ADVERTISEMENT

Hoggard 24 SC 21 Final

Bailey & the rest of his staff should be fired. All this talent and lose twice this season. Bring back Chip Williams.
This post was edited on 11/28 10:00 PM by Football-Friday

flush.r191677.gif
Season down the toilet!

This post was edited on 11/28 10:01 PM by Football-Friday

This post was edited on 11/28 10:02 PM by Football-Friday

Originally posted by Football-Friday:
Bailey & the rest of his staff should be fired. All this talent and lose twice this season. Bring back Chip Williams.
This post was edited on 11/28 10:00 PM by Football-Friday
LOL! Richmond and Scotland fans lose a couple games and want to fire the entire staffs.
roll.r191677.gif

SC has a bright future. Their QB made some mistakes but he also ran hard and is a strong kid. Hoggard defense shuts out SC in the second half. I think they had 3 first downs after half time. Keevin Thompson was the man tonight. He put the team on his back and got the win. On to NB.

Originally posted by Football-Friday:
Bailey has had overwhelming talent everywhere he's ever coached, but still has zero trophies on his shelf. Surely people can't be all that surprised by this outcome.

Scotland beat RC and you had the coach as coach of the year now he should be fired!! Come on guys loose with class! Great job Hoggard!!

Great game Hoggard and Port! Penalties and a stingy Defense by Hoggard in the 2nd half killed us. Thompson is a stud for you guys.

You would have to be an idiot to call for Bailey's head. Our starting QB (preseason player of the year) is lost and we advance to the 3rd round of the playoffs. I would consider that a pretty damn successful season. I'll take Bailey and his staff any day of the week. 58-5 the past 4yrs is pretty impressive, not to mention most of our starters returning next season. I'm excited where we're at and where will be for the future of this program.
Also, glad to see we have some haters, it lets you know we're doing something right!

This post was edited on 11/28 10:35 PM by Scottish Imp

This post was edited on 11/28 10:36 PM by Scottish Imp

Port, Hoggard was the better team tonight. They showed they could play with anyone, congrats to the Vikings. Now go beat new bern and win state.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Congrats to Hoggard. Its always fun to slay the dragon. Congrats to Scotland as well... rough start to the year but they hung in. I am sure most Scotland fans have a real perspective on what's important after this year.

I think I will toot my own horn a little here. As I posted earlier in the week:

1. Thompson (Hoggard RB) and Reynolds (Hoggard MLB) would be the best 2 players on the field. CHECK.

2. Hoggard has the best defense. CHECK but only by a nose.

3. Special teams could be a factor. CHECK as the Scotland muffed punt snap at the Scotland 5 set up a short one play TD to tie the game at 21-21 early in the third quarter.

4. Hoggard would not beat themselves. CHECK - ZERO penalties and ZERO turnovers for the Vikings.

5. Hoggard could not consistently move the ball through the air. CHECK.

6. Thompson had to have a big night in order to win. CHECK - Hoggard had no other legitimate scoring threat.

7. Game was a toss-up. CHECK.

8. Hoggard would win if Scotland did not execute on offense. CHECK - Numerous false starts, holding penalties and the fumble on Scotland's last drive near midfield are why the Scots lost.

Now some other observations:

1. I was a little disappointed with the crowd and the energy. The crowd was much smaller than a Hoggard - New Hanover game. The Scotland side was full but there were some empty seats on the Hoggard side. I realize it is a very cold night but I expected a better crowd.

2. I don't remember the last time I saw a high school game where one team had 12-15 penalties including several for holding and the other team had ZERO penalties. It is truly amazing that Hoggard could run that many running plays and not be called for a hold one time when Scotland is called for 5 -7 holding calls. I guess kudos are in order for the Hoggard OL.

3. Penalties made a difference. In the first Scotland possession a hold hurt the drive that ultimately resulted in a Scotland punt. The hold on the big kickoff return by Scotland just before half hurt as Scotland would have had it first and 10 at around the Hoggard 25 with about 25 seconds left before half. The roughing the QB call on the Hoggard drive after an incompletion on third and 8 around the Scotland 40 was huge and led to the Hoggard TD to cut it to 21-14 just before half. Holding calls on 2 of Scotland's first three drives in the second half were critical.

4. Hoggard had everything go their way tonight and that is a credit to the Vikings. This was truly a game that on paper Scotland should have won by 17+ points but that is why the game is not played on paper.

5. The Hoggard adjustments on defense at halftime were on point as Scotland was completely shut down in the second half.

6. I have seen every Scotland County team in the last 5 years and this is the least impressive of them all to me. Now, I also will say that Scotland and New Bern are HEAD AND SHOULDERS above any other 4A team in eastern NC over that time frame. I will also say that Scotland has some very impressive players who are back for 1, 2 or 3 years.

Now for next week. New Bern 35 - Hoggard 14. (Unless New Bern gets flagged 15 times to Hoggard's zero and the Bears turn it over a few times and botch a snap on a punt at their own 5 - in that case New Bern 21 - Hoggard 17).

Originally posted by Scottish Imp:

Great game Hoggard and Port! Penalties and a stingy Defense by Hoggard in the 2nd half killed us. Thompson is a stud for you guys.

You would have to be an idiot to call for Bailey's head. Our starting QB (preseason player of the year) is lost and we advance to the 3rd round of the playoffs. I would consider that a pretty damn successful season. I'll take Bailey and his staff any day of the week. 58-5 the past 4yrs is pretty impressive, not to mention most of our starters returning next season. I'm excited where we're at and where will be for the future of this program.
Also, glad to see we have some haters, it lets you know we're doing something right!

This post was edited on 11/28 10:35 PM by Scottish Imp
This post was edited on 11/28 10:36 PM by Scottish Imp
That is a great point. This SC team has overcome a lot and that is not easy to do. I saw #2 throwing a little before the game and it was absolutely heart breaking. It's one thing to be very good every year but it's another to play for championships every year. There is always some other very good teams out there. Some come out of nowhere and some have been around for years. The Scots will prob be right back in this game next year.

Diamond,
You did a great job with your assessment. Hoggard did not go flagless tonight. SC did get flagged much more and to be honest I thought their WR got away with some holding. Hoggard got away with a pass interference. Hoggard made a mistake on a punt as did SC. Hoggard defense in the second half was the difference. You are also right about NB, we have no,chance to beat them.

Port - I don't remember a flag on your Vikings. I am sure I could be wrong. There certainly was not a flag on Hoggard that made a difference in the game.

You are right about the botched punt snaps. Both teams had one. Hoggard's gave Scotland first and 10 near midfield. Scotland's gave Hoggard first and goal at the Scotland 5.

I also appreciate your "we have no chance" posturing. I don't pretend to know as much about Hoggard as you do, however I have some pretty close contacts over on Shipyard and I know the Hoggard staff felt pretty good about your chances tonight. They thought that if they could get to the Scotland game with Thompson and Reynolds healthy then they had more than a puncher's chance. They were right. You can grin and ride the "we have no chance" rhetoric only so far and that train has now left the station. New Bern is at least 2 TDs better than both Hoggard and Scotland. I am not saying Hoggard can't win next week but unlike I predicted for the Scotland game, Hoggard and New Bern is NOT a toss-up game. I see the Bears winning and I don't think it will be real close. Just my thoughts. As always, we shall see.
This post was edited on 11/28 11:22 PM by Diamonds are forever

Originally posted by Diamonds are forever:

Port - I don't remember a flag on your Vikings. I am sure I could be wrong. There certainly was not a flag on Hoggard that made a difference in the game.

You are right about the botched punt snaps. Both teams had one. Hoggard's gave Scotland first and 10 near midfield. Scotland's gave Hoggard first and goal at the Scotland 5.

I also appreciate your "we have no chance" posturing. I don't pretend to know as much about Hoggard as you do, however I have some pretty close contacts over on Shipyard and I know the Hoggard staff felt pretty good about your chances tonight. They thought that if they could get to the Scotland game with Thompson and Reynolds healthy then they had more than a puncher's chance. They were right. You can grin and ride the "we have no chance" rhetoric only so far and that train has now left the station. New Bern is at least 2 TDs better than both Hoggard and Scotland. I am not saying Hoggard can't win next week but unlike I predicted for the Scotland game, Hoggard and New Bern is NOT a toss-up game. I see the Bears winning and I don't think it will be real close. Just my thoughts. As always, we shall see.
This post was edited on 11/28 11:22 PM by Diamonds are forever
My "posturing" isn't really for you but to a select few.

Originally posted by Diamonds are forever:

Port - No worries. I respect your posts and next week should be fun. I just wish it would warm up a little.
Same to you.

Originally posted by lovethembears:
Congrats Port and T Roy. I heard first hand the Vikes played a helluva game. Safe travels next week.
Go Bears!
Thanks. Wish we were at home but at least I will partake of some great BBQ.

You know it! I have an olive branch I'd like to extend to you. Look me up. your boy Ben and I are good friends. Hope to meet you next week.
Go Bears!

@ Daimond i'll give you an observation do you believe this S##T you wrote its called the home team cheating, and then it amazes you no penalty called on hoggard Wow, one more observation take this crew with you to New Bern that the only chance you have.................

Originally posted by lovethembears:
You know it! I have an olive branch I'd like to extend to you. Look me up. your boy Ben and I are good friends. Hope to meet you next week.
Go Bears!
Will Ben eat at Moores? If so we are on!

Originally posted by Scots9000:
Port, Hoggard was the better team tonight. They showed they could play with anyone, congrats to the Vikings. Now go beat new bern and win state.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Thanks 9000. I hope we can keep it respectable. You guys had a great turn out and a great season.

Originally posted by btango:
How is Coach Braswell doing?
He is great. He walked with a walker for about three games and the a few weeks without it but moved slowly. Now he moves around normal even with a pep,in his step when he gets excited or upset. I have spoken with his wife a few times and she said he is doing great.

@ Sikner 51 - I am by no means a Hoggard fan so the comments about home cooking directed at me are misplaced. I offered a breakdown of the game earlier in the week and was pretty much spot on. I said in my pre game analysis that "turnovers, injuries and penalties" can never be predicted. I certainly would never have predicted the complete disparity in the penalties from last night. The crew last night was from outside the area as once you get to the third round there are no more local crews. There may have been some cooking last night but it was not home cooking. Call it room service.

After a night of rest, the thing I took from the game was Hoggard's second half defensive performance which was mostly a case of Hoggard winning one on one match-ups all over the field for two quarters. It was impressive and validated my pre game statement that Hoggard would have the better defense. I also think that the lack of a decent vertical passing game from both teams makes both one dimensional and resulted in an old fashioned "3 yards and a cloud of dust" defensive brawl in the second half and that played right into Hoggard's hands.

Well to start with we are 13-0 and When we are this good us and New Bern play great games. In the Josh Taylor years there has been few to beat the Bears. About last night in the first half our defense was in position to make plays to stop drives but seemed to have a hard time wrapping up. One thing I said during the first half is that if our offense can keep up there is no way the Scots can beat us by only running three to four plays without a threat of passing. Turner makes great second half adjustments and we watch a ton of film. Also in the second half we just beat them up physically you could just see the defense knocking guys down all over the field in their one on one matchups. Scotland was very fast and pretty disciplined on the defensive side of the ball but Injuries the past few years causes people to sleep on how great Thompson really is. It is tough to stop him from getting three to 6 every time he touches it. Penalties hurt Scotland indeed but there was more that could have been called on both sides. Hoggard has played mistake free football for seven teen years strong and all season long so that should not surprise the avid follower. Excuses should not be made because this was one of the best games I have seen this year and excuses would take away from how hard each team played last night. Great season Scotland it's an honor to compete with such a tradition rich class A program as yourselves.

Originally posted by pride2die:

Well to start with we are 13-0 and When we are this good us and New Bern play great games. In the Josh Taylor years there has been few to beat the Bears. About last night in the first half our defense was in position to make plays to stop drives but seemed to have a hard time wrapping up. One thing I said during the first half is that if our offense can keep up there is no way the Scots can beat us by only running three to four plays without a threat of passing. Turner makes great second half adjustments and we watch a ton of film. Also in the second half we just beat them up physically you could just see the defense knocking guys down all over the field in their one on one matchups. Scotland was very fast and pretty disciplined on the defensive side of the ball but Injuries the past few years causes people to sleep on how great Thompson really is. It is tough to stop him from getting three to 6 every time he touches it. Penalties hurt Scotland indeed but there was more that could have been called on both sides. Hoggard has played mistake free football for seven teen years strong and all season long so that should not surprise the avid follower. Excuses should not be made because this was one of the best games I have seen this year and excuses would take away from how hard each team played last night. Great season Scotland it's an honor to compete with such a tradition rich class A program as yourselves.
Totally agree. We missed many tackles and I give them credit for running and cutting hard. I was impressed with how mentally prepared the Vikes were. They knew they had to play great to win. I know SC fans are disappointed but I hope they enjoy this ride they are on. Be careful what you wish. Things run in cycles as does great coaching staffs. There are tons of talented teams out there. Very few have the success that SC has enjoyed the past 4 years.

Congrats Port. Hoggard is a very good team. Maybe we can do it again next year. The Scots will be better next year than this year.

Originally posted by go_scots:

Congrats Port. Hoggard is a very good team. Maybe we can do it again next year. The Scots will be better next year than this year.
I agree. They have a lot of young players. I can see them being a top team the next two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT