ADVERTISEMENT

Haywood County 8-0

Don't think so. Not sure under the new format how many will get placed out of the 3A. If West goes, they may. I'll have to look at the ADM's again.

I was hoping Erwin would get to play someone local like that not in our conference. With our record we will get a low seed and Tuscola will get a high seed. It would be a really fun 1st rd game.

I'd kill for Erwin Tuscola game. Would be fun to watch. Two wwaaayyyy different philosophies.

It would be a fun one for sure. I have a feeling Erwin will get shipped somewhere like Crest or Weddington 1st rd. If we could win out we would be 7-3. I hated the pod system because we would have ended up playing Asheville or Reynolds again. Glad that mess is gone. I am assuming Pisgah will not be 3aa right?

Pisgah and Tuscola will both be small 3A. Based on history and the adms for next year's realignment.

Yes we did! What's bad not one kid from Havelock was picked either. Number 1 school in the state and it has no one worthy of playing in the shrine bowl?

Yes we did! What's bad not one kid from Havelock was picked either. Number 1 school in the state and it has no one worthy of playing in the shrine bowl?

Agreed. If CJ Thompson cany get it when he is breaking state and national records weekly, who will. The wnc teams should just start our own game.

no dog in this argument. but is it really that big of an advantage to get on top of the press box? from the way it sounds im thinking they should be kept seperated and in different pressboxes. just my opinion. and this game is a great rivalry. one of the best in the state no doubt.

No you're right.. It's not that much of an advantage. It's just the principle of it all I guess.

I was hoping Erwin would get to play someone local like that not in our conference. With our record we will get a low seed and Tuscola will get a high seed. It would be a really fun 1st rd game.
They've made some changes to the format, from what I understand, that will probably eliminate some of the playing the team you played in Week 12 again. I was led to believe that there may be some travel again in the 1st round. Someone on the other board has already worked on a projected West bracket and we are 3A. Crest and somebody else east of here are on the fence for big or little.

My guess is we all be playing schools from Morganton down towards Gaston Co. on this end, if we get there.

Reactions: BD Warrior
Agreed. If CJ Thompson cany get it when he is breaking state and national records weekly, who will. The wnc teams should just start our own game.
I was reading an old Bob Terrell column today from the 70's when he was still a sports columnist. It was when the NCHSAA allowed 4A to play a state final but kept everyone else in the regional championship only format. He harped about creating a Mountain Athletic Association and mentioned a Lions Club game that apparently was wished for but couldn't gain state approval.

I can see wrestling and basketball coaches having fully grown heifer if that idea ever gained traction.

I was reading an old Bob Terrell column today from the 70's when he was still a sports columnist. It was when the NCHSAA allowed 4A to play a state final but kept everyone else in the regional championship only format. He harped about creating a Mountain Athletic Association and mentioned a Lions Club game that apparently was wished for but couldn't gain state approval.

I can see wrestling and basketball coaches having fully grown heifer if that idea ever gained traction.

Very interesting. It would be fun to see a wnc allstar game. Maybe split the teams by region and play somewhere like wcu. It will never happen but it would be fun. I should have known we get the shaft again after Rico Dowdle was snubbed originally last season.

A WNC all star game would be great. Be a good way to put maybe a few more kids in schools. Did Rico go to the combine? I thought he didn't go to it? Wasn't there a petition to get him on the team?

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Very interesting. It would be fun to see a wnc allstar game. Maybe split the teams by region and play somewhere like wcu. It will never happen but it would be fun. I should have known we get the shaft again after Rico Dowdle was snubbed originally last season.
Yeah sort of a Blue-White game for football would be cool, especially as a fund raiser for a Mountain area cause and WCU would be an ideal location. I just think the winter sports coaches would go bananas. Getting the state to sanction it might not be so hard if you could get politicians on board to squeeze them a bit.

In 1962 Boyd Allen from Canton was selected as Shrine Bowl head coach,Cliff Brookshire from Brevard was one of the assistants.They picked one kid from Enka,three from Canton,2 from Brevard ,2 from Glen Alpine,one from Boone.One of the down East sports writer asked them why they picked all those kids from the mountains.Boyd answer was" because we want to win".South Carolina has won the three previous years.Final score in 62,North Carolina 14-7.

I wish coach Gentry would back out of coaching this year's shrine bowl. He's a great coach and all of wnc knows that. I think if he would it maybe would open some eyes.

I wish coach Gentry would back out of coaching this year's shrine bowl. He's a great coach and all of wnc knows that. I think if he would it maybe would open some eyes.
Do the coaches not have input on the roster?

Besides that, who says it's supposed to be equal? Your a visiting team. Ever hear of home field advantage?
Besides that, who says it's supposed to be equal? Your a visiting team. Ever hear of home field advantage?
Wonder how PHS coaches would like to film from the window of WMS building BEHIND the stadium? YOu can see "just as well" from there too, right?

Mule, I'm sure our coaches wouldn't mind as long as the head sets worked. Unlike those candy asses in Uptown.

Yeah Mule didn't you know that the coaches who work in Canton are so much tougher and hard nosed compared to the coaches in waynesville? haha I guess they make them so much more rugged in the scary "Milltown"

Last edited:
This being a TV game, it'll be interesting to see how it interrupts the flow of Tuscola's offense. It'll give Brevard's defense a chance to rest. I feel like in the Pisgah/Asheville game it slowed Pisgah's offence down, kept it out of rhythm. If it had been a regular game, I feel like Pisgah would have scored a couple more times.

You were right, it did hamper us, we only scored 42 this time.

I felt like the TD pass to the TE right before the half took Brevard's spirits. They knew there were too many weapons to overcome. Tuscola scored on special teams, FB dives, counter, toss sweep, and through the air.

When your suppose to have a massive air attack, and you are content to run the ball down 42-0 in the third, you've given up on your kids. The kids followed suit. Shame on Brevard's coaching staff for not fighting to the end. Apparently they battled back vs Franklin. Wonder what changed tonight.

Brevard had a lot of drops tonight. That being said, they were beat when Jenkins took it to the house, Had they watched no film from before Smoky? They started with the quick out pass like Smoky moved the ball on Tuscola in the 2nd half. They got 5 yards on the first one then steadily only 2-3 yards afterwards.

As long as teams wanna kick it to Jenkins, they will have to live with the result. Imagine if Ferguson actually played on KO Return. I guess teams would just kick it outta bounds and hope the defense could hold. Never seen a Tuscola team with this much speed.

best qb ever in wnc? hmmmm im not sure about that. brosius was a n outstanding talent no doubt and tuscolas best for sure. but i dont think he was in shulers class. the streeter kid at sylva webster was amazing as well. im sure im leaving several more out but those 2 will be talked about for a long long time. brosius had a great career as well . if memory serves me well both shuler and streeter had multiple state championships as well.just my opinion .

Congrats to Tuscola on the convincing win. Ferguson is a GREAT player and was a difference maker on both sides of the ball.

Tough L for Brevard, but they've got to regroup as the remaining games should be wins until the Pisgah game.

Congrats to Tuscola on the convincing win. Ferguson is a GREAT player and was a difference maker on both sides of the ball.

Tough L for Brevard, but they've got to regroup as the remaining games should be wins until the Pisgah game.
You have good size and some talented players. If your QB and receivers had connected better, might have been a different dynamic. He was putting it in their hands for the most part.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT