ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Catholic vs South Meck

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
This game will be played on the 19th as well as Hough n MP game. This game looks to be played at Memorial Stadium at 5pm and Hough n MP at 8pm. Any thoughts or predictions.

Last edited:
While I do believe South Meck will be better this season n also the addition of the Former MP RB and all I believe they will be able to be competitive this season

with that being said ; I have Catholic winning here - CC 42 SM 17

I say Catholic 28-27 or something similar. I could see this being a very close game, maybe a special teams mistake or turnover could be the difference.

This is not your mother and fathers SouthMeck. Evans is on schedule just like he was at Indy until some brain surgeon forced him out..... and Charlotte Catholic is actually looking in the eye of the school that will start getting some of their talent if Evans continues to build. Garcia former Creek OC is the AD & Eric Rodgers former Creek Trainer as well are part of the SouthMeck staff. Resources and a culture at the largest school in CMS other than AK. You couple that with some very good high profile transfers and I think this is a close game....

Reactions: Chris_Hughes
This is not your mother and fathers SouthMeck. Evans is on schedule just like he was at Indy until some brain surgeon forced him out..... and Charlotte Catholic is actually looking in the eye of the school that will start getting some of their talent if Evans continues to build. Garcia former Creek OC is the AD & Eric Rodgers former Creek Trainer as well are part of the SouthMeck staff. Resources and a culture at the largest school in CMS other than AK. You couple that with some very good high profile transfers and I think this is a close game....
South Meck went to a regional final in 2008(I think) and had some great teams in 2014-15 time frame. Didn't get any of our players then.
So no, we are not looking into the eye of a school that'd take our talent. If anything, the Big 4 privates are the biggest 'threat' to taking our talent.

Hey. Careful with the insults. There are no brain surgeons at Independence. They have proven that over and over. Brain surgeons might be offended.

South Meck, on the other hand, is putting the pieces in place for a makeover. Their culture historically has suffered and it will take time. Won't be instant but they are doing what you need to do. They will surprise some people this year. Agree that this will be a close game.

So you like our extra point kicker better than their extra point kicker ?

It's not that I have to like your kicker, but oftentimes a special team's mistake can be critical at the most inopportune times. It doesn't even have to be the kicker, it could be a holder, snapper, or someone who misses a block, or it could even be a super effort by a member of the block team. I'm just saying, when it gets crunch time in big games, special teams plays become HUGE!

It's not that I have to like your kicker, but oftentimes a special team's mistake can be critical at the most inopportune times. It doesn't even have to be the kicker, it could be a holder, snapper, or someone who misses a block, or it could even be a super effort by a member of the block team. I'm just saying, when it gets crunch time in big games, special teams plays become HUGE!

Just picking at you Chris, All in fun and just protecting your reputation.. Your prediction looked too much like one Mr Honda would make. If this was last year I would argue that South would not score 4 times... but this is a different defense and I think this years offense has the ability to control the line of scrimmage better than last year. It will be interesting to see how many possessions each teams gets in this game. Great segment on Talking Preps last night!

Reactions: Chris_Hughes
Got a pretty close game so far. 6-0. SMeck had a td called back because of holding and a few questionable play calls doomed them for zero at the end of the first half.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Lightening delay. South's QB is scrambling well and our OL does not look very crisp. Catholic stalled on penalties twice and our best back is standing on the sideline without any pads. He is our biggest threat. We had a freshman from last year who played well in the state Championship game move over the Charlotte Christian. The two of them in the backfield would have been very special.

SM threw one pick in the red zone, and another in the end zone, right before halftime. Saber’s could easily be up in this game.

Bottom Line CCHS made plays including two good defensive play and one big offensive play, but overall they are not playing crisp. South has made two many mistakes but the two interceptions were good defensive plays, one on fourth down and long where the QB was running for his life and the other was with basically no time left in the half.

This game probably isn't going to be over until 9:30 at the earliest. Does NC still have that ridiculous rule where you can't play past 12am? If so, then they may as well move the Hough/Myers Park game until tomorrow or to another stadium.

These CLT Kickoffs seem to always have issues (no real fault to the organization) and it sucks because the matchups are usually must see imo.

South Meck had their chances and couldn't cash in. Should have had 3 scores in 1st half. They beat themselves as much as Catholic beat them. Turnovers and penalties killed them as they moved the ball and then stalled out in the red zone. Catholic took the air out of the game with their 9-10 minute drive beginning late 3rd quarter. They also had their best back on the bench. Somewhat sloppy first game as both teams have things to work on and still trying to figure who should play where. Jacob Newman from South is the real deal. Both teams will get better.

Bottom Line CCHS made plays including two good defensive play and one big offensive play, but overall they are not playing crisp. South has made two many mistakes but the two interceptions were good defensive plays, one on fourth down and long where the QB was running for his life and the other was with basically no time left in the half.
But it’s true my friend remote, the first game is not who you are. We have seen this many times with our young men in red. They will thrash Hicks of the Ridge On the 27th. And our FB banged up his shoulder a bit. He’ll be back in a week or two. Stay well my friend remote and see you at the K. 💪🏼

Reactions: Hog_1982
South Meck has definitely improved.
Very impressed with where they are. For the most of the game, they looked like the better team but they simply couldn't finish. They were bigger and more athletic than Catholic. The expectation of winning and the culture that goes with it is still in development. Catholic is used to playing in close games and simply does not tighten up in those situations. The goal is to keep it close and punish a team when they made a mistake. That 10+ minute drive essentially put away the game. It was demoralizing as South simply couldn't stop it once it got cranked up. All the offense could do was watch it methodically go down the field and grind away at the clock. Coach Evans has his team on the right track and they will make some noise this year. Good luck to them the rest of the season and happy not to be playing them in October.

South Meck went to a regional final in 2008(I think) and had some great teams in 2014-15 time frame. Didn't get any of our players then.
So no, we are not looking into the eye of a school that'd take our talent. If anything, the Big 4 privates are the biggest 'threat' to taking our talent.
The result I expected. Evans has this program on track Sorry Cougs you have Public & Private sharks around you now. Evans, Grier, etc....are going to draw kids and South Meck quality public education without the price tag will be a draw..... Enjoy 4A....

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
The result I expected. Evans has this program on track Sorry Cougs you have Public & Private sharks around you now. Evans, Grier, etc....are going to draw kids and South Meck quality public education without the price tag will be a draw..... Enjoy 4A....

SMH...Your hypothetical is meaningless...as we learned again this year it is the private schools taking a parochial school player that has always been an issue. All of our backs run hard but are not necessarily breakaway threats. One of our best breakaway threats left for Christian this year. He made a huge difference as a freshman in last years State Championship game. Last night our best breakaway threat was out and that was a huge difference maker in our offense. Those two kids in the same backfield together with our JR QB, our sophomore TE and five junior OL would be a very good unit for the next two years.

Kids go to a public school from our parochial middle school every year. Not expecting any change in that as you proclaim, except it seems like the private schools start recruiting our middle school parochial kids earlier than ever before. I did take notice that the Charlotte program who is most successful at recruiting went down last night. Maybe it is better just to develop your own players.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatholicCougs14
SMH...Your hypothetical is meaningless...as we learned again this year it is the private schools taking a parochial school player that has always been an issue. All of our backs run hard but are not necessarily breakaway threats. One of our best breakaway threats left for Christian this year. He made a huge difference as a freshman in last years State Championship game. Last night our best breakaway threat was out and that was a huge difference maker in our offense. Those two kids in the same backfield together with our JR QB, our sophomore TE and five junior would be a very good unit for the next two years.

Kids go to a public school from our parochial middle school every year. Not expecting any change in that as you proclaim, except it seems like the private schools start recruiting our middle school parochial kids earlier than ever before. I did take notice that the Charlotte program who is most successful at recruiting went down last night. Maybe it is better just to develop your own players.
Not sure their the most successful. The team that beat them would wear that crown in my humble opinion

Like we haven’t been before? Indy, Providence had good teams in 2000s, Butler, PD, Christian, Country Day and Latin at their peaks. We stay the same Terrance.

Drive was 20 plays, 95 yards and featured two passes. South Meck wanted none of it. All size doesn’t matter if you don’t want to line up and take on a lead blocker. Hint, they didn’t.

Reactions: footsoldier
Drive was 20 plays, 95 yards and featured two passes. South Meck wanted none of it. All size doesn’t matter if you don’t want to line up and take on a lead blocker. Hint, they didn’t.
South Mecklenburg has never wanted anything to do with us. They have beaten us once in nineteen years with some of these so-called “can’t be stopped” programs. They know the outcome when we show up or they come calling…..a backhand before being impaled on their sabres. Choke football at its finest.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91 and Hog_1982
South Mecklenburg has never wanted anything to do with us. They have beaten us once in nineteen years with some of these so-called “can’t be stopped” programs. They know the outcome when we show up or they come calling…..a backhand before being impaled on their sabres. Choke football at its finest.

Is that you or your wife in that picture? You sound like a damn church boy at the finest. I bet you know all about choking choir boy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT