ADVERTISEMENT

Mooresville Football

MHSBigBlue06

Jun 19, 2022
I guess this my kinda state of the union address đŸ˜‚đŸ˜‚

11-1. Back to back GM4 titles. It’s hard to really complain about that on its own. But…. Here we are.

Arguably the best collection of talent we have had since 2011… but yet… nothing to show for it. The same result as the last 12 years. If this was a one off thing… I get it. But it’s a pattern now. And the issue is the same as it’s been… offense.

This defense was top notch. But the offense just didn’t change… and progressively got more predictable as the year went on. And we don’t adapt or change what we do.. others figured that out.

I don’t try to be overly critical… because I think our staff as a whole is good. But it’s 2023 man… not 1993 or 2003. Our talent has surpassed the old school traditionalist philosophy Mooresville has always done for decades (this isn’t new). We need to wake up and realize what used to work… isn’t going to be able to carry us anymore. And that we actually do have the talent in key positions to be able to adapt! We have to become more creative. We have to be less predictable.

And more importantly… idc how long we have played a team traditionally (looking at you west Rowan) we have to build a non conference schedule that forces us to grow… not allows us to
be complacent.

If there is one thing I learned this year being in the fan base, and it was VERY evident last night with the energy in the stadium… this city is ready for more. This city is hungry for more. And now, this city expects more. The status quo isn’t cutting it for people anymore.

One thing I will say. Have to realize also that some of the best talent out on the field are sophomores. The QB and DB they have and some other’s returning will make Mooresville a special team. Also considering the possibility of some top notch players coming up from middle school could be joining this team in a couple years when Mooresville QB and DB are seniors. Also taking in consideration that Mooresville has a real good coaching staff. I be willing to step on the limb and dare say Mooresville could well easily go deep in the playoffs in couple years as well.

One thing I will say. Have to realize also that some of the best talent out on the field are sophomores. The QB and DB they have and some other’s returning will make Mooresville a special team. Also considering the possibility of some top notch players coming up from middle school could be joining this team in a couple years when Mooresville QB and DB are seniors. Also taking in consideration that Mooresville has a real good coaching staff. I be willing to step on the limb and dare say Mooresville could well easily go deep in the playoffs in couple years as well.

I saw both those MS teams. There is some additional talent on the way. I saw them up close.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I will add just one more thing that I failed to mention. A big shout to the fan base. Awesome turnout at the game last night. Mooresville band is awesome. The crowd was really into it. As BlueDevil06 would say we need that energy especially in every game. The future looks bright for the Bluedevils.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ooooner
I agree with what my fellow Blue devil said but ill put my 2 cents in

We have 3 Head Coaches On staff - They have the leadership ability and understand the roles of a coordinator and HC duties and I feel like they should be able to come up with a great game plan and also make sure they folks around them are better.

I agree our GAME planning got predictable as a example - We done a fake punt 3-4 games in a row an and it was always the same formation, the same player got the ball. This time in the playoff game it got blown up and gave Tabor good field postion

Offensively - We couldn't do anything do to pressure and we did not adjust! We did not do no screen, no play action as that was needed as OL was getting pressure so u need something to help your limtied run game and help open that back up Play action is the way to go or screens. We need to be more aggressive but Smarter on play call as I didnt like when we did a QB sneak that didnt work at all due to O line struggles.

Defense - One of the best units we have had in years and They bailed us out and work their asses off but they had to keep battling as our offense keep getting stalled and had to punt. No issues on this side

Overall - We have do a better job on play calling n putting our-self in position to win. We have the talent now and possible talent for the future to stay successful. This staff is a great staff and I have no issues with them as 2 conference title but 12 years of not getting past the 2nd round still reminds

Also I have said this for Mooresville n other Iredell co programs - In 4A U must be able to successful throw the ball u need to be balanced. Butler is a prime example this yr - They are way more balance this yr then last yr n i believe they are BETTER then last yr even tho #s were better last yr.

Its also We should do better in all sports as its hard to see 1994, 1995, 2008 on our championship boards in the gym. Mooresville has to do better with talent they have in all sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik-Val 86

We have 3 Head Coaches On staff - They have the leadership ability and understand the roles of a coordinator and HC duties and I feel like they should be able to come up with a great game plan and also make sure they folks around them are better.

I agree our GAME planning got predictable as a example - We done a fake punt 3-4 games in a row an and it was always the same formation, the same player got the ball. This time in the playoff game it got blown up and gave Tabor good field postion

Offensively - We couldn't do anything do to pressure and we did not adjust! We did not do no screen, no play action as that was needed as OL was getting pressure so u need something to help your limtied run game and help open that back up Play action is the way to go or screens. We need to be more aggressive but Smarter on play call as I didnt like when we did a QB sneak that didnt work at all due to O line struggles.

Defense - One of the best units we have had in years and They bailed us out and work their asses off but they had to keep battling as our offense keep getting stalled and had to punt. No issues on this side

Overall - We have do a better job on play calling n putting our-self in position to win. We have the talent now and possible talent for the future to stay successful. This staff is a great staff and I have no issues with them as 2 conference title but 12 years of not getting past the 2nd round still reminds

Also I have said this for Mooresville n other Iredell co programs - In 4A U must be able to successful throw the ball u need to be balanced. Butler is a prime example this yr - They are way more balance this yr then last yr n i believe they are BETTER then last yr even tho #s were better last yr.

Its also We should do better in all sports as its hard to see 1994, 1995, 2008 on our championship boards in the gym. Mooresville has to do better with talent they have in all sports.
I don’t think the game planning is bad. I just would like to see a little more creativity built into the offense if that makes sense. I feel like we’re a pretty simple team, and we’re gonna do our thing and be stubborn doing it lol whether it’s working or not đŸ˜‚

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
I don’t think the game planning is bad. I just would like to see a little more creativity built into the offense if that makes sense. I feel like we’re a pretty simple team, and we’re gonna do our thing and be stubborn doing it lol whether it’s working or not đŸ˜‚
I just didn’t like the QB draws at the wrong times n We didn’t do no screens and that would help open up the run game so u have do stuff to help pass or run and Mooresville is more balanced their past years but Run game still our bread n butter n if it’s not working play calling has do a better job to open that up - That’s why I said screens n play action that’s football 101 u see it happen in nfl every game

Judging by the first post's date, people took less than 24 hours to start bashing the coaching staff at Mooresville. Ever wonder why you're on your 3rd Head Coach in 8 years? Interesting!! All it took was one loss for everyone to start talking about the things you feel need to be done differently.

Why don't we take the time to celebrate what the football program was able to achieve this year! 11-1 overall record! 2 back-to-back 10-win seasons, which hasn't been accomplished in almost 10 years. 10-0 in the regular season! Conference champions! Both the Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year awards. 12 all-conference selections. All of this with a completely new offense. Mooresville graduated the entire backfield last year, several linemen and some receivers. New players had to fill open roles and did so in a way to achieve great things. Sounds like great coaching to me.

As a former coach, my hat is off to Coach Nixon and the rest of the Mooresville Football coaching staff. I have watched from a distance and can see things going in the right direction. Keep doing what you guys are doing because you are making a far more significant impact on your players than people want to give you credit for.

Great Post! It's posts like these that make emotional fans, like myself, look silly. Bravo!

Great Post! It's posts like these that make emotional fans, like myself, look silly. Bravo!
The issue that I have is Tabor was beatable plain n simple - Tabor had talent but they are not far superior period and Mooresville had every chance and ability to win that game and It’s not bashing the coach if it’s tru

U see it everyone say If someone stoping the run or the pass - U start start doing screens n play action n whatever case to help open whatever u need so u can do the play u want to work. Our O line was getting pressured n The play calling didn’t help that issue plain n simple n it’s all facts period

Don’t have like it but it’s true and also Losing and not getting past the 2nd is the biggest issue that Most loyal fans have - 2011 was last time we been past the 2nd round - Yes winning conference championship is a great feast but Winning is playoffs is where it matters n where most people remember you from. Playoff hold more value and Mooresville would earned more respect if we could win those big games!

Players make plays, not play calling. Play action doesn’t work if you don’t have a running game. Sounds like the offense doesn’t have the overall talent (as you say is in the program) to be a good offense.

Players make plays, not play calling. Play action doesn’t work if you don’t have a running game. Sounds like the offense doesn’t have the overall talent (as you say is in the program) to be a good offense.
That make no sense - Play action will open up the run period u see it done at the nfl level if the run game isn’t working u do play action - My 9ers do it all the time - But you are right players have excuse but play calling does matter to

Bottom line is the more talented team is going to win 90% of the the time! Doesn’t matter if you run, play action, screen, out formation, do back flips….it doesn’t matter. Look in the mirror and be honest with the talent level. This isn’t the NFL that is built for parody. And your 9ers don’t set up the run with play action, it’s the opposite!

It's always an absolute JOKE when someone bashes the coaches and then compares it to the NFL.

Not that you can judge everything based off of playoffs and how those shake out - but it is pretty clear that the entire GM4 is still much behind the rest of 4A in terms of how talented they are, the conference just isn't that good overall and it really shows when these teams have to play teams outside of the GM4. Mooresville was the only one to make it out of the 1st round out of all of the teams that made it, and they got beat at home in the 2nd round. Lake Norman got dominated by Indy, HR was outcoached and out-schemed in the 2nd half by Watauga, Sun Valley smacked Cox Mill, and Mooresville had to beat Kannapolis in OT just to survive.

I get that you have to play the schedule that is in front of you, but none of these teams are ready to compete with the likes of Butler, Indy, Weddington, Grimsley, or even Charlotte Catholic on a year-in/year-out basis. Just calling it like it is.

It's always an absolute JOKE when someone bashes the coaches and then compares it to the NFL.
It’s all the same the same principle and You see it at ALL level pain n simple n tbh idc u don’t agree with my opinion or not

Bottom line is the more talented team is going to win 90% of the the time! Doesn’t matter if you run, play action, screen, out formation, do back flips….it doesn’t matter. Look in the mirror and be honest with the talent level. This isn’t the NFL that is built for parody. And your 9ers don’t set up the run with play action, it’s the opposite!
1. Mooresville was more talented imo
2. 9er do run play action but don’t do it as much as we use to
3. You see it all level HS, college , NFL u adjust your play calls to what happening in the game if 1 thing isn’t working u go to something that will plain n simple. Deep passes when your O line isn’t getting enough push or time isn’t going to work plain n simple n everyone I asked said why did we run a bubble screen of some short bc that option would been there n worked

Not that you can judge everything based off of playoffs and how those shake out - but it is pretty clear that the entire GM4 is still much behind the rest of 4A in terms of how talented they are, the conference just isn't that good overall and it really shows when these teams have to play teams outside of the GM4. Mooresville was the only one to make it out of the 1st round out of all of the teams that made it, and they got beat at home in the 2nd round. Lake Norman got dominated by Indy, HR was outcoached and out-schemed in the 2nd half by Watauga, Sun Valley smacked Cox Mill, and Mooresville had to beat Kannapolis in OT just to survive.

I get that you have to play the schedule that is in front of you, but none of these teams are ready to compete with the likes of Butler, Indy, Weddington, Grimsley, or even Charlotte Catholic on a year-in/year-out basis. Just calling it like it is.
I agree I wish our Non conference would be bit tougher I been saying I want West Rowan off the schedule for while it’s my least fav game

Reactions: CLTTarHeel33
also I ain’t bashing no one im bashing why we didn’t make adjustments and I love our staff - 3 Former HCs and few other guys who great guys but Again If something isn’t working n or a opponent is doing something to causing issues within offense u need something to stop that issue (OL wasn’t getting pushed n a lot pressure) and usually if u have pressured on OL usually a deep pass doesn’t work or 10-15 yard pass so u need do a 5 yard pass or screen or a run

If i could do a Non conference for Mooresville give me this

Reagan
West Forysth
Davie
Catholic or Hough
As a Davie fan we would probably get bashed by y'all every year ngl, we had more talent this year than usual and still couldn't do too much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT