ADVERTISEMENT

ER @ MA

I've watched Reidsville and Mt Airy and the difference on defense is Mt Airy team defense. The line and linebackers are very aggressive.
As long as they are ready for the little screen pass and don't get burned. Hopefully, they will be ready for it because I feel like it will happen to try and slow down the rush.

I went to the south Stokes vs ER basketball game last year. Maybe they could play some of the contemporary music that was played pregame at South. May be better than some of the old rock. Maybe some country. We just don't want the potential fight in the stands. Lol

Is this the first time ER has played at MA
Yes. Mt. Airy and Eastern Randolph have met twice, both times at Eastern Randolph. In 1969 in the 3rd game of the regular season MA and East Randolph Wildcats played at their field in Liberty (this is what the MA News reported in 1969) with Mt. Airy winning 40-0. They met last year in Ramseur in the 4th round of the NCHSAA playoffs with Mt. Airy winning 35-17. The paper called them East Randolph Wildcats.

In 1969 the Wildcats quarterback was Renay Brown and they ran a straight T formation. Bartell was a big bruising fullback for them.

Yes. Mt. Airy and Eastern Randolph have met twice, both times at Eastern Randolph. In 1969 in the 3rd game of the regular season MA and East Randolph Wildcats played at their field in Liberty (this is what the MA News reported in 1969) with Mt. Airy winning 40-0. They met last year in Ramseur in the 4th round of the NCHSAA playoffs with Mt. Airy winning 35-17. The paper called them East Randolph Wildcats.

In 1969 the Wildcats quarterback was Renay Brown and they ran a straight T formation. Bartell was a big bruising fullback for them.
Eastern Randolph opened in 1968. I was second class of ninth graders that attended there in 77. Before that school was 10-12.
Thank you for history

Eastern Randolph opened in 1968. I was second class of ninth graders that attended there in 77. Before that school was 10-12.
Thank you for history
By the way, I was a 9th grader in 1969. (added this)

I have the 1969 article if I could figure out how to download it on NCPreps without an http address.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekidd12
This is the first time ER has traveled in the playoffs since moving down to 1a correct? I imagine Wallace Shelton will be standing room only on Friday night. Us bear fans have done a lot of talking about just how impressive this Eastern Randolph team is. I know Devonte last year was as impressive young man as I seen all year. Buttttt I feel like the bears wore the wildcat’s down upfront that night. How much has changed upfront for the wildcats? What’s the ER fans think of the bears ? We know the Janis / dandy matchup is gonna be a fun one , we know mason gonna get his yards but I’m very interested to hear Eastern Randolph’s fan base take on the bears

This is the first time ER has traveled in the playoffs since moving down to 1a correct? I imagine Wallace Shelton will be standing room only on Friday night. Us bear fans have done a lot of talking about just how impressive this Eastern Randolph team is. I know Devonte last year was as impressive young man as I seen all year. Buttttt I feel like the bears wore the wildcat’s down upfront that night. How much has changed upfront for the wildcats? What’s the ER fans think of the bears ? We know the Janis / dandy matchup is gonna be a fun one , we know mason gonna get his yards but I’m very interested to hear Eastern Randolph’s fan base take on the bears
We will have to disagree on that wore down thing as those scores directly coincided with Devonte going out. But that’s ok. It’s all in each person’s perception. As far as how ER feels about Mt Airy? I have posted many times that they are the team to beat in 1A. That stance has not changed. The bears score proficiently in the majority of their games. Beleaguered, in the past anyway, coaching staff looks to have made adjustments at halftime in the few games they were challenged. Not sure if they will play a game this season where they will be pressed in fourth quarter. Would be interesting to see how those teenagers would react.
And that’s all I have to say about that…

Sorry been quoting a lot of movies lately..:

Mt Airy is the team to beat. Bigger stronger faster top to bottom. I don’t personally feel like this ER team is as strong as last years. In fact I feel like they have succeeded beyond expectations. Somewhat of a down year as far as the pipeline of talent. This for a down year and maybe not progressing any further? Nothing to be ashamed of there. Now that also being said they are by no means a bad team. They just arent legendary like the team they are going up against. If they can pull off the upset though that would be something to remember. I will say if Mt Airy wasn’t in the way I think their chances of representing the west are very high. It’s just the bar for which we are measuring success right now is higher than it usually is any given year because of how good that Mt Airy team is. I think you’re going to score 30+. I think we’re going to score 21-28. That ends in a loss by 10-20 points.

Now the X - Factor of thanksgiving you just never know right. ER traveling up there and the first road trip of the playoffs. Maybe they lay an absolute egg. Maybe Aunt B serves up some turkey with a side of salmonella and the end zone isn’t the only place the Mt Airy boys are running. Somebodies girlfriend texts them before the game and wants to Netflix and chill or they’re breaking up. You just never know what’s going to happen. But man on man and talent for talent there’s no question who’s more heavily loaded. So you just gotta play the game and see what happens.

How do you guys feel about your team compared to last years squad?

We will have to disagree on that wore down thing as those scores directly coincided with Devonte going out. But that’s ok. It’s all in each person’s perception. As far as how ER feels about Mt Airy? I have posted many times that they are the team to beat in 1A. That stance has not changed. The bears score proficiently in the majority of their games. Beleaguered, in the past anyway, coaching staff looks to have made adjustments at halftime in the few games they were challenged. Not sure if they will play a game this season where they will be pressed in fourth quarter. Would be interesting to see how those teenagers would react.
And that’s all I have to say about that…

Sorry been quoting a lot of movies lately..:
I am a little confused. So you are saying the fourth quarter and us out scoring you all 22-0 was because brooks got hurt. He was the reason Reid had a 65 yard TD run and why your quarterback who was really good ran for his life the whole quarter was brooks being out fault. Now Brooks would have probably made it to where the qb didn’t have to pass so much but I don’t think he would have solely kept us from scoring. And the question was about the line getting tired and that did happen. I know that ER was hampered by Brooks being hurt and it would have been a down to the wire game probably. I look forward to this years version.

Mt Airy is the team to beat. Bigger stronger faster top to bottom. I don’t personally feel like this ER team is as strong as last years. In fact I feel like they have succeeded beyond expectations. Somewhat of a down year as far as the pipeline of talent. This for a down year and maybe not progressing any further? Nothing to be ashamed of there. Now that also being said they are by no means a bad team. They just arent legendary like the team they are going up against. If they can pull off the upset though that would be something to remember. I will say if Mt Airy wasn’t in the way I think their chances of representing the west are very high. It’s just the bar for which we are measuring success right now is higher than it usually is any given year because of how good that Mt Airy team is. I think you’re going to score 30+. I think we’re going to score 21-28. That ends in a loss by 10-20 points.

Now the X - Factor of thanksgiving you just never know right. ER traveling up there and the first road trip of the playoffs. Maybe they lay an absolute egg. Maybe Aunt B serves up some turkey with a side of salmonella and the end zone isn’t the only place the Mt Airy boys are running. Somebodies girlfriend texts them before the game and wants to Netflix and chill or they’re breaking up. You just never know what’s going to happen. But man on man and talent for talent there’s no question who’s more heavily loaded. So you just gotta play the game and see what happens.

How do you guys feel about your team compared to last years squad?
Hopefully Aunt B cooks the turkey well.

I am a little confused. So you are saying the fourth quarter and us out scoring you all 22-0 was because brooks got hurt. He was the reason Reid had a 65 yard TD run and why your quarterback who was really good ran for his life the whole quarter was brooks being out fault. Now Brooks would have probably made it to where the qb didn’t have to pass so much but I don’t think he would have solely kept us from scoring. And the question was about the line getting tired and that did happen. I know that ER was hampered by Brooks being hurt and it would have been a down to the wire game probably. I look forward to this years version.
Yes I do say that. Don’t forget he played both ways. And as your post pointed out you do to an extent by stating it would have been a down to the wire game probably..
Fact is he did leave the game and Mt Airy was victorious. That’s all that matters in the end.

Yes I do say that. Don’t forget he played both ways. And as your post pointed out you do to an extent by stating it would have been a down to the wire game probably..
Fact is he did leave the game and Mt Airy was victorious. That’s all that matters in the end.
Not just Brooks but Cassidy also got hurt. ER had no threat of a run game that is why the QB was running for his life in the 4th quarter.

I’ve said it on here a thousand times. Devonte Brooks was an absolute stud. Yes I was on pins and needles every time he touched the ball. I agree with the ER fans about him leaving the game. Toss up if he stays in. Yes this bear fan said it . He was nasty. This bears team is a year older. Bigger , stronger and faster. The difference in this team has the depth of what in my opinion is as talented sophomore class tge granite city has ever seen. The most interesting part of this team is the work ethic. They aren’t complacent but as hungry as they were last year. Disciplined enough to be in the gym before daylight. Special group of young men. they have deff set the bar high for future teams.

Not just Brooks but Cassidy also got hurt. ER had no threat of a run game that is why the QB was running for his life in the 4th quarter.
Y'all forget MA was without 2 starting Linemen. #74 and #75 #75 played both ways and was darn good. #74 was 6'5 O Linemen! If one player keeps you from winning your not a great team. MA has been without two main starters the last month and next man stepped up. #2 back up QB played great he had 180 yards passing at Alleghany. Let's stop this bc he got hurt crap. Like I said MA had two starters out. Hell #32 Dandy broke his leg first qrt ship game and #22 came in and rolled. That's a great team so let's stop it.

Reactions: curtiscummings1
Y'all forget MA was without 2 starting Linemen. #74 and #75 #75 played both ways and was darn good. #74 was 6'5 O Linemen! If one player keeps you from winning your not a great team. MA has been without two main starters the last month and next man stepped up. #2 back up QB played great he had 180 yards passing at Alleghany. Let's stop this bc he got hurt crap. Like I said MA had two starters out. Hell #32 Dandy broke his leg first qrt ship game and #22 came in and rolled. That's a great team so let's stop it.
Stop what sir?
Someone asked a question and I,personally, gave my opinion of what happened last year. HWY49 was stating that in addition to Brooks, Cassidy was also out. That led to no running game at all which was a contributing factor in what occurred.
No one mentioned the linemen out for Mt Airy just if the player from ER was injured did it make a difference,
So no I won't stop it and don't usually respond well to being addressed in such a way.
As I have said on here before the only time I take offense at anyone posting is when they disparage the group pf teenagers I support. I am amending that somewhat to include being given a directive to stop voicing my opinion. In the end that is all we all have about what we discuss.

I think he’s starting to forget what account he’s signed into. The personalities are all starting to get crossed up. We’ve got passive, angry, apologetic, sensitive. I’d like to see a humble mixed in there somewhere.
I’ve been hinting for a couple of days about that but I think you’re the only one who caught on 🤷‍♂️

There is just two different perceptions of why the fourth quarter went the way it did in last years game. There are strong points in both perceptions. But, no one has to be right or wrong. I personally have left it in the past and am looking forward to a memory filled game this coming Friday night. 😉

I went to the south Stokes vs ER basketball game last year. Maybe they could play some of the contemporary music that was played pregame at South. May be better than some of the old rock. Maybe some country. We just don't want the potential fight in the stands. Lol
One of the best basketball atmospheres (for better or worse) that I've ever experienced.

My take on MA is pretty much the same as everyone elses. The Granite Bears are the gold standard right now. Fast, strong, versatile............you name it, they got it. My favorite player on MA is actually Walker Stroup (I don't think he gets talked about enough).

I do think ER has the potential to make MA sweat. Although the ER teams of the past couple of years have been more talented, I feel like the Cats have a few more things they can do on offense that they didn't the previous years. In the trenches, ER is pretty much the same as last year.

ER has a chance if they limit the "Mason Plays". If anyone else on MA beat me, I could live with that. Mason running wild is the absolute worst-case scenario for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT