ADVERTISEMENT

East Davidson coaching vacancy

It's good to hear that Vance Hanner is coming back as Head Coach. I know the players over at East are glad that the coaching search is over and that they won't have to learn a new offense for the coming year. Coach Hanner has run the football program at East with a lot of integrity over the years. Hopefully he will throw the ball a little bit more on offense this time around but then again I have an old saying. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: ThrowItAround
I guess at the end of the day, the East administration got what they wanted. They pulled it off. Maybe that crew is smarter than I thought, LOL.

In good faith, a coach accepts a job, disrupts his family, and commits to a community and school. The lack of sincerity in this situation is astounding. It isn't like the former coach was not producing. 3rd out of 9 schools in scoring, 6 wins...FIRST SEASON THERE. Oh well, folks. I know coach Hines wishes the guys coming back the best. That is in his nature. I do think the administration should consider the hardship it places on a family when you promise them "You are what we are looking for" and then pull the rug less than 300 days into the deal. Well...I guess you really "Can't Go Home, Again.".

In good faith, a coach accepts a job, disrupts his family, and commits to a community and school. The lack of sincerity in this situation is astounding. It isn't like the former coach was not producing. 3rd out of 9 schools in scoring, 6 wins...FIRST SEASON THERE. Oh well, folks. I know coach Hines wishes the guys coming back the best. That is in his nature. I do think the administration should consider the hardship it places on a family when you promise them "You are what we are looking for" and then pull the rug less than 300 days into the deal. Well...I guess you really "Can't Go Home, Again.".

Well said Sleehrat!!! I wish Coach Hines the best. He has handled this train wreck with dignity and class.

I, like many others, don't like the way this was handled either. I thought Coach Hines did a great job while he was at East. It took a little bit to get it going but eventually got the offense to start clicking on all cylinders and the offense was fun to watch. Making a general statement, it doesn't make any sense to me why schools bring in a coach and let them go after one season. A similar thing happened to Wes Mattera at Thomasville a few years back. I know Wes and he is a very good coach. He was very successful at Edenton ultimately leading them to the second/third round of the state playoffs. I guess what I am trying to say is that when you bring in a coach, the administration and the coaching staff should be supporting him. Some people have a hard time dealing with new coaches because that ugly word "CHANGE" rears its ugly head. In the end, I wish Coach Hines all of the best and I commend him on a job well done while he was at East. He made high school football fun to watch again. I just hope during the upcoming season that Coach Hanner takes some of the things that he learned while he was at Ledford and implements them at East. The goal at whatever job you have in life is to learn something new every day and excel at it.

I, like many others, don't like the way this was handled either. I thought Coach Hines did a great job while he was at East. It took a little bit to get it going but eventually got the offense to start clicking on all cylinders and the offense was fun to watch. Making a general statement, it doesn't make any sense to me why schools bring in a coach and let them go after one season. A similar thing happened to Wes Mattera at Thomasville a few years back. I know Wes and he is a very good coach. He was very successful at Edenton ultimately leading them to the second/third round of the state playoffs. I guess what I am trying to say is that when you bring in a coach, the administration and the coaching staff should be supporting him. Some people have a hard time dealing with new coaches because that ugly word "CHANGE" rears its ugly head. In the end, I wish Coach Hines all of the best and I commend him on a job well done while he was at East. He made high school football fun to watch again. I just hope during the upcoming season that Coach Hanner takes some of the things that he learned while he was at Ledford and implements them at East. The goal at whatever job you have in life is to learn something new every day and excel at it.
Little different situation with Coach Mattera. He chose to go back as athletic director when it became available. While the heat was on from the fans after losing to East for the first time in history, he would have had at least one more year if he chose.
In hindsight, it probably worked out better for all concerned. You're right, he's a great guy.

Good luck to East. Hanner is obviously a good coach and I hope he continues to have success. East has always had big linemen but not the speed they need on the outside. Good coaches like Hanner will play to their strengths to tip the odds more in their favor when they play good teams and minimize mistakes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT