ADVERTISEMENT

3A Top Teams Assessment

Supermanklt

Sep 23, 2003
As we have entered the final two weeks of the regular season, who are the top teams in the state who can make a deep run into the playoffs. We know the the East has some strong teams that will battle it out. The West is loaded and will be an absolute gauntlet to get through.
Who are the teams you see making a deep push? What are the strengths of the team that will have them winning over other top teams in the state? Do they have weaknesses that concern you with two weeks left before playoffs begin.

I can only speak for oak grove in the west who basically should cake walk the rest of their schedule into the playoffs. They played a very good west Forsyth team down to the wire and save a few bone head turnovers they win that game ( but they didn’t). They have a pretty good qb but their passing game has been off all year, so they got two games to tighten it up. They fly to the ball and have a freshman LB who is gonna be insane to watch his JR year.

That said the 3A west is about as loaded as it has ever been and I don’t think this team can get past round theee, IF they make it there.

As an OG parent I think your assessment is spot on crazyduke. Passing game needs to tighten up, can’t have the turnovers on Offense we’ve had either. We have some good speed and our Defense does a good job flocking to the ball.

The defense has a solid base for the future with the LB and another freshman contributor in the secondary with some sophomores contributing this year.

Obviously everyone wants a championship but it’ll be tough. Would be happy with a trip to the 3rd round though. If they can start firing on all cylinders from the opening whistle they can compete but they can’t wait a quarter or half to decide to play or it will be an early exit.

As much as it pains me to say it, Crest's offense is close to impossible to stop. They are averaging over 50 points/game and it isn't all against cupcake teams either. 4 of those games were against Gaffney, Burns, Shelby and South Point. All 4 traditional powers. However, their defense could be their undoing. Those 4 games saw them give up an average of 39 points. So if they have just a small hiccup on offense for one night, I'm not sure their defense can stop a good team.

Kings Mountain will be the total opposite. Maybe the best defense in the state. They're giving up 8 ppg. They don't have to blitz to get to the QB. Their front 4 is massive, strong and fast. Offensively, they need to improve. Their passing game is non-existent but they can run the ball. If they match up against a good run defense, it will be a close game, and they could fall.

Top 4 West Charlotte, Crest, Dudley, 71st
Next tier ACR, Kings Mtn, Scotland, Oak Grove, South Point, Hickory....

Reactions: daletec
Top 4 West Charlotte, Crest, Dudley, 71st
Next tier ACR, Kings Mtn, Scotland, Oak Grove, South Point, Hickory....
I would definitely put West Henderson in that second tier. West is every bit in the same category as Reynolds, IMO, even with Guest playing and they are more balanced than some of the teams that are mentioned. They're built well to play multiple styles of ball.

I would definitely put West Henderson in that second tier. West is every bit in the same category as Reynolds, IMO, even with Guest playing and they are more balanced than some of the teams that are mentioned. They're built well to play multiple styles of ball.
West and Hickory have a common opponent and West played them better. They definitely belong.

Reactions: beamer24
I'm sure there are a few others JM Robinson, NW Cabarrus, Alamance has a few good teams, Nash has a few good teams plus Jacksonville and Havlock.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I have watched Crest ,Hickory, West Hendo , south point. Hickory and West are a lot alike but I would give the edge to West but both of those teams are good. I think West Hendo is the most complete team I have seen this year tho… overall team speed is good run defense is good can run the ball or pass the ball well ..Don’t sleep on South point also … but Crest is the best team I have watched offensively but man that defense is not great but it has made stops when absolutely needed. But my god that offense NASTY !!!!
I plan of going to see ACR this week and the the Crest v Kings mountain game. So I can get a feel for how ACR and Kings mountain will be come playoff time. Lots of great 3A teams this year

CarolinaPreps top 25 power rankings for week 10. Good records at this point of the season.

1) Dudley 8-0
2) Crest 8-0
3) Seventy First 8-0
4) Kings Mountain 8-0
5) West Charlotte 7-1
6) Northern Nash 8-0
7) Hickory 8-0
8) JM Robinson 8-0
9) Havelock 8-0
10) Scotland 7-1
11) NW Cabarrus 8-0
12) West Henderson 8-0
13) Jacksonville 6-1
14) Oak Grove 7-1
15) Southern Alamance 7-1
16) Southern Nash 7-1
17) Eastern Guilford 7-1
18) Cape Fear 6-2
19) Walter Williams 6-2
20) East Alamance 7-1
21) AC Reynolds 5-3
22) White Oak 7-1
23) South Point 4-4
24) Vance County 8-0
25) JB Hunt 7-1

Reactions: Swo1980
As an OG parent I think your assessment is spot on crazyduke. Passing game needs to tighten up, can’t have the turnovers on Offense we’ve had either. We have some good speed and our Defense does a good job flocking to the ball.

The defense has a solid base for the future with the LB and another freshman contributor in the secondary with some sophomores contributing this year.

Obviously everyone wants a championship but it’ll be tough. Would be happy with a trip to the 3rd round though. If they can start firing on all cylinders from the opening whistle they can compete but they can’t wait a quarter or half to decide to play or it will be an early exit.
As a former player parent I could only hope to see this group of boys go deep. Unfortunately I personally don’t see them going past second round. Best chance OG had so far was 2019 and they got robbed but still should have been able to win. They beat Salisbury that year and we know where Salisbury ended up. I’ll be keeping up closely with this group and hoping for another piece of history to be made.

Reactions: Drifter955
I will let the MOUNTIES know you CONSIDER them a NEXT TIER TEAM.
Mountie Pride delivers the news:

"Some random guy, somewhere in NC doesn't think you are the team to beat this year. How does that make you feel?"

Team looks around awkward and then BAM....

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT