ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Games Only?

BlueDevil1996

May 20, 2020
As we have seen this past week - We have seen Drastic changes in College Football landscape with some league canceling their season or suspending Fall season or Moving to the Spring n or Conference Games only

So with that being said - If HS Sports don’t wanna move to the spring season , Do u play a Shorten Fall season with Conference Games only n Don’t start until Sept ? I feel this could be a option if we don’t flip seasons

Thoughts?

No reason to sugar coat it, there will not be a high school season this year.

No way the NCHSAA will allow certain member schools in specific areas of the state to play when others will not even be in school. Foolish to think that a sport where contact is a given will be allowed. Schools cancel or postpone/move up games for a threat (50% chance) of thunderstorms three days in advance and we are to believe they will allow games when there might be a rotation to be in class during the week, limited or no locker room availability, and limited access to training rooms?

I love high school football and I love Friday nights. I want things to be normal but what happens when a 17 year old tests positive during weekly or daily testing and the entire team has to be quarantined for 14 days? How can a schedule happen? Show me how any football team can practice social distancing at a practice where offensive lineman splits are inches apart and someone is head up on you?
Some schools have limited resources and are not going to be able to do the things that will be mandated by the state on a minute by minute basis. Colleges and pros have better chances to play but I see no way that the seasons are complete.

Call me negative or whatever, but think about it. Doesnt need to be a political discussion or blamed on politics, but it is what it is. I simply have resigned to accept the fact that the upcoming season will not happen.

Bash away......

There’s another element to this that may end up being bigger than athletics. No matter what plan is used, I believe teacher turnover will skyrocket this year. There are already shortages of qualified teachers in most systems. And think about the bus driver situation. That too has been problematic in many areas. Signing bonuses and much higher pay are already happening in some systems. I saw signs last year in Virginia with $1000 signing bonus and $18/hour.
If it’s in person, bigger shortages of drivers. If it’s virtual, many will move on go other jobs.

Reactions: superstar57
There’s another element to this that may end up being bigger than athletics. No matter what plan is used, I believe teacher turnover will skyrocket this year. There are already shortages of qualified teachers in most systems. And think about the bus driver situation. That too has been problematic in many areas. Signing bonuses and much higher pay are already happening in some systems. I saw signs last year in Virginia with $1000 signing bonus and $18/hour.
If it’s in person, bigger shortages of drivers. If it’s virtual, many will move on go other jobs.

Online learning, parents not being able to use school as daycare, and high school sports becomes a county sport ( one team).

I talked to a business man, and we were discussing how this virus is showing me that companies can do things with less people. Same with schools. The mass shootings were already a problem. Funding has always been a problem. Corona virus is not the only virus to come.

Whole new world!

Reactions: UNC91
I’m in agreement with those in this post that are of the belief that there will not be a fall season of football.

But I’ll play along with the conference only idea, just for discussion’s sake.

So, we have 2A conferences with 5 teams (I think). Four conference games.
We have 2A conferences with 10 teams (one, the Central Carolina Conference). Nine conference games.

How can we make this equitable? Not only that, what if a top tier team in the CCC, like Ledford has to play a conference slate of the top four teams in the CCC, while another contender, (lets say N. Davidson) might only have to play mostly bottom tier teams in which they’d win before they even got out of the locker room...

Surely the CCC isn’t the only conference with a well defined “contender vs non-contender” line.

It’d be a shame for a team to “finish last”, when we all known they’d have finished in the top 4 if they’d have played the full slate.

Reactions: ocdavis31
I worry about the long term effects and immediate dangers many kids/homes will suffer because of "distance learning". I fear the cost is not equal with the approach and beyond some personal reasons, this lays heavy on me.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
If we as a country would have done what is necessary in the beginning to slow the spread of the virus we would be in a position to reopen schools like other nations. We did not do that. There was no national plan to combat the pandemic, just 50 different patchwork’s thrown together. It did not work and we are dealing with it now.

Schools should have been the priority from the beginning because of how important they are to everything else. Instead, our government focused on politics. We have wasted these months when we should have been preparing. There is no plan to safely open up schools, only hollow words at this point.

Now I see on the news they’re threatening to cut funding to schools, I’m sure that will fix the issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT