ADVERTISEMENT

Family of Grimsley QB Faizon Brandon sues State over NIL Restrictions

Yeah you got to hate that a kid has a god given talent that most of us will never have and they can make money off of their NIL. That includes any sport.
Many don't look at like it's God given talent, but a profitable talent. This shows where for the most part, our priorities lie, especially with parents.

Many don't look at like it's God given talent, but a profitable talent. This shows where for the most part, our priorities lie, especially with parents.
SMH. So the banker that makes millions on Wallstreet, or the country club guy, or the investment guys aren't using God given talents? What about Real estate guys or scientist? Plumbers? Project managers? Hair stylist? Whose talent are they using? Pretty sure God gave ALL talent not just sports talent.

-Folks that rail against NIL, are the same ones that talk free enterprise, capitalism, and free markets. Only when it comes to athletes does this so called fake amateurism comes in. NO complaints when bowl games, bowl execs, banks, cities, schools, conferences and coaches made millions upon millions and athletes were not paid. Only when The athlete/labor gets paid do you cry.

Football pays the bills and builds the moral for 90% of HS schools, the majority of colleges, and society. The NFL makes $13B a year and provides a huge tax base for cities. So why would anyone get upset with a player getting paid for their God given talents when everyone else gets paid off of it?

Yeah you got to hate that a kid has a god given talent that most of us will never have and they can make money off of their NIL. That includes any sport.
If thay are good enough, they'll get their money. The question is, should they get it in high school.

I worry that, without benefits of agents and lawyers, they may sign some kind of long term agreement(s) that will limit their future value. Most of these kids are not old enough to sign a contract, and who knows who is advising them, and/or signing for them.

Beware of sharks.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
If thay are good enough, they'll get their money. The question is, should they get it in high school.

I worry that, without benefits of agents and lawyers, they may sign some kind of long term agreement(s) that will limit their future value. Most of these kids are not old enough to sign a contract, and who knows who is advising them, and/or signing for them.

Beware of sharks.
Pretty sure these elite high school recruits already have agents. I guess you would be ok if they got a job washing dishes and playing a sport but not off their NIL

Pretty sure these elite high school recruits already have agents. I guess you would be ok if they got a job washing dishes and playing a sport but not off their NIL
At least they'd be doing something worthwhile. Or here's a novel idea, they could get paid for tutoring kids and helping kids who don't have that God given athletic talent. But wait! Considering the performance of public schools and the low performance of many students, that might not be a good idea either.

At least they'd be doing something worthwhile. Or here's a novel idea, they could get paid for tutoring kids and helping kids who don't have that God given athletic talent. But wait! Considering the performance of public schools and the low performance of many students, that might not be a good idea either.
So filming a commercial for a product wouldn’t be working in your eyes

SMH. So the banker that makes millions on Wallstreet, or the country club guy, or the investment guys aren't using God given talents? What about Real estate guys or scientist? Plumbers? Project managers? Hair stylist? Whose talent are they using? Pretty sure God gave ALL talent not just sports talent.

-Folks that rail against NIL, are the same ones that talk free enterprise, capitalism, and free markets. Only when it comes to athletes does this so called fake amateurism comes in. NO complaints when bowl games, bowl execs, banks, cities, schools, conferences and coaches made millions upon millions and athletes were not paid. Only when The athlete/labor gets paid do you cry.

Football pays the bills and builds the moral for 90% of HS schools, the majority of colleges, and society. The NFL makes $13B a year and provides a huge tax base for cities. So why would anyone get upset with a player getting paid for their God given talents when everyone else gets paid off of it?
SMH. Let's start with your first paragraph. "So the banker that makes millions on Wallstreet, or the country club guy, or the investment guys aren't using God given talents? What about Real estate guys or scientist? Plumbers? Project managers? Hair stylist? Whose talent are they using? Pretty sure God gave ALL talent not just sports talent."

These examples you're using are all professionals who earned their stripes through education as well. In addition they also offer a greater value to society as a whole than athletes.

Now your second paragraph: "Folks that rail against NIL, are the same ones that talk free enterprise, capitalism, and free markets. Only when it comes to athletes does this so called fake amateurism comes in. NO complaints when bowl games, bowl execs, banks, cities, schools, conferences and coaches made millions upon millions and athletes were not paid. Only when The athlete/labor gets paid do you cry.

Athletes aren't paid? The average value per year of a sports scholarship in college is $14,270 per year for men and over $15,000 per women. So, they're not getting paid? Then if athletes want to get paid, then pull the scholarships. Have them pay for their own education. Especially when athletes will be looked upon as employees takes affect. What about the students who aren't athletically gifted?

Now let's look at your third paragraph" "Football pays the bills and builds the moral for 90% of HS schools, the majority of colleges, and society. The NFL makes $13B a year and provides a huge tax base for cities. So why would anyone get upset with a player getting paid for their God given talents when everyone else gets paid off of it? NFL is a professional league. High school leagues are not.

If a HS player signs an NIL agreement, who is the agreement between? I'm not sure the HS has anything to do with an NIL contract. The school's only roll is their players must be elegible for NIL; the school is not a party to the NIL contract, and the school does not put up any money. That may not be true in college, but I believe it is in most HS's. Bottom line, Harrison did not transfer from Reidsville to Providence Day to get money from Providence Day, he did it to go to a private school and therefore become elegible for NIL.

According to what I have read, major companys put up the money to the players; maybe not these, but companies similar to Nike, Under Armour, advertising agencies, etc. Obviously the idea is the company pays the player, and they plan to make a enough money on the player's NIL to cover their costs to the player, plus make a profit on the player's NIL. I have no idea of the detailed terms of an agreement, all I'm saying is I hope the player knows what he's (or she's) getting into.

You most likely are correct, the truely big time players (6 and 7 figures) may have good legal advice and representation. What I was talking about was the 8 or 9 out of 10 rated player who gets an offer of $10K or $25K, and suddenly thinks he's rich. He probably didn't get enough to pay for decent representation. He MAY not be aware that he just signed away his NIL rights for a lifetime for chicken feed.

Companies paying for NIL probably don't expect a short term profit. They may be buying up rights to players at bargain prices hoping that a few of the players may pay off big time in 5 or 10 years.

Last edited:
If a HS player signs an NIL agreement, who is the agreement between? I'm not sure the HS has anything to do with an NIL contract. The school's only roll is their players must be elegible for NIL; the school is not a party to the NIL contract, and the school does not put up any money. That may not be true in college, but I believe it is in most HS's. Bottom line, Harrison did not transfer from Reidsville to Providence Day to get money from Providence Day, he did it to go to a private school and therefore become elegible for NIL.

According to what I have read, major companys put up the money to the players; maybe not these, but companies similar to Nike, Under Armour, advertising agencies, etc. Obviously the idea is the company pays the player, and they plan to make a enough money on the player's NIL to cover their costs to the player, plus make a profit on the player's NIL. I have no idea of the detailed terms of an agreement, all I'm saying is I hope the player knows what he's (or she's) getting into.

You most likely are correct, the truely big time players (6 and 7 figures) may have good legal advice and representation. What I was talking about was the 8 or 9 out of 10 rated player who gets an offer of $10K or $25K, and suddenly thinks he's rich. He probably didn't get enough to pay for decent representation. He MAY not be aware that he just signed away his NIL rights for a lifetime for chicken feed.
A lot of a players NIL comes from their social media presence like followers. ON3 has Brandon’s at almost $600,000 right now

A lot of a players NIL comes from their social media presence like followers. ON3 has Brandon’s at almost $600,000 right now

Good for him.

The question is, is now a good time for him to sell his NIL rights. Apparently in his case, he doesn't need the money, and his value appears to be growing rapidly. Maybe he should hold out for a while for a better price. It's a judgement call. If he stays healthy, he will become more valuable.

I would never wish anything bad on anybody, and I certainly don't in this case, but if something happened to his health, then I guess he would be sorry he waited. He's a commodity, and it's a crap shoot.

The only other thing I would say is he is the extreme exception, and I hope he sooner or later makes every penny he is worth. I just hope his law suit doesnt somehow wind hurting others who are less fortunate than he is to make major mistakes because they became elegible for NIL because of the law suit and handled it poorly.

Last edited:
If the State Board of Education doesn't wake up, whether by a lighting bolt in the form of the law suit up their shazoo or a matter of some form of divine intervention, then public schools in North Carolina will continue to lose the top athletes to the private schools or to adjoining states.

If anyone wants to pay these athletes for their talent then go for it. Hopefully in the North Carolina public schools.

Reactions: Appvol
My wife is from Greeneville and over the years have grown to love the Green Devils. That Alcoa game should be awesome.
Greeneville is a nice little town. Yes Alcoa lost their 1st game this year. From what I have heard Greeneville is good this year. You can watch the game September 12th on that link. I usually watch the football game on TV Thursday and the Rivalry Thursday game on my IPad

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT