ADVERTISEMENT

Week 7 Picks (Done Early!)

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
Starmount at Mount Airy

Rams head up the road to MA tonight. Expected a close matchup earlier in the year but Starmount again is struggling with consistency and no one can beat MA playing just a half of Football or being one dimensional. Bears should give the Rams an education tonight big question here is how the Rams handle it moving forward.

Wilkes Central at East Surry

Big matchup in Pilot this week as Wilkes Central heads there to play the Cards for the first time ever I do believe. Last year it was a slaughter for East as Central couldn’t do anything on the Cards after a delay due to Covid. JV wise meanwhile was the opposite as WC pulled off an upset win and it proved to be the highlight of the program for the Eagles last year.

This year however I expect to be a lot different. WC can score a lot of points as their offense has finally woken up. #8’s a load for them at RB and their QB is a solid option back. However as good as they are Graham hasn’t shown up yet which is a surprise. Defensively they are still quite inept and honestly that should be where the game comes down to. Can their defense finally show some fight and do enough to shut East down to win? Honestly I just don’t see it. Even if the NC State kid is back; he couldn’t do anything to shut down Surry Central of all people down last week. That was an embarrassing score for that defense it should have never been that close. Until they find some toughness on that side of the ball they won’t do much when it matters.

East’s offense is just too dang loaded for them to handle. East’s defense was tested by NS’s pass last week and had a mediocre night stopping it. They shut the Hound’s run down but the pass opened up on them as a result. WC will have to decide if they wanna pass it more this week or try to option them to death. They do have some size to them; game will come down to if they can hold East’s D line enough to score consistently or not. I just don’t see it. WC will be East’s best challenge in this conference this year though.

Elkin at Surry Central

Very, very hard matchup to pick here. Elkin’s been jamming the last 3 games despite their record they are playing with more heart than they have in the last few years and that QB is flourishing after they found theirselves a RB out of their kicker. Despite the lopsided loss they played EW decent last week on offense. Defensively they showed their flaws. SC meanwhile has had a fun two weeks. They upset West Wilkes on homecoming and played WC super close last week as WC’s inept defense allowed SC to play it close. However SC still has a lot of holes to fill. This is going to be Central’s last winnable game for a little while.

Central’s had the better luck on JV the past couple of games . They won it easy last year as Jewell threw it all over them. That might be an omen to this matchup. Elkin struggles vs the pass if you have athletes or a good QB they will have it rough. It’ll come down to physicality. Elkin has it more this year than they did last. Last year’s matchup Central out hit them all night but Elkin wouldn’t go away. I expect that to be the case this year.

It could go either way but I think Elkin’s QB could have a career night. Central struggled vs him last year and with another year of experience and Central so young on D it might be a good revenge night. I see Central hanging around due to their QB Jewell. This could very well come down to heart and ball control I just see Elkin wanting it more. However if Elkin’s D don’t step up it could be another ball control outing like last year.

North Stokes at Alleghany

The Trojans return home with a very winnable matchup here. Alleghany’s played hard all season while N Stokes has struggled with consistency on both sides. These two have always played hard and it’s one of the areas more underratedly fun rivalries due to that. This year I’m gonna go with the Trojans. Their line is way more physical and their skill guys are more experienced. They’ve hung with everyone this year and should be in control tonight.

East Wilkes at South Stokes

It’s time to put up or shut up for the Ronda Cards. This game was the downfall of the season for them last year as they let South hang around and wake up before making a game out of it and ultimately one of Dave’s best coaching jobs to an upset OT win last year. It honestly was what made their season last year on the way to a surprise first round playoff win. East meanwhile just lingered and struggled like they lost their mojo. They to won a first round game but that loss honestly soured their season especially after Graham’s injury.

Now it’s time for the Cards to get their chance at revenge. South’s down from what they are but they are proving to be much more than I figured them to be. Minus the tough teams they have played they have played everyone hard (really shoulda beat McMichael.) East cannot afford to overlook the Sauras here. They are in a spot to where South could make a game out of it. However East is just that much better this year. They routed a very annoying Elkin team last week despite letting them score some point. If that 42 point offense shows up again this week it could be another long night for South. However in South’s benefit they are more athletic than Elkin is. Might be the test East needs. Wait and see.

Morehead at West Stokes

The Wildcats are still having offensive consistency struggles as Walkertown held them to a shutout last week. West hasn’t had the schedule to really adjust to the change minus the first two weeks as it’s gotten harder and harder the past few weeks. This week they host a very big and fast Morehead team who gave North Forsyth all they could handle in the conference opener. They were off last week after playing a brutal schedule which includes two Guilford teams and Martinsville. They have that edge on West minus East Surry.

This one will go two ways: West finally starts clicking on offense and they make a game out of it or Morehead cruises to an easy win. Last year West won thanks a solid first half however Morehead almost came back and won. Could very well be a similar outcome just opposite. West badly needs a win here or else the next few weeks will be really tough.

West Wilkes at North Wilkes

Time for another Wilkes County rivalry! West is badly sinking right now they need any sort of moral boost. From what I understand they played the Bush quite well last week; still waiting to see any kind of info about that game from the paper or anything. North meanwhile had the week off after getting thumped by East Surry. With the RB back the Vikings are ready for the rest of the conference slate in a chance to possibly be the surprise squad. However they have got to overcome the bad stigma that came from their last inter conference matchup where they made theirselves look bad especially the RB who got ejected. They quite frankly can’t afford to behave like that if they want to make a run. West has had similar issues they got PF’s thrown on them at Central Davidson in bad times.

Much like the East and North game it will be a mental head battle with each team as much as each other. I just see NW being the better team on paper. West may have the size but North does as well. North’s backs are just better when it comes down to it especially the RB. This will be a great test for NW’s defense as that has always been their weak point. They will have to stop West from ball controlling them all night. If not it will be a long night for the Vikes. I just see NW’s RB getting loose and causing havoc for them all night. West doesn’t really have that kind of back they just have consistent runners. Sometimes you need break away cats.

Alexander Central at Ashe County

The Huskies return after a bye after a tough but respectable loss to Watauga. Up first on the conference slate is Alexander Central who’s having a bit of a down year. Last year Ashe surprised everyone and showed up ready to play and took the Cougars to OT against all odds before letting it slip. The JV game was also very close. I’m honestly expecting more of the same this year. It won’t be an OT game but Ashe has been clicking with the roolie in at QB. Al C meanwhile has struggled badly to play the past few games. Granted it was against solid competition whoever Al C won a game in that 3 week period last year and played everyone hard it’s a solid drop. I think Al C’s just a little better overall but I wouldn’t expect Ashe to show it up and chunk it all night.

Walkertown at Reidsville

On paper this looks like a close matchup but honestly this is quite the red herring game. Walkertown besides West and ER hasn’t played anyone any good and cruised to easy wins. McKoy’s easy schedules is showing again this year however things are fixing to change. Reidsville as banged up as they are are legit. Completely different beast than what the Wolfpack has faced and I don’t think they are ready fro it.

HP Andrews at North Forsyth
CSD
at Carver

Reactions: Maiden Creek
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT