ADVERTISEMENT

Hough at Grimsley - 4th Round

PagePirates44

Aug 15, 2004
Okay at this point I cannot hide it (and I may even hate to admit it). Grimsley looks to be the favorite now. This will be the 3rd Charlotte team coming up to Greensboro to face the Whirlies at Jamieson, with many people questioning if they can out grind Catholic in low scoring phone booth battle, or if they could keep up and play enough defense to out score Indy in a shoot out. I don't foresee Grimsley making the same mistakes that EF made and we've seen that they have multiple guys who can get it done on offense too, in case there is an injury. Hough has a great defense and specials, but can they score enough points to beat the G?

Reactions: cimsies
Catholic nor Independence is Hough…. Respectfully lol… Probably the fastest defense I’ve seen this year with Chambers a close second. I do worry about their offense sometimes but for some reason they always seem to score just enough. 14-7 or 10-7 type of game.

The immovable object vs. the irresistible force. An excellent matchup of strengths with Hough’s defense going up against the Whirlie offense. Perhaps the game will be decided on Hough’s ability to move the ball on Grimsley.

It appears Grimsley has a tendency to allow some points. No shutouts this season. They’ve given up more points in 3 games in the playoffs than Hough has allowed all season, including 37 pts to the 32 seed. I think Hough’s O will get rolling and their D will hopefully have another solid Friday night.

Grimsley must slow down Hough’s D-line to have a chance to implement some plays to establish multi level threats. Better get some designed rollouts and short passes to extend the run game if you can slow down the edge rush. Going to be a long night if you can’t get Hough’s D-line slowed down. Don’t know squat about Grimsley’s current team so my perspective is based off what I saw from Hough Friday night.

Grimsley offensive balance is impressive. The ran the ball for 355 against Indy. If Hough puts 7 or 8 in the box to stop the run, then they must single cover Grimsley wideouts at their own peril.

Hough will have 6-7 in the box. Their corners are young but will be ok. CC got out of character by trying to go 3x1 too much, Indy ran the ball very effectively but panicked when down 2 scores and tried to throw it too much. Not to say G wouldn’t have won but they out coached the other teams. Hough does have issues scoring it seems but that defense, whew.

Hough's kicker will make a minimum of 2 field goals. (Bank it) Their offense has problems with teams, that match up with them athletically. Grimsley will definitely match up with them athletically. I would say Hough is good for 2 to 3 field goals and one score. Score more then 16 and Grimsley wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Veejay4 and cimsies
Hough's kicker will make a minimum of 2 field goals. (Bank it) Their offense has problems with teams, that match up with them athletically. Grimsley will definitely match up with them athletically. I would say Hough is good for 2 to 3 field goals and one score. Score more then 16 and Grimsley wins.
I don't see Grimsley matching up with them like Chambers and Mallard Creek.

Hough has been held to 21 or less by three teams: Chambers, Mallard Creek (twice) and East Forsyth. I wouldn't quite put Grimsley in that category on defense.

Hough's offense leaves a lot to be desired, but their defense is stout. It's a game of matchups and maybe Grimsley will be able to come up with something different that EF couldn't do against them.

Grimsley's defense is okay, and that may be enough against Hough's offense.

I do see Hough pulling out the victory though.

Okay at this point I cannot hide it (and I may even hate to admit it). Grimsley looks to be the favorite now. This will be the 3rd Charlotte team coming up to Greensboro to face the Whirlies at Jamieson, with many people questioning if they can out grind Catholic in low scoring phone booth battle, or if they could keep up and play enough defense to out score Indy in a shoot out. I don't foresee Grimsley making the same mistakes that EF made and we've seen that they have multiple guys who can get it done on offense too, in case there is an injury. Hough has a great defense and specials, but can they score enough points to beat the G?
Our D (EF) pretty much had them bottled up for the most part first half. We only gave up 10 pts against them. I haven't seen Grimsley D enough to say much but yall may flip the field better than we did to help your D out.

Grimsley has scored at least 4 TDs every
game and more than 5 in all but two. And that’s with running clock and/or ball control in nearly every 2nd half. Grimsley 20-13.

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
Interesting match ups for sure.
Grimsley's high powered offense against a great Hough defense.
Hough's offense isn't bad, but not great. What do they have on the offensive line? because Grimsley's defensive front is really good.
Grimsley's defense isn't bad, but not great either.. What can Hough do through the air? is the QB accurate? can he go deep?

Hough's offense isn't bad, but not great. What do they have on the offensive line? because Grimsley's defensive front is really good.
Grimsley's defense isn't bad, but not great either.. What can Hough do through the air? is the QB accurate? can he go deep?
Hough’s QB is committed to UNC. I would say that his accuracy and arm strength are both pretty good.

I would never say this, when were playing Hough. I thought it would jinx us, and the QB would have a Superman night. He’s serviceable QB at best. Makes me wonder about being a Carolina commit.

Reactions: Veejay4 and cimsies
I would never say this, when were playing Hough. I thought it would jinx us, and the QB would have a Superman night. He’s serviceable QB at best. Makes me wonder about being a Carolina commit.
My thoughts exactly. I think projection got Carolina to offer him early-on. I don’t see him playing a down at Carolina.

This game will be about the matchups. Strength on strength (Hough D versus Grimsley O) and weakness on weakness (Hough O v Grimsley D). IMO, this game will be decided by which team outperforms in the 2nd matchup. Grimsley D has given up a lot of points but Hough O has been functional at best against top competition. I don't think Grimsley will hang 40 on Hough so the question will be whether they can slug it out in a low scoring, physical, smash mouth dogfight. EF couldn't.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I smell a 24-20 type of score line, both teams better not be scared to kick a field goal or 3.

This game will be about the matchups. Strength on strength (Hough D versus Grimsley O) and weakness on weakness (Hough O v Grimsley D). IMO, this game will be decided by which team outperforms in the 2nd matchup. Grimsley D has given up a lot of points but Hough O has been functional at best against top competition. I don't think Grimsley will hang 40 on Hough so the question will be whether they can slug it out in a low scoring, physical, smash mouth dogfight. EF couldn't.
I wouldn't exactly call Hough's offense a weakness, unless you call 34.8 ppg a weakness. Their D is definitely a strength at 6.5 ppg. Grimsley's O is a strength at 46.1 ppg and their D is functional at 19 ppg. For the playoffs, Grimsley's offense is humming along at 51.7 ppg. Their defense isn't humming quite so much at 34.3 ppg. The average point differential is +17. Hough, in the playoffs, is scoring 27.3 ppg, with their defense giving up 4.3 ppg. The average point differential being 23 ppg. Is Grimsley going to hang 51 on Hough's defense? I strongly doubt it. Depending on how well they play, they may score 20. Dutch Fork only put up 27. If Hough's offense only remains playoff functional at 27, that would make them a one score favorite. But with Grimsley's D giving up 34.3 ppg in the playoffs, holding Hough's offense to their average of 34.8 ppg, could be a problem. Grimsley's D is going to have to really step it up in this game. To me, Grimsley's D is the key.

I wouldn't exactly call Hough's offense a weakness, unless you call 34.8 ppg a weakness. Their D is definitely a strength at 6.5 ppg. Grimsley's O is a strength at 46.1 ppg and their D is functional at 19 ppg. For the playoffs, Grimsley's offense is humming along at 51.7 ppg. Their defense isn't humming quite so much at 34.3 ppg. The average point differential is +17. Hough, in the playoffs, is scoring 27.3 ppg, with their defense giving up 4.3 ppg. The average point differential being 23 ppg. Is Grimsley going to hang 51 on Hough's defense? I strongly doubt it. Depending on how well they play, they may score 20. Dutch Fork only put up 27. If Hough's offense only remains playoff functional at 27, that would make them a one score favorite. But with Grimsley's D giving up 34.3 ppg in the playoffs, holding Hough's offense to their average of 34.8 ppg, could be a problem. Grimsley's D is going to have to really step it up in this game. To me, Grimsley's D is the key.
Hough's Offense against Dutch Fork, Chambers and Mallard Creek twice, average was 16.25 points. Does Grimsley have a defense on the scale of those teams?

Reactions: Kylar2018
Grimsley's defensive line is really good -- big, physical, quick. They are undersized in quite a few spots at Linebacker and at Safety/Corner. They do stick the two 6'3 D1 wideouts at DB in certain situations, though.

The Key will be if Hough can get going and run to the outside off the edges, and try to get those big guys up front running around.

Reactions: onioncfb
Not saying that Hough's offense or that Grimsley's defense is weak, but that against top competition they rely on different parts of their game. This is more a relative than an absolute perspective. Grimsley's offense has lit up the scoreboard but they needed most of those points as the defense has shown itself to be a little porous against top competition. I agree with you that the performance of Grimsley's D will probably be the key to the game. Against their best competition, Hough's offense has done what it needed but not much more. Their defense has literally strangled their opponents. I think this game will be fun to watch on multiple levels. I have made the statement in a number of games that it would take 5 touchdowns to win it and it has held. In this game, I don't think the winner will get past 20 points. I could be setting myself up for a nice plate of crow but think points will be very precious in this one. Hough in a nail biter.

Reactions: dw4444
Hough will have 6-7 in the box. Their corners are young but will be ok. CC got out of character by trying to go 3x1 too much, Indy ran the ball very effectively but panicked when down 2 scores and tried to throw it too much. Not to say G wouldn’t have won but they out coached the other teams. Hough does have issues scoring it seems but that defense, whew.
We were not out if character, when you have a power 5 QB you throw the ball more. Was 100% in our gameplan to throw regardless of score.

Grimsley's defensive line is really good -- big, physical, quick. They are undersized in quite a few spots at Linebacker and at Safety/Corner. They do stick the two 6'3 D1 wideouts at DB in certain situations, though.
Grimsleys DL can be really good if 55 wouldn’t take off 70% of plays.

Reactions: ecu424
What’s CCs bread and butter? 3x1?
You know our bread and butter is double tights and run right at you, which we had success doing. However, we went 3x1 more this year because we wanted to then we ever have before. Most of the time, except late, we went 3x1 because that's what we wanted to do. Not because we got desperate.

Reactions: btango
Definitely Grimsley. 5 star DL 4 star Dline several 3 star WRs and QB.
Nolan Huaser 2024: 5 ⭐kicker,
Markell Quick: NCCU commit,
Eagan Boyer: 2024 3⭐OT,
Samari Matthew:2026 DB, numerous power 5 offers
Tad Hudson: QB, UNC commit
Branden Palmer: Edge, Georgia Southern commit
SeQuan Osborne: WR, Howard Univ commit
Jack Berlin, OG, Davidson College commit
JT Smith Jr: RB, has numerous mid-major offers

Hough is loaded with numerous other guys. Very difficult to follow their roster, as guys just show up like the Matrix 😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT