ADVERTISEMENT

How is this right?

Big43, QEA had a pretty dang good squad last year. Were they a little down this year compared to last year? Last year's squad was enormous...had 6-7 guys over 6'5".

As far as the rest of this conversation. There are several charters with quality programs and quality educations. I absolutely believe they have the right to compete in the NCHSAA and compete in the playoffs. I just simply believe they should have their own separate division where they compete with other like schools that work within the same rules and standards. That's all I'm saying. Call it the charter school division or whatever you want but that's what I believe should happen.

I'm still trying to think of a "Charter" in the Triad that is a member of NCHSAA. Sure know it's not in Winston-Salem and Bishop is not a Charter. I can't think of one in GSO or HP either.

According to NCHSAA website:

Charters in the middle of the state.

Gray Stone Day
Uwharrie Charter

Chatham Charter
Raleigh Charter
Research Triangle
River Mill Academy
Woods Charter

Last edited:
The poster said it was in the Triad area meaning Winston-Salem/Greensboro/High Point area.

I posted schools in the middle part of the state.

The difference between Denver, NC and Denton, NC is the same as the difference in Denver, Colorado and Denton, Texas.
I have been to Denton,NC below Thomasville once and never been to Denver and did have them mixed up. What is the big deal , honest mistake . Not sure I have ever heard of Denver and did not know where it was.

The poster said it was in the Triad area meaning Winston-Salem/Greensboro/High Point area.

I posted schools in the middle part of the state.

WS is in the Triad....WS-P is in the Triad but I wasn't talking about them.

I'll be the first to admit when I am wrong and I confused QEA being in the NCHSAA and WS-P being in the NCHSAA. QEA is the school I was thinking of.

I still stand by my statements that charters should have their own division. Like I said....I think they have every right to play for state championships but just believe they should be playing against other charters.

WS is in the Triad....WS-P is in the Triad but I wasn't talking about them.

I'll be the first to admit when I am wrong and I confused QEA being in the NCHSAA and WS-P being in the NCHSAA. QEA is the school I was thinking of.

I still stand by my statements that charters should have their own division. Like I said....I think they have every right to play for state championships but just believe they should be playing against other charters.
Big difference between QEA and WSP, hard to imagine you got them mixed up.This is how all the crap gets started.

Sorry not speaking as a Moderator, just a poster.

All this talk and it was QEA. They do not play in the public association. Personally I think that setup is border line cert shady and I would not be surprised to see them have issues like Kestrel Hgts.

If you are a little older and a true NC sports fan you will know Denver NC as the home of Howard's Furniture softball. Also, East Lincoln HS.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Big difference between QEA and WSP, hard to imagine you got them mixed up.This is how all the crap gets started.

Sorry not speaking as a Moderator, just a poster.

First off, I didn't call out a school by name. Others were pushing for that. I didn't get the two schools mixed up...just the fact the one was in the NCHSAA and the other wasn't. Speak as a moderator or a poster either one...I clarified my statements.

AND I STILL stand by my view on charters.

First off, I didn't call out a school by name. Others were pushing for that. I didn't get the two schools mixed up...just the fact the one was in the NCHSAA and the other wasn't. Speak as a moderator or a poster either one...I clarified my statements.

AND I STILL stand by mt view on charters.

Where do you coach? And which one beat you?

They didn't beat me but I Coach at a 1a public school. What kind of iron do you have in the fire that you have to ask that question? That's how "Crap gets started" as you say, right?

I've coached at the high school level (1a/2a/3a in NC) and the college level. I've had the same view on Charter schools always. It isn't about losing to one. That's part of the problem...people think this is all some bitterness when it isn't. As a "moderator" shouldn't it be your job to observe, direct and not take sides?

Reactions: MRC3
They didn't beat me but I Coach at a 1a public school. What kind of iron do you have in the fire that you have to ask that question? That's how "Crap gets started" as you say, right?

I've coached at the high school level (1a/2a/3a in NC) and the college level. I've had the same view on Charter schools always. It isn't about losing to one. That's part of the problem...people think this is all some bitterness when it isn't. As a "moderator" shouldn't it be your job to observe, direct and not take sides?
Not taking sides, but you created quite a stir, when pressed for who you were talking about it wasn't even a school that is a member. With all those creditials one would think you would know who were members of NCHSAA.

Also, as a college coach I bet you recruited players from those Charter schools.

Last edited:
Not taking sides, but you created quite a stir, when pressed for who you were talking about it wasn't even a school that is a member. With all those creditials one would think you would know who were members of NCHSAA.

Also, as a college coach I bet you recruited schools from those Charter schools.

Yea...I recruited FROM Charter schools not FOR Charter schools. Big difference.

Let's be clear...I don't think every Charter school cheats. I never made that statement. So don't get me confused with that.

I coached in a conference with Northern Guilford when they were stripped of their state title so I know regular public schools break the rules as well.

This isn't about that. I think that ALL Charter schools should be in a separate division within the association. That's my feeling.

Yea...I recruited FROM Charter schools not FOR Charter schools. Big difference.

Let's be clear...I don't think every Charter school cheats. I never made that statement. So don't get me confused with that.

I coached in a conference with Northern Guilford when they were stripped of their state title so I know regular public schools break the rules as well.

This isn't about that. I think that ALL Charter schools should be in a separate division within the association. That's my feeling.

Don't totally disagree with you on Charters, just see how easy it is to confuse Charters with private schools which certainly play by different rules. That is all I am saying.

AND I STILL stand by my view on charters.

Funny thing when a poster likes to post what they say are "FACTS" and "I didn't call out a school by name" after saying for a FACT "not an allegation" that a member school is blatantly cheating. On top of that he now says that he is a coach at a 1A public school after coaching in 2A and 3A. Lying through his teeth and still using CAPS....priceless

Does it really matter? Unless you work at the school or are a fan that knows it is going on and feel guilty?

By the way, an "allegation" would be me accusing someone. I KNOW for a FACT this is happening. Let's leave it at that.

Since you directed this at me I have no problem suggesting that if you really are a coach your butt should be fired

Since you directed this at me I have no problem suggesting that if you really are a coach your butt should be fired

And my facts were facts...the event was happening at a charter. The only mistake I made was that particular school wasn't in the NCHSAA AND I admitted that but they are still taking public funds from NC students. Take that for what it's worth.

You are a waste of time man. You need to go back and read my posts again. I never lied through my teeth...and I corrected my mistake.

Your idea of a fireable offense is pretty laughable. You have nothing better to do with your time do you?

SouthTexasCoach send Deana an email and give her your info. She will keep it confidential and solidify your position.

I think you made an honest mistake but I am very shocked with your resume that you would not be definitive on knowing QEA does NOT (edit to add, erroneously omitted) abide by the NCHSAA nor play in the Association.

Last edited:
SouthTexasCoach send Deana an email and give her your info. She will keep it confidential and solidify your position.

I think you made an honest mistake but I am very shocked with your resume that you would not be definitive on knowing QEA does abide by the NCHSAA nor play in the Association.

Appreciate the thoughts and info. Like I said before, I'm not against charters at all. The QEA thing and NCHSAA was my mistake and I owned up to that one....that's why I posted it on the board so those upset about it would know that. I knew WS-P was in the association and just lumped QEA with it by mistake....but stand by the info shared.

Honestly, I'm fine with charters and their attendance rules, etc...my issue is just throwing them in with all the publics since their qualifications are so different. I just think it would be fair for all involved if they added an extra division specifically for charters. No harm done and I honestly didn't mean to seem I was attacking anyone individually. Have a good one.

Winston-Salem Prep is not a Charter School. It is under the Winston-Salem Forsyth County School System and abides by their districting rules and regulations.

Winston-Salem Prep is not a Charter School. It is under the Winston-Salem Forsyth County School System and abides by their districting rules and regulations.
Which is open enrollment for all of Forsyth Co to & just as unfair as the charter & private schools which have no boundries. I agree with SouthTexasCoach and don't mind playing them but they should have their own playoff......

FNL,

I just want to ask you if you know Mt Airy's policy about transfers.

I know in the past everybody has "benefitted' in some way or another with transfers.

I know here in Yadkin, a kid cannot go to Starmount unless they live in the SHS district. I have had a cousin that lives 2 miles from me to attend Elkin ( in another county). I also have another cousin (lives in SHS district) that attends East Wilkes but their father is a teacher there.

Please define boundary!

WS-P is similar to Highlands School of Technology in Gastonia....they can take students from any of the high schools in Gaston County. WS-P can do the same.

I'm done with this thread. It just ruffles feathers.....the majority of Charter fans/supporters see nothing wrong with being able to draw students from across multiples schools or districts and those that aren't will continue to call for change and point out the disadvantages. I'll continue to say charters have a place, but in athletics they should simply have a separate playoff bracket.

Either way it doesn't matter in the end. We all like to talk sports...on this topic it ends up like politics. LOL I'm not here to make enemies.

FNL,

I just want to ask you if you know Mt Airy's policy about transfers.

I know in the past everybody has "benefitted' in some way or another with transfers.

I know here in Yadkin, a kid cannot go to Starmount unless they live in the SHS district. I have had a cousin that lives 2 miles from me to attend Elkin ( in another county). I also have another cousin (lives in SHS district) that attends East Wilkes but their father is a teacher there.

Please define boundary!
Definition of Boundary - you can go play anywhere you want to in NC high school sports !!

I see it as any school system that don't have the advantages that Forsyth Co charter & private schools .In the case of Surry Co. Mount Airy City & Elkin City the boundaries are the city limits and Surry has 3 county schools East Surry ,North Surry & Surry Central with area (boundaries) set up by the county that that if you lived in a certain area you are asigned to go to one of the 3 county schools. Unlike open enrollment Forsyth Co. with one school system Surry Co. has 3 systems Surry Co,Mount Airy City and Elkin City school systems.
Now around 15 or more years ago was talk of making surry co. one school system and as I heard it Elkin was the hold out and did not want to consolidate to one system.Mount Aiy may have been against it but I did not hear it that way at the time. As I said that was hear say at that time and I personally don't remember what the news papers had to say but this is what I personally see as boundraies in surry county. Also unlike Forsyth Counties Population: 361,220 Surry County only has Population: 73,050 divided into 3 school systems and ony 5 high schools ,3 are 1-A & 2 are 2-A....I would like to hear other posters define what they see as boundary schools, that is my thoughts.

Last edited:
I know that in the county that there are 3 school systems: Surry County, Mt Airy City, and Elkin City.

My question was can a student living in Pilot Mountain attend Mt Airy? Can a kid living in Mt Airy city limit attend North Surry?

Just wondering.

I know that in the county that there are 3 school systems: Surry County, Mt Airy City, and Elkin City.

My question was can a student living in Pilot Mountain attend Mt Airy? Can a kid living in Mt Airy city limit attend North Surry?

Just wondering.
As long as they follower the 365 day rule or move to the area they want to go to school is what i have always heard. Do you know of any loop holes ?

Last edited:
Imagine that next year the charters had their own classification for the playoffs. WSP would still be in the regular 1A class. They are a magnet. I think they have a bigger advantage than about any 1A school due to the county open enrollment with no 365 sit out.

The NCHSAA must come up with a plan but as long as you have 1A "traditional" schools that have questionable transfer policies it would very hypocritical for the state to only focus on the charters.

Imagine that next year the charters had their own classification for the playoffs. WSP would still be in the regular 1A class. They are a magnet. I think they have a bigger advantage than about any 1A school due to the county open enrollment with no 365 sit out.

The NCHSAA must come up with a plan but as long as you have 1A "traditional" schools that have questionable transfer policies it would very hypocritical for the state to only focus on the charters.

Wsfcs is a mess you have five schools within a 5 mile radius 4A (East) 2a's (Walkertown, Atkins Carver) and 1A prep. All the schools are being under utilized with Carver already established it did not make any sense build two new schools Atkins and Walkertown or create Prep. Without open enrollment I don't see a way they could gerrymander enough to create districts at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT