ADVERTISEMENT

East Davidson coaching vacancy

So, the latest word on the new head coach is that Hines has not yet signed a contract with his new school Southern Alamance (he will be OC). So, because of that he is still considered to be head coach at East and thus East Adm cannot officially interview for the HC position. Apparently there is a rule in place that prevents schools from interviewing if a coach hasn't officially resigned or signed somewhere else yet. Anybody else have any knowledge of this or how it works? It is really hurting the kids and their chance to have a successful team because they can't get a HC in place before the end of the school year.

Hey BKNut, what has to be done or who has to approve to be able to help coach at the HS level? I have previous coaching and playing experience and would very much like to be a part of helping coach if the new coach is willing.

I always send my resume to the head coaches asking if they need help, then they usually tell me when to go to the county office to do the paperwork. Just need to fill out some forms, wait on a background check, take a drug test, etc.

So, the latest word on the new head coach is that Hines has not yet signed a contract with his new school Southern Alamance (he will be OC). So, because of that he is still considered to be head coach at East and thus East Adm cannot officially interview for the HC position. Apparently there is a rule in place that prevents schools from interviewing if a coach hasn't officially resigned or signed somewhere else yet. Anybody else have any knowledge of this or how it works? It is really hurting the kids and their chance to have a successful team because they can't get a HC in place before the end of the school year.
If true, that is just idiotic. But then again, some schools or counties never want any change or betterment even when it helps the kids.

Unbelievable. I could be wrong and I hope that I am but this coming season is not looking too good at the moment. When it comes to coaching, if something isn't broke there is no need to fix it.

I agree it is a bit of a disadvantage for the kids having to learn a new offense and also for a new coach coming in to learn all the kids but if they have all the same assistant coaches it will make it easier on the new coach. With that being said, I hope the same thing doesn't happen again, we need the assistant coaches to go along with the system and direction of the new coach. That includes what type of practices the team should have. It would help the kids to practice technique tackling and do live hitting every week in practice.

The same assistant coaches seemed to be part of the problem last season. The assistant coaches should have to get on board or get out. Clearly they did not want to help 100% with Hines to create a winning culture of accountability. Losers lose, and winners win. If you have a losing mindset and only want to do the bare minimum with a high school sports program, most of the time your results will be the bare minimum. You have to have accountability and make kids believe and have trust that a program can and will improved. As Dabo Swinney says, "All In". It seems as though most assistants were all out last season minus some players and Coach Hines.

How did the JV team end up doing last year?

The JV team had a decent season, they won 4 games but should have won more. They had their starting QB moved up (varsity QB lost for season) and one of the starting RBs (depth) pulled up to varsity after the first game of the season but they still scored points on everybody they played except ND.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackKnightNut
The same assistant coaches seemed to be part of the problem last season. The assistant coaches should have to get on board or get out. Clearly they did not want to help 100% with Hines to create a winning culture of accountability. Losers lose, and winners win. If you have a losing mindset and only want to do the bare minimum with a high school sports program, most of the time your results will be the bare minimum. You have to have accountability and make kids believe and have trust that a program can and will improved. As Dabo Swinney says, "All In". It seems as though most assistants were all out last season minus some players and Coach Hines.

Correct me if I'm wrong, being a football coach on any level, the ultimate decision on how a team should be ran is up to the head coach. The assistants are there to provide input and support concerning the team but at the end of the day the decision making process falls on the head coach.

Last edited:
There’s a lot of truth to the posters calling out many of The assistants on staff. They do bare minimum, undermine any coach who expects or demands more and the results show. East has been a losing program for a long time and I don’t expect that to change regardless of who steps in. The coaches nor the kids know how to win and don’t put in the work to change it. They are good however at blaming everybody else but themselves.

There’s a lot of truth to the posters calling out many of The assistants on staff. They do bare minimum, undermine any coach who expects or demands more and the results show. East has been a losing program for a long time and I don’t expect that to change regardless of who steps in. The coaches nor the kids know how to win and don’t put in the work to change it. They are good however at blaming everybody else but themselves.

Hines expected his assistants to work, plain and simple. All they did was complain. I've heard several want out of football. The problem is, if Warrick and principal let them out, the new head coach won't have the benefit of the teaching positions because they will continue to take up space at East. Where will the new head coach he get the help he needs? I total mess.

I agree it is a bit of a disadvantage for the kids having to learn a new offense and also for a new coach coming in to learn all the kids but if they have all the same assistant coaches it will make it easier on the new coach. With that being said, I hope the same thing doesn't happen again, we need the assistant coaches to go along with the system and direction of the new coach. That includes what type of practices the team should have. It would help the kids to practice technique tackling and do live hitting every week in practice.
I'm about as old school as it gets when it comes to coaching, and played in the days of 1's vs.1's live for the last 1/2 hour of two a day practices. Times are different now. Concussions are the "hot button" word and with trainer/1st responders on the field at every practice the days of "son, you just got your bell rung" turns into "return to learn/return to play" getting cleared by neurologist. My center got a "concussion" at a scrimmage in August and was finely cleared to play in October. That being said tackling fundamentals are important but, with numbers being so low it's tough to risk injuries in practice. I agree it is a catch 22. The less you practice it, the worse you are at it, the more likely you are to get hurt on Friday nights. You can form tackle a bag all day long but, that hardly prepares you for live action.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Someone that has been on staff needs to step up....all they are doing is hurting the kids. Spring Ball starts today!

Someone that has been on staff needs to step up....all they are doing is hurting the kids. Spring Ball starts today!

It seems that no one wants to be a leader, just a follower. Like I have said before, the players at East Davidson do not deserve this. I know those kids over there work hard and it is pretty sad when you put them in a position to possibly have to learn a new offense/defense in just 2-3 months. I hope that I am wrong about all of this but as it stands right now this upcoming football season is not looking too good. There are some very talented players over there at East they just need a strong head coach to help mentor them and give them guidance. If they need any help over there as an assistant, I would be more than happy to help out. That has always been a dream of mine, even when I was active duty military, was to coach high school football.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Any word on the head coaching search? How much longer are they going to drag this out? This is getting ridiculous.

I am just curious how Spring Ball practices are going over there at East right now. It is kind of hard to go over anything when you don't even have a Head Coach.

any idea where Coach Hines ended up?

The last thing that I heard was that he was taking an Offensive Coordinator position at another high school. He is technically still the head coach at East because he hasn't signed the paperwork for the new position yet.

If only Davidson County paid more they might get a coach

Sometimes it is not about the money if you enjoy the job that you have. East, rather sooner than later, needs to hire a coach who will be a good mentor to the kids and give them guidance.

Reactions: truthofda336
Sometimes it is not about the money if you enjoy the job that you have. East, rather sooner than later, needs to hire a coach who will be a good mentor to the kids and give them guidance.
Other than hearing rumors in the community, I have little insight into this job. But here’s a thought.

I know that a lot of people at East were disappointed when Vance Hanner left. But the opportunity he had in Montgomery County was once in a lifetime. A brand new consolidated school with the likely principal being one of the best football coaches in North Carolina. A history of great community support. The fact that he realized belatedly that the grass isn’t always greener shouldn’t be a disqualifying factor.

Vance Hanner exactly describes the coach you mention. If he’s interested, East had better jump at the chance. If not, could you please ask him to apply for an assistant’s position at Thomasville? Any program would be lucky to have him. Class family, class guy.

I think Hanner will be named as the head coach in the next couple of days. The job was only opened as an "internal" vacancy. Only current Davidson County teachers can apply. The opening closed yesterday, so I think it will happen any day. Could be as early as today. The reaction by parents will be interesting.

I think Hanner will be named as the head coach in the next couple of days. The job was only opened as an "internal" vacancy. Only current Davidson County teachers can apply. The opening closed yesterday, so I think it will happen any day. Could be as early as today. The reaction by parents will be interesting.

Maybe the assistant pool will work hard this go around, could be why Ledford has a PE internal vacancy. Just a hunch.

I thought Vance Hanner did a great job while he was at East. I've said it before and I'll say it again, his offense wasn't flashy but it was effective. His defenses always played hard and swarmed to the ball. The learning curve shouldn't be that hard to adjust to considering the type of offense that Hines and Hanner likes to run. The only difference is that Hines likes to throw the ball more and Hanner's style is to wear you down with the run game. When you watch Hanner's teams from years past it seems as though you are watching the service academies play football and I'm ok with that.

Here are the final 4 from my sources

Dickie Cline
Bill Oakley
Eugene Everhart
Todd Shuping

Spring dead period begins next Friday (last ten days prior to exams) so they could be screwed on workouts for this spring.

Cline, while a solid coach, very old school and set in ways from what I have been told. Of the 4, Shuping I believe would be the youngest. Having someone who connects with the players on and off the field would be important to getting the most out of them, especially if you you still have a bunch of lazy lame duck assistants as was the case this season according to this message board.

I do not have a dog in this fight. But here is a random thought. My son played for East several years ago, so I still here rumblings in the community. The former head coach had the support of one assistant on the staff. Now the former head coach and that assistant are no longer with the school (the assistant mentioned is now a professional poster on NC Preps). So, there is a strong possibility that the current assistants were not the problem.

I do not have a dog in this fight. But here is a random thought. My son played for East several years ago, so I still here rumblings in the community. The former head coach had the support of one assistant on the staff. Now the former head coach and that assistant are no longer with the school (the assistant mentioned is now a professional poster on NC Preps). So, there is a strong possibility that the current assistants were not the problem.
For someone without a dog in the fight that seems pretty stout. I always thought when a new head coach comes that the assistants fall in line unless he is doing something illegal!!

Just announced today, Vance Hanner is the (new) head coach again at East. I will say this, in the position that the players were in with not having a coach for a while, this was probably the best scenario for the team. The players won't have to learn a whole new offense. I imagine he will run the same type of offense he ran before.

Last edited:
Just announced today, Vance Hanner is the (new) head coach again at East. He spoke to all the players at spring practice. I will say this, in the position that the players were in with not having a coach for a while, this was probably the best scenario for the team. The players won't have to learn a whole new offense. I imagine Hanner will run the same type of offense he ran before. I heard he did tell the players that he got a new perspective on some things and new ideas after coaching at Ledford the past year.
So I guess the 4 finalist was not real.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT