ADVERTISEMENT

First Flight stadium question

Darkhorse04

Dec 5, 2006
on the Carolina preps stadium project site it shows a nice home side, but doesn't show any visiting team stands, are there none? That would be odd but the pictures may be old, was just curious.

The overhead satellite view doesn't show any visitor stands either. I thought that the NCHSAA had a minimal seating requirement in order for a school to host a playoff game. Maybe they pull bleachers in from another venue? (Softball, baseball?)

Seating requirements are as following (per NCHSAA rule book)

1A - Home 1000, Visitor 500
2A - Home 1450, Visitor 750
3A - Home 2000, Visitor 1000
4A - Home 2500, Visitor 1500

That being said, I couldn't find anything saything that the visitor seating needed to be on the opposite side. I guess that's open to interpretation. But, if a facility is lacking, the Executive Committee has the authority to move a playoff game.

https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/FB Handbook.pdf

If those are the requirements then FF better be moving in some temporary bleachers before Friday night. Their home side seating is first class but during their regular season their visitor side seating is like what you would see behind home plate on a high school baseball field. Maybe 200 capacity at most.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
If those are the requirements then FF better be moving in some temporary bleachers before Friday night. Their home side seating is first class but during their regular season their visitor side seating is like what you would see behind home plate on a high school baseball field. Maybe 200 capacity at most.
"those are the requirements" They need to be doing something then because I'm pretty sure there will be more than 200 Clinton folks there and after driving 4 hours they will want to have decent seating. I was looking at the Google Earth satellite view and I didn't see any visitor bleachers! None

Reactions: PrepFanNC
I wonder who has the responsibility of bringing a perceived stadium shortcoming to the Executive Committee? I guess it would have to be the visiting team. And likely at the very time of game assignment, as it is probably too late by now to change anything. I looks as if First Flight's home side will accommodate at least 2200. So maybe that fulfills the requirement?

As for Mattamuskeet... I saw their facility on the Stadium Project. No way that place can host any kind of playoff game.

I'd argue that visitor seating needs to be on the visitor's side. What a nightmare it would be to have to sit on the home side for a game in the playoffs.

Sorry to keep mini- posting, but the complaint would have had to be registered by the opposing team today.
Before noon.

Reactions: btango
on the Carolina preps stadium project site it shows a nice home side, but doesn't show any visiting team stands, are there none? That would be odd but the pictures may be old, was just curious.
for many years Western Carolina only had one large side.

Hey Wiz. Whiteville played at FF a few years back when Bob Lewis coached the Wolfpack. 2nd round I believe. They did have visitor side stands. Good luck to you all.

Reactions: daagoob
We went to a school in 09 ranked #1 in state in 1A then. We got there no heat at all in visitors locker room. Home field had new locker rooms,it got down in low 20 s that night. Our coach complained before game,our kids were freezing only thing officials said was the home team can't do anything to gain advantage over visitors. Couldn't put heat in then,so home team should cut their heat off completely. But they would not. They knew this all week,but did nothing to fix it. Just saying NCHSAA needs a lot of fixing with things like seating and such.

When Whiteville played First Flight when Bob was the coach they had visitor seats. Long drive and very nice views.

Dress warmly regardless of what the temperature is. If there is even the slightest breeze it always feels like it is 20 degrees colder than it really is.

It's going to be freezing there, that wind blowing across the ocean and sound. The stadium is nice though, the players from Clinton should like it, not sure about the fans,depends on how much seating they have set up.

It's going to be freezing there, that wind blowing across the ocean and sound. The stadium is nice though, the players from Clinton should like it, not sure about the fans,depends on how much seating they have set up.
Just checked the weather. Clinton fans definitely should overdress. Highs Friday of 55 and lows of 44.

I in no way was trying to talk bad about mattamuskeet in anyway, I guess it was just a shock to realize how most of us are truly blessed, more so than we believe. We all find reasons to complain, poor stands, bad bathrooms, no concession stand on visitor side, look at this and be thankful. These kids would probably love to play in some of our stadiums with out crowds.

I in no way was trying to talk bad about mattamuskeet in anyway, I guess it was just a shock to realize how most of us are truly blessed, more so than we believe. We all find reasons to complain, poor stands, bad bathrooms, no concession stand on visitor side, look at this and be thankful. These kids would probably love to play in some of our stadiums with out crowds.

Think more along the lines of thankful to have enough players to field a team.

How are the athletic facilities for sports out towards the OBX and northeastern north carolina? Which schools have some of the nicer athletic complexes?

Northeastern is older but very nice. I have some good videos of game night there but I don't know how to post them other than on facebook. The visitors side is nice also and fairly large.

Northeastern is older but very nice. I have some good videos of game night there but I don't know how to post them other than on facebook. The visitors side is nice also and fairly large.

Wasn't Northeastern was a 4A school in the early 2000's?

Last time Clinton went to NE school closed at lunch because of snow. We got there and the Janitors were scraping ice off of the bleachers. It was so cold that night like 35 with 20mph winds. Clinton had as many fans as NE that night, can’t belive they even played the game because of the school closing early that day because of snow. We won, went eventually on to state championship only to fall to the last good Burlington Cummings team there was. Dwight Jones was a senior.

Maybe if we get past First Flight we can see NE again, and yes I know things are different now than then.

There stadium is huge, press box is very nice also, and warm.

Last time Clinton went to NE school closed at lunch because of snow. We got there and the Janitors were scraping ice off of the bleachers. It was so cold that night like 35 with 20mph winds. Clinton had as many fans as NE that night, can’t belive they even played the game because of the school closing early that day because of snow. We won, went eventually on to state championship only to fall to the last good Burlington Cummings team there was. Dwight Jones was a senior.

Maybe if we get past First Flight we can see NE again, and yes I know things are different now than then.

DarkHorse04, you're posting about the 2006 team that went to the championship game against Dwight Jone's Cumming team. The DarkHorses didn't play at NE that season; the playoff opponents were all on the road but they were, Greene Central, East Duplin, Bunn, Northside and Cummings. The game you're referring to was 11/21/ 2008 in the 1st round of the playoffs, the DarkHorse played at Northeastern and defeated them 43-31. The Horse later lost in the 3rd round at Northside 36-3. The last time the DarkHorses played that far in that direction of the state was on 11/28/14 when the DarkHorses played at Edenton Holmes in the 3rd round of the playoffs defeating them 39-21.

Last edited:

That was 2008 Wiz we didn't make it to state we lost to a Donte Moss led Northside jax team in the 3rd round

My apologies guys. Heck it all runs together. That’s why I have you guys. LoL. I could’ve swore though we took a Nic Cooper team to NE and he ran all over them, in a high scoring game. Guess not.

Northeastern is the oldest in the NCC and has the biggest stadium, due to once being a 4A school before Pasquotank was built. In my opinion, First Flight has the nicest facilities in the conference. Bertie got a new high school not too long ago. Currituck has the biggest enrollment in the conference, was once 3A.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT