ADVERTISEMENT

Charter schools

Especially when you learn that charters are public schools. If you are capable of such things.
👆🏻this guy= fool. Well again unless you teach or coach then stfu. Maybe you can comprehend that. Charter schools are "pubic schools" that are run by a different set of rules that takes money away from existing schools. They are a way to have non certified teachers and cut corners on things like lunches and transportation. It is a way to cut into the money set aside for public education to give those funds to for profit entities. So yea I know what they are. And for traditional public schools who think that they have an unfair advantage in athletics just refuse to play them... Put them in their own league if that helps. A 1A charter school in Raleigh has a huge advantage in athletics over say Elkin. So dont play them.

Last edited:
Perdue sucked but that was also during the recession. Amazing how we forget that.

Now we brag about a rainy day fund that just sits. What good are tax dollars if we aren't getting them back?

👆🏻this guy= fool. Well again unless you teach or coach then stfu. Maybe you can comprehend that. Charter schools are "pubic schools" that are run by a different set of rules that takes money away from existing schools. They are a way to have non certified teachers and cut corners on things like lunches and transportation. It is a way to cut into the money set aside for public education to give those funds to for profit entities. So yea I know what they are. And for traditional public schools who think that they have an unfair advantage in athletics just refuse to play them... Put them in their own league if that helps. A 1A charter school in Raleigh has a huge advantage in athletics over say Elkin. So dont play them.
I know the way I vote actually supports charter school (which I hate) so I guess I am ignorant but I do agree with my parties views on 99 percent of issues....getting back on topic I hate to say this but all charter schools are is legalized segregation

The appeal to authority doesn’t work. It doesn’t take being a coach or teacher to know why parents have options to pick schools. Pretty pathetic attempt on your part but fitting the rest of your poorly informed beliefs. Then you add more speculation based on those poorly formed opinions with no facts about for profit entities. They are run by a different set of rules because some people are willing to go with those options. Even with people screaming outside the schools reminiscent of Little Rock Arkansas.

The appeal to authority doesn’t work. It doesn’t take being a coach or teacher to know why parents have options to pick schools. Pretty pathetic attempt on your part but fitting the rest of your poorly informed beliefs. Then you add more speculation based on those poorly formed opinions with no facts about for profit entities. They are run by a different set of rules because some people are willing to go with those options. Even with people screaming outside the schools reminiscent of Little Rock Arkansas.
We not be as Learned it as u ar sir

• Haha
Reactions: DeBoer31
Yawn. Ok whatever

"It doesn't take a teacher or coach to know why parents have options".

Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat with nothing of substance.

I’m a parent with children in nc schools. Now find a cut/paste article to show your beliefs.
Or you might actually know whats going on instead of just putting what your beliefs, like someone who is actually in education.

appeals to authority or.... hear me out now, people who are living the experiences you are talking about. So who would you believe more, someone who only talks about surgeries or a surgeon that does said surgery on the regular ( on a topic about surgery).

appeals to authority or.... hear me out now, people who are living the experiences you are talking about. So who would you believe more, someone who only talks about surgeries or a surgeon that does said surgery on the regular ( on a topic about surgery).
I am living the experience as a parent.

so back to the phrase you learned and don't actually understand... Not an appeal to authority, its an appeal to experience and first hand knowledge.

If you are in fact actually trying to say people with experience and first hand knowledge should be considered the authority then I'm no longer sure what your argument is anymore?

If you are in fact actually trying to say people with experience and first hand knowledge should be considered the authority then I'm no longer sure what your argument is anymore?
Not surprising you are struggling with the concept. The quote function seems to be a struggle.

Previous clod tried to use the argument that we aren’t qualified to decide what is in our children’s best interest unless we are a teacher or a coach for some reason. That defense is laughable and you repackaging it isn’t any better.

No, I understand the quote feature but just know it's not always needed, You figured out what I was responding to just fine. To be clear (I'm not gonna read back through the whole thread but from what I skimmed) I don't believe the original argument was about what was good for your individual child (although you have tried making it that way), sometime emotions get in the way of intelligence and we feel personally attacked, but I believe it was that charter schools are hurting public schools and in turn will eventually hurt public school sports.

Reactions: DeBoer31
Then tell us about your experience.
Tell me about your understanding of the tax code and govt finance. I could use the laugh.

My experience will be the same for any parent that wants what is best for their children and their education. You guys can fall in the other camp that knows what is best.

No, I understand the quote feature but just know it's not always needed, You figured out what I was responding to just fine. To be clear (I'm not gonna read back through the whole thread but from what I skimmed) I don't believe the original argument was about what was good for your individual child (although you have tried making it that way), sometime emotions get in the way of intelligence and we feel personally attacked, but I believe it was that charter schools are hurting public schools and in turn will eventually hurt public school sports.
Skim less and read more then. It was never about my personal child.

Not surprising you are struggling with the concept. The quote function seems to be a struggle.

Previous clod tried to use the argument that we aren’t qualified to decide what is in our children’s best interest unless we are a teacher or a coach for some reason. That defense is laughable and you repackaging it isn’t any better.
Skim less and read more then. It was never about my personal child.

Although in a plural tense it seems like a pretty personal situation. You can lean on the what's best for our children line all you want but until it's available for all then it's not best for all, and it's only contributing to a failing system. Yes we would all do what was best for our child in any given situation... but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is hurting public schools and is not fair for all.

Also it's not about keeping the the schools the way they are, it's more about using the funds and resources to help the existing schools we have.

Options have always existed, Private school, religious schools, military school, boarding schools, magnet programs. All options other than charter schools.

Reactions: sammyk
Although in a plural tense it seems like a pretty personal situation. You can lean on the what's best for our children line all you want but until it's available for all then it's not best for all, and it's only contributing to a failing system. Yes we would all do what was best for our child in any given situation... but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is hurting public schools and is not fair for all.
Why’d you need three posts?

It is not a personal situation. Former clod tried to make it personal and unnecessary duplicate piled on. It’s ok if you weren’t able to read enough into the thread to pick that up. Well not ok but what I’m forced to work with.

As I’ve said before in regards to traditional public schools. Take steps to fix them and not by just eliminating choices. Making it “fair” for the overall group doesn’t help us.

Offering more options for a few and further spreading of the resources intended for all is not helping. Again I understand we will do what is best for our child, but it sure feels like we are separating into groups. Idk how you want to categorize those groups, could be just lucky vs unlucky but the lucky ones seem to be getting different opportunities than the masses on the masses dime. There were always different options but the individual had to pay for it, allowing funds to be diverted back into the public schools to benefit and better that option.

Although this is very political and maybe you are really just ok with the situation I have mentioned, that's on you and we can just have different beliefs. My original post was more about you trying to discredit (although referring to them as authority seems like a strange way to do it) teachers and coaches opinions on the matter. If I want to know about education, I would ask teachers and admin. If I want to learn about flying I would ask pilots, not passengers. If I want to learn about medicine I would ask doctors, not patients. If I want to learn about law I would ask a lawyer or judge, not a client. so on and so on. I would not categorize this as appealing to authority I would say this is leaning on people who have the experience and first hand knowledge more than the average person.

All this said I have come to the realization that this is less about what others are saying and more about you trying to justify something to yourself so I am going to go a head and bow out and not let this take up anymore of my day as I am not a therapist. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: sammyk
Charter schools are for educational purposes. If kids in school wanna play football they will know and really they should be playing in district they live in. No charters should have sports
So, does that mean "traditional schools" such as Maiden don't care for academics? Is it all about the sports? Your "No charters should have sports" and "Charter schools are for educational purposes" is frankly idiotic to say. Kids, no matter what school they attend, should have the opportunity for extra-curricular activities, and yes, even sports. Who are we to deny a student and their families a great "choice" of academics and yes, even sports? I can attest, at LCS, the lottery is done with an ethical and integrity process. I've witnessed many, many students wanting to attend LCS for academics and sports be told they are too far down the list to get in. The lottery is long and the odds of getting in are not in the favor of the students or families.
The advertisement, which I don't agree with, was probably done by the AD that is clueless to say the least. Again, most of the students that attend LCS are there for academics as most receive a good amount of academic scholarships.

Offering more options for a few and further spreading of the resources intended for all is not helping. Again I understand we will do what is best for our child, but it sure feels like we are separating into groups. Idk how you want to categorize those groups, could be just lucky vs unlucky but the lucky ones seem to be getting different opportunities than the masses on the masses dime. There were always different options but the individual had to pay for it, allowing funds to be diverted back into the public schools to benefit and better that option.

Although this is very political and maybe you are really just ok with the situation I have mentioned, that's on you and we can just have different beliefs. My original post was more about you trying to discredit (although referring to them as authority seems like a strange way to do it) teachers and coaches opinions on the matter. If I want to know about education, I would ask teachers and admin. If I want to learn about flying I would ask pilots not passengers. If I want to learn about medicine I would ask doctors not patients. If I want to learn about law I would ask a lawyer or judge, not a client. so on and so on. I would not categorize this as appealing to authority I would say this is leaning on people who have the experience and first hand knowledge more than the average person.

All this said I have come to the realization that this is less about what others are saying and more about you trying to justify something to yourself so I am going to go a head and bow out and not let this take up anymore of my day as I am not a therapist. Best of luck to you.
Charters cost less so resources are not being spread. So that is already factually incorrect. The one size fits all model is incredibly limited in scope and a 20th century approach to learning. We should be looking for new and better ways to offer kids opportunities. Not cramming them into the same system, which obviously seems like there is desire for movement away from.

The rest is haughty nonsense from someone trying to officiate and be above the fray. While obviously biased and incapable of basic functions and comprehension. Walk away in cowardice if you desire.

Ok sorry one more just because I want to. Less means not as much as... that doesn't mean 0. If 0 funding was being pulled from base public schools and going to the charter schools then what you are saying would be fact. Taking some money from the base public school funding and sending it to charter schools funding does indeed mean spreading the resources out, even if it is less, it is some. At least to my comprehensive level. IDK if it cost less per pupil is true or not so I will not talk to that being fact or not.

The problem is everyone tries to politicize everything, including the charter school dilemma. My how we forget the reason for the existence of Charters is how "traditional" education has failed everyone over the years. The rules governing extra-curricular activities were put in place because of coaches, students, parents, SCHOOLS, counites, and districts breaking the fundamental rules PRIOR TO CHARTERS. If a Charter is done correctly, say like LCS, they attract high level academia students wanting/deserving a better opportunity. If you walk the halls of LCS, I have, you will see all walks of life (white, black, Hispanic, Asian, boy, girl, rich, poor). LCS provides transportation, lunch, breakfast, and 100% of their staff is highly qualified. They don't cut corners, but they do offer a very rigorous academic platform and very competitive sports. If you do things the correct way, often growth, success, opportunity, etc often follows. And last time I checked, that is not a bad thing.

Reactions: superhasbeen
Ok sorry one more just because I want to. Less means not as much as... that doesn't mean 0. If 0 funding was being pulled from base public schools and going to the charter schools then what you are saying would be fact. Taking some money from the base public school funding and sending it to charter schools funding does indeed mean spreading the resources out, even if it is less, it is some. At least to my comprehensive level. IDK if it cost less per pupil is true or not so I will not talk to that being fact or not.
Congrats on understanding that less and 0 are not always the same. Education dollars are a pool and a group is using less of them per student then the per pupil is greater for the remainder. At no point is that stretching resources or whatever ludicrous term you tried to apply.

oh my guy is not perfect by no means....just better than what is in the office now
Not even close, except for that going to jail thing. Come on, this is a football place, please let old joe have his nap and Orange man will soon have a suit that matches his face color.
SOOO, how about those Bears, I hear another one signed a full ride scholarship last week.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
For one homeschool kids don't get free choice of where they participate in athletics. They have to play in their district. 2nd I actually have no issue with charter schools in principle. I'm for educational choices that best fit families. My only issue is the loose regulations on athletics compared to public school guidelines. Like I said before I think charter schools should just focus on education.

Read the statement again unless u physically move. Chris lived in town of Maiden
What about the two basketball players that transferred to Maiden in December who played for Lincolnton high school up until then?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT