ADVERTISEMENT

Family of Grimsley QB Faizon Brandon sues State over NIL Restrictions

The NCHSAA is behind times again and heads need to roll. They are 100% going to lose the lawsuit. Great Article below:
https://www.highschoolot.com/story/...e-over-high-school-nil-restrictions/21596004/
SMH. Not trying to be funny but learn to read and research the topic. They sued against the State Board of Education and the Department of Public Instruction. NCHSAA wanted to allow athletes to profit from NIL. The republican controlled board didn't want public school athletes to benefit only private school athletes. The republican controlled board put limitations on the NCHSAA. Only reason i'm mentioning republicans is because this SB 452 was a republican lead senate bill that targeted the NCHSAA.

The slander of Que Tucker/NCHSAA has to stop. They have done a very good job in advocating for NIL for public school athletes.

SMH. Not trying to be funny but learn to read and research the topic. They sued against the State Board of Education and the Department of Public Instruction. NCHSAA wanted to allow athletes to profit from NIL. The republican controlled board didn't want public school athletes to benefit only private school athletes. The republican controlled board put limitations on the NCHSAA. Only reason i'm mentioning republicans is because this SB 452 was a republican lead senate bill that targeted the NCHSAA.

The slander of Que Tucker/NCHSAA has to stop. They have done a very good job in advocating for NIL for public school athletes.
I agree, this is NOT on Que Tucker but NIL is on the State and while she does advocate for NIL... They(NCHSAA) aren't in any rush to approve NIL. They move slow, like they have on everything and we still can't broadcast a game on ESPN in the State of North Carolina. "We Stay Behind the Times and That is a Fact under Que Tucker. They have to work together and it's not happening

Last edited:
Reactions: RammanuelKant

Im conservative and they need to get their heads out of there butt on this. The Supreme Court had already ruled on this. Maybe my Vols can help with this since they already kicked the NCAAs butt on NIL

Im conservative and they need to get their heads out of there butt on this. The Supreme Court had already ruled on this. Maybe my Vols can help with this since they already kicked the NCAAs butt on NIL
I think he was offered a 1 or 2 million dollar deal from the state of Tennessee(just speculation)...BTW Go Wolfpack Sept. 7th vs the Vols in Charlotte.

100%. Lawmakers in this state have done plenty to benefit private education at the expense of public education over the years and this follows suit.

NIL for high school kids is silly because there was never anything stopping it from happening in the first place. High school athletes can certainly just get a job, so what was stopping a business from paying Player X 1000$ a week to do whatever that business hired them to do, even if it was as little as making one social media post a week promoting a product?

I agree, this is NOT on Que Tucker but NIL is on the State and while she does advocate for NIL... They(NCHSAA) aren't in any rush to approve NIL. They move slow, like they have on everything and we still can't broadcast a game on ESPN in the State of North Carolina. "We Stay Behind the Times and That is a Fact under Que Tucker. They have to work together and it's not happening
FALSE You clearly said NCHSAA which is Que Tucker and then you double down that they haven't approved again. FALSE. You said heads need to roll. Please see senate republicans and let heads roll. Then you triple down that NC HS games cant be on TV/ESPN. Dutch Fork Mallard Creek ESPN2. 2019. Lastly NCHSAA is not dragging their feet they approved it already but weas blocked by the state controlled republican senate. So should heads still roll?

Reactions: Freshmanposter01
100%. Lawmakers in this state have done plenty to benefit private education at the expense of public education over the years and this follows suit.

NIL for high school kids is silly because there was never anything stopping it from happening in the first place. High school athletes can certainly just get a job, so what was stopping a business from paying Player X 1000$ a week to do whatever that business hired them to do, even if it was as little as making one social media post a week promoting a product?
There was an NCHSAA rule regarding amateurism that prohibited this very thing. Now if someone wanted to personally give a kid cash who knows. Remember working with rb from Chambers and he couldn't benefit from an icee flavor named after him.

Think top athletes will have a market based on recruiting and the school they may go to. For most HS athletes its gonna be minimal.

These kids should be able to benefit from these NIL deals. In most cases the deals are only going to affect the top 1% of athletes. If you are a top 1% athlete you do not have time to work. Most likely you are working to get better at your craft. This just pushes more of the top level talent to private schools.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
You'd think this would be a brainer for those who advocate for a free market.
ESPN has an article on it now. If I was the Brandon I would move to Knoxville for my Senior year and go to Alcoa or Maryville high school so he could make money off his NIL.

ESPN has an article on it now. If I was the Brandon I would move to Knoxville for my Senior year and go to Alcoa or Maryville high school so he could make money off his NIL.
Alcoa definitely has the $$$$ good call

FALSE You clearly said NCHSAA which is Que Tucker and then you double down that they haven't approved again. FALSE. You said heads need to roll. Please see senate republicans and let heads roll. Then you triple down that NC HS games cant be on TV/ESPN. Dutch Fork Mallard Creek ESPN2. 2019. Lastly NCHSAA is not dragging their feet they approved it already but weas blocked by the state controlled republican senate. So should heads still roll?
Look clown, ESPN has NEVER shown a high school football game on North Carolina soil… it’s the NCHSAA rules! and you can triple down on that…

Last edited:
A kid should be able to make money if he can. “Gather ye rosebuds while ye may”. You never know what might happen to you. I’m old enough to remember poor Steve Streeter going off to sign a contract to play pro football only to wreck his car on the way back to NC and never play a down in the NFL. You may only have so many chances to get ahead in life, and you have to take advantage of those.

Free enterprise laissez-faire capitalists denying someone an opportunity to earn money?! General Assembly run State Board of Education favor private school vouchers and slashing budget of public education. I also heard that somebody wants a cut of these athletes earnings as it is via public schools.

Free enterprise laissez-faire capitalists denying someone an opportunity to earn money?! General Assembly run State Board of Education favor private school vouchers and slashing budget of public education. I also heard that somebody wants a cut of these athletes earnings as it is via public schools.
If U really want the money that bad , just up and move to a state that allows it...with that kind of money you say is being offered , then up and moving family to that state is not a big deal...Offer me a million or two as U say and I'm GONE...

Reactions: reddawg01
I'm pretty sure the NCHSAA has no authority over private schools. They do somehow allow a couple of private schools to play in public school conferences, and compete for state championships, but they don't have the same level of control over the privates that they have over the publics. Question, and I'm not picking on Catholic, but as a private school can their players get NIL, and the public schools in their conference not? They don't have to follow any particular geographic district, so why would they have to follow public school guidelines for NIL?

Also, what organization ruled NIL is OK for privates? I'm not sure the state legislature regulates private schools. I thought the privates were run by a group similar to the NCHSAA, but for privates only.

After writing the above I found the following statement on line. I don't claim it's accurate because I don't know.

"Students attending private institutions were granted the green light by the North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association (NCISAA) to capitalize on and explore NIL opportunities at the nearly 100 private schools for which it oversees and governs athletics."

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the NCHSAA has no authority over private schools. They do somehow allow a couple of private schools to play in public school conferences, and compete for state championships, but they don't have the same level of control over the privates that they have over the publics. Question, and I'm not picking on Catholic, but as a private school can their players get NIL, and the public schools in their conference not? They don't have to follow any particular geographic district, so why would they have to follow public school guidelines for NIL?

Also, what organization ruled NIL is OK for privates? I'm not sure the state legislature regulates private schools. I thought the privates were run by a group similar to the NCHSAA, but for privates only.

After writing the above I found the following statement on line. I don't claim it's accurate because I don't know.

"Students attending private institutions were granted the green light by the North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association (NCISAA) to capitalize on and explore NIL opportunities at the nearly 100 private schools for which it oversees and governs athletics."
Since Catholic is in the nchsaa they can't offer nil.

You think Kendre Harrison moved to Providence Day (Private School) just for the football?? With Private Schools being able to offer NIL to kids, no wonder top recruits are heading that route now in NC.

but but but he said it wasnt for NIL... it was for coaching and competi......im sorry I cant even type that with a straight face

Reactions: Eagles/Trojans13
Who would be giving him a NIL deal…Nobody is making money off of his Name Image or Likeness…

Let’s call it what it is…Momma has got someone to give her a loan and when her son makes his way to Tennessee they will pay it back…I can’t wait for 4 or 5 years down the road when we hear about how all these guys are broke and owe millions of dollars because of bad deals…

Also certainly Tennessee wouldn’t pay a kid still in HighSchool and not even enrolled yet..He could just take the money and go to another school….

If they keep on wanting to pay players from high school, then to college, I'll just watch and follow the NFL. Citing this lawsuit, things are getting ridiculous. You have transfer portal high schools and NIL money high schools. "Aw my kid loves playing football...but only if he's paid". Ridiculous.

Also something to think about…Nobody is saying he can’t make money off of NIL in NC…He just can’t doing playing sports at a public highschool…Just like somebody that smokes Newports…You can smoke them just not in bars or restaurants anymore…Or Marlboro which ever you like…

NCHSAA teams can and have played on ESPN.
Ok, Btango you of all people know this has been an argument on here for years. Sure, they've been on ESPN in other States especially South Carolina who gets all the money/Revenue....but.. Name one public school game in the history of North Carolina High School Football that featured 2 public football teams playing on North Carolina soil.

Last edited:
I have been out of the loop since 2020. The rule was no live games on television on Thursday or Friday. That changed in 2014 but it was to allow Time Warner productions.

I don’t think the issue now is playing on television but the day the game is played. I know ESPN did not show much interest for Saturday games once the college season started but NC was limiting the Thursday / Friday games. Local stations has televised games the last few years.

I think if a school is good enough to play on ESPN they should let them do so. Same if a school can work a deal with a streaming service or local stations. I know of schools that have their games streamed live.

The problem is that privates can and publics can’t. This creates an unfair playing ground. I don’t think the lawsuit would have been filed if their weren’t the private exception. Either everybody can or everybody can’t.

Poorer families are especially squeezed by this NIL imbroglio. Que Tucker and the NCHSAA had developed parameters for HS NIL, but the legislature/NCDPI nixed it since they have taken over the reins high school athletics. This lawsuit will be long in court and will provide no immediate benefit to current athletes but may benefit kids down the road. My prediction: NCGA will fold like a cheap suit.

Who would be giving him a NIL deal…Nobody is making money off of his Name Image or Likeness…

Let’s call it what it is…Momma has got someone to give her a loan and when her son makes his way to Tennessee they will pay it back…I can’t wait for 4 or 5 years down the road when we hear about how all these guys are broke and owe millions of dollars because of bad deals…

Also certainly Tennessee wouldn’t pay a kid still in HighSchool and not even enrolled yet..He could just take the money and go to another school….
Tennessee University wouldn’t but Spyre out Knoxville probably could help. Nico signed with Spyre and they were going to represent him even if he didn’t go to TN.

Say it ain't so, Frank :rolleyes: o_O:p Of course it had nothing to do with the $$$$.

Word is Miami is telling the top high school players they will double whatever NIL offers they get.

If you think money wasnt involved you may want to schedule an appointment with a neurologist.

Ok, Name one public school game in the history of North Carolina High School Football that featured teams playing on North Carolina soil.
You moving the goalpost again. NC Team have played TV games all the time. Also State championships also televised. The NC Rule is for live games during live played games. Keep up. They dont want competing live games while HS are playing on FRiday nights. People actually going to the games matter.

You moving the goalpost again. NC Team have played TV games all the time. Also State championships also televised. The NC Rule is for live games during live played games. Keep up. They dont want competing live games while HS are playing on FRiday nights. People actually going to the games matter.
The big cities in NC need to do a Thursday game on TV. Knoxville area does a Rivalry Thursday game. I usually watch them. September 12th will be a really really good game. Greeneville plays Alcoa. Save this link so you can watch

Money is always involved. That's the problem.
Yeah you got to hate that a kid has a god given talent that most of us will never have and they can make money off of their NIL. That includes any sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT