ADVERTISEMENT

Chase @Shelby

Plus 2 wildcard teams... For the entire field
I know it won’t be done, but I’d like to see a slight revision that would allow for the possibility of COVID forfeits in the playoffs.
For instance, if after brackets are set, a team has to forfeit, allow the team next in line for a wild card to replace them. Perhaps do the same after round one. After that, let it play out.
This is not sour grapes from a UNC fan. Florida State deserves to be where they are. But tonight’s ACC final was way too easy for both participants because of COVID. I would just hate to see a decent but not great team skate to a championship. Hopefully, forfeits won’t have a major impact.

I been watching Shelby football for 50 years and when have they ever been able to cover a kickoff?? With all the success of the program, kickoffs and punt returns have been a problem.

Last night was a scare. For the Love of God can we not cover a kick off. Can we not run a 3-4 when we have more Dline man than LBs and please could we actually use the weights in the weight room? I mean who is our strength and conditioning coach? We 9/10 have more athletes than anyone we play but the opposing team is stronger and we end up with games like this. Everybody is the same size!!! I have been a fan coming to games, traveling for games since mid 80s and can only remember a handful of times were it looked like our boys actually lift a finger the weight room. We won but i seen no discipline from our guys tonight. Now that I’m done ranting. Way to finish strong and move on to the next
Yeah and I hope a certain player who got himself thrown out last week learned a lesson cause he not only hurt himself but his absence most certainly was a big contributing factor in Shelby almost getting beat last night. Players have to stay quiet and the let refs take care of the game.

Reactions: theTRUEdynasty
Also could someone explain to me what happened when the refs gave Chase a do over on the extra point. Cause time had run out on the play clock. Then the ball was snapped and the holder was called down due to a bad snap. No time out was given to Chase. Then all the refs gathered in a circle and then gave Chase another try. Not saying they were wrong or cheating Shelby, cause I saw several times they called things on Chase that weren't correct calls. Just trying to figure out what happened.

Last night was a scare. For the Love of God can we not cover a kick off. Can we not run a 3-4 when we have more Dline man than LBs and please could we actually use the weights in the weight room? I mean who is our strength and conditioning coach? We 9/10 have more athletes than anyone we play but the opposing team is stronger and we end up with games like this. Everybody is the same size!!! I have been a fan coming to games, traveling for games since mid 80s and can only remember a handful of times were it looked like our boys actually lift a finger the weight room. We won but i seen no discipline from our guys tonight. Now that I’m done ranting. Way to finish strong and move on to the next

We're still in a pandemic, what kind of workouts do you think a LARGE GROUP of HIGH SCHOOL KIDS will do TOGETHER? Especially back in the fall...

One last thing on this post , that was pretty classy of coach Wilbanks not to score again at end, with ball inside 10, he chose to down ball..
Score could been 55-41. Nice job Coach

One last thing on this post , that was pretty classy of coach Wilbanks not to score again at end, with ball inside 10, he chose to down ball..
Score could been 55-41. Nice job Coach
Sorry, bro, but giving up 41 points to Chase is still “bag over the head worthy”, regardless. They were obviously shutout by Burns the previous week. I’m not buying Chase being this good team. Solid team with a few athletes? Absolutely! They always have a few athletes with former Trojan, Carlos Watkins, being currently in the NFL. Their problem is being undermanned.

That 3-4 needs to be scrapped ASAP. One of the biggest D lines in Shelby’s history, the strength of Shelby’s team, and we’re running a 3-4. I’m obviously not a coach, but you run that D whenever you have superior linebacker play. Next week’s game vs Burns is a statement game, period. It’s going to reveal a lot. Thankfully, I will be attending this one.

Last edited:
Sorry, bro, but giving up 41 points to Chase is still “bag over the head worthy”, regardless. They were obviously shutout by Burns the previous week. I’m not buying Chase being this good team. Solid team with a few athletes? Absolutely! They always have a few athletes, with former Trojan, Carlos Watkins, being currently in the NFL. Their problem is being undermanned.

That 3-4 needs to be scrapped ASAP. One of the biggest D lines in Shelby’s history, the strength of Shelby’s team, and we’re running a 3-4. I’m obviously not a coach, but you run that D whenever you have superior linebacker play. Next week’s game vs Burns is a statement game, period. It’s going to tell a lot. Thankfully, I will be attending this one.
+1

Reactions: Bulldog_012
LA, oh I agree 100% I don't like this Defense, even talked to Dax fri, he says to hard for High school kids to learn it, there's to much talent on D to be getting hammered like they have.
I hope something gives soon...

Everyone said the same thing about Shelby O when Coach Ware switched from the wing t to the spread. I think that ended up being a good move in the long run

We're still in a pandemic, what kind of workouts do you think a LARGE GROUP of HIGH SCHOOL KIDS will do TOGETHER? Especially back in the fall...
As i stated i have been a fan a very long time. Weight room nor weights has ever been a big part of the program. My son says it’s no more than a free period. In my opinion we have relied on our athletes to be athletes time and tome again and said to hell with weights. That nonsense is starting to catch up with us. Look at our loses we have recent years. Was it because we were bad? No we were beat up front on both sides of the ball. Don’t believe me pull up the loses. Eye in the sky don’t lie.

I agree with u on weight room, I'm a big workout person, Shelby has used speed and Athletic personality in past, but your right in years past not being physical has cost us...hoping the new fieldhouse will turn the weight program around

I been watching Shelby football for 50 years and when have they ever been able to cover a kickoff?? With all the success of the program, kickoffs and punt returns have been a problem.
The only time I can think of was when Clint Gwuantney (not sure of the spelling) was our kicker in 1987. He just kicked em all in the end zone.

As i stated i have been a fan a very long time. Weight room nor weights has ever been a big part of the program. My son says it’s no more than a free period. In my opinion we have relied on our athletes to be athletes time and tome again and said to hell with weights. That nonsense is starting to catch up with us. Look at our loses we have recent years. Was it because we were bad? No we were beat up front on both sides of the ball. Don’t believe me pull up the loses. Eye in the sky don’t lie.
In the last 7 years we have won 6 State Championships.Won over a 100 games and lost around 10 games.Crest has not been past the 2nd round in 5 years so have they quit hitting the weight room?

In the last 7 years we have won 6 State Championships.Won over a 100 games and lost around 10 games.Crest has not been past the 2nd round in 5 years so have they quit hitting the weight room?

Only team that has really made Shelby sweat in recent years in the playoffs is Hibriten and now Burns as of last season. If you had to Run through Kings Mountain, Charlotte Catholic and Weddington with a few other flash pan teams having a decent season then I bet Shelbys championship count would be a little different. I will add however, Crest had no business losing to West Rowan last season...that was just bad coaching.

Without Shelbys Tj Ruff and Borders where would u be this year 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Jokimg...

SHS lion
U's win causes you play weak teams, just like Da New Bears , but HSFB man says when U's travel away and plays a GOOD teams which is never U's either ties R's lose. That Da botton line causes HSFB man and Da Rabble says so.

• Haha
Reactions: Crestuff
^ I dont know why but this dude always makes me giggle....

This season has been a bit of a struggle so far but we've won em all... (so far)

We will be in the thick of things come playoff time, as usual.......

HSFB your post makes no sense. I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about. But it is fun to try and figure out what you are saying!

Let’s be honest for once here guys, our athletes vs other 2A athletes has been our reason for success. My viewpoint is much bigger picture than just those state wins. The weight room is on the back burners at SHS. The games we struggle or did lose was because the other team played more physical than We did period. We loving the outcome but I’m more interested in the process which will make them more appealing for life after SHS. More sense of urgency around academics and weight lifting is needed.

Reactions: Lion Attack
Play somebody in the playoffs. Good grief. Move on up and you’d get ate up with the Weddingtons and Catholics. Don’t act like you don’t know it either. You clowns kill me. Hell, you won titles multiple times and weren’t even the best team in the County.
You’re deflecting. Chase just dropped 41 on your NFL defense. Put the crack Pipe down.

Last edited:
Let’s be honest for once here guys, our athletes vs other 2A athletes has been our reason for success. My viewpoint is much bigger picture than just those state wins. The weight room is on the back burners at SHS. The games we struggle or did lose was because the other team played more physical than We did period. We loving the outcome but I’m more interested in the process which will make them more appealing for life after SHS. More sense of urgency around academics and weight lifting is needed.
You are out of the loop buddy I see Shelby Athletes working out with personal trainers all the time on FB and IG. All Cleveland County Schools have football weight programs that challenge their athletes ...

Play somebody in the playoffs. Good grief. Move on up and you’d get ate up with the Weddingtons and Catholics. Don’t act like you don’t know it either. You clowns kill me. Hell, you won titles multiple times and weren’t even the best team in the County.
You’re deflecting. Chase just dropped 41 on your NFL defense. Put the crack Pipe downn
That’s stupid. We play 2a teams because we are 2a. In 2017 we beat a undefeated defending 3a champion in SP to advance. Do you remember in 14 and 15 the Chargers beat Shelby by 6 and 7 points and then went on and destroyed your opponents in the state championship games.

That’s stupid. We play 2a teams because we are 2a. In 2017 we beat a undefeated defending 3a champion in SP to advance. Do you remember in 14 and 15 the Chargers beat Shelby by 6 and 7 points and then went on and destroyed your opponents in the state championship games.
Why hasn’t Shelby petitioned the NCHSAA to play up in the Big South? Huss has 2A numbers but asked to move up. They see no value in beating up on conference members Bessemer City (1A) Cherryville (1A) Highland Tech (1A) Thomas Jefferson (1A)

Why hasn’t Shelby petitioned the NCHSAA to play up in the Big South? Huss has 2A numbers but asked to move up. They see no value in beating up on conference members Bessemer City (1A) Cherryville (1A) Highland Tech (1A) Thomas Jefferson (1A)

Huss has 3A #’s, and believe it was more than SP, or SC.

Reactions: burnsbulldogtweeter
Huss has 3A #’s, and believe it was more than SP, or SC.
The doc I saw on NCHSAA website had Huss in same conf with Shelby and the four 1A teams. Gaston Gazette reported on March 10
“In this situation, the biggest winner is Hunter Huss and the rest of Big South 3A. Initially planned to be part of a split 1A/2A league with Bessemer City, Burns, Cherryville, East Gaston, Highland Tech, Shelby and Thomas Jefferson, the school’s administration won an appeal to continue play with its current conference foes.”
Guess Shelby would rather be a big lion in a small forest instead of an average lion in the 3A jungle.

Reactions: crestrulz
The doc I saw on NCHSAA website had Huss in same conf with Shelby and the four 1A teams. Gaston Gazette reported on March 10
“In this situation, the biggest winner is Hunter Huss and the rest of Big South 3A. Initially planned to be part of a split 1A/2A league with Bessemer City, Burns, Cherryville, East Gaston, Highland Tech, Shelby and Thomas Jefferson, the school’s administration won an appeal to continue play with its current conference foes.”
Guess Shelby would rather be a big lion in a small forest instead of an average lion in the 3A jungle.
Shelby has fielded some pretty elite teams over the last 7-8 years. Regardless of classification you have to admit that. I will be honest though this upcoming conference is a waste of time for Shelby. Who in their right mind benefits from us winning by 40+ every week, and our starters playing the first half (maybe). Will winning state championships in 2a become irrelevant? By the sound of this board, it's starting to look like it. If I lived in Cleveland County (with shelbys conference) i'd transfer to Crest in a heartbeat. Some say that's why TJ Ruff left, he thought playing up would provide him more college opportunities.

You right Crest got the better of that deal because Ruff Is the most electrifying athlete in County and Borders is capable of making big plays. Huitt is unknown at this time but should adjust as the season goes on.
YUP. Ruff and Borders are sorely missed this year. Hollifield on defense as well. Huitt doesnt transfer to Shelby if Ruff is still there.

Only team that has really made Shelby sweat in recent years in the playoffs is Hibriten and now Burns as of last season. If you had to Run through Kings Mountain, Charlotte Catholic and Weddington with a few other flash pan teams having a decent season then I bet Shelbys championship count would be a little different. I will add however, Crest had no business losing to West Rowan last season...that was just bad coaching.

They have short memories. KM proved this point with their lopsided win over the golden kittens

Shelby has fielded some pretty elite teams over the last 7-8 years. Regardless of classification you have to admit that. I will be honest though this upcoming conference is a waste of time for Shelby. Who in their right mind benefits from us winning by 40+ every week, and our starters playing the first half (maybe). Will winning state championships in 2a become irrelevant? By the sound of this board, it's starting to look like it. If I lived in Cleveland County (with shelbys conference) i'd transfer to Crest in a heartbeat. Some say that's why TJ Ruff left, he thought playing up would provide him more college opportunities.

It’s going to get a lot more competitive with no more split classes. Plus I want to see what reidsville can do vs some of these 2aa teams that no nothing of us.

Reactions: beamer24
Both Shelby and Burns need to get creative in scheduling over the next 4 years in this garbage conference. Obviously we'll both play Crest and KM, but the other non-conference games need to be competitive games. Or we will not be ready for the playoffs. Especially going down to just 4 classifications.

Reactions: Bulldog_012
That says it all right there. They have EGOS's as big as Coon Dog's HEAD. They're not going to ask to play up because they know exactly what will take place. It does not matter to me what they say. I'll admit it in front of you all. Shelby has a fantastic program, they play good football, and they play teams up in class from time to time.

With all that said. I do not care how many students they have, look at the percentage of those students that play football. Take a picture of the sidelines. They have 3A numbers on that football team, Hunter Huss has one thing Shelby lacks apparently.......................................... NUTS!

Every year is a little different. There are years that I would argue that the 2A champion would wipe the floor with the 3AA champion, and other years the 2A champion would lose in the 1st Round of the 3AA playoffs. One could argue that both the 2015 and 2016 Shelby teams could've been threats to win 2A/2AA/3A/3AA championships. Those teams went 31-1, with only a 40-33 loss to Crest, a game that could've gone either way and went down to the wire. Shelby played multiple 3A and 3AA playoff teams those years...Freedom, A.C. Reynolds, Burns, Kings Mountain, Crest, and South Point. 2006 Shelby was also undefeated and beat 4A North Mecklenburg and 3A Crest, Kings Mountain, Freedom, Ashbrook, and Brevard...

2003 Shelby beat Crest, who went on to win state championship. 2004 Shelby and Crest played one of the all-time best games I've ever seen, with Crest winning 38-35...Crest won the 3AA championships both years and Shelby lost in the 2A Western final in 2003 and the 2A State Championship in 2004. Not much difference in 2A/2AA/3A/3AA those years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT