ADVERTISEMENT

How is this right?

The rationale I've always heard for the school choice movement is that introducing market factors into public education will cause schools to either produce at a higher level (and in doing so attract enough students to stay open) or lose students if they don't produce until they shut down and make rooms for the schools that work. So how does Forsyth County justify a magnet school with 200 students and terrible test scores/school report cards? I'm not trying to stir the pot here, it just seems odd and I was hoping somebody could fill me in on something I am missing...
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
http://www.wsfcs.k12.nc.us/domain/1588
LOL

LOL Forsyth country does not have any charter schools competing in the NCHSAA , so even if they put the charters in their own playoffs WS Prep along with the other Forsyth County open enrollment schools will still be around. If you want change stop open enrollment but I think it's only going to get worse with the national and state legislatures pushing for school choice.

You're missing my point, I don't care if a parent wants to send their child to any school, that's fine. More power to them, but a school that can draw from very large talent pools, have NO business playing at the 1A level. The fact that they can continue year in and year out recruit from an area of 500,000+ population pool and beat every 1A team by 50+, make 5 straight championships, and as of 2005 never have a losing record is insane. Not to mention pride themselves as a prep school with the lowest test scores in the state is pathetic.1A programs are up and down, they have good years and bad years, 1A programs have to rebuild. WS Prep don't have to rebuild, the just recruit, reload in a population pool far greater than any 4A schools. IT IS 1,000,000% PURE CHEATING!!! IT'S CHEATING EVERY KID THAT MADE IT THERE THE RIGHT WAY, IT CHEATING EVERYONE OF OUR RURAL AREAS THAT HAVE FOUGHT SO HARD TO GET A FAIR SHOT AT A STATE TITLE WITHOUT CUTTING CORNERS. That might be lol funny to you but it's not to the rest of us that has to play by a different set of rules!

Last edited:
WSPrep is blowing everyone out 38 to 50 points. Beat Mitchell 88-37
Rosman 95-55 & Community School of Davidson 88-50

WS Prep has blown out everyone for years and years, you would think that would throw up the red flag for the pathetic POS NCHSAA, but they don't care. It's time to seriously move toward forming our own association and leave the NCHSAA.

The schools cannot come together to stand up to the unfair inclusion of these schools in 1A so how would they come together to start their own association?

i think the traditional 1A schools could effect s change but they cannot get a consensus on a plan. One big sticking point is what is truly the dividing line between "traditional" and "non traditional". I think many would be surprised at how cloudy this is.

A simple and reasonable argument would be to show the rosters for the 2016 and 2017 WSP hoops teams in addition to the football team at Mountain Island Charter comparing 2015 and 2016. That is a bigger issue than just the basic Charter school argument.

A simple and reasonable argument would be to show the rosters for the 2016 and 2017 WSP hoops teams in addition to the football team at Mountain Island Charter comparing 2015 and 2016. That is a bigger issue than just the basic Charter school argument.

Max Prep has that information I'm not sure accurate it is but it goes back 2011

Link to Historical Rosters

I think the solution is to figure out a way to classify open enrollment schools based on the population they draw from--possibly a multiplier that is based on the population of the 25-mile radius (so, for instance, a school like Thomas Jefferson would have a much smaller multiplier than Raleigh Charter/Kestrel Heights/WSPA).

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan and BK13T-$
The bottom line is prep/charter schools never should be in the playoffs with public schools. I don't care if remote schools like Cherokee and Murphy don't see the competition all season, they shouldn't have too. They are small 1A schools that pull from a very small area. Let teams like WS Prep play in the 3A or 4A and lets see how good they are? It is just not right and there is no denying it!
WS Prep nonconference schedule is made up of 3A and 4A schools for the very reason you mentioned. There isn't much competition besides Mt. Airy in conference. The two losses they have is to the 4A rep playing Butler tomorrow night. I promise u they would fair better than you think in 3A and 4A. Contrary to what's thought I believe Prep would like to go up if it were possible. I support Prep but believe there are some legitimate concerns with the playing landscape. No one's enjoying traveling and paying the money too see these massacres.

I support Prep in basketball but happen to agree with a lot of what's being said however Prep doesn't have to recruit players. Kids are simply going there because they're winning. It's a fact Preps nonconference schedule is more competitive than its playoff run. It makes for an less than exciting post season. I believe Prep would welcome an opportunity to move up. Except for a couple of posters you all have been class about your concerns and I believe they're legitimate. The ultimate issue I believe is that until football is influenced by charter schools you won't see much done. I thought it really low class to take a thread in the direction of academic and test scores for one school to prove a point and not do it to anyone else. I know for a fact its a couple of well known public schools in Forsyth not performing much better than Prep and it should be tragic for all period. To use it as a point of contention about the playoffs is classless. To everyone else I hope this does get worked out. It's hard traveling and paying to watch some of these scores.

The finger should not be pointed at WSP or the coach but at Forsyth County Schools. They let it happen and it is an issue that needs to be addressed. If the 365 day set out period was followed on transfers it would cut down on the problem.

I think if WSP were playing 3A and 4A they would be much less likely to win state or regional titles and players would then be much less interested in playing for them.

Last edited:
The finger should not be pointed at WSP or the coach but at Forsyth County Schools. They let it happen and it is an issue that needs to be addressed. If the 365 day set out period was followed on transfers it would cut down on the problem.

I think if WSP were playing 3A and 4A they would be much less likely to win state or regional titles and players would then be much less interested in playing for them.
They probably wouldn't have the sustained success they've experienced but I don't doubt they would still maintain some measure of success. I'm not delusional in believing the lack of competition is contributing to the success but they're doing some things right over there too. It's not all bad by far. They're benefiting from the system to a degree and any of you who believe your coaches would turn away these "picked" players aren't dealing in reality. Most winning situations are gonna have players wanting to come to their school. It's a trend. Everyone wanted to flock to Indy in football early on. Then it was Butler and now it's Creek. Some of this is kiss wanting to go where their already winning. No one really likes to build programs like they used to. Our society has a microwave mindset.

what academically does WS Prep offer that would entice students from other schools to want to attend ??

Last edited:
what academically does WS Prep offer that would entice students from other schools to want to attend ??

Searching Google I found the information below.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Winston-Salem Prep Academy is opening a new college prep cafe.

The cafe is a college-like lounge where ninth graders can take college seminars, online electives and work with mentors.

If students graduate with a “B” average, they’ll get a laptop and scholarship money for college.

“These students may be the first in their family to get to college and so this is a great way to continue on that,” said Theo Helm, Director of Marketing & Communications at Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools.

The new cafe was made possible in partnership with the Thurgood Marshall College fund, Winston-Salem State University and the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools.

The new cafe dedication and kick-off takes places Wednesday morning.

Where do you get the "thousands of students" from? Just because the opportunity to pull form surrounding areas (25 miles) doesn't mean they "draw" them. Charters are choice schools and 99% of all kids at Charter School CHOOSE to go there for academic purposes. Plus, the lottery doesn't guarantee ANYBODY a spot at the school. Both of my children attend a charter and we were on a waiting list for 3 years before we got into the charter. We applied for the lottery but never got a call. Don't let a school that lives in an open school district damper all charters. Not trying to argue as I see your points as well but as a parent of charters schools I see both sides.

I hate to burst your bubble but my kids attended a charter school and not every charter school plays by the same rules. Do you think for a MINUTE that Lincoln Charter or WSP would have a basketball player show up and they would "turn them away" because they were not on the waiting list? If you think that way keep dreaming.

I support Prep in basketball but happen to agree with a lot of what's being said however Prep doesn't have to recruit players. Kids are simply going there because they're winning. It's a fact Preps nonconference schedule is more competitive than its playoff run. It makes for an less than exciting post season. I believe Prep would welcome an opportunity to move up. Except for a couple of posters you all have been class about your concerns and I believe they're legitimate. The ultimate issue I believe is that until football is influenced by charter schools you won't see much done. I thought it really low class to take a thread in the direction of academic and test scores for one school to prove a point and not do it to anyone else. I know for a fact its a couple of well known public schools in Forsyth not performing much better than Prep and it should be tragic for all period. To use it as a point of contention about the playoffs is classless. To everyone else I hope this does get worked out. It's hard traveling and paying to watch some of these scores.

I agree with this. About 6-7 years ago the AD's in the state were sent a survey to consider what to do with the non-traditional schools. I believe less that 12% responded to the survey. Mostly because 1) the 4A & 3A schools are not affected by these schools. 2) Most AD's are football coaches, they feel if it doesn't affect their particular sport it doesn't matter. Until football is influenced by a non-traditional winning 3-4 state titles then changes may be made.

Reactions: DATROOTH
I hate to burst your bubble but my kids attended a charter school and not every charter school plays by the same rules. Do you think for a MINUTE that Lincoln Charter or WSP would have a basketball player show up and they would "turn them away" because they were not on the waiting list? If you think that way keep dreaming.

I know for a fact the a kid that was 7'1 was in the lottery, got picked number 1 in the lottery, but got denied because of his transcripts and he probably couldn't handle the rigor of LCS. That same kid went to Lincolnton, starred for them, and played for them. So don't give me that crap. LCS doesn't recruit. I'll say this again, those kids have been together since middle school. And let me ask you this since your are in the accusatory stage....does your school require your athletes to maintain a 3.0 to play? Does your school have a school wide grade check every 3 weeks to check for OVERALL grades not just semester? Does your school have rigorous classroom setting that each kid is required to master? Does your school require a Learn, Serve, Engage program that requires kids to be involved in community service programs throughout the school year? Does your school have a dress code? Does your school provide transportation or lunch services? Does your school require all students to uphold a 2 hour minimum outside of class work for each class? These are the things that are REQUIRED at LCS. So as you can see, it takes a special young man/woman to be a part of that school. 99% of any student/athlete couldn't handle what is thrown at the students at LCS. They don't go out and recruit....they build from within. Their middle school hasn't lost a game in 4 years and they aren't the most talented. Its called coaching the heck out of the kids.
So before you start bashing LCS why don't you stick your nose in a little further. There are programs, kids, and coaches that actually do it the correct way. And I could care less about any of the other programs that you guys are so willingly to throw under the bus every year at this time. There are kids who work their tales off to get a chance only to have so called "adults" attack their schools, their programs, and even admins/coaches, etc. The fact is...you have no clue what WS Prep goes through on a daily basis. Who cares if their scores aren't up to par. Looks like their numbers are par for the course in Forsyth County. WS Prep has given kids the opportunity to better themselves in the future and for that I applaud. You all should be ashamed at trying to bash Charters/Schools,etc. and acting as if the coaches are at fault.

Reactions: DATROOTH
I know for a fact the a kid that was 7'1 was in the lottery, got picked number 1 in the lottery, but got denied because of his transcripts and he probably couldn't handle the rigor of LCS. That same kid went to Lincolnton, starred for them, and played for them. So don't give me that crap. LCS doesn't recruit. I'll say this again, those kids have been together since middle school. And let me ask you this since your are in the accusatory stage....does your school require your athletes to maintain a 3.0 to play? Does your school have a school wide grade check every 3 weeks to check for OVERALL grades not just semester? Does your school have rigorous classroom setting that each kid is required to master? Does your school require a Learn, Serve, Engage program that requires kids to be involved in community service programs throughout the school year? Does your school have a dress code? Does your school provide transportation or lunch services? Does your school require all students to uphold a 2 hour minimum outside of class work for each class? These are the things that are REQUIRED at LCS. So as you can see, it takes a special young man/woman to be a part of that school. 99% of any student/athlete couldn't handle what is thrown at the students at LCS. They don't go out and recruit....they build from within. Their middle school hasn't lost a game in 4 years and they aren't the most talented. Its called coaching the heck out of the kids.
So before you start bashing LCS why don't you stick your nose in a little further. There are programs, kids, and coaches that actually do it the correct way. And I could care less about any of the other programs that you guys are so willingly to throw under the bus every year at this time. There are kids who work their tales off to get a chance only to have so called "adults" attack their schools, their programs, and even admins/coaches, etc. The fact is...you have no clue what WS Prep goes through on a daily basis. Who cares if their scores aren't up to par. Looks like their numbers are par for the course in Forsyth County. WS Prep has given kids the opportunity to better themselves in the future and for that I applaud. You all should be ashamed at trying to bash Charters/Schools,etc. and acting as if the coaches are at fault.

If they do it the right way or not, they have a competitive advantage over other schools and as such need to be in a separate division. You are able to take students within 25 miles of your school, covering several counties. Very, very few 1A schools are able to do the same, unless they are private/charter schools.

One question: if they build from within, why do they have a lottery for new students?

Finally take your own advice: Stop Bashing. Do you really believe that "99% of any student/athlete couldn't handle what is thrown at the students at LCS."? This statement is totally false. No debate. There are many bright young people that could do so. I am sure that some of the top 1% of students in this state can be found roaming the halls of schools other than LCS. You are using the tactics that you denounce to defend your school.

One question: if they build from within, why do they have a lottery for new students?

I think charters replenish the student body as students leave the charter to return to public or attend private schools. They attempt to keep their numbers at or as close to the maximum as possible.

I think charters replenish the student body as students leave the charter to return to public or attend private schools. They attempt to keep their numbers at or as close to the maximum as possible.

I am sure they do, but I am surprised that apparently none of them play basketball at LNC as "they build from within."

You can say that about a lot of schools. My issue is since basketball isn't an even playing field to which I agreed then come the insults about their academics. If it were an academic thread I get it. No one else's academics is under a spotlight and I'm sure Prep isn't the only school struggling. I don't like the undertones of the comments. Let's just put it out there.

Last edited:
FACT:

if I went a 25 mile radium from my school I'd cross the attendance zone of 6 other high schools. Heck, I'd be able to draw from 3 additional schools from 2 other states.

Im not saying LCS doesn't have a great program. I'm saying Charter schools can do something no other schools can. So don't get high and mighty on here and tell me the "virtues" of this school vs that school. If LCS had to follow the attendance zone rule of the local HS it resides within, how many of their basketball players could even play there?

FACT: Charter schools should have their own separate division within the NCHSAA playoffs. It wouldn't damage LCS or any other Charter. I don't know why that concept hurts your feelings so much.

FACT:

if I went a 25 mile radium from my school I'd cross the attendance zone of 6 other high schools. Heck, I'd be able to draw from 3 additional schools from 2 other states.

Im not saying LCS doesn't have a great program. I'm saying Charter schools can do something no other schools can. So don't get high and mighty on here and tell me the "virtues" of this school vs that school. If LCS had to follow the attendance zone rule of the local HS it resides within, how many of their basketball players could even play there?

FACT: Charter schools should have their own separate division within the NCHSAA playoffs. It wouldn't damage LCS or any other Charter. I don't know why that concept hurts your feelings so much.
Pass out the kleenex.

Pass out the kleenex.

The people that should be embarrassed are you guys that think you're accomplishing something great by loading up a 1A team from your AAU programs. Congrats. The funny part is you guys come on boards like this and try to talk up the "coaching" or the "virtues" of your poor kids and schools that have to do so much "extra" to get your due. Its laughable. Whatever you have to do to talk yourselves into believing it. Good luck.

By the way...are you a fan of the "diploma mill" getting shut down? or the Harvard of the Dry Pond? Either way....good luck net week.

Reactions: MRC3
You can say that about a lot of schools. My issue is since basketball isn't an even playing field to which I agreed then come the insults about their academics. If it were an academic thread I get it. No one else's academics is under a spotlight and I'm sure Prep isn't the only school struggling. I don't like the undertones of the comments. Let's just put it out there.

I'm not attacking the majority of the academics of most of those schools as I have taught in two charter schools and my kids attended one for several years. I am however pointing out that none of the traditional public schools in NC can take in kids that live outside of their attendance zone and them be immediately eligible to play sports. I hate to tell you but there is one school in particular in NC that is a charter that takes kids from out of state, puts them up in a house with other athletes and they compete in NCHSAA athletics with other public schools. But no, that isn't an advantage. I'm not talking about foreign exchange programs either....I'm talking about residents of other states coming here specifically to play sports.

SouthTexasCoach is it possible that you could provide more info on the charter doing this?

South texas...you made an allegation of cheating by a specific school with specific activity. What is the name of the school?

South texas...you made an allegation of cheating by a specific school with specific activity. What is the name of the school?

Does it really matter? Unless you work at the school or are a fan that knows it is going on and feel guilty?

By the way, an "allegation" would be me accusing someone. I KNOW for a FACT this is happening. Let's leave it at that.

“We have some good athletes and I would hope with 2,000 students we would have some good athletes,” Bryant said , this is a quote from chief administer at Lincoln Charter in the Lincoln Times news , article was talking about the Lottery system.

Does it really matter? Unless you work at the school or are a fan that knows it is going on and feel guilty?

By the way, an "allegation" would be me accusing someone. I KNOW for a FACT this is happening. Let's leave it at that.

Now I may be feeling "guilty"????

Damn right it "really matters". You say you KNOW for a FACT ...no way do you now get to "leave it at that".

Ill leave it with a charter school in the triad. And I know due to a previous job in which I interviewed the athlete and the father. I had to do it via a conference call (since dad was in the kids home state) and the athlete told me himself that he lived in a house with other athletes and he transferred from "out of state".

Not good enough. You say that a school is cheating so name it! You say that it is a charter school in the triad that is in the NCHSAA. What charter school in the triad competes in the NCHSAA? Waiting on the answer.

Last edited:
Ill leave it with a charter school in the triad. And I know due to a previous job in which I interviewed the athlete and the father. I had to do it via a conference call (since dad was in the kids home state) and the athlete told me himself that he lived in a house with other athletes and he transferred from "out of state".

Sounds like QEA but they don't compete in NCHSAA, I don't know of any non public schools in Winston-Salem that compete in the NCHSAA (bishop is in Kernersville).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT