ADVERTISEMENT

Did Roanoke Rapids Quit?

SWE'98

Aug 17, 2010
Farmville Central played RRHS last week and led 50-0 at the half. The word is that RRHS basically quit and decided not to play the second half. Does anyone know if this is actually the case? The only thing I can think of is maybe they wanted to avoid the risk of injury in a game that was unwinnable. But even then, giving up shouldn't be the answer. If they did just simply give up, I can't see them winning a single game this year, since the players are being taught to just lay down and quit. Has anyone heard of an actual reason why they didn't play the second half?

On Thursday, the Roanoke Rapids High School varsity football team lost their home game against Farmville Central of Farmville by a score of 50-0. Following a delay in the first half from lightning, at halftime RRHS forfeited the second half.

The Herald reached out to head coach Chris Lyons about his decision to forfeit the game.
“The safety of our kids is my number one priority,” Lyons said. “We had numerous kids who were injured and taken out of the game and numerous kids playing hurt. Taking a beating is something we as a team can do. Risking my kids health in a second half that was meaningless wasn’t something I was about to do. I’m sure it was an unpopular decision, but it was the decision that I felt needed to be made.”
RRHS will next play against Franklinton at home on Sept. 15. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.

Are the numbers that low? Were there not 11 able bodies available? Sincerely asking. Getting the bench some reps against the other team's second and third string isn't meaningless. Quite the opposite, actually. I just feel like his explanation opens up a bad precedent. There's a risk of injury on every snap. If he's concerned about that, then don't send anybody on the field at all. And what happens if they're down by 30 something late in a game? Is he gonna just throw in the towel then and there, to avoid injury when he realizes they might lose? We're getting beat badly and most likely won't win. I don't want to risk injury. Let's just stop playing.

That’s the question many are asking…personally, I would be surprised if the season is competed…More due to player dissent than actual injury. Haven’t gotten to the Nash County gauntlet yet, could be rough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT