ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus Pandemic with update from NCHSAA

I have no idea what will be announced today, but find it hard to believe that it will be spring football games. They may make that decision thirty days from now. But can’t imagine why they would decide that today.

Giving up some of the trappings of today’s football won’t kill it as long as all teams are on a level playing field. High school football did well for many years with only the ability to start formal group activity in August. It will survive one year of that, if necessary.

Spring football has its own share of challenges. If we postpone games now for rain, think of the effect on the gate playing games in February or March. What about the field conditions on fields without turf? How will it affect other sports, especially in smaller schools? What about the elite players who transition to college in January as early entries? Football without the big names?

I’m not against spring football if it’s needed. But it doesn’t need to be a knee jerk decision. Have a plan, sure. But it’s still early to make that a done deal.
Big question mark in my mind is if the football season is moved to spring, how well will the following season transition? Albeit, that's not an impossible task but a tall one especially for schools and staff.
That's ten straight months of football. I'm good with that but like I said, that would be gruling to staff.

Last edited:
Someone help me out here.

What difference does it make when the sports are played?

All of the students will be sitting next to each other in classes during the day whether it is in the fall or the spring. Can't hardly social distance in the classrooms.

Reactions: btango
Someone help me out here.

What difference does it make when the sports are played?

All of the students will be sitting next to each other in classes during the day whether it is in the fall or the spring. Can't hardly social distance in the classrooms.

Article in The Raleigh Newspaper that says if school starts back they will be no sports or lunchrooms open.

Big question mark in my mind is if the football season is moved to spring, how well will the following season transition? Albeit, that's not an impossible task but a tall one especially for schools and staff.
That's ten straight months of football. I'm good with that but like I said, that would be gruling to staff.

Eliminate the summer workouts. Once season has ended, no football related activities til August 1. That would be nice little break.

Complete statement:

EWzFtXQWAAIpRoO

Reactions: PBBear51
I have no idea what will be announced today, but find it hard to believe that it will be spring football games. They may make that decision thirty days from now. But can’t imagine why they would decide that today.

Giving up some of the trappings of today’s football won’t kill it as long as all teams are on a level playing field. High school football did well for many years with only the ability to start formal group activity in August. It will survive one year of that, if necessary.

Spring football has its own share of challenges. If we postpone games now for rain, think of the effect on the gate playing games in February or March. What about the field conditions on fields without turf? How will it affect other sports, especially in smaller schools? What about the elite players who transition to college in January as early entries? Football without the big names?

I’m not against spring football if it’s needed. But it doesn’t need to be a knee jerk decision. Have a plan, sure. But it’s still early to make that a done deal.
It's really hard for me to see football pushed to spring 2021. Only way it could possibly work would be to swap ALL the spring sports and fall sports for 1 year. It's not as big of a deal in 3A and 4A schools, but it would be devastating in many 1A and 2A schools. In lots of 1A and 2A programs your better baseball players also play football. If they don't play baseball, many run track or do field events. Imagine making a kid choose between the 2 when they are really good at both - in the end, all of those programs (football, baseball, track) would suffer. Imagine the blowback if they move football to spring and DON'T make adjustments to spring sports - Is Que going to say "sorry guys, hate you're screwed 2 years in a row, but you are."? The only way spring football works is if the NCHSAA moves spring sports to the fall of 2020, playing regular season of late August/beginning of Sept. to mid/late October, playoffs late October to mid November.

A better option would be a shortened FB season in the fall (7/8 games instead of 11), maybe mid Sept start. The NCHSAA could supplement HS programs who lose FB revenue with a stipend from the Endowment Fund. It wouldn't recuperate all lost revenue but it would offset some lost revenue. The multi-million dollar endowment fund is there for emergencies - if this doesn't qualify, I don't know what does. There are no great solutions for this one.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
It's really hard for me to see football pushed to spring 2021. Only way it could possibly work would be to swap ALL the spring sports and fall sports for 1 year. It's not as big of a deal in 3A and 4A schools, but it would be devastating in many 1A and 2A schools. In lots of 1A and 2A programs your better baseball players also play football. If they don't play baseball, many run track or do field events. Imagine making a kid choose between the 2 when they are really good at both - in the end, all of those programs (football, baseball, track) would suffer. Imagine the blowback if they move football to spring and DON'T make adjustments to spring sports - Is Que going to say "sorry guys, hate you're screwed 2 years in a row, but you are."? The only way spring football works is if the NCHSAA moves spring sports to the fall of 2020, playing regular season of late August/beginning of Sept. to mid/late October, playoffs late October to mid November.

A better option would be a shortened FB season in the fall (7/8 games instead of 11), maybe mid Sept start. The NCHSAA could supplement HS programs who lose FB revenue with a stipend from the Endowment Fund. It wouldn't recuperate all lost revenue but it would offset some lost revenue. The multi-million dollar endowment fund is there for emergencies - if this doesn't qualify, I don't know what does. There are no great solutions for this one.
What about playoffs, that's another six weeks tacked on?

Here is the link to Raleigh News & Observer article

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article242316191.html

If, there are no sports, DPI is going to find out what coaches have known for years. Sports is probably the biggest, and best, drop-out prevention program we have. There will be a large percentage of kids that won't come back. I already believe we will see a huge increase in the number of kids home schooled, or at least saying they are home schooled.

As to numbers growing. More testing equals more infections. Irony is the more positive tests that we get, the lower the death rate ends up becoming. Anti-body testing is already showing that as much as 20% of the population is asymptomatic. Lots of studies are out there worldwide and many are pointing to an overall death rate of less than 1%.

We will be forced to change some because we live in a CYA world but I agree with whomever said earlier that things are trending in a positive direction. For more reading that offers hope see this link.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-vaccine-oxford-university-scientists-september/

I'm glad the NCHSAA is taking a wait and see approach. The next 6 weeks will tell us a lot.

Well, as far as how the press conference went, let's just say that no news is good news. I am sure the NCHSAA will see what Governor Cooper decides about opening up schools.

Let’s see.
Coronavirus has already killed more Americans in less than two months than the Oklahoma City bombing, 9/11 and twenty years of the Vietnam war....combined.
More than the flu last year.
Yep, sounds like a hoax to me.[/
https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-deaths-october-1918

read that. It’ll give perspective on how weak our society has become. I know it’s bad. I wouldn’t want it nor would I want my family affected. I do believe we could issues gloves and masks. Keep people 6 feet apart and open the country back up.

Valid point of view. Unfortunately, there are many areas of our economy that don’t allow for six foot social distancing. Movie theaters? Sporting events? Barber shops? Even restaurants with much less than maximum capacity. Small retail stores with 500 square feet of space? Offices of insurance agents?
I think the combination of testing, social distancing, exploring antibody testing and its effectiveness, a search for a vaccine and gradual reopening are the most prudent approaches. In other words, exactly what we’re doing in North Carolina. I think that most of the economy that should be open already is open. Certainly there are exceptions. But Executive Order 121provides that businesses that can maintain six feet of distance “among its employees” can be open. Not just customers, but employees.
The problem with a wide open approach with this disease is that, when anyone accepts the risk for themselves by not following the guidelines (the federal government’s by the way), they assume it for everyone they come into contact with...and everyone they come into contact with.. and on and on.
It’s real, it’s here, and it’s not going away tomorrow. But, with good decisions by our leaders, it will go away. If we listen.

What about playoffs, that's another six weeks tacked on?
Yes, but if you start a shortened 8 week season in Mid September (1st game on the Sept.18th) you’d finish the regular season at the exact same time as normal (1st Friday in November). Playoffs would occur like normal. If it’s the 1st Friday in October before you can start, you play a 7 game regular season and shorten playoffs by 1 round. Some football is better than none.

I think the coronavirus is a complete overreaction by the government
is 60,000 deaths in 2 months (more than the Vietnam War in 2 decades) and someone mentioned less than 1%, well with our population 1%= 3,270,00 deaths! Is that acceptable? I want everything to reopen, but we've got to stop this think first and if you check the N&O numbers on total cases, new cases daily, daily hospitalizations and deaths, we're not stopping things yet As contagious as this disease is we're not going to stop it in 2-3-4 months. I love high school football but dont want anyone risking their lives for it. Anyone that thinks this is overacting and politcally driven is not dealing with reality.
This is all I'll post on the matter. I don't want to argue it. I just hope we can see games in a healthy environment as soon as possible.

Yes, but if you start a shortened 8 week season in Mid September (1st game on the Sept.18th) you’d finish the regular season at the exact same time as normal (1st Friday in November). Playoffs would occur like normal. If it’s the 1st Friday in October before you can start, you play a 7 game regular season and shorten playoffs by 1 round. Some football is better than none.
yes shorten the playoffs and don't split classifications, 4 rounds to a championship is enough

At best I forsee a flip of spring and fall sports

From the WS Journal:

The board discussing other topics, including:

Realignment. Tucker described a plan for its next realignment similar to a tape recorder: The "pause button" has been pushed, although she aims to have a plan approved by March 2021. The realignment committee has had only two in-person meetings because of the pandemic. She hopes to have more information for the NCHSAA's regional meetings in September.

Eligibility and physicals. The board approved use of Pre-Participation Examinations (PPE) conducted on or after April 1, 2019, and will allow eligibility for athletes who passed this academic year's grade level.

Football contact. Weekly preseason scrimmages will be reduced from seven to five hours per week when football returns, and teams will have 48 hours of no contact between scrimmages but not including jamborees. During preseason practices, from Aug. 1 to the Monday prior to the start of the season, players will be limited to 15 minutes of live action contact per group per day. When the regular season kicks off, players are limited to 15 minutes per week. Contact includes full-speed drills and scrimmages between offense and defense that involve tackling. For spring practice in 2021, a simulation of a live action drill ending in no player taken to the ground will be permitted for 60 minutes per day.

Here is a question, one I’m not sure their is a good answer for. If fall and spring sports are switched, such as football goes to spring and baseball comes to the fall. How will the schools pay the bills? Every AD out their has always said spring sports cost money, and without football in the fall to make the money how is flipping the sports financially doable? From busses to officials and electricity, it takes a lot to run true spring sports. The best they can hope to do is break even, and even that may be a stretch. Take in to consideration the economy is down and a lot of small local business that would give boosters support will probably not be available, hopefully in a year or 2 those funds will come back. I could be wrong but I believe the only option is to have football in the fall, push it back if we have to but football has to play 1st so every other sport have have their piece of the pie. Am I correct in this view?

I didn't read all the thread, but in the end could this possibly help HS football?

Here is where I am going, sports have been hard as a whole for the state to maintain for awhile. Would it be easier for kids to play maybe "county" teams. That way based on population each county would have a certain number of teams, Mecklenburg County is huge they may have 5 teams, Duplin county may only have 2.

Here is my thinking, kids can play for the county team that want them, and they want to play for, better football because your picking from the best in your county, and in the end we could have a true state champion.

County could still keep up with grades and qualifications. I just think the booster money would be great, and football attendance would be insane.

Anyway bored liked everyone else, it's just a thought.

if you guys are waiting on a vaccine to totally prevent this virus.....you're whistling in the dark.......hell might freeze over first..........life is full of risks.......40 to 50 thousand die every year in car accidents.....you wanna outlaw motor vehicles too.???

Reactions: dplubo
if you guys are waiting on a vaccine to totally prevent this virus.....you're whistling in the dark.......hell might freeze over first..........life is full of risks.......40 to 50 thousand die every year in car accidents.....you wanna outlaw motor vehicles too.???
No, but we have vehicle safety inspections, seat belt laws, stop signs and stop lights, speed limits. You get my drift.
I don’t think many people are wanting or expecting a vaccine before there are any changes in our current situation. But a gradual easing back into our pre-pandemic life may avoid many more deaths. Especially that second wave that could hit around our usual flu season. Exactly what that looks like is anybody’s guess. And frankly, it will be a day to day, week to week assessment of the data. I can live with that...I hope:)

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Sixty thousand died in a month because of this virus,big difference.

Spring and Fall Seasons in the same calendar yet would be near impossible to pull off.

I got a question.If these senior don't get to play sports next year can they still transfer to Christ school or one of the other schools that allow and extra year of high school sports.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Reactions: GSO-Triple5
If a second wave doesn’t hit before then and we keep on the downward trajectory, I think there’s a chance of regular fall football season. But it could mean no practice before August and maybe even reduced capacity at stadiums.
I seriously doubt whether there will be any summer practices or baseball leagues.
The ultimate test will be how many people engage in various activities even when restrictions are lifted. Personally, I don’t plan to sit down in a restaurant this summer and won’t be sitting shoulder to shoulder at a ball game, movie theater or concert. But everyone must determine that risk for themselves once everything is open. I just hope that people realize that it’s not just your well being that’s at stake. That whole asymptomatic carrier thing may be the most daunting thing about the whole deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT