ADVERTISEMENT

Dudley at Crest Round 4

Yes Carver use to be the best team in Forsyth County during most of the 90's and early 2000's. I remember them having huge offensive linemen and a short qb, lol!!! But they would pound you down during those games. I remember how they would play West Charlotte down at Memorial and back in Winston with huge crowds over 8,000-10,000. Then I remember the Conference was Dudley, Carver, Parkland, Glenn, Southwest Guilford, Smith, Rockingham and Morehead. Carver Girls Basketball was one of the top in 3A as well. Then all of a sudden they drop from 2A to 1A and just fell off all around. I missed those Dudley-Carver Football games
Many Kings Mountain fans remember Carver well. Kings Mountain and Carver played each other in the 1998 state championship with Carver pulling it out at the end 33-28. A couple of years later (2001) Parkland defeated Crest in a state title game 27-21. We remember those Winston Salem teams well.

Im still curious to why Massey abandoned the run with Bubba in the second half. That KM and AL Brown was a classic. AL beat us 17-16 that year. FG kicker slipped in a mud puddle and that XP ended up being the deciding factor. Great year for football.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Many Kings Mountain fans remember Carver well. Kings Mountain and Carver played each other in the 1998 state championship with Carver pulling it out at the end 33-28. A couple of years later (2001) Parkland defeated Crest in a state title game 27-21. We remember those Winston Salem teams well.
I played at Dudley when Carver and Parkland was in our conference along with Glenn so our wars were brutal.

Im still curious to why Massey abandoned the run with Bubba in the second half. That KM and AL Brown was a classic. AL beat us 17-16 that year. FG kicker slipped in a mud puddle and that XP ended up being the deciding factor. Great year for football.
Everybody says that but from a coaching standpoint I can understand his thinking. Carver were loading the box and run blitzing every single play in the second half with their linebackers. Carvers lb’s were lining up in the ‘A’ gap and blitzing every play to take Hillman away. KM ran more option to beat it and passed to slots more to open it up. Carver’s defensive front was huge with exceptional speed in their secondary. Great game overall from a fan standpoint.

Everybody says that but from a coaching standpoint I can understand his thinking. Carver were loading the box and run blitzing every single play in the second half with their linebackers. Carvers lb’s were lining up in the ‘A’ gap and blitzing every play to take Hillman away. KM ran more option to beat it and passed to slots more to open it up. Carver’s defensive front was huge with exceptional speed in their secondary. Great game overall from a fan standpoint.
8 or 9 coaches since then has certainly not helped Carver. Probably half that many principals and AD’s. The scoreboard debacle did not help their image either.

When Coach Wilkes left and Aktins came along Carver never was the same and hasn't recovered since. Amongst some other things as low test scores and lack of resources. I hate it because everyone looked forward to Dudley vs Carver when it was competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: P.Saunders
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT