ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus Pandemic with update from NCHSAA

I agree sammyk w yr premise. California really should be a rough place.

Check out the story at the link below. It's a little long but written by a smart guy that lives in California. Take note of the statistics on Chinese visitors to the state, the numbers of people that live in poverty and are homeless, the onset of the "early flu season," etc. Governor Newsome ordered the shutdown there March 20th+/-? That wasn't much sooner than the rest of most of the country. This article explains why California probably has less of a problem than most of us. His shutdown was only a small part of what has happened there.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/coronavirus-pandemic-california-herd-immunity/

Lastly, is it me or do the rest of you feel like not as many people are social distancing as our leaders claim? I mean when we go to stores we are forced to social distance, schools are out, churches can't meet and there are no sports. Traffic may be a little lighter but in my area folks seem to be doing about what they want.
Interesting story and I believe they’re onto something about how long the virus has been in the United States. The article was written March 31. The death toll in California is now at 821 and they’ve had an 85% increase in deaths in the last seven days. Still a low number and percentage considering the population. But they’re obviously not out of the woods yet.

No sir OC, California is not out of the woods nor is anyone else.

I am not on any bandwagon but the more I read and study this issue the more I believe testing is the key. Determining who has had it, and who has it, is big. At least one expert says if we could test everyone and quarantine those who have it, the virus would die out in a matter of weeks.

Universities and private research firms are working overtime to develop accurate tests. God speed.

Determining who has had it, and who has it, is big.
Latest I've heard is that they are aggressively pursuing the antibody that our bodies create when fighting something like this. This from what I understand is critical to testing, a vacine, and understanding the virus. They said people that have survived the virus which is a high percentage, should have this antibiotic in them. According to the experts, some people more than likely have had the virus, overcome it and don't even know they did.

If things does improve (I'm hoping and praying it does) I can only imagine the spectical at a game if we're made to wear masks. I've seen some the last few days that made me feel like I was living in the movie The Purge.
I've constantly been referencing that movie during all of this too! Lol. Personally, I think all of this will be over by then... but, just imagine what 15,000+ would look like at the Tuscola @ Pisgah game in early September wearing them, standing shoulder to shoulder, packed in that stadium like a can of vienna sausages. Kinda scary to think about.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBBear51
I've constantly been referencing that movie during all of this too! Lol. Personally, I think all of this will be over by then... but, just imagine what 15,000+ would look like at the Tuscola @ Pisgah game in early September wearing them, standing shoulder to shoulder, packed in that stadium like a can of vienna sausages. Kinda scary to think about.
Some cities and states are already saying they won’t allow mass gatherings (ball games, concerts, races, etc.) through the rest of 2020. That’s out of concern for the second wave. It will mostly affect those activities that need months to plan for certain venues, like professional sports and concerts. But obviously it will also affect high school and college sports in those areas.
I don’t think we’ll see that here, at least not now. Possible down the road if there’s a resurgence of cases and deaths. We’re plowing new ground here and anything’s possible.

Reactions: PBBear51 and sammyk
The largest trade show in North Carolina, the High Point furniture market, has been cancelled. Typically 75,000-100,000 people and held twice a year. $6 billion economic impact on the state.
It is usually held in April and October, but had been postponed until June 12th.
First cancellation since 1942.

Reactions: btango
They are now talking about all sports games without fans.Don't know if that includes high school or not.Would be better than no games at all.

They are now talking about all sports games without fans.Don't know if that includes high school or not.Would be better than no games at all.
I don’t see high school games without fans happening. Most athletic programs can’t take the hit on expenses without any revenue. Other levels of sports typically will have tv revenue, which will be higher with more folks watching games on tv. That impacts advertising dollars, resulting in greater tv money.

Reactions: superstar57
I don’t see high school games without fans happening. Most athletic programs can’t take the hit on expenses without any revenue. Other levels of sports typically will have tv revenue, which will be higher with more folks watching games on tv. That impacts advertising dollars, resulting in greater tv money.
The way they are giving away money these days they could probably cover the cost for schools easily.

Reactions: KW23
The way they are giving away money these days they could probably cover the cost for schools easily.
Don’t think the feds will provide any money for schools. And the state legislature hasn’t been particularly interested in looking after public schools. Of course, they could restore the 40% lottery share instead of the 22% they changed it to in the shell game they sold to the taxpayers. That 40% sounded great to the voters at the time. I doubt many of us even know they swiped that money for other projects and tax cuts.

Don’t think the feds will provide any money for schools. And the state legislature hasn’t been particularly interested in looking after public schools. Of course, they could restore the 40% lottery share instead of the 22% they changed it to in the shell game they sold to the taxpayers. That 40% sounded great to the voters at the time. I doubt many of us even know they swiped that money for other projects and tax cuts.

And that share would still be helpful if it was in surplus to the budget... but no... the state (as I wrote every single one of my representatives to tell them that it happen this way) chose to cut the budget and then just add the lottery revenue in place of the cut. Not a net gain.

Also, it makes the general public distrustful of school spending. If I had a quarter for everything I hear, “where is the lottery money?” Honestly, they 1/4 cent sales tax that passed back in 2014 In Davidson County was an absolute miracle. All indicators pointed to that referendum failing.

From what I'm hearing at the moment, things will crank up slowly and methodically to control the spread. If (big if there), things run smoothly without a blow up of cases, I think we will be ok come August. BUT (big but there), if things go south i.e a relapse, prep football 2020 will not happen.

Reactions: PisgahCatamount07
Yesterday Governor Cuoma was asked when he thought we would be able to open up the government again.His answer pretty well sums it up."No body know and so far they have all been wrong"

Last edited:
Reactions: PrepFanNC
I just thought recently about even in the biggest games, in our case Pisgah vs. Tuscola, and with all the animosity between the two schools, there is no better, no more thrilling place to be; you can call it hatred you can call it rivalry. Yet now, when it's all up in the air, there's no place I'd rather be. Sitting up in the stands with friends and family. Maybe it's a hot muggy night, maybe there's a chill in the air. Just looking around, taking it all in and loving every minute of it. I'm a watcher. I watch the players who aren't in the game to see what they're doing. I watch the third-string kicker who may never get in as he practices over and over. I see the cheerleaders and know that some of them are my friends' daughters. I see the mascot and think back a few years to when it was my daughter's friend inside that costume ("does it smell?? It has to!). All the extras that add to the game like the band, the photographers, the concession stands, the fans I have seen since I was a little kid at the fence 40+ years ago. I see the coaches strategizing and know this takes them back to when they played, and even though some of us didn't have the talent (me) or even Mom's permission to play, how we live vicariously though the players and how this game we love keeps us all young. The thought of how quickly the season seems to fly by, but year after year it comes back around.
This year, the thought of it not happening at all...for the players, coaches, band, fans, all of us, it would just be heartbreaking. That's my 2 cents.
There's some talk about a Spring 2021 NCAA Football season. Who knows?
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ruary-to-may-college-football-season-in-2021/

The feds just released a "suggested" format to reopening the country. I've been hearing a lot about "phases" from most of the state level government and now the federal and that makes sense to me. The time between each "phase" however will play a big factor on our boys of fall as well. That part, I would suspect, is a fluid/moving target. Anyways, high school openings and activities at the federal level, fall under phase two. Here's a quote I found, "In "phase two," non-essential travel for employers can resume. Schools and organized youth activity can reopen."
So hey, at least there is hope, just don't uncross them fingers yet.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
The feds just released a "suggested" format to reopening the country. I've been hearing a lot about "phases" from most of the state level government and now the federal and that makes sense to me. The time between each "phase" however will play a big factor on our boys of fall as well. That part, I would suspect, is a fluid/moving target. Anyways, high school openings and activities at the federal level, fall under phase two. Here's a quote I found, "In "phase two," non-essential travel for employers can resume. Schools and organized youth activity can reopen."
So hey, at least there is hope, just don't uncross them fingers yet.
It will vary greatly by state and even local jurisdictions, since governors and city and county officials make the decisions. The rest are suggestions with no force of law. As it should be.

I just thought recently about even in the biggest games, in our case Pisgah vs. Tuscola, and with all the animosity between the two schools, there is no better, no more thrilling place to be; you can call it hatred you can call it rivalry. Yet now, when it's all up in the air, there's no place I'd rather be. Sitting up in the stands with friends and family. Maybe it's a hot muggy night, maybe there's a chill in the air. Just looking around, taking it all in and loving every minute of it. I'm a watcher. I watch the players who aren't in the game to see what they're doing. I watch the third-string kicker who may never get in as he practices over and over. I see the cheerleaders and know that some of them are my friends' daughters. I see the mascot and think back a few years to when it was my daughter's friend inside that costume ("does it smell?? It has to!). All the extras that add to the game like the band, the photographers, the concession stands, the fans I have seen since I was a little kid at the fence 40+ years ago. I see the coaches strategizing and know this takes them back to when they played, and even though some of us didn't have the talent (me) or even Mom's permission to play, how we live vicariously though the players and how this game we love keeps us all young. The thought of how quickly the season seems to fly by, but year after year it comes back around.
This year, the thought of it not happening at all...for the players, coaches, band, fans, all of us, it would just be heartbreaking. That's my 2 cents.
There's some talk about a Spring 2021 NCAA Football season. Who knows?
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ruary-to-may-college-football-season-in-2021/

I’d be fine with a collegiate spring football season. I’m trying to think thru all the pros/cons of what a spring high school football season would look like. The only reason I’d support it is because I’m aware of the need for football to fund everything else. In college you can run every single sport in the spring and it won’t matter in the least. No overlap with coaches and any facility issues with small schools could be managed.
In high school, you’d have to cut some sports, or move them to the summer. Summer isn’t perfect, but there are a couple of states in the upper Midwest that run their baseball programs in the summer due to terrible spring weather.
I don’t think the product would be as good for the other sports that could be offered, but I’m okay with that too.

It will vary greatly by state and even local jurisdictions, since governors and city and county officials make the decisions.
Yep. Many are now getting together with neighboring states to work in tandem with them on reopening together. Haven't heard if NC is doing that yet. I heard NYs governor mention that his methodology will probably be an area by area depending on the impact of each area. That could probably be interpreted as county by county but IDK? So yeah, even if things go smoothly in reopening, there's gonna be lag time between different areas and understandably so. I would say too that when comes down to it each county and/or city will have the final say even after the state gov has given their ok.
Heard Buncombe County say today their closure at the moment is indefinite. I don't reckon Haywood has given any indication of timeline yet...?

Yep. Many are now getting together with neighboring states to work in tandem with them on reopening together. Haven't heard if NC is doing that yet. I heard NYs governor mention that his methodology will probably be an area by area depending on the impact of each area. That could probably be interpreted as county by county but IDK? So yeah, even if things go smoothly in reopening, there's gonna be lag time between different areas and understandably so. I would say too that when comes down to it each county and/or city will have the final say even after the state gov has given their ok.
Heard Buncombe County say today their closure at the moment is indefinite. I don't reckon Haywood has given any indication of timeline yet...?
Read today that college football is looking at a season of February through May. Fine, but the overlap with college basketball will be problematic.

If that does happen, this should be our out of tunnel tune.

It would be very problematic around WNC because it's a huge NCAA basketball fan base.

I think its safe to say that most places are NCAA basketball hot beds.

Not to sound cliche, but a big part of sport is the ability to adapt and deal with adversity. What would I do if I had to choose between 3 basketball games and a couple of football games that were happening on the same Saturday? Gosh, I’d be okay I think. Both sports need to happen though. Football more so than basketball for the smaller colleges. TV money doesn’t really trickle down to where most of the student athletes participate.

Reactions: PBBear51
I think its safe to say that most places are NCAA basketball hot beds.

Not to sound cliche, but a big part of sport is the ability to adapt and deal with adversity. What would I do if I had to choose between 3 basketball games and a couple of football games that were happening on the same Saturday? Gosh, I’d be okay I think. Both sports need to happen though. Football more so than basketball for the smaller colleges. TV money doesn’t really trickle down to where most of the student athletes participate.

I deal with that delima every week during football season. Sometimes I even wish I had no allegiance. I just find it fun to pick out what should be the weeks best game and go. I have planned all along since last season to be at the Pisgah-Tuscola game this year. Hard to make plans when things are so up in the air.

I deal with that delima every week during football season. Sometimes I even wish I had no allegiance. I just find it fun to pick out what should be the weeks best game and go. I have planned all along since last season to be at the Pisgah-Tuscola game this year. Hard to make plans when things are so up in the air.

I get that! So many games I want to see, but I’m usually stuck in the community watching the hometown teams. Still fun... but on a weak non-conference night, (or Lexington) I might go elsewhere.

A lot of comparison between Covid 19 and the flu. In the last full season with data, 2018-2019 season, there were 16.5 million cases of the flu with 34,000 deaths.
So far in 2020, 770,000+ Covid 19 cases with 41,000 deaths.
That puts into perspective the seriousness of Covid 19 versus the flu. Both are serious, but the current pandemic is much more deadly for those who get it.
The previous year, there were 61,000 flu deaths. Hopefully, we won’t get to that number.

On another note, the postmortem for the stimulus program for small businesses should be interesting. We know that the first $350 billion has run out and another $450 billion is being considered. It’s intended for small businesses (under 500 employees) to allow them to keep their employees working. One of the problems is that large chains are taking much of the money. The catch? If you’re a chain and have under 500 employees per location, you can qualify. Think of all the retail chains you can name that earn billions and have thousands of employees, but also have thousands of locations with many less than 500 employees each.
On a positive slant, major retailer Snack Shack has returned their funds so that true small businesses can use them. Occasionally, there is a conscience in corporate America.

I’m not trying to start a fight, but we have a reliable flu test... unlike the corona. we don’t know how many people were already infected with corona and your numbers could be skewed when we get the right test

Reactions: Lincolnton
I’m not trying to start a fight, but we have a reliable flu test... unlike the corona. we don’t know how many people were already infected with corona and your numbers could be skewed when we get the right test
No fight here. You’re right in that sense. Though I might disagree a little about the reliability of the flu test. I tested negative five times for the flu before the sixth and only positive sent me down a rabbit hole of months of coma, ventilator and feeding tube. But I obviously don’t underestimate the danger of the flu.

The scary part of Covid 19 is that we have no idea how many people are positive and asymptomatic. We know that we need to test roughly five to ten times the number of people than are currently being tested. And that many people will need to be tested multiple times to be considered truly negative. We don’t know whether antibodies will provide immunity...or for how long.

There is so much yet to be learned about this disease and it will take time. The number of positives will likely skyrocket as testing is more available and the percentage of deaths will probably drop. But it’s still, unlike the flu, a disease where everyone you come into contact with may give it to you. Whether they appear to be sick or not. That’s the huge and critical difference.

I’ve been a frequent critic of the Association, and Ms. Tucker, by default. This is a very well thought out and well stated explanation of the state of high school athletics. I commend her and the author for communicating the complexity of the situation. There are no great answers that will suit everyone. I’m glad these aren’t decisions I have to make.

There are no great answers that will suit everyone. I’m glad these aren’t decisions I have to make.
Correct and me either. But as it has already been discussed and she even mentioned it, high school football is where the money is, athletic programs will struggle without it and some could fold if they loose both FB and Basketball IMO.

I was told today by a local school official that there may be some news in the next day or two about this fall. He didn’t have an indication of what may be the plan that is settled on.

So there's still a chance??

Always a chance, but you know what they say about a snowball and hell. LOL. I’m thinking we will be having spring football. IMO, starting on time would be no fans and high schools can’t afford to play like that.

I have no idea what will be announced today, but find it hard to believe that it will be spring football games. They may make that decision thirty days from now. But can’t imagine why they would decide that today.

Giving up some of the trappings of today’s football won’t kill it as long as all teams are on a level playing field. High school football did well for many years with only the ability to start formal group activity in August. It will survive one year of that, if necessary.

Spring football has its own share of challenges. If we postpone games now for rain, think of the effect on the gate playing games in February or March. What about the field conditions on fields without turf? How will it affect other sports, especially in smaller schools? What about the elite players who transition to college in January as early entries? Football without the big names?

I’m not against spring football if it’s needed. But it doesn’t need to be a knee jerk decision. Have a plan, sure. But it’s still early to make that a done deal.

Reactions: NWWatchdog
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT