ADVERTISEMENT

Harding at East Forsyth

ForsythFootball

Nov 23, 2014
Lexington
To my understanding Harding is very one sided. The can run the football and that's about it. Ive seen a lot of Charlotte people act like East may lose this game and I'm not sure how so what am I missing here. Seen a lot of people saying East still has a QB problem and i offense.

East solved the QB problem Week four by starting the younger and better QB. I'm also hard pressed to believe they have an Offense problem either

If you don't defend the run well you may be in for a game. Harding can throw a bit, but not really that well.
#27 is one of the best RBs I have ever seen. Kind of like Hood almost in terms of how big he is, how hard he runs and such. Already got offers from Clemson and Michigan among others.
They run the single wing which has proved to be the perfect offense for them.
If your run defense is stout you should be good. Catholic shut them down up 46-0 at half and held that kid to 50yrds on out 1st team D so I know they can be stopped, but not sure what EF brings to the table in terms of run D.
I think EF will win this handily though, may be close early but the Eagles will pull away.

East is a 2nd half team also, they outscored opponents over 100 to 14 in the lAst 5 games. I think East will come to play as they are hitting on all aspects of the game

From my understanding nothing? Which is why I'm confused how this is a good game. This team reminds me a lot of high point central bad team, good running back. I just don't see East Forsyth having a dogfight with Harding. Harding better not throw the football because the east Forsyth trio virtually has the skies locked down. Two division one db's and a division one safety as well as three division one defensive lineman. I think East wins this one

I think the Charlotte guys you're referring to are saying it could be interesting for a while, I don't think they're discrediting East at all, they've proven they're a state power. Well coached and battle tested. Harding is just playing really well on the offensive side of things the 2nd half of the season. I'm sure they would love to hear the East Forsyth point of view too.

I am a Charlotte guy. There is no reason this should be close. That said there was no reason the Providence game should have been close in 2014 and they beat you. So, maybe that has something to do with the hesitation.

I think after the Providence game, EF takes it one game at a time, one opponent at a time. Just guessing they (kids) may have looked over an opponent and it bit them...understand the hesitation completely and of course in the playoffs anything can happen if you don't show up with your A game or think you have the game in the bag before you play.

Do I think East can and will defeat Harding yes. Do I think Harding can give East some problems, yes I do. I think overall East wins and moves on, but they will have to continue to play like they have in the previous 5 weeks.

My gosh people, if 5-6 East Mecklenburg can beat Harding 56-6 then East Forsyth will beat them 70 Harding 0. No way it's close! Here's another thing, Coach Willert is on record as not being too fond of Charlotte teams.

East Forsyth put 58 on NorthWest Guilford last week

and I'll say this: NorthWest Guilford will give 10-1 Myers Park all they can handle... The Park will be on upset alert when the game starts. They couldn't have drawn a worst 1st Rd matchup. Ask Richmond Co. a couple yrs ago.

Last edited:
I will take the bait.....why does EF coach not like Charlotte teams? I get the losing part, but what's the issue with the 704? Sincerely interested, spill the goods man.....

I will take the bait.....why does EF coach not like Charlotte teams? I get the losing part, but what's the issue with the 704? Sincerely interested, spill the goods man.....
Cause he cannot beat them in big games. Pretty simple to me.

My gosh people, if 5-6 East Mecklenburg can beat Harding 56-6 then East Forsyth will beat them 70 Harding 0. No way it's close! Here's another thing, Coach Willert is on record as not being too fond of Charlotte teams.

and I'll say this: NorthWest Guilford will give 10-1 Myers Park all they can handle... The Park will be on upset alert when the game starts. They couldn't have drawn a worst 1st Rd matchup. Ask Richmond Co. a couple yrs ago.

I will give you this. No matter how much of an idiot your predictions make you look you just keep throwing them out there.... LMAO

Last two times NW Guilford traveled down to Charlotte?

2014- 34-15 loss to Providence ( Same Providence team that beat that juggernaut East Forsyth the following week)

2015- 56-13 loss to Mallard Creek.... Completely embarrassed an 11-1 NW Guilford team. Think that's the team that beat Richmond. NW Guilford looked like a middle school team that night.

Now suddenly they are a nightmare draw... :) Gotcha.

[ Here's another thing, Coach Willert is on record as not being too fond of Charlotte teams.

.[/QUOTE]

Cant imagine why??

2015 loss to Mallard Creek- Ended Season
2014 loss to Providence- Ended Season
2012 loss to Butler- Ended Season
2011 loss to Indy- Ended Season
2010 loss to Butler- Ended Season
2009 loss to Indy- Ended Season

2016 Loss to Catholic LMAO

Hmmm.....

B&G22....man, sure would like to see ND beat them before they even got a chance to play Catholic. Realize that's a tall task with some of our defensive performances the last 2 months, but if our offense is clicking like it usually does and we get a few breaks, you never know. You can throw your support the ND way for that game, we ain't too proud for a little out of town love!

This Charlotte guy doesn't think EF is in any danger of losing this one, but Harding is on a roll right now and their RB is about as big time as it gets, so I'm expecting to see some fun fireworks for a half or so.

A little bit of advice, though...I would put this Harding team away as soon as the opportunity arose, because they will be very dangerous if they are allowed to hang around. This isn't a typical #8 seed walkover like what everyone is used to seeing in past playoffs.

Harding gives up a lot of points. What's going on the defensive side of the ball?
They suck on defense. Their winning streak to make the playoffs involved lots and lots of offense, energy and enthusiasm...and not much else.

I think after the Providence game, EF takes it one game at a time, one opponent at a time. Just guessing they (kids) may have looked over an opponent and it bit them...understand the hesitation completely and of course in the playoffs anything can happen if you don't show up with your A game or think you have the game in the bag before you play.

Do I think East can and will defeat Harding yes. Do I think Harding can give East some problems, yes I do. I think overall East wins and moves on, but they will have to continue to play like they have in the previous 5 weeks.
I will say, East forsyth has Catholic vs Harding film and didn't share it to the players to stop any chance at looking ahead as well as temporarily taken down the North Davidson film. They are really getting the kids to focus one game at a time.

I will say, East forsyth has Catholic vs Harding film and didn't share it to the players to stop any chance at looking ahead as well as temporarily taken down the North Davidson film. They are really getting the kids to focus one game at a time.

GET OUT! WOW! That's amazing! They must be really serious this year? Watch out Charlotte. EF is not letting their players watch film of possible match up's down the road. They must be the 1st program to pull that off. They should write a book. That's a power move!

On record where? What are you talking about? Go back to the West Forsyth bandwagon please. And I know absolutely nothing about Myers Park but if they have living human beings on offense they will score at will. NW has a couple of nice athletes on the outside but football requires blocking and tackling and NW is allergic to both. So no, MP is not on upset alert.

I'm a NW Guilford fan and I for one hope East Forsyth can really get on a roll and pull it out this year. I think they catch a lot from Charlotte fans and fans over here in the triad and people don't really appreciate the job Coach Willert and his staff have done over there. That team was flat out awful back in the early 2000's. Willert has turned them into the most consistent team in the triad over the last 6 years or so. They play a pretty tough Triad Non-Conference schedule every year that includes West Forsyth, Tabor, and Page. Until this year Reagan was a really tough team as well and they always seem to lock up home field. I also hear a lot of negative things about East from fans on this site while saying a lot of positives about the teams they always play. The list Blue and Gold put up there wasn't against a bunch of cupcakes. The only real tough loss Willert and company had was against Providence and every team gets upset if you play this game long enough. I really like some of the stuff Coach Willert does and I really like his new Defensive Coordinator coach Beal who was at NW Guilford with Coach Woodruff when they upset a few really good teams in 2010,2011,2013. With all that said good luck to the Eagles and Good luck to the Vikings as they go to Meyers Park this week.

They suck on defense. Their winning streak to make the playoffs involved lots and lots of offense, energy and enthusiasm...and not much else.

Thanks Hokie. Beal is obviously a talent but requires the passing game to loosen up the defense, which has come on over the second half of the season. Finally settled on a QB. The kid is more talented than the one last year but not as dependable. Staff has done a great job with him though, so hope that continues. I'm looking forward to seeing this Harding RB everybody is talking about. EF has a great pass defense but has been run on at times. Should be able to jump out to a lead and force them out of their game plan though.

I have a hard time believing Coach Willert would say that he doesn't like Charlotte teams. That's a pretty bold statement...I could see some East fans saying they don't like Charlotte teams but not a Head Coach like Willert. From what I hear he's one of the most respected coaches in this area from his peers and he's up there with Gillespie, Norwood, Davis, and Snow

I have a hard time believing Coach Willert would say that he doesn't like Charlotte teams. That's a pretty bold statement...I could see some East fans saying they don't like Charlotte teams but not a Head Coach like Willert. From what I hear he's one of the most respected coaches in this area from his peers and he's up there with Gillespie, Norwood, Davis, and Snow

Just more baseless garbage from CPC.

Reactions: Warhead1
Ok, question for the East Forsyth fans that may know... how do you guys feel about your new defensive coordinator after the regular season? Looks like you guys had a great year on defense. As many of you know on here I've been a life long NW Viking fan and Coach Beal was here for a long time. You guys got a hell of a good guy in my opinion.

I'm a NW Guilford fan and I for one hope East Forsyth can really get on a roll and pull it out this year. I think they catch a lot from Charlotte fans and fans over here in the triad and people don't really appreciate the job Coach Willert and his staff have done over there. That team was flat out awful back in the early 2000's. Willert has turned them into the most consistent team in the triad over the last 6 years or so. They play a pretty tough Triad Non-Conference schedule every year that includes West Forsyth, Tabor, and Page. Until this year Reagan was a really tough team as well and they always seem to lock up home field. I also hear a lot of negative things about East from fans on this site while saying a lot of positives about the teams they always play. The list Blue and Gold put up there wasn't against a bunch of cupcakes. The only real tough loss Willert and company had was against Providence and every team gets upset if you play this game long enough. I really like some of the stuff Coach Willert does and I really like his new Defensive Coordinator coach Beal who was at NW Guilford with Coach Woodruff when they upset a few really good teams in 2010,2011,2013. With all that said good luck to the Eagles and Good luck to the Vikings as they go to Meyers Park this week.

LOL....admonish the Charlotte guys while forgetting it was one Forsyth guy who brought up how dangerous NW Guilford is and another Forsyth guy with the " insider" info on Willert not liking the Charlotte teams.....

Your exactly right, those were very good teams I put up there. 3 of the 6 state title winners which is my point. At some point EF actually has to beat one of these Charlotte powers. Not just show up and play close but walk off the field with the scoreboard showing more points.

2012 all I heard was how had EF got Butler at home it would have been a different game. Well then came 2015...still couldn't close the deal.

I don't think I admonished anyone...I just said I wish Charlotte fans would give East a little credit for the good job they have done over there. If you guys remember at one time many fans on here were saying that the Mallard Creek coach was the reason they couldn't win the big one. Now they are saying he's one of the greatest of all time. I really think coach Willert is a great coach and one day they'll get over the hump and when they do I hope people really give him and his staff the credit they deserved. They took that program from the gutter and have made them a State contender. In my opinion thats much tougher than taking over a new program or somewhere with a winning tradition and adding to it.

I don't think I admonished anyone...I just said I wish Charlotte fans would give East a little credit for the good job they have done over there. If you guys remember at one time many fans on here were saying that the Mallard Creek coach was the reason they couldn't win the big one. Now they are saying he's one of the greatest of all time. I really think coach Willert is a great coach and one day they'll get over the hump and when they do I hope people really give him and his staff the credit they deserved. They took that program from the gutter and have made them a State contender. In my opinion thats much tougher than taking over a new program or somewhere with a winning tradition and adding to it.

How about starting a program from scratch and actually winning 3 state titles in 9 years of existence. Something only a handful of coaches have ever done with established programs.

I just don't know what you want here. They have been to one regional final with Willert in place for 13 years. The first 8 years he had one team over .500??

There a good team and have been for the last couple of years but you make it sound like he should be mentioned in the same sentence as a Knotts, Barnes or Curling??

How about we wait on the hall of fame induction until he wins something more than the Forsyth county invitational trophy/

How about starting a program from scratch and actually winning 3 state titles in 9 years of existence. Something only a handful of coaches have ever done with established programs.

I just don't know what you want here. They have been to one regional final with Willert in place for 13 years. The first 8 years he had one team over .500??

There a good team and have been for the last couple of years but you make it sound like he should be mentioned in the same sentence as a Knotts, Barnes or Curling??

How about we wait on the hall of fame induction until he wins something more than the Forsyth county invitational trophy/
What the hell are you talking about? I'm not even an East fan I just think its funny that some Charlotte fans bash East every year or any team that's fans come on here to say that their team is good.

Just wondering Didn't the Mallard Creek coach say he had 20 D-1 Players on his Roster this year? How the heck do you lose any game with 20 D-1 Players on your team? That means you are playing HS football with a college roster. I don't care if you play 2 teams from SC!

Last edited:

We get it. Charlotte has earned the benefit of the doubt. I'm not going to pretend that east is on that level yet to legitimately compete for state titles year in and year out. It's been a nice run the last 5 years and i hope it continues. I'd really like to see tougher scheduling in the non conf but the county limits that so we'll do the best we can with west, tabor and page for now. But i can tell you that there are plenty of schools who would love to be where east is right now. They've taken a ton of heat over the Providence loss. But i can't recall any other bad losses in the last few years. The staff has learned from it, and i think it's shown on the field. No they haven't won the big one in the last 5 years since they entered the conversation, but how many schools have? East was the second best team in the state last year, the second best in 2012 and we'll see what happens this year. A select few on here make it very easy to rip Forsyth county. But give East credit for getting to the table, even if they haven't broken through with the big win yet. It took MC a few tries to get there too.

Reactions: Warhead1
What the hell are you talking about? I'm not even an East fan I just think its funny that some Charlotte fans bash East every year or any team that's fans come on here to say that their team is good.

Just wondering Didn't the Mallard Creek coach say he had 20 D-1 Players on his Roster this year? How the heck do you lose any game with 20 D-1 Players on your team? That means you are playing HS football with a college roster. I don't care if you play 2 teams from SC!

No he did not say he had 20 D1 players on the roster. If you you really want to know how do you lose with over 20 D1 players on the roster? Ask IMG! They had over 20 FBS players. They lost a game. East was the 2nd best team in the State last year based on What? Nobody has bashed EF! I have never seen a group of guys begging to be some type of power house, because of taking MC into overtime? The Way EF guy's do. They start off every post with, you know we took Nationally ranked MC into overtime! So what! You loss and you have no Trophy . You also have open enrollment so stop crying and play ball. Just like MC 5 years ago, you get no love for almost. Put on your big boy pants and stop crying. DAMN!

Sharing facts is not bashing! What conversation have they entered?

Last edited:

Sure you are an East fan. Anytime anyone says a word about East your the first one up talking about how the Charlotte guys arent nice to East Forsyth. The reality is they wouldnt even be brought up except the Forsyth fans just cant help making stupid statements. " Willert doesnt like Charlotte teams"

Of course he doesnt....he cant beat them. As far as losses the only ones that matter start Friday. 23-3 over the last 6 years. Last time they missed a regional final was 2010. EF has one trip in Willerts 13 year run. Its not even close. Keep hanging your hat on being the mythical 2nd best team. Its a good look.

In the words of Ricky Bobby, "If you ain't first, you're last"...In all honesty, if you don't win the big one at the end what's it matter anyways? Not many people remember who came in 2nd or who came in 4th, they remember the champion. Am I an EF supporter? Absolutely, born and raised there but am I as closed minded as some of the people that keep coming on here and making crazy statements? No. I want our guys to win it every year, but at some point I have to be honest with myself and the foundation of work the kids have had each year. It's one thing to be biased and one thing to be honest...from here out, just win the next 5 weeks and you're a champion and that starts with week 1 against Harding for EF.

Reactions: nepsy7
You have the Harding film?? OMG IM SHAKING IN MY BOOTS! Good luck finding anything in there that you can take seriously when game planning for Catholic lol that game was 46-0 at the half.

Forsyth, and anyone else wanting Charlotte info, Carolina Varsity is where you want to be for that.

I get why it's so easy to trash East on here. CPC and Forsyth are homers and provide tons of material to blast EF with. But read back through the thread - B&G brought up the Providence game from 2014 which started the same old discussion all over again. "East can't win the big game", "the poster boy for not being ready for prime time", blah, blah, blah... the fact is this team was terrible up until the last decade, and only in the last 5 years has there been talk of a shot at a ring. The 2013 and 2014 teams were good, but were not state caliber and it showed. The 2012 and 2015 teams were that good and pushed the eventual champion (who was better each time) harder than anyone else did. I know that's not good enough for you some of you guys, but it tells me that EF is knocking on the door. They've had 2 chances, one on the road and one at home, and they haven't closed the deal yet. Butler hasn't won in the last 3 years either so does that mean they can't win the big one anymore? Don't act like there have been all these chances where EF should have won but choked, it's just not the case.

I was thinking at the beginning of this year it was going to be more like '13 and '14, but they've come on recently so we'll see. Losing Nique Martin from last year was huge, Beal is great but can be shut down if teams can focus solely on him. The QB change didn't look too great at first and they actually went back to the original starter after the Page game because of it, but he got hurt and the young guy came back in and has been playing well since. He'll have to keep the O balanced. If he's off and teams can load up against the run, it's going to be real tough. On defense, the run D is the key. The Page RB had 200+ rushing yards on EF this year but most of that was on 2 busted plays. They bottled him up pretty good the other 25+ carries. The pass won't beat them so they gotta stop the run, limit big plays and win the turnover battle (sounds like most any football game). East handled their business last year against lesser opponents so I expect they will do the same this year until Catholic. Long way to go, but if they were to win it this year by going through CC, Dudley and Scotland (but not Butler or MC), I wonder what the discussion would be?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT