ADVERTISEMENT

Hickory wins 3A Title

71st also won a 3A state title in 1970 or 1971 when 3A was the highest level in North Carolina. They were not undefeated but they did win the state title beating a Durham team in the process in the title game. I think but not sure they don't get credit for it because the east did not play the west then for a state title as they do now. So I guess they were 3A east title Champs and not "state champs".

The great SP defense of '22 had trouble with this offense LAST year but most with the QB. It looked to me like they were the hardest offense to stop during that playoff run...and the same Hickory kids are a year older now. I think many suspected they would be extremely good on offense this year.

Will the QB for Hickory purse for football or baseball when he goes to college. I know he is a good QB. Does anyone know if has any college offers.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
71st also won a 3A state title in 1970 or 1971 when 3A was the highest level in North Carolina. They were not undefeated but they did win the state title beating a Durham team in the process in the title game. I think but not sure they don't get credit for it because the east did not play the west then for a state title as they do now. So I guess they were 3A east title Champs and not "state champs".
3-A was not the highest level then.

I figured SOMEONE or two would go NFL off that 96’ Hickory team. I’m not sure any of them did. Cheerduck might know, or whoever else follows Hickory area like a hawk

Area players currently in that I know of : Maiden kid I forgot his name, Dickerson S Caldwell, Surrat brothers of EL and Lincolnton. A kicker from Hickory? And Shatley of EBurke

I figured SOMEONE or two would go NFL off that 96’ Hickory team. I’m not sure any of them did. Cheerduck might know, or whoever else follows Hickory area like a hawk

Area players currently in that I know of : Maiden kid I forgot his name, Dickerson S Caldwell, Surrat brothers of EL and Lincolnton. A kicker from Hickory? And Shatley of EBurke
And Nick Easton from Hibriten.(Former NFL and college at Harvard)

Caleb Farley - Maiden
Ryan Succop - Hickory

HHS had 22 players off that 1996 team that signed to play a college sport. Five had D1 football offers, followed the next year by 2 more D1 offers. The QB off that team, Daniel Willis, chose to play basketball at Lenoir Rhyne and became the South Atlantic Conference's 2nd all time scorer making D2 All American his last two years.
Michael Collins, an OL went Wake Forest, making All Conference and played one year for the Baltimore Ravens before getting a career ending injury playing for their NFL Europe team. This team will be hard pressed to ever compare to. They led the state in offensive scoring and defensive scoring during their championship run.

This year's team was quite different and managed to show what a team attitude can do for you. They didn't sand bag or hide, just lined up and played their game and beat you. HHS has lots of talent coming back next year, but I'll guarantee their road will be harder to any championship hopes with a big target on their back and all of the band wagoner's chirping about how they should repeat. I know one thing, Coach Glass will have those boys ready and they will be humble, but ready to beat you again.

Hickory was 4A at one point in a conference with Hunter Huss right?

When did Hickory drop to 3A?
I know that in 1985/1986 (my senior year) Hickory High had around 1600 students and we were 4A. I'm not sure when they dropped to 3A, but I'm sure reclassification has happened several times over the years, but I don't see the population going below 3A numbers or over 4A numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT