ADVERTISEMENT

How is this right?

WSPrep ADM was said to be down from 275 to about 200 this year. If you take away all that are cheerleaders or play sports they would close the doors. They just got a new football coach about a month ago hoping to to get their football program up to par with their basketball and get their ADM back up. The new coach had coached at North Forsyth & Parkland in Winston Salem. They depend on all the 1-A schools in 2 far smaller counties for their gate at their games and bring very small gates probably only family with them. Very Large Forsyth Co. Is using small Surry & Stokes Counties to keep up the sports @ WSPrep . Magnet schools are just as advantaged as charter and private schools.

Last edited:
Yes and WSPrep is the only 1-A school in the County ...Forsyth Co. is a huge school system. Probably more kids in school than the population of Mount Airy Population: 10,417 (2013)
Forsyth Co. School System: http://wsfcs.k12.nc.us/cms/lib/NC01001395/Centricity/Domain/5/2015-16 Map and Directions.pdf
Surry County has 20 schools, Mount Airy City has 5 schools K-12 including Millennium Charter Academy K-12 and Elkin has 3 schools.Each city has 1 high school. That is 28 total schools elementary to high school.

Last edited:
Local systems can override this state rule.
If a student wanted to transfer from say Mount Airy 1-A To North Surry 2-A or vice versa and the school he or she is transfering from will release them with approval to transfer and play and for go the 365 day rule can that player play and not wait the 365 days ? Also add East Surry to that mix...I think I heard at one time that could take place, may be wrong.

Last edited:
Many of the rules, not all, that the NCHSAA has in place cannot be overridden by the local school system(s).

What you referenced in Surry County sounds logical if the two school systems were ok with it. My guess is as long as the school where the student is enrolled is ok with them participating it would be ok. Very grey area.

Many of the rules, not all, that the NCHSAA has in place cannot be overridden by the local school system(s).

What you referenced in Surry County sounds logical if the two school systems were ok with it. My guess is as long as the school where the student is enrolled is ok with them participating it would be ok. Very grey area.
Not saying this is happening as I don't know but the three school systems have worked well together year in and year out and only one person seems to stick his nose in their business and the school he supports is a highly advantaged school. He seems to show up this time of year like the groundhog trying to control our weather and he wants to influence public schools as though he has all the answers as a know it all. This can fitseveral people but the one that is the worst and nosiest will pop up his head. lol Read him lik a book.......

Kid plays ball one season at Mt Airy next season at North Surry. No 365 day rule.

If you move from Mount Airy to Toast/Flat Rock? Or if you stay in the same house?
What's the difference? Every year like clockwork for over a decade we go through this, first with Bishop, then with WSP and now with the charters. Every year the folks who run the NCHSAA are called "cheaters", "greedy" and this year POS (which I guess stands for piece of shit... if you want to use "POS" be a man and say the words). Every year it's "the small schools need to split off and start their own". Every year I get to point out what has happened for years and years, right or wrong, in the Mt. Airy area. During football season the posts were numerous on the 1A board about kids moving schools in the mountains with no 365 day sit out. Bottom line, be careful when throwing stones when you live in a glass house because boundary schools are often non-boundary schools.

Parts of Toast are Mount Airy now as the city has taken over parts of Toast and all in the next few years and all of Flat Rock has to drive through Mount Airy to go that extra 5 miles to North Surry .Maybe half or more of the area out side the city of Mount Airy come through Mount Airy going to North Surry. So I know the people at Mount Airy and no rules are being broken.
When I posted about the advantaged schools in Forsyth Co. as I did last year I posted facts backed up by school and county webstes of the schools and county, so my question is , with theses accusations where are facts or anything to back up your farce and unsubstantiated BS (Black Sheep) LOL every year. With out facts ,I call it lies and rumors feed to some one knowing they will make a fool of theirself useing it. LOL ...Everyone at Mount Airy are there legal I can promose you that.I proved my facts on Bishop last year and have only posted the Bishop name this year posting their scores and treating them fair. So post facts and no unsubstantiated lies or hear say. I called no names but this person knows who they are. THAT IS ALL I NEED TO SAY because there are no facts to be presented ,only lies and rumors feed to the POS "Point Of Stress" LOL.... I will not debate with a sour loser with no facts so that's my one and only answer .............

Last edited:
Hey sport, first of all you can't "promise" that everyone at Mt. Airy is legal. Secondly, kids have played one year at one school and the next at another without sitting out 365 days. Kids have lived in Elkin and played for Mt. Airy. Why, because the schools allow it up there, pure and simple. For a Mt.Airy supporter to be ranting yearly about others is laughable.

Hey sport, have never said, in over a decade, that Mt. Airy has done anything "illegal", just like charters have done nothing "illegal".

Last edited:
Other than the advantages awarded them by the NCHSAA I guess not but the NCHSAA letting them recruit and have open enrollment can we agree that is unfair If not we have nothing else to say.You can take it up with others because I can back what I say up.

Every school system is different. Some systems don't allow students to attend their schools unless they live in their district. There are some systems that allow students outside their district to attend. You have some that have open enrollment. You have some with no definite boundary (25 mile radius).

Back to my question is it fair for schools that have #1 above to play against the various others situations. Just a fair question.

I think the biggest question is defining "traditional" schools. If a student can live outside the school district but play for a school, unless the parent works in the school (may be a reasonable exception), then that school does not meet the traditional definition. Even with a 365 sit out I think it is an issue.

If a student and his nuclear family physically make a legal and legitimate move of their primary residence into a school district and the student is not allowed to play sports then the school system could be be on the losing end of a lawsuit.

open invite to 3 daughters & Btango..next time in Granite City look me up...will take you on a tour and let you see 1st hand how the lines are drawn here...you'll be amazed .....

When you guys say "across the creek", which one is it? The one on 89 near North Surry.

When you guys say "across the creek", which one is it? The one on 89 near North Surry.
I have alway though that was the one but you cross 2 rivers to get between the 2 schools.1 close to Mount Airy & one close to North Surry

Last edited:
You want to know something else funny . You go through Toast which has it's own zip code 27049 to get to North Surry and it's feeder schools, but North Surry and it's feeder schools has the Mount Airy zip code 27030.

Last edited:
open invite to 3 daughters & Btango..next time in Granite City look me up...will take you on a tour and let you see 1st hand how the lines are drawn here...you'll be amazed .....

Nothing amazes me on school systems and all the politics and crazy ideas that come from them. I am currently watching a county with three 1A high schools and one 2A in chaos over school lines. I have seen one house send three children to three different high schools due to redistricting. I have lived in the two largest school districts in the US, also. Same arguments one education and sports in each one it seems.

you can basically throw a rock to where county buses pick up/ turn around from MAHS....go to top of the hill on same street and it belongs to city schools....county & city buses pass each other daily in the city limits getting kids to county schools

Is there not a guard for Lincoln Charter who attended LC as 9th, played somewhere else in county as 10th and is back to LC this year?

As someone who has been subjected to being in a nine team conference with only 2 traditional public schools, I can tell all of you that if anyone in their right mind believes that the playing field is even when the 2 public schools have clearly defined district lines, and the other 7 schools can draw from a larger radius. That being said I have accepted the fact that there's not many other 1a schools in our area so it is a necessary must to be in a conference with 7 non-traditional high schools. That would be better than being in a split 1a-2a for us.

My thing is that once the playoffs start, the non-traditional high schools should be placed into their own bracket as they have a unfair advantage over traditional public high schools. Now someone on here keeps saying the NCHSAA executives aren't big on them and that our principals, and ADs, and superintendents should say something. Well I can tell you that a letter proposing non-traditional high schools being placed into their own bracket was drafted by a Smokey Mountain Conference AD and was submitted to the NCHSAA. I was fortunate to get to read it and it was a great response to the problem that no one wants to admit. I asked about how that letter was received and it was stated that the NCHSAA was disappointed that the Smokey Mountain Conference felt that way about charter schools.

So after tomorrows 1A state championship game between Lincoln Charter and Kestrel Heights, all the traditional 1a public high schools will be able to feel proud about another great season of basketball and how we were all represented at the state championship level.

~A Jacketfan

I have had conversations with Coach Gentry about this subject.

The key is not to suggest to remove them but have a plan with support of schools from across the state not one geographical area. The main problem I see in NC is a lack of support between the classifications and very areas of the state.

I have had conversations with Coach Gentry about this subject.

The key is not to suggest to remove them but have a plan with support of schools from across the state not one geographical area. The main problem I see in NC is a lack of support between the classifications and very areas of the state.
Not sure but is that a complete turn around on what Coach Gentry posted last year. Or am I miss understanding what you are talking about ?

Just to say a certain group needs to be removed does not solve the problem. You have to have a plan in place how to disperse those public schools, how to do alignment for classifications, and conferences. Also, they need to go further into what will be a traditional school and when a school becomes non traditional and look closer at the transfer rules and 365 sitout. If all charters are reclassed and WS Prep remains with the regular schools has the problem been solved?

Just to say a certain group needs to be removed does not solve the problem. You have to have a plan in place how to disperse those public schools, how to do alignment for classifications, and conferences. Also, they need to go further into what will be a traditional school and when a school becomes non traditional and look closer at the transfer rules and 365 sitout. If all charters are reclassed and WS Prep remains with the regular schools has the problem been solved?
1-A Magnet schools play up to either 2 or 3-A ... But what to do with private schools ? Play up also or go with the charter sense neither has any boundries and can pull from anywhere,any state ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT