasks. There must be a balance.

If coaches see that the school is committed to, supportive of, and encouraging of what they are doing, they are more likely to stay with your program. They also want assurance that the athletic director would support them if something goes wrong, such as when parents attack or when supporters are unduly critical.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT