ADVERTISEMENT

Hough at Grimsley - 4th Round

Green Valley Grill at the Ohenry hotel 2 minutes away. Lucky 32 is 300 yards from Jamison Stadium. There a 50 plus great restaurants within minutes of Grimsley on Battleground rd.

You know our bread and butter is double tights and run right at you, which we had success doing. However, we went 3x1 more this year because we wanted to than we ever have before. Most of the time, except late, we went 3x1 because that's what we wanted to do. Not because we got desperate.
Guess they assumed they could do it even though everyone has had pretty good success running on them, oh well.

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
The “holier than thou” attitude they have is nauseating.
The only team in this state that recruits better is UNC. Not that much of their big time talent is from their district. For example, they have a RB who “transferred” there from us. He lived in Olympic’s district.
Their coach then goes out there saying all he cares about is impacting lives. Must want to do that so much that he brings in kids from other schools to impact their lives too.
Disagree as Grimsley rivals Hough in recruiting the last 4 years (great incentives)!

This problem isn't just a Grimsley or Hough problem. This has been going on nationally for quite awhile. For example, I don't know about actual recruiting, but when Palmieri was at Mallard Creek with his powerful teams, MC always drew players. The same for Myers Park for a couple of years.

We can't forget about Dutch Fork in South Carolina coached by Tommy Knotts. The Silver Foxes hardly had any winning seasons until coach Knotts got there. He arrived at Dutch Fork in 2010. Since that time, the Silver Foxes have won over 100 games and have 6 state titles. In the six seasons before his arrival, Dutch Fork went 35-39.

Did the Irmo area all of sudden have great football players being raised and living in the area? Coach Knotts is a great coach. With no inside information, I can virtually guarantee, he's gotten some great players from moving into the district because he's coaching there.

In the private school arena in Charlotte, Providence Day is drawing players there. Yes, I know, the privates are a different matter, but still the principle is the same. Providence Day is a similar school to Country Day, Latin and Christian. Do any of you really think that Chad Grier has built that powerhouse over there, just because they have more students that are good football players?

In the Virginia High School League, the same thing is happening there. Kids are moving to take part in the best programs for the exposure.

Many of you have perhaps known about Martinsburg High School in Martinsburg, WV. Martinsburg has a population of around 19,000. It's the sixth largest municipality in the state. I used to live up there in Hagerstown, MD (Martinsburg is part of the Martinsburg/Hagerstown statistical area). The high school has an enrollment of roughly 1,450 students. I've been familiar with some of what had been going on up there as well. Does anyone really think with the city's population and the school's enrollment that Martinsburg has won 9 state football championships with just home grown talent attending their neighborhood school? Especially since Martinsburg isn't the only school in Martinsburg. Spring Mills High School, in Martinsburg, went 4-6 this season and Martinsburg beat them 63-0.

The state of Florida has open enrollment for athletics throughout the state.

Forsyth county here has open enrollment. Yes, Coach Willert is a very good coach, but I'm sure EF has received benefit from open enrollment there.

People accuse Charlotte Catholic and Cardinal Gibbons of recruiting. People talk about Hough and Grimsley getting players from other schools.

The state of Georgia has restricted open enrollment for public schools. Parents can send their kids to any public school within their school district, as long as the school has room. In some cases, parents can send their kids to any school outside of their district. Does Buford High School have 100% live in district, home grown talent?

I think it's beyond time to stop thinking that every school, and I don't care where in this state or nation we're talking about, always does well with 100% home grown, live in district talent. They may have to live in district, but less and less are home grown in the district.

Let's stop expressing shock that some good to great teams are drawing talent from other districts and areas. If you think it's bad here, take a look at St. John Bosco or Mater Dei in California. Or take a look at IMG Academy in Florida or St. Frances Academy in Maryland.

Football, even in high school, is big business now. This is especially true when you consider that football scholarships may be some players only way to get to college, and/or parents pushing or leading their kids into sports specialization.

Let's not forget about NIL. The Richmond Times-Dispatch had an article about how some players are marketing themselves with QR codes https://richmond.com/sports/high-sc...cle_ccc4c44c-1788-50cb-8a3a-818adea99652.html. Let's stop expressing shock. It's not a Hough or Grimsley thing. It's everywhere!
Boom and you said it BIG business to where HS kids and fam are receiving benefits to
Go to certain places. Yes, it happens all over and only magnified when those teams are winning.

Reactions: reddawg01
Green Valley Grill and Lucky 32 are really good restaurants but not sure how early you would need to get there on a Friday night. I was at Green Valley last Saturday nght with a 6:30 reservation and was there 2 hours. For quicker more fast casual I would recommend Ghassans on Battleground. it's very close and has a good steak and cheese sub, gyro on pita ,chicken kabob platter, etc. You order at the counter and they bring it to you so typically fairly quick. It's local and they have been in business for a long time .Another place - also close that has great reviews and started out as food truck and now is a restaurant is BensBoyz at Friendly Center. it is hearty comfort food and people rave about their meatloaf. I've never eaten there but also an option. If you eat at the game the concession stand has standard fare- Zaxby's chicken sandwiches, pizza,hot dogs with the exception being a local favorite Neese's sausage dip served with nachos.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
City Barbecue is pretty good if you like smoked meats and that fare. It's straight down Lawndale, maybe a mile and a half or so. Pastabilities is pretty good as well, it's an Italian type spot, There's Hop's Burger Bar, really good burger spot. All these places are due north of Grimsley and about a mile or 2 from the school.

Last edited:
The “holier than thou” attitude they have is nauseating.
The only team in this state that recruits better is UNC. Not that much of their big time talent is from their district. For example, they have a RB who “transferred” there from us. He lived in Olympic’s district.
Their coach then goes out there saying all he cares about is impacting lives. Must want to do that so much that he brings in kids from other schools to impact their lives too.
So you're upset someone transferred from Catholic who lived in Olympic's district. Do you see the irony in your statement, Sir ?

Reactions: ocdavis31
Do you recall, or did you know, that the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School System spent well over $100,000 on lawyers and investigators for several months trying to prove that Coach Knotts had done ANYTHING illegal or unethecal, and the result of that investigation was ZERO. I honestly believe that given a couple of years, he could produce a winner at Garinger, which would be almost humanly impossible.

So far as being a "Charlotte All Star Team", it's pretty well known that while at Independence Knotts had one out of Independence district player, who was at Independence because an advanced academic program that he was eligible for was not offered at East Mecklenburg. He was a big time player, and not a scrub, but he was perfectly legal.

All Knotts recruited was some really great assistant coaches.
You can make an argument Butler had more talented teams from 2006 until he left. I think Butler’s 2002 team was right there with Independence in regards to talent. Knotts is a great coach with a great staff

Nolan Huaser 2024: 5 ⭐kicker,
Markell Quick: NCCU commit,
Eagan Boyer: 2024 3⭐OT,
Samari Matthew:2026 DB, numerous power 5 offers
Tad Hudson: QB, UNC commit
Branden Palmer: Edge, Georgia Southern commit
SeQuan Osborne: WR, Howard Univ commit
Jack Berlin, OG, Davidson College commit
JT Smith Jr: RB, has numerous mid-major offers

Hough is loaded with numerous other guys. Very difficult to follow their roster, as guys just show up like the Matrix 😂
Imagine doing all that work and having no Rings to show.

Reactions: Veejay4
Imagine doing all that work and having no Rings to show.
A couple years ago the list was even longer with more high D1 talent, and still nothing. We will see tonight. The Hough program finally learned that they should probably lay low on social media and keep things with a lesser profile, because all the verbal commitments they were advertising on twitter in the summers was putting an unnecessary target on their backs.

Reactions: nepsy7
Grimsley muffed a punt return, Hough recovered and scored on a FG after getting down inside the 15.
3-0 Hough

Hough kicker fails to sail it into the endzone, Grimsley cookin after a return to their own 35.
Hough intercepts the ball but its reversed, pass interference on Hough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT