ADVERTISEMENT

Charter schools

I maybe a little "byus' because I have dealt with two charter schools with my kid(one I hated and the last one was awesome), but how else is a new program supposed to let the community know they are offering something new?
Charter schools are for educational purposes. If kids in school wanna play football they will know and really they should be playing in district they live in. No charters should have sports

Coach Byus will have a good program there. They will leave and go there. Especially with the new increase in voucher program expansion more students will leave for Charter schools and privates. "White flight" is in full effect thanks to the Republican control of this state. Sad state of affairs if you believe in the concept of a free public education for all.

Last edited:
Coach Byus will have a good program there. They will leave and go there. Especially with the new increase in voucher program expansion. "White flight" is in full effect thanks to the Republican control of this state. Sad state of affairs if you believe in the concept of a free public education for all.
If players leave traditional schools and go there, it won't have anything to do with voucher expansion. Charter schools are publicly funded...there is no tuition to attend.

I'm not a big fan of charters, but I don't see the outrage at this ad. It clearly states that in order to attend, students must go through a lottery, which is supposed to be random selection.

Charter schools are for educational purposes. If kids in school wanna play football they will know and really they should be playing in district they live in. No charters should have sports
Schools are not just for educational purposes in my opinion. It's an overall experience. Should charter schools not have band? Are drama and glee clubs out too, or is it just sports they shouldn't have because it may affect certain schools?

Schools are not just for educational purposes in my opinion. It's an overall experience. Should charter schools not have band? Are drama and glee clubs out too, or is it just sports they shouldn't have because it may affect certain schools?
Those are classes u take during the day. Sports are after school extra curricular activities. U don't graded classes on sports

If players leave traditional schools and go there, it won't have anything to do with voucher expansion. Charter schools are publicly funded...there is no tuition to attend.

I'm not a big fan of charters, but I don't see the outrage at this ad. It clearly states that in order to attend, students must go through a lottery, which is supposed to be random selection.
Charter Lottery can be manipulated i asked lake Norman charter the coaches told me lottery system is only as secure as the school administration wants it to be

Reactions: btango
He made a ridiculous point. The only reason any charter, or any school that matter, shouldn't offer a sport is if their limited numbers would lead to injury. If a charter only has 100 boys then maybe football isn't in their best interest. Doesn't mean they can't field a baseball team or something like that.

Those are classes u take during the day. Sports are after school extra curricular activities.
Most marching bands are after school, as are I would bet 99% of clubs are after school. So ban all the clubs and travel to your home district to participate in such after school clubs? In my opinion, that just don't make sense.

Charter Lottery can be manipulated i asked lake Norman charter the coaches told me lottery system is only as secure as the school administration wants it to be
I agree if you have corrupt leadership, anything can be manipulated. My thing is this, tell me how many adults would break the law to get certain kids into a school? I bet that number is small and it would take a number of them to get together and conspire to have it done. Have you ever been to a charter school lottery process? I would say probably not. I have and if they are somehow switching names out in front of hundreds of spectators during the draw,they have also taken some magic classes also.

Some charters may be different and play fair but you can't tell me that the sports charter schools are going let the top athletes not win the 'lottery' almost every time. Especially in this case with a well respected coach in Mike Byus. He ain't going to LC unless football players are getting in.

Again, never seen a lottery from a charter but seen about 10 years ago where Lincoln charter won state in basketball and they were lucky from lottery

Some charters may be different and play fair but you can't tell me that the sports charter schools are going let the top athletes not win the 'lottery' almost every time. Especially in this case with a well respected coach in Mike Byus. He ain't going to LC unless football players are getting in.

Again, never seen a lottery from a charter but seen about 10 years ago where Lincoln charter won state in basketball and they were lucky from lottery
I'm not all the way sure about this situation but it's possible the school wasn't full.

If after a lottery, and school is not at full capacity, then it's open enrollment. A lot of charters are at around 50% capacity when they first open and then years later a lottery maybe needed when families see how the schools are compared to their home district school.

Thomas Jefferson in small Rutherford county several years ago had to have a lottery for the rising 7th graders and had almost 300 vying for 20 slots. What drew me to try to get in was they was a top 3 high school in NC for several years in a row and know other school west of Durham was in the top 10. I wanted my kid in their advanced curriculum.

Reactions: flyrod5518
I
I'm not all the way sure about this situation but it's possible the school wasn't full.

If after a lottery, and school is not at full capacity, then it's open enrollment. A lot of charters are at around 50% capacity when they first open and then years later a lottery maybe needed when families see how the schools are compared to their home district school.

Thomas Jefferson in small Rutherford county several years ago had to have a lottery for the rising 7th graders and had almost 300 vying for 20 slots. What drew me to try to get in was they was a top 3 high school in NC for several years in a row and know other school west of Durham was in the top 10. I wanted my kid in their advanced curriculum.
I Believe this school has 3 campus one in Denver one in proper lincolnton and I think one planned west west Lincoln area

Those sports charters should play up or have their own classification. Made no sense them competing in 1A with multiple college bound types that enrolled.

Wanna equal everything out the state just needs to open enrollment the whole state
If you kind of think about it, the state does have open enrollment. There are no rules from the state restrictions where you send your kid to school other than the school doesn't have to provide transportation if out of district. Other than that,you are free to send your kid to whatever school you want. On another thread,I saw where one school district transfer fee was around $300 for out of county and some are higher like Cleveland County were the transfer fee out of county is $1414/ year.

Reactions: beamer24
If you kind of think about it, the state does have open enrollment. There are no rules from the state restrictions where you send your kid to school other than the school doesn't have to provide transportation if out of district. Other than that,you are free to send your kid to whatever school you want. On another thread,I saw where one school district transfer fee was around $300 for out of county and some are higher like Cleveland County were the transfer fee out of county is $1414/ year.
Catawba county once u start a high school u can't transfer.. u have to physically move to another district to change schools

Catawba county once u start a high school u can't transfer.. u have to physically move to another district to change schools
Yes, locally there are different rules. But why does it say otherwise on your catawba county school website? It says on the actual school district website that you can transfer and the dates seem to be from June to July of each year. So according to the catawba county school district site, you don't have to physically move and they charge $1800/year for out of county transfers.

Reactions: beamer24
Yes, locally there are different rules. But why does it say otherwise on your catawba county school website? It says on the actual school district website that you can transfer and the dates seem to be from June to July of each year. So according to the catawba county school district site, you don't have to physically move and they charge $1800/year for out of county transfers.
U do realize there were lawsuits and huge uproar over this last 2 years in Catawba county. they kicked a kid out of school when he was living in Catawba county with his mother because someone took a picture of his dad at old house in another county. My niece lives with me and was going to maiden this last year. I had to go to the school and sign an affidavit saying she lived with me and it wasn't for sports reasons.

U do realize there were lawsuits and huge uproar over this last 2 years in Catawba county. they kicked a kid out of school when he was living in Catawba county with his mother because someone took a picture of his dad at old house in another county. My niece lives with me and was going to maiden this last year. I had to go to the school and sign an affidavit saying she lived with me and it wasn't for sports reasons.
You hit the nail on the head. Transfer with payment of tuition doesn’t necessarily qualify a student for participation in athletics.

Reactions: btango
No I have no idea about lawsuits. Just read the actual school policy. Maybe those transfers wasn't done in the certain time line. June 5-July 28th was the Catawba transfer request period for this current year. Also, its up to a principal whether they accept the transfer even if its granted by the district in a lot of cases.

No I have no idea about lawsuits. Just read the actual school policy. Maybe those transfers wasn't done in the certain time line. June 5-July 28th was the Catawba transfer request period for this current year. Also, its up to a principal whether they accept the transfer even if its granted by the district in a lot of cases.
Big word in there is request. Catawba county school office will not approve a request if said kid has any history of being an athlete.

Big word in there is request. Catawba county school office will not approve a request if said kid has any history of being an athlete.
Now that's where the lawsuits should come in. You can’t approve a band students request and not a tennis players request because they play a sport. As long as it's not stated the move is for athletic purposes, legally they can't pick and choose. Anyone having an issue with that, I have an excellent attorney contact that specializes in education issues.

Now that's where the lawsuits should come in. You can’t approve a band students request and not a tennis players request because they play a sport. As long as it's not stated the move is for athletic purposes, legally they can't pick and choose. Anyone having an issue with that, I have an excellent attorney contact that specializes in education issues.
The NCHSAA has statewide guidelines for transfer eligibility for athletics. That organization doesn’t govern other extracurricular activities. I suspect your attorney friend would be able to explain the difference.

Always with the hyperbole and seldom with the facts.
So charter schools are not taking away from traditional schools. Really. Those are facts. But the head in the sand routine is a little old. But good for you.

Last edited:
So charter schools are not taking away from traditional schools. Really. Those are facts. But the head in the sand routine is a little old. But good for you
As are homeschools and private schools. All benefitted from COVID shutdowns and those weren’t pushed by Republicans in legislature. Try smarter not harder this time.

As are homeschools and private schools. All benefitted from COVID shutdowns and those weren’t pushed by Republicans in legislature. Try smarter not harder this time.
So are we really going to go over how republicans have pushed charter and private schools. Really. Covid is over so why are private and charter schools getting money now. I’ll wait

So are we really going to go over how republicans have pushed charter and private schools. Really. Covid is over so why are private and charter schools getting money now. I’ll wait
You can wait as long as it takes you to find out public schools are still below pre pandemic levels. People made their changes because of the shutdowns and now here we are.

Reactions: state8392
You can wait as long as it takes you to find out public schools are still below pre pandemic levels. People made their changes because of the shutdowns and now here we are.
And republicans pushed charters. Remember Betsy Devoss. It’s not hard to find it

Last edited:
They gave options for students. The other side shut down schools for remote learning. Which is still being seen today all the misplaced anger and hyperbole aside.
To where it belongs to the general assembly. Ask your teachers and coaches about who is pushing charters and why but no need to discuss this with you. You got it. 👍.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT