ADVERTISEMENT

Your school's priority?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWE'98

Aug 17, 2010
LONG POST ALERT!!
Those that know my posts, know that neither I nor most of the SW Edgecombe faithful are happy with our current head coach, who is in his 3rd year. So far, he's 6-14 overall and 1-3 this season. I do think that the team will win a few more games this year, but as of right NOW, I would love to see him relieved of his duties, JUST BASED ON THE RESULTS ON THE FIELD. Apparently, he's doing an outstanding job academically with the students, and was just recognized as the Edgecombe County Schools employee of the month. I have pasted the entire notification below. And after reading it, it makes me fearful that he will remain on the sidelines for a little while longer. And so my question is... I know that there are some horrible coaches that have jobs because of their classroom success, and I know that there are coaches who are excellent that couldn't even tell you their principal's names. Which do you think YOUR school prioritizes?

Congratulations to Mr. Carter Varnell, ECPS Employee of the Month!

Coach Varnell has changed the instructional outcomes for our football community. During the 21-22 academic year, Coach Varnell ensured that regular communication with administration and counselors occurred during study halls so that students were aware of their GPA and ways in which GPA could be increased. This summer, when high school report cards came out, there was a line at the principal’s office so students could share their report cards and obtain their current GPA once the semester ended.

Using football as an equity move, Coach Varnell has organized many camps and fundraised so that students without the ability to pay to attend the camp are able to both attend the camp and have money for food during the travel.

Additionally, Coach Varnell has organized two major community events this summer to organize the football feeder programs. During three days of mini camps, SWE coaches and students work with Cougar Cubs, South, and West students to organize mini camps for younger students to experience. Our students were able to obtain leadership skills and enjoyed being a part of building the program. During the mini camp nights, Coach Varnell reached out to school leaders, such as newly named principal, Ms. Melissa Altemose, so that she was able to network with community members during the summer.

During CougarFest, where the community with come to SWE to watch Cougar Cubs and SouthWest practice together, there was no cost for the community to attend the event as Coach Varnell’s vision is about uniting the community, without cost being a barrier.

Most recently, Coach Varnell organized a site visit to Bulluck Elementary with SWE football players in order for the players to volunteer their time with our elementary feeder family students.

SWEHS commends the dedication of Carter Varnell to increase opportunities and outcomes for our students. We celebrate his work and his innovative ideas to increase student achievement.

Last edited:
LONG POST ALERT!!
Those that know my posts, know that neither I nor most of the SW Edgecombe faithful are happy with our current head coach, who is in his 3rd year. So far, he's 6-14 overall and 1-3 this season. I do think that the team will win a few more games this year, but as of right NOW, I would love to see him relieved of his duties, JUST BASED ON THE RESULTS ON THE FIELD. Apparently, he's doing an outstanding job academically with the students, and was just recognized as the Edgecombe County Schools employee of the month. I have pasted the entire notification below. And after reading it, it makes me fearful that he will remain on the sidelines for a little while longer. And so my question is... I know that there are some horrible coaches that have jobs because of their classroom success, and I know that there are coaches who are excellent that couldn't even tell you their principal's names. Which do you think YOUR school prioritizes?

Coach Varnell has changed the instructional outcomes for our football community. During the 21-22 academic year, Coach Varnell ensured that regular communication with administration and counselors occurred during study halls so that students were aware of their GPA and ways in which GPA could be increased. This summer, when high school report cards came out, there was a line at the principal’s office so students could share their report cards and obtain their current GPA once the semester ended.

Using football as an equity move, Coach Varnell has organized many camps and fundraised so that students without the ability to pay to attend the camp are able to both attend the camp and have money for food during the travel.

Additionally, Coach Varnell has organized two major community events this summer to organize the football feeder programs. During three days of mini camps, SWE coaches and students work with Cougar Cubs, South, and West students to organize mini camps for younger students to experience. Our students were able to obtain leadership skills and enjoyed being a part of building the program. During the mini camp nights, Coach Varnell reached out to school leaders, such as newly named principal, Ms. Melissa Altemose, so that she was able to network with community members during the summer.

During CougarFest, where the community with come to SWE to watch Cougar Cubs and SouthWest practice together, there was no cost for the community to attend the event as Coach Varnell’s vision is about uniting the community, without cost being a barrier.

Most recently, Coach Varnell organized a site visit to Bulluck Elementary with SWE football players in order for the players to volunteer their time with our elementary feeder family students.

SWEHS commends the dedication of Carter Varnell to increase opportunities and outcomes for our students. We celebrate his work and his innovative ideas to increase student achievement.
It’s all about he kids winning in life, tough when football team ain’t winning on the field

It’s all about he kids winning in life, tough when football team ain’t winning on the field
I guess it's a matter of what you prioritize. I mean, how many schools hire a coach based on what he brings to the classroom? Don't get me wrong, that's nice and all, but I bet there are some schools that probably don't care as much, just as long as you're winning on the field and courts. Just curious to see if there are some programs that care more about one than the other. If I had a say at a school, I wouldn't expect the coaches to be outstanding teachers off the field, just like I wouldn't expect teachers to be outstanding coaches.

Reactions: UNC_91 and dogs79
I guess it's a matter of what you prioritize. I mean, how many schools hire a coach based on what he brings to the classroom? Don't get me wrong, that's nice and all, but I bet there are some schools that probably don't care as much, just as long as you're winning on the field and courts. Just curious to see if there are some programs that care more about one than the other. If I had a say at a school, I wouldn't expect the coaches to be outstanding teachers off the field, just like I wouldn't expect teachers to be outstanding coaches.
I don’t think that coaches have to be great academic instructors. But if they don’t value and prioritize their kids’ academic progress, they don’t need to be there, no matter their coaching skills or records. Teaching life skills is equally as important as win/loss record.

LONG POST ALERT!!

Same is going on at SWO. Which blows my mind as well. As a football coach you have to win on the field period. Teachers and parents have to do their job to make sure the classroom is up to par, not the coach. But some don't understand this. It's a hard place tto navigate tbh. SWO coach has ran so many kids off for many reasons, an imo because of classroom academic issues. Longtime coach Phil would go to bat and have all his players back, to make sure everything got figured out in the classroom. At SWO, coach can't relate to certain kids and they feel left out to dry.

I want my football coach to WIN FOOTBALL GAMES !!! Personally I don’t think a coach should have to do anything but coach football. A coach needs to keep the kids in line on class works and grades. But bottom line is football and building great men on and off the field That’s just my opinion

Agree 10000000% Win FOOTBALL GAMES period..

SWE’s slide started well before the current coach. I went down for the playoff game a few years back vs North Davidson. Terrible crowd, zero excitement and to be honest, the school staff didn’t know much about the game when contacted by phone to get a feel for when the gate would open, etc.
The quote from the employee who answered the phone that Friday around lunchtime before the game, “there is a game tonight?”

The slope at SWE has been slippery for years.

Preferably a coach can handle both duties. What good does it do to keep a player eligible to play ball but basically ineligible to further his education at the next level?

I love high school sports. Loved to play it and love to watch and talk about it. It’s great for the community. Too many of these kids still believe that sport is their way out of poverty when education is much more likely the vehicle.

When I graduated there was an opportunity to play baseball at some
small schools but even with the school playing 50% my mom and dad would have to stroke a decent sized check for me to play. Stopped playing ball and stayed at home to go UNCW. I was fortunate to realize I was better academically than I was athletically. Very tough decision for me at the time. I feel fortunate to at least have had a choice.

Very tough decision for these young men because of what sport means to our ego and sometimes self worth.

In the end, a degree or trade is much more likely to support the family than playing ball.

Community and fans need a coach that can put a winning product on the field. The world needs educated kids. The player needs both.

SWE’s slide started well before the current coach. I went down for the playoff game a few years back vs North Davidson. Terrible crowd, zero excitement and to be honest, the school staff didn’t know much about the game when contacted by phone to get a feel for when the gate would open, etc.
The quote from the employee who answered the phone that Friday around lunchtime before the game, “there is a game tonight?”

This is a lot of football programs now a days.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC_91
I understand wanting to win. I get it. Are we actually discussing if a coach should be fired because he has players GPA up and giving back to community? I honestly believe there is a happy medium.
I can promise you in another 5,10,20,25 years from now coaching young men to be good students and great men will out weigh wins or losses.
With that being said, he might need to be a team advisor vs head coach.

They actually had a really good team that year and the year afterward. But when their current head coach took over they have hit rock bottom very quickly. And to be honest Southwest fans really don't show up unless Tarboro comes to town usually. To be honest the stadium also needs a lot of renovations , especially drainage wise. But after reading what @SWE'98 posted it doesn't appear their head coach is going anywhere anytime soon.

This post is exactly what is wrong with our youth, our parents, our fan, and society. How in the heck do you put sports over academics or even ask the question? We aren't talking college or professional where they rake in millions/billions of $$$. We are talking about high school where about 2-5% actually go to the next level. Oh, and to get to the next level you have to have this thing called academic GPA and test scores to back it up. Instead of posting a backhanded comment toward a coach that actually teaches, why not praise him for leading more young men/women to what SHOULB be the most important tool they have in their bag...ACADEMIC desires. Maybe the talent pool has slipped, it goes in cycles especially at smaller schools. I've never understood why our society takes so many negative shots at people that do good. We have coaches/teachers that spent 4 years in college, took an additional 1/2 semester of education classes, took a Praxis I/II test, and each year has to take continuing education classes so they can renew every 5 years. Of course they are going to take academics, which they should, seriously. The sad thing about this post is 1) some actually agreed SMH 2) If the coach was winning and half the kids were ineligible it would be a different post 3) When did we start putting sports before academics?
Sorry to bust some of your bubbles but if you are out there teaching young kids that sports are their meal ticket, you are setting them up for failure. Kids need to learn that NOT EVERYONE can be an athlete and make it...that is life. That is a lie!!! Now, if you put your head into academics, sure the sky is the limit. But not everyone can be 6 ft., run a 4.3, or jump out of the gym. It is okay to play HIGH SCHOOL and move on focusing on academics and it is up to the coaching staff to make sure that is the direction kids go...Why is that frowned upon?
Kudos to ALL the coaches that push academic success in their program no matter the win/loss record. You will impact more kids by holding them accountable for academics than playing a sport I promise. No one will remember in 3-5 years what you did in sports no matter how many wins/losses you produced. But each kid you held accountable to academics will ALWAYS apprecaiate their caoch pushing them to be better...PERIOD!!!
We have to be better and stop pushing negative narratives.

I’m a huge supporter of our coaches in this great state and they help this site be possible with their support as well. This post really upsets me because these folks give so much of their time to shape our young adults. I honestly cannot believe this first post. This is high school for goodness sakes not professional or college sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT