ADVERTISEMENT

East Davidson coaching vacancy

ocdavis31

Nov 9, 2013
It seems to have escaped notice that East Davidson football coach David Hines has resigned. The school will soon begin a search for a new coach, according to local papers.

Reactions: Coach O51975
It seems to have escaped notice that East Davidson football coach David Hines has resigned. The school will soon begin a search for a new coach, according to local papers.

ocdavis31, my oldest son mentioned that to me a few nights ago but I thought he was joking around. Is there any info on why he resigned? I thought he did real well in his first year at East. Do you think there is a possibility they bring Vance Hanner back or do you think they will go another route?

ocdavis31, my oldest son mentioned that to me a few nights ago but I thought he was joking around. Is there any info on why he resigned? I thought he did real well in his first year at East. Do you think there is a possibility they bring Vance Hanner back or do you think they will go another route?
Only know what I saw in the local papers. He did have a good year.
As to Vance, I have no idea. He's obviously very capable. But sometimes it's hard to go back. Vance is a good coach who runs a program with a lot of integrity. If I were the East AD or principal, that would be the first call I'd make. Time will tell.

Only know what I saw in the local papers. He did have a good year.
As to Vance, I have no idea. He's obviously very capable. But sometimes it's hard to go back. Vance is a good coach who runs a program with a lot of integrity. If I were the East AD or principal, that would be the first call I'd make. Time will tell.
I agree

Hines had no support from the AD or administration. He was pushed out. In terms of the hiring process, East will go "through the motions", and bring back Hanner. It will be interesting to see how the East community responds.

Hines had no support from the AD or administration. He was pushed out. In terms of the hiring process, East will go "through the motions", and bring back Hanner. It will be interesting to see how the East community responds.

I would like to see them bring Vance Hanner back. As ocdavis31 put it, he ran the football program with a lot of integrity. His offense wasn't flashy, but it was effective. His defenses always had a knack for swarming to the ball.

Important hire for the Eagles. Tough conference to play in and heavy graduation loses will make it interesting to see if they can continue their recent winning ways. Agree that Hanner did a heck of a job over there!

Wow, I'm shocked. He did a pretty good job, and seemed really into it whenever I spoke to him.

Stop the search!!! The man for the job is just 5 miles away. Coach O aka Been Around the Block. He makes prefect sense. He could take all of his Tville trade secrets with him. You would need to give him 3 years though to get all of his program installed. Patience is the key and with CD on the schedule there is 2 guaranteed wins. Maybe add SD for a third guaranteed win. Would be a brilliant hire!!!!!!

Stop the search!!! The man for the job is just 5 miles away. Coach O aka Been Around the Block. He makes prefect sense. He could take all of his Tville trade secrets with him. You would need to give him 3 years though to get all of his program installed. Patience is the key and with CD on the schedule there is 2 guaranteed wins. Maybe add SD for a third guaranteed win. Would be a brilliant hire!!!!!!

You have jokes today Tvillelegend :). Not going to happen. We don't have 3 years to wait to get a program installed. We will stick with either Vance Hanner or Coach McClamrock. Nice try though.

Important hire for the Eagles. Tough conference to play in and heavy graduation loses will make it interesting to see if they can continue their recent winning ways. Agree that Hanner did a heck of a job over there!

Hanner was 25-22 at East. According to MaxPreps, the teams East defeated had a combined record of 61-206 (23%). Hanner never had a win over a team with a winning record. You have to ask the question, were the 25 wins due to good coaching or was it a result of a very favorable schedule???

triadfan beat me to it. look I like hanner and think he is a high character guy no doubt. that being said, his teams weren't ever any better than teams they've had in years past or even recently. they played cupcake city USA to boost win totals to get into the playoffs with the system set up to award wild cards based on wins and losses. triadfan, just took the time to put pen to paper to provide the numbers. and why on earth would East take hanner back after he ditched them the first time? Hire a guy like McClamrock who would run through a brick wall for that school and will be there for the long haul. that dude aint going anywhere. He lives for East Davidson.

Reactions: EDEagle66
triadfan beat me to it. look I like hanner and think he is a high character guy no doubt. that being said, his teams weren't ever any better than teams they've had in years past or even recently. they played cupcake city USA to boost win totals to get into the playoffs with the system set up to award wild cards based on wins and losses. triadfan, just took the time to put pen to paper to provide the numbers. and why on earth would East take hanner back after he ditched them the first time? Hire a guy like McClamrock who would run through a brick wall for that school and will be there for the long haul. that dude aint going anywhere. He lives for East Davidson.

Coach McClamrock, was he the DC or OC for East the last several years?

It is amazing how people get on these forums and attack coaches. Coaches get evaluated and criticized on every call. It would be interesting to see if society scrutinized all professions like we do coaches. These coaches do their job because they love it and love the kids they work with. We need to thank these men and women not trash them. Thank you outgoing Thomasville staff got what you have done for our kids. The new schools they will coach At will be glad they have them. Good luck to the new Thomasville staff and the old coaches that remain. Good luck to East on their search. They also have excellent returning coaches

Reactions: EDEagle66
Society does scrutinize all professions. People are evaluated everyday. I agree, coaches shouldn't be attacked, but people have the right to their opinion. High school coaches are judged by wins and losses. East has a big decision, and they need to get it right.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Maybe I am missing it I do not see posts on the performance of dentists, lawyers, furniture makers. I have no issues with oppinions or free speech just not attacking or slanderous posts. When I played ball the wins and losses are always in the past where the relationships and lessons learned last forever creating better people for our families and society

I haven't slandered anyone. I posted Coach Hanner's record. It is a FACT. I haven't said anything negative about anyone. I just asked a simple question, "were Coach Hanner's 25 wins due to good coaching or was it a result of a very favorable schedule???" This is a public forum and a VERY valid question.

I am glad you think you have it all figured out. The next time you run me and my name in the ground, my lawyer will be in touch with you. Never have i Bennett BEENAROUNDTHEBLOCK. But i do know who she is. And all the lies you spread about me are idiotic. You have no clue what goes on. If you want to talk to me come on down to the gym. I will be glad to have a conversation with you to catch you up on reality. You have said nothing on here but lies about me and
You are hilarious. I said you would be a good hire. Contact any attorney you would like and they will laugh at you.

GoNtheDistance brought up a good point earlier. Coach Hanner is a good coach but does East Davidson bring him back after he left them earlier for another job. It is definitely a hard decision to make. I have heard a lot of great things about Coach McClamrock and just maybe it is time that East gives him a shot. After thinking about it for a little while I would be interested to see what Coach McClamrock could do if given the chance.

Here’s the deal. East will never win a state title in football and frankly it’s a stretch for them to win a conference title most years. That being said, they need a coach who is committed to the school and the program long term. They need somebody to teach discipline, teamwork and other life skills that go beyond the football field. If they can beat all the teams they should beat and compete hard against the more talented teams on their schedule then that should be a home run at a school like East.

Here’s the deal. East will never win a state title in football and frankly it’s a stretch for them to win a conference title most years. That being said, they need a coach who is committed to the school and the program long term. They need somebody to teach discipline, teamwork and other life skills that go beyond the football field. If they can beat all the teams they should beat and compete hard against the more talented teams on their schedule then that should be a home run at a school like East.

I agree 100%. The next 3 years in the CCC will be challenging with their talent level as it currently stands. The next coach has to create a strength and conditioning program that is BETTER than everyone else's. The next coach needs to demand more out of his staff. From what I understand, the staff at East goes to very few clinics, they are "part time" coaches at best. I'd be willing to wager that the staff's at North, Oak Grove, Lexington, and Ledford work very hard on football during their off-season. They attend clinics, spring practice at Wake, UNC, etc., etc., etc. The culture has to change before East has a chance to be competitive. Back in the day, when Eddie Williamson was the head coach, you had better have your mouthpiece in and your straps buckled. East would hit you square in the mouth. They were well coached at every position and were competitive in every game. However, Coach Williamson was never appreciated. It's like everything else in this world, people always want MORE.

I heard there was a team meeting last week, and Coach McClamrock told the kids that he was not applying for the job. Write it down, East will bring back Hanner.

It will still be an uphill climb. Heard many are frustrated with ED administration not showing commitment to sports.

Spring practice is a few weeks away. Any word on candidates? Lots of capable assistants and coordinators in the area that can do the job!

It seems to be more and more schools not hiring best fit or best candidate but using good old boy method in that particular county. Heard numerous candidates for jobs at that new high school Oak Grove for positions that were way more qualified but admin decided to hire friends.

It seems to be more and more schools not hiring best fit or best candidate but using good old boy method in that particular county. Heard numerous candidates for jobs at that new high school Oak Grove for positions that were way more qualified but admin decided to hire friends.
That would not be the case in football as Oak Grove has a great staff

Oak Grove hired the highest winning percentage head coach in the county's history. They also hired a guy who lives and has always lived "in the community". What is wrong with that?

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Oak Grove hit a home run with Holcomb. East needs to do the same. BUT, Oak Grove surrounded their head coach with a really good staff. That's another area East needs to evaluate, it's assistant coaches. A head coach has to have help.

Oak Grove hired the highest winning percentage head coach in the county's history. They also hired a guy who lives and has always lived "in the community". What is wrong with that?
Excellent coach for sure. What is his winning percentage?

Not referring to the football hire. Please read all posts before commenting. Thanks.

Not referring to the football hire. Please read all posts before commenting. Thanks.
Sorry. There were references earlier to the football coach and I thought that was your reference too. Don’t know anything about the baseball coach, but the Oak Grove football guy is pretty good as well.

Reactions: truthofda336
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT