ADVERTISEMENT

Grimsley football

This is why I'm starting to follow the NFL more now than high school or even college. With NIL, the super conferences and apartment hunting at the high school level, the NFL doesn't play pretend. You KNOW you're watching the NFL. I get it. It is what it is. But that doesn't mean I have to be a dedicated follower anymore.
I feel you on this! It’s gotten bad at the HS level but youth travel ball is worse. That’s where majority of the recruiting takes place now, switching teams, entitlement, etc. Many of the top programs have youth teams now or a coach who is apart of a youth program to bring in players. You have coaches who follow little kids on social media now as a way to recruit them. I believe it’s carried its way over up through college but I don’t ever see the NFL changing.

Well Scrimmages don’t go in win loss column….looking at Dudley schedule it looks awful week to me….hillside probably be challenging with the new coach from new bern but other than that a cake walk for the panthers….I always wondered why Dudley never scheduled Reidsville?

Hopefully they play next season

Well Scrimmages don’t go in win loss column….looking at Dudley schedule it looks awful week to me….hillside probably be challenging with the new coach from new bern but other than that a cake walk for the panthers….I always wondered why Dudley

We can't help the conference that they place us in. I would love to be in the Metro again. At Dudley its 2 seasons regular season and playoffs and we fared well in both. All we can do us strap it up and play ball boys. Heck if we can't get Grimsley maybe we start playing NorthWest Guilford I don't mind the ride down Battleground Ave.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Hopefully they play next season
I’m going to go ahead and say it. It’s not happening anytime soon so it’s pointless for everyone to keep hoping for it. They won’t play until they’re in the same conference and forced to play. They won’t even go against one another in 7on7’s and the schools are 10-12 mins apart. They could prepare for the season by just going down the road instead of Charlotte but they don’t. The staffs are clearly not on the same page or have the relationships for it to happen. By the time it ever happens, if it happens the good years of “what could’ve been” would have already passed.

I'll definitely back this up as an outsider who just happens to love triad high school football without a dog in this fight. The recruiting does happen, i've personally heard a convo or two in the past few years. I also think its absurd to not believe its happening when every touchdown that was scored in that spring championship was scored by a kid that transferred in(yes, i know one of them was the son of the ad and this was to be expected). Also let me say that anybody that thinks dudley is scared to play grimsley is not thinking. Grimsley's success is very much recent, Dudley has been at this for sometime!!! I'd assume it would be vice versa
We can't help the conference that they place us in. I would love to be in the Metro again. At Dudley its 2 seasons regular season and playoffs and we fared well in both. All we can do us strap it up and play ball boys. Heck if we can't get Grimsley maybe we start playing NorthWest Guilford I don't mind the ride down Battleground Ave.
Yeah we don’t stand a chance against yal this year….maybe last year bud def not this year…what is yals enrollment?

I’m going to go ahead and say it. It’s not happening anytime soon so it’s pointless for everyone to keep hoping for it. They won’t play until they’re in the same conference and forced to play. They won’t even go against one another in 7on7’s and the schools are 10-12 mins apart. They could prepare for the season by just going down the road instead of Charlotte but they don’t. The staffs are clearly not on the same page or have the relationships for it to happen.

So that 7 on 7 didn't happen?

No, that was between Reidsville and Dudley. Grimsley and Dudley don’t do anything together.

I can understand Grimsley and Dudley. Because, Grimsely just started getting good. It would have been no need for that game. Now its a big time game though. I think you pretty much said what I just said earlier.

I feel you on this! It’s gotten bad at the HS level but youth travel ball is worse. That’s where majority of the recruiting takes place now, switching teams, entitlement, etc. Many of the top programs have youth teams now or a coach who is apart of a youth program to bring in players. You have coaches who follow little kids on social media now as a way to recruit them. I believe it’s carried its way over up through college but I don’t ever see the NFL changing.
DING DING DING. We have a winner. Folks that think recruiting doesn't happen are naïve. Most youth travel teams as mentioned have a coach or are affiliated or practice at or near a HS or Middle school. Good talent is identified early and pushed to certain schools. Its nearly impossible to stop this type of recruiting prior to the 9th grade. Right now youth travel ball teams are stacking and recruiting hard. The majority of recruiting pre 9th grade is this type. Personal trainer coaches for X highschool. He has a kid thats a pure baller. Now his staff knows about said kid. Now he indirectly and directly sells his program and diminishes another. He finds where said player lives to better know who the comp is. NO way to stop that stuff. Its like an uncle pushing his favorite HS.

Once in HS , players leave bad situations moreso than try to find great ones. Mallard Creek in its heyday lost a ton of good players that started or contributed at other HS. You have kids that purposely avoid Indy, Butler, Chambers, or MC because they want to play early, and actually play vs. a grueling HS football schedule to ride the bench 3-4 years.

The biggest difference for Grimsley is that players that used to leave Grimsley for other schools are now staying in their home district. The hyperbola of ‘pile in droves’ (did you mean ‘piling in in droves’) is laughable hyperbole. Who does Grimsley have that is crippling Page this year? Your best player transferred to Dudley.

The GSO Allstar meme is getting and sounds more and more like preparation for a trip to the woodshed.

Over the past 4 years, Grimsley has received basically a full starting line up on both sides of the ball worth of players transfer in. That's not laughable hyperbole. That's reality.

I can understand Grimsley and Dudley. Because, Grimsely just started getting good. It would have been no need for that game. Now its a big time game though. I think you pretty much said what I just said earlier.
As a former player and fan and I can speak for some, we feel like this for the city. That's all. Bragging rights to the city. I also believe Page and Smith don't play each other. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You do realize majority of the best players don’t live in Grimsley’s district? They get them in before High school which is one of the loopholes to getting kids outside the district without most people knowing. I could go down the list of names who are not in that district and what district they’re supposed to be in, even from the last few years.They got kids from all over the triad. Just because Blackwell is the only one known that transferred doesn’t mean they don’t have kids who should be going to Page already. Word on the streets and the people that are in the know is apartment addresses are being used. It’s apart of the game now and they’re just doing it better than most. Every team that’s a contender for the most part has kids outside of the district.
BINGO. Grimsley homers will never own up to this kind of crap. They will always deflect of WELL PAGE DID IT... which is completely BS. I cannot speak on what happened in the 80s, because I wasn't even born yet, but when Page was the hot topic in the 2010s, Gillespie did not allow kids to play on his team that were not supposed to be there. For example, I remember him turning down players who showed up randomly at summer camp saying they were there to be on the team, after they couldn't provide accurate paperwork. (Yes, I used to go to the summer practices many times a week). Another example, Jacob Green came over from Western Guilford, after his parents showed proof of their new house in Page's district.

As a former player and fan and I can speak for some, we feel like this for the city. That's all. Bragging rights to the city. I also believe Page and Smith don't play each other. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Page and Smith don't play each other for similar reasons why Dudley and Grimsley don't. Page beat up on Smith basically 95% of the time, Smith took it personally at one point and relationships soured, once Smith went down to 3A, they didn't look to keep each other on the schedule.

BINGO. Grimsley homers will never own up to this kind of crap. They will always deflect of WELL PAGE DID IT... which is completely BS. I cannot speak on what happened in the 80s, because I wasn't even born yet, but when Page was the hot topic in the 2010s, Gillespie did not allow kids to play on his team that were not supposed to be there. For example, I remember him turning down players who showed up randomly at summer camp saying they were there to be on the team, after they couldn't provide accurate paperwork. (Yes, I used to go to the summer practices many times a week). Another example, Jacob Green came over from Western Guilford, after his parents showed proof of their new house in Page's district.
That’s interesting because I heard the kid you are referring to never actually moved he just enrolled in ROTC….heard this from very reliable folks

That’s interesting because I heard the kid you are referring to never actually moved he just enrolled in ROTC….heard this from very reliable folks
He did take an ROTC class, but thats not the reason for the move. Naysayers will say ROTC was the reason. Maybe a physical move never happened, but his parents did buy a house in Page's district, I was told by the kid himself (about as reliable a source as it gets), that he lived there with a parent his senior year.

He did take an ROTC class, but thats not the reason for the move. Naysayers will say ROTC was the reason. Maybe a physical move never happened, but his parents did buy a house in Page's district, I was told by the kid himself (about as reliable a source as it gets), that he lived there with a parent his senior year.
Interesting lol

Reactions: bigdadd11103
I specifically remember Gillespie being strict on who was trying to join his team from other schools. A few times I would ask kids directly how things were going with life outside of school, and they would tell me they were settling into their new surroundings and neighborhoods nicely.

I specifically remember Gillespie being strict on who was trying to join his team from other schools. A few times I would ask kids directly how things were going with life outside of school, and they would tell me they were settling into their new surroundings and neighborhoods nicely.
Almost sounds like they were overcompensating a lil to much….I mean that’s a lil much to start saying stuff like that….especially for a kid lol

Almost sounds like they were overcompensating a lil to much….I mean that’s a lil much to start saying stuff like that….especially for a kid lol
read into it or twist it how you want, I'm just saying I was there, and saw first hand how things were ran for the most part. I spoke to and knew many parents who were in the know as well.
If it was a topic of interest or doubt, I wouldnt have brought it up. I am 99.9999% certain the kid was legally at Page.

Back to the original top at hand though, which is Grimsley Football.

People bring up the word hate a lot on here. The only thing I would hate is for Grimsley to be found dealing in some suspicious behavior. I would love for the success of Greensboro's brand of HS Football to be as organic as possible, probably impossible I know, but still i really hate to hear some of this crap that people like @New3ra know about.

I reminds me of when Northern first opened their doors, and I heard stuff about kids using falsified addresses and multiple kids living in apartments that a coach rented.
I really wish the GCS Athletic Director would scrub our county of all this.

• Love
Reactions: New3ra
read into it or twist it how you want, I'm just saying I was there, and saw first hand how things were ran for the most part. I spoke to and knew many parents who were in the know as well.
If it was a topic of interest or doubt, I wouldnt have brought it up. I am 99.9999% certain the kid was legally at Page.
I know 100
Percent he was legal at page….

Reactions: PagePirates44
Back to the original top at hand though, which is Grimsley Football.

People bring up the word hate a lot on here. The only thing I would hate is for Grimsley to be found dealing in some suspicious behavior. I would love for the success of Greensboro's brand of HS Football to be as organic as possible, probably impossible I know, but still i really hate to hear some of this crap that people like @New3ra know about.

I reminds me of when Northern first opened their doors, and I heard stuff about kids using falsified addresses and multiple kids living in apartments that a coach rented.
I really wish the GCS Athletic Director would scrub our county of all this.
The new AD from Charlotte is trying to crack down more on it but getting kids in before HS is almost impossible to stop or keep up with.

The new AD from Charlotte is trying to crack down more on it but getting kids in before HS is almost impossible to stop or keep up with.
How is it almost impossible to stop? If a kid's address is in X district, they should go to X school, regardless of which middle school they attend. Also, a 365 day rule should be implemented like CMS uses.

How is it almost impossible to stop? If a kid's address is in X district, they should go to X school, regardless of which middle school they attend. Also, a 365 day rule should be implemented like CMS uses.
It’s just so many kids to keep up with. It’s much easier to crack down on transfers. There are ways to show proof of a falsified address and if you bring them in before HS it’s almost impossible for that to come up or be noticed. There is a 365 rule implemented but people have been finding loop holes. Once kids get enrolled into a HS the county AD isn’t going back checking for each child, as far as they know that’s what school they’re supposed to attend.

Yes but guilford Needs to do open enrollment….i understand 365 after they have made their choice on school. A kid shouldn’t be able to transfer every year to another school….

Reactions: ecu424
Its harder to stop because lots of families move for 9th grade years and some school systems waive any eligibility requirements based on grades. YOu also in some cases have nothing to compare it to from a prior year. if they are not looking at the 9th grade piano prodigy's paper work, then they shouldn't look at the 9th grade qbs paper work either. once the get info or reason to investigate they do. But you have to accept the initial info just as if they were any other student not playing sports w/o bias.

Yes but guilford Needs to do open enrollment….i understand 365 after they have made their choice on school. A kid shouldn’t be able to transfer every year to another school….

Spot on.. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Weddington, Butler come out the west or Hough finally get over the hump. Grimsley is super talented but they lucked up quite a few times last post season and they may not get some of those breaks this year.
Luck wins 1 or 2 games Grimsley has been undefeated for years in the regular season. They won 4 straight weeks against Charlotte's best last year. Winning is a break?

Luck wins 1 or 2 games Grimsley has been undefeated for years in the regular season. They won 4 straight weeks against Charlotte's best last year. Winning is a break?
Put Grimsley on the road for a couple of those games and see how they'd do. This is just my opinion, but as long as Grimsley is bringing good players and they're contenders you may not see them on the road in the playoffs. They just don't have the challenging schedule that some of those teams in the west have. You won't see Grimsley playing some of those South Carolina schools. And why should they? They can rack up those wins and stay at home in the playoffs, while other contenders are beating each other up against each other and top teams from South Carolina and Georgia.

Reactions: reddawg01
I highly doubt this is the case!!
Both teams have no fear playing each other.
Put Grimsley on the road for a couple of those games and see how they'd do. This is just my opinion, but as long as Grimsley is bringing good players and they're contenders you may not see them on the road in the playoffs. They just don't have the challenging schedule that some of those teams in the west have. You won't see Grimsley playing some of those South Carolina schools. And why should they? They can rack up those wins and stay at home in the playoffs, while other contenders are beating each other up against each other and top teams from South Carolina and Georgia.
I beileve Grimsley has a late season game vs the number 2 team from Tennessee last year and they are playing Rolesville next week who just beat Butler. Until a team can survive without multiple losses in the Queen city area getting high seedings is not in the cards. Undefeated should come with rewards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both teams have no fear of playing each other.

I beileve Grimsley has a late season game vs the number 2 team from Tennessee last year and they are playing Rolesville next week who just beat Butler. Until a team can survive without multiple losses in the Queen city area getting high seedings is not in the cards. Undefeated should come with rewards.
No, I didn't see a team from Tennessee on their schedule. I don't know how to read that Rolesville win over Butler. After Rolesville, it's pretty much schedule light for Grimsley. Reagan might give them a little trouble, but I wouldn't expect too much. That win over Butler was a good win, but though Butler is usually playoff bound, they aren't the same team they once were. So, we'll see, but with their schedule, I fully expect Grimsley to go unbeaten.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I didn't see a team from Tennessee on their schedule. I don't know how to read that Rolesville win over Butler. After Rolesville, it's pretty much schedule light for Grimsley. Reagan might give them a little trouble, but I wouldn't expect too much. That win over Butler was a good win, but though Butler is usually playoff bound, they aren't the same team they once were. So, we'll see, but with their schedule, I fully expect Grimsley to go unbeaten.
That team from Tennessee on their schedule is a typo because there’s a team named Page in Tennessee also.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Grimsley is responsible for themselves I agree the conference is a joke but that's not Grimsleys fault. They have many old powerhouse teams that have fallen down. I will say our quaterback lacks confidence if that is fixed this team could be real strong. He has the talent but football is 50% physical and 50% mental.

Over the past 4 years, Grimsley has received basically a full starting line up on both sides of the ball worth of players transfer in. That's not laughable hyperbole. That's reality.
You do realize that Page was one of the biggest recruiters in the 80's. All the way down to Realtors pushing to put promising families into the Page district. I know because I witnessed it personally.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT