ADVERTISEMENT

Hibriten is the best team in the state regardless of classification.

Im same way. I really don’t stick to one team or one area. Sometimes I’ll be at South Caldwell, Hibriten- only playoff time, North Lincoln, Newton Conover, Maiden, Watauga, and Freedom. I’ll have to see this powerhouse Alexander Central team at some point too. Butch got it going on in Tater town.

Only gonna get better at AC. Both those middle school teams where really good last season

Reactions: Swo_05
Sounds like Hibriten won’t be the only big fish around here within the next few years. Seen the Taylorsville paper yesterday, might have been a few days old or more, pics of the players. Those are some big ole boys.

Alexander Central will never be more than a 2nd round playoff team....they can't compete with the Charlotte area teams when it comes to size and speed....hell look at last year...they lost in the first round to a 4-7 team.

Yes they have an improved Defense this year but they still haven't played anyone and won't until Watauga and Freedom.

I believe it was 2009 or 2010. Alexander Central was beating AC Reynolds in the 2nd rd and ended up losing a close ball game. AC Reynolds went on to win states that year. Alexander can compete much better in 3A than 4A but still has to deal with Catholic Dudley and Crest.

Didnt they beat hibriten in like 2010? Hibriten should have beaten west rowan that year, then onto state.

Reactions: beamer24
Alexander Central will never be more than a 2nd round playoff team....they can't compete with the Charlotte area teams when it comes to size and speed....hell look at last year...they lost in the first round to a 4-7 team.

Yes they have an improved Defense this year but they still haven't played anyone and won't until Watauga and Freedom.
This is very true. Sad to say, but this is a carbon copy of South Caldwell a few years back. They will look like a beast until they play a solid football team.... then a bust

Didnt they beat hibriten in like 2010? Hibriten should have beaten west rowan that year, then onto state.

yep they did- and promptly lost their 1st round game in the playoffs. I think HHS just didn't take them a seriously b/c of the 48-7 beating the year before.

How is Hibriten so good. It's not like that area is a hotbed of talent.

Last edited:
Coach Lewis has been with the program for close to 30 years. Coach Reeves has been with the program 20+ years. Coach Mackey turned the defense on and they have established a winning tradition since 2002.

Reactions: BL1
Coach Lewis has been with the program for close to 30 years. Coach Reeves has been with the program 20+ years. Coach Mackey turned the defense on and they have established a winning tradition since 2002.
very faithful coaching staff at Hibriten. I've said several times, DC Mackey was the missing piece for greatness at Hibriten. Also, it never hurts to have a back like Gee..... they only come around every 10 years or so.

Reactions: BL1
Its also community support,, its a fun place to watch a game, espically in nov and december. I think kids growing up watch these games and want to be out on the field when they get to high school. And they put on a show the way the team comes out.

very faithful coaching staff at Hibriten. I've said several times, DC Mackey was the missing piece for greatness at Hibriten. Also, it never hurts to have a back like Gee..... they only come around every 10 years or so.

i think there maybe another gee brewing on the jv team from what i have seen.. Maybe not quite as "shifty" but kids runs the ball really good.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Its also community support,, its a fun place to watch a game, espically in nov and december. I think kids growing up watch these games and want to be out on the field when they get to high school. And they put on a show the way the team comes out.
Yep. Coach Cannon helped get the youth programs solidified and the current staff is very helpful with continuing that.

yep they did- and promptly lost their 1st round game in the playoffs. I think HHS just didn't take them a seriously b/c of the 48-7 beating the year before.

I still remember that beating like it was yesterday. At that time i was working in Taylorsville, and thats all I heard, we gonna beat y'alls ass like there's no tomorrow. Yak yak yak...and they brought everything but the kitchen sink out for that one. All those motorcycles and all that noise, and Hibriten beat the hell out them. Towards the end of the 1st quarter you coulda heard a pin drop on the AC sideline! Needless to say, got quite a bit of cash outta that 1 then turned it around on them all and bought them all lunch with. Made it even worse lol

Ac and Hibriten will be playing each other again starting next year in non conference. Ac is dropping north Iredell, North Lincoln and burns and picking up Hibriten, South Iredell, and Statesville. I've never been a big fan of a weak non conference schedule. It will be good to start off against better competition. It will only make you better in the long run

Ac and Hibriten will be playing each other again starting next year in non conference. Ac is dropping north Iredell, North Lincoln and burns and picking up Hibriten, South Iredell, and Statesville. I've never been a big fan of a weak non conference schedule. It will be good to start off against better competition. It will only make you better in the long run
And good gates as well.... wished they played this year, both teams seem to be pretty good.

Can’t blame them there at all for the drop and change. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and all three of those had good teams off and on. North Iredell not so much. This years North Lincoln matchup should be interesting at least for a couple quarters. Last year was close and North returns a great bruiser West Point commit RB and a couple wideouts that can catch. NLs biggest downfall last year was their defense which has improved alittle. Not sure what’s going on at Burns. North scrimmaged Burns and scored a couple before being called off due to a storm.

Statesvilles a great rival in its own sense and these 2 have a pretty good series kinda like with Hickory.

In place of who for Hibriten though?? I would hope Ashe Co since I know it wouldn’t be either of the county schools( although I’m for picking up better competition for them as well)

Hibriten will have to prove to me that they can compete year after year. They won one. Lots of teams have won one state and never returned to the state. Maybe you have two good years and then that is it. We will see. There isn't anyone in your conference that can challenge you. A very weak conference.

Hibriten will have to prove to me that they can compete year after year. They won one. Lots of teams have won one state and never returned to the state. Maybe you have two good years and then that is it. We will see. There isn't anyone in your conference that can challenge you. A very weak conference.
Hibriten has been competitive since 2002 and have played in 3 western finals prior to last year as well as several 3rd round appearances. Hibriten doesn't have the history of a Shelby but they have been competitive for years.

Reactions: seadog28
Hibriten has been competitive since 2002 and have played in 3 western finals prior to last year as well as several 3rd round appearances. Hibriten doesn't have the history of a Shelby but they have been competitive for years.

No question, Beamer. But, you guys have a tough edge now that hasn’t been there. Used to be. Damn, Hibriten is good, but hit them in the mouth for 4 quarters and they’ll lay down. Not now!

I personally want Hibriten to join the ranks of state power houses. However, the Shelby fan is right, West Rowan used to be absolutely dominant...same for Northern Guilford, now those teams are just happy to have a 6-5 season...kinda depressing. Hopefully Hibriten sustains a winning tradition for years to come.

Yes sir, probably will not have a drive for five in lenoir,,,, but there is a drive for 2 going on right now and dam sure proud of that!!

why does hibriten need to prove that to you? As far as i am concerned they dont really have anything to prove to anyone. Its high school kids playing football, if they dont win another championship it really means nothing. They play in the conference the adults set up for them to play, if its weak its weak.

Man, we're just happy that a team from this area finally wins a championship. Between Freedom and Hibriten there have been a number of teams that could have but didn't. Two will be nice, but happy for one!!

Reactions: beamer24 and BL1
The Shatley year at East Burke, one of Biggerstaff's years at West Caldwell, is about it for this area other than Freedom & Hibriten. Obviously not including Hickory which has a proven tradition.

RIGHT!! And seadog has hit the nail on the head,,, These last couple hibriten teams have been different. I mean hit you in the mouth different, and thats come from mackey, i would guess he is the difference that has made hibriten the team that can win at the state level. I know the conference is weak and probably not many teams will even score on this defense,, but that develops confidence, and these kids seem to have that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT